LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What do you think is MOST EFFECTIVE babs treatment?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you think is MOST EFFECTIVE babs treatment?
oxygenbabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny but when I got lyme 5 years ago it was so bad, and yet caught early,I thought I might have babesia too. I tried to get tested but my own doc and good friend outright refused, and the ID doc agreed and then did a bait and switch, and tested again for lyme which was idiotic as I was highly positive on all m easures plus a bullseye.

Then about a year later I convinced an HMO doc to do a parasite smear but thats sort of like fishing for a needle in a haystack it was negative.

So recently on urging of 2 smart lymies I got a Fish test, I"m positive.

It m akes my whole case make sense. Everything falls into place.

Okay, so. I hate antibiotics because of the yeast problems i get, so terrifically bad, so I won't do mepron/zith besides people here seem to hvae to go through repeated courses.

I am very interested in artemisnin or arthemos the drug or even riamet and am researching them BUT of course this is modelled on malaria, not babs, and tho organisms may be simlar there is no proof they have the same susceptibilities.

Anyway, I don't want to start with an herb that is useful but builds resistance over time. IE I want to do the right thing to start with.

Someone else recommended malaraone and said some LLMD's are using low dose (100 mg a day I think?) and its working. But then a doc/friend who has lylme/babs told me malarone HAS mepron in it, and an antibiotic as well? Is that true or a misnomer?

I probably could do okay on antiprotozoals IF THEY DO NOT create fungal issues the way antibioticcs do. I turn into a total mess and cannot digest anything, my ears and sinuse get totally stuffed up etc.

I also foudn some interesting research about the antibabesial effect of antifungals, who nows.

What I"d like to know is what you all find is the MOST effective, for you individually. Not that this is ver ylogical on my part but I just want to hear.

I know one person who said nothing but larium got rid of it and the side effects were bad.

TIA.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have many of the same ideas as you.

I had acute Babesia symptoms last fall.

PCP thought it was malaria, prescribed doxy, 100 mg BID. When the fever stopped (immediately)that led me to ask for a Lyme Western Blot (that was positive).

Later my Babesia microti titer thru MDL was positive. So after 2 months of doxy, starting at 200 mg/d and working up to 600 mg/d I started Mepron and zith for 6 weeks. Not fun.

Anywho I have done a bit of reading on Babesia and malaria. It seems 2 drugs are necessary to prevent the development of resistance and one is usually an abx.

I searched for info on babs and riamet unsuccessfully. Larium- reading the psychiatric side effects was enough to dissuade me.

It may be that Mepron and zithro was effective for me. I have had 4 (monthly) negative tests for Babesai subsequent to tx, the latest being a Babesia microti panel from Igenex.

It appears Baesia is more difficult to treat than malaria.

Good luck.

Janet

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad it helped you. I'm reading the mepron buddies thread.

Why don't any mepron buddies take malarone--which is mepron plus something else?

Anybody ever take malarone?

Anybody look into riamet?

Thanx.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See this thread for a good discussion of riamet, arteether, etc.: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/034810.html

I did mepron/zith/art for 7 months -- almost a year after completing tx, I'm still sx free for babs.

Hubby relapsed within 2 months after 10 mo of the same tx. He's redoing mepron, this time with mepron/ketek, plus tinidazole, then Alinia(both antiprotazoals). So far, excellent results. We'll see if he relapses.

I think, now, that part of the babesia puzzle is treating any forms that infect the tissue (thus the tinidazole and alinia). In some forms of malaria, the liver cells are colonized; in babs, it may be the liver or the spleen or who knows what all else are usurped by hypnozoite like forms of babs.

Clearing up babs, then bart, has made a huge difference for us.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Thanx so much minou.
Its strange but, I may have sensed all along it was the complicating factor, but it isn't until I see it in black and white on a test result that I realize I must treat it. If I can figure out what's right for *me*, then, I have a feeling it'll make a difference.

Someone on another listed posted about heparin. I am now researching not just heparin but other sulfated polyanions, to see if there are also natural forms that theoretically might coat babs or bind to it. I've always been enaomred of that approach as a quiet way of disabling a pathogen simply by fooling it, by giving it something to bind to that is so similar to whatever it binds to on the cell to enter.

But there's no proof fucoidan for example would work like heparin.

I want to put somteing together for myself that is reasonably strong without hurting the liver too much or causing fungal side effects.

I can't believe I've been so idiotic as to not get a FISH test at least a few years ago. I also cant believe my trusted doc friend who had lyme himself twice could be so stubborn as to refuse to test me. I know he didn't want to test me because he was afraid if I did have babs he'd have to put me on heavy duty drugs, and he was afraid of that. Really dumb reasoning. I haven't seen him or gone to him in years but I'll have to write him a note. I also had him test me nearly 10 years ago for lyme and had band 93 which is actually diagnostic for late stage lyme. But my symptoms were relatively mild. Maybe I had a mild strain or was holding it in check pretty well who knows.I now realize given where I was and at what time that I got that first strain at about age 21. I taccounts for various weird symptoms I had and wsa very typically lyme, and yet, I did pretty well overall. It seems like some strains have OspC's that may not be that pathogenic. Nonetheless, he thought it was a negative test.

So much education is needed.

Anyway whatever I got 5 years ago resulting in a bullseye, was obviously a virulent strain of lyme plus babs. I had never been so sick in my life!

At least I had the right instincts!

And thank god for my HBO chamber. I'm convinced both bugs are suppressed by it. I was talking with the doc who gave me hbo ina clinic at 2.4 ata and we both agreed, babs is not oxygen loving. Its a mistake to think that since, like malaria, it likes hemoglobin because it likes the iron, that therefore it likes oxygen. Protozoa do not like oxygen...

sorry for the off topic.

Will appreciate feedback from anybody else. As to what works for you. TIA.

[This message has been edited by oxygenbabe (edited 29 July 2005).]

Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi oxygenbabe,

I am on Malarone, Plaquenil and Zithromax for Babesia. I have been taking Malarone for about a year..low dose and it works for me. (Pediatric dose)The combination controls my symptoms. If I stop..my symptoms come back.

My experience only but my yeast never really got under control until my babs infection got under control. I could eat nothing and never loose any weight.

Yeast can become out of control because your immune system can't fight it off..not just abx.

I hope you find something (the right combo )that works for you.

Good luck to you.

[This message has been edited by Beverly (edited 29 July 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Beverly (edited 29 July 2005).]

Posts: 6639 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had been on Zith/malarone during the babs treatment and It worked very well for that period of treatement - I have heard many say that to realy kill it off you need 21 day of the two with 1 week off and then 2 more cycles of the same - I had only one but moved on to the other co-infections - I am really not sure yet if the babs is gone but the air hunger is very minimum. Art and cats was used during the weeks off the abx If you can find some one who will give you the 3 treatments I have heard it really should take care of it.
Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 8 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Malarone is a pill which contains mepron and something else. The problem is that due to the 'something else' one is not able to take it in as high a dose as mepron alone.

My son has had a treatment of clindamycin & quinine, followed by years on antibiotics (on & off mepron many times). Although he is no longer testing positive for the Babesia (or the Lyme), I know it is still there. He is now herxing on Mepron/zithro/artemisinin combo.

Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mepron and zithromax was the magic bullet for me. Got rid of the babs for me....then my doc moved on to treat bartonella. That is one pesky bugger...very resistent to tx. But once rid of these two and on to lyme tx, I'm seeing nice improvement.
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Porsche
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Porsche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cootiegirl,

What Bart Tx are you on that is working?

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as a data point:

The hubby did heparin 10,000 iu/ml 1/cc intradermal daily for 10 months, along with doxy 100mg 2x daily, then tinidazole 500 mg 2x daily. This was before anything was known about coinfections, and after extensive abx of all kinds for LD (but nothing that would have touched either babs or bart). He still had babs after the heparin. Heparin tx was for his very high fibrin.

Not to say heparin can't be effective against babs; this is just our experience at this dosage.

Signed, the human test-tube.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Thank you all, this is so helpful and I hope others respond in time too.

Minou--I have to read more about heparin. Seems like doses required might be somewhat high and thus danger of hematoma or bleeding etc. Lower doses from my cursory scan of the lit might stimulate babs. So you'd need high doses. So, I'm not sure, it seems to me, maybe there are other GAGS that might help. I woulodn't think it would be a solo therapy. I instinctively went to fucoidan, it has modifilan in it which is also a good chelator and helped chernobyl victims so it would be a nice thing to take on its own anyway even if it did no good for babs.

Beverly I agree aobut yeast. but malarone for ayear--to control symptoms? I worry about ultimately breeding resisance if one suppresses long term.

john lyme, you say "art and cats", what is cats?

So nobody here took riamet? From my reading this looked like the best option but I could be wrong. Reason being it was a good one-two punch that was less likely to breed resistance. Abut its been used for uncomplicated malaria in resistant areas. There's not much on riamet and babs. So we know about 5 days of use. but for instnace one could pulse it once a month and do other stuff like artemisinin in between.

the thing is, i never know with me whether a drug will be totally intolerable or okay, same with an herb. my liver is really screwed up after the last 5 years. it really protests with some drugs. i may need to do a cleansing program first. who knows.

i am also trying to talk to scientists who DON'T work in lyme about some ideas, theirs, or mine. I know others are doing this too but maybe not in the same way I am.

sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, Riamet worked the best. It ALMOST got rid of babesia. I ordered another dose of it from the European online pharmacy, but US Customs/FDA is no longer allowing it into the US. I don't know how else to get it.

Mepron/zith also works for me, I'm back on it and feel better. I took malarone for a long time also (6 months). It suppressed the symptoms but didn't get rid of the babesia. Artemisinin didn't work for me. I'm considering adding it to the mepron/zith combo though, does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mepron made a big diffence, whereas I found Atermesia & Artemsin to be ineffective for me.

Part of the problem was that my 1st LLMD doesn't think Babs becomes chronic, so it went untreated for awhile. 1 week of Mep and Zithro gave me more progress than I'd had after a year of treatment.

[This message has been edited by Foggy (edited 30 July 2005).]

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine202
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christine202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done about 7 rounds of Mepron and Zith, although it packs a pwerful punch I saw marked improvement afterwards,,,

Now I have been on Malarone for almost a year...although not as powerful my night sweats have just about diminished. I take this along with Bactrim, IM Bicillan, and Ammox.

Posts: 437 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

sweet pea, why won't US allow it in? It's a legal drug, right?
I hope I don't have trouble getting it.
How long had you had babs and how much riamet did you take?

Foggy, when you say one week of mepron/zith compared to a year of treatment, do you mean a year of antibiotic/lyme treatment rather than babs treatment? How long did you stay on?

And 7 rounds--Christine, you mean of 6 weeks each? How many breaks in between, or was it just constant?

Thanx...

Erica
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if in addition to the medications, exercise is recommended for Babs, since they don't like oxygen. Does oxygen kill them?

Also, do you get yeast while following a strict no sugar diet? Sometimes I consume 2 or 3 servings of plain yogurt a day, especially when my ears start to get congested...

I'm suffering from babs now, and definitely need a new protocol too. Clindamyacin/quinine has not eradicated it for me...

Posts: 100 | From St. louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Yes, I must have systemic yeast and tho sugar/carbs makes it much worse, I don't eradicate it when I avoid them, I just lessen the effects.

Oxygen does kill at least some of lyme and some of babs. Maybe also suppresses growth.

I'm not energetic enough to do any sustained aerobic exercise of the kind that would help, I don't think. Mild biking, or walking is about it. I used to do stairmaster for 30 minutes, or swimming a mile and stuff. No longer.

Erica
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am definitely tempted by carbs but know how awful i feel if I cheat. It helps so much to keep no carb foods around--cheese, veggies, turkey, eggs and tons of yogurt. So when I feel congested, I will be absolutely strict for around 2 weeks...it really helps!

Posts: 100 | From St. louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, oxygen will not kill babs or bart, as they are both aerobic pathogens. So exercising, or HBOT will not help in the least to get rid of them. HBOT will kill lyme, but it will make babs worse. Oxygen therapy is bad news for coinfections unless you are absolutely sure of what you have, or don't have. Since tests are inconclusive, I would stay away from oxygen therapy.
Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Micul, you write:

'Actually, oxygen will not kill babs or bart, as they are both aerobic pathogens. So exercising, or HBOT will not help in the least to get rid of them. HBOT will kill lyme, but it will make babs worse. Oxygen therapy is bad news for coinfections unless you are absolutely sure of what you have, or don't have. Since tests are inconclusive, I would stay away from oxygen therapy'

This is not true where babesia is concerned. It is not an aerobic organism. It is a red blood cell protozoa that like malaria wants the heme from hemoglobin. It is not oxygen-seeking, in fact most protozoa are vulnerable to oxygen. The hyperbaric doc where I went a few years ago looked at blood under the microsocope before and after an hbo treatment and saw lots of dead babesia in the extracellular space.

I am pretty certain even my mild chamber suppresses if not kills it from my response.

In terms of bartonella, it is aerobic, so we don't know. The question is, does the enhanced immunity, free radicals generated etc by hbo, overall help fight off all kinds of pathogens? I know boejr, who has her own secrest, had lyme/bartonella, and is doing well with her chamber (deeper dives).

I will say that for me whatever yeast ormolds I have, fungi are facultative anaerobes meaning they can ferment OR use oxygen. So they will switch hit. So for me lots of hyperbaric can stimulate yeast.

[This message has been edited by oxygenbabe (edited 31 July 2005).]

sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oxygenbabe,

Riamet isn't available in the US, and US doctors won't give a prescription for it (or even talk about it). It is legal and commonly used in Europe and Asia for malaria. Just recently, US Customs and the FDA turned away my incoming package.

I have had babesia for 13 months. I used the Riamet at the end of February. You only take it for 3-1/2 days. It made me really exhausted but not sick.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oxygenbabe:
[B]sweet pea, why won't US allow it in? It's a legal drug, right?
I hope I don't have trouble getting it.
How long had you had babs and how much riamet did you take?

Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re arte:

Yeah, artemisinin didn't work for me on its own. But it did produce a flare, which gave me ammunition to request mepron even though I've never taken a babesia test, and it does improve my overall energy and shorten babesia relapses. I take it as maintenance for most of the month, and then pile it on during relapse days.

The babs treatment I took for nine of the past ten months was:

ketek 400mg/2x day
mepron 10ml/2x day
artemisinin 300mg/day (malaria dose is much higher)

I don't know if it's the best or not. The relapses have gotten shorter and shorter, so this month I have lowered the mepron dose and ramped up my bartonella treatment. So far, so good--if the babesia comes back, I'll just smack it for a few days with higher doses.

By the way, am taking LOTS of liver support with all this stuff.

[This message has been edited by liz28 (edited 31 July 2005).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

This thread and your answers have been invaluable to me, thanx.
Sweet pea, thats lousy. I think they must want to retain it for resistant malaria and are afraid of building resistance?
Or who knows. I don't trust US pharma industry at all.
Liz28, glad your relapses are lessening.
I really am leaning towards riamet, IF I can tolerate it. My liver is such a mess after 5 years that I can't tolerate drugs I used to. Hope I can tolerate riamet. I'm leaning toward short courses, with other methods in between. I'll have to figure out my own protocol. As usual, I seem to need to run my own treatments

micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O2 babe

Some forms of babs are aerobic. I am glad that you feel that mild HBOT is helping you. It would be intersting to have a Pathologist that was not connected with HBOT Tx's examine your red blood cells after a dive to see if he came up with the same conclusion. It is also true that some pathogens have the ability to become switch hitters when it comes to surviving in aerobic or anerobic environments. It could be that the benefit you feel from your dives are due only to Bb destruction.

Enzyme activities related to glucose metabolism in Babesia microti and Babesia rodhaini.

Shikano S, Shimada T, Nakada K, Hashiguchi R, Ono K.

Department of Veterinary Clinical Pathobiology, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Tokyo, Japan.

A comparative study was carried out on the glucose metabolism in Babesia microti (BM) and Babesia rodhaini (BR) by analyzing the enzyme activities. The lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) activity in BM showed significantly lower values than that in BR, whereas citrate synthase (CS) and malate dehydrogenase (MDH) activities were remarkably higher in BM. In addition, pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH), isocitrate dehydrogenase (ICDH), alpha-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase (KGDH), and succinate dehydrogenase (SDH) activities also tended to be higher in BM. Then, the change of enzyme activities related to the proliferation of parasites was examined. In BM infected mice, the parasitemia increased from day 15 to day 19 after inoculation (a.i.). While BM showed decrease of G6PD and LDH activities at day 19 a.i., it showed remarkably increased activities in CS and MDH (368 and 8,842 nmol/min.mg protein, respectively). In addition, PDH, ICDH, KGDH, and SDH activities also tended to increase from day 15 to 19 a.i. In BR infected mice, parasitemia increased from day 9 to day 12 a.i. LDH activity showed a considerable increase at day 12 a.i. (12,920 IU/mg.protein). Although CS and MDH activities also showed a slight increase at day 12 a.i., the activities of PDH, ICDH, KGDH and SDH didn't change from day 9 to 12 a.i. Since these changes observed in the enzyme activities of BM and BR seemed to be correlated with their proliferation, it was suggested that BM and BR depended on aerobic and anaerobic pathways, respectively, for their glucose metabolism.

PMID: 7756434 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Thanx for the ref.
I know my doc found lots of dead babesia in the blood after 2.4 ata (2000% more 02)

At 1.3 ata you get 200-400% more 02. Its hard to know how bacteria survive this even aerobic ones.

Fungi are almost like us, in the animal kingdom and with far more rigid cell walls etc. So, I don't think what affects them applies as well.

I now think babs is THE complicating factor since the lyme I had from age 21 on, that first bite, DID cause very upsetting episodic ailments but I functioned well enough to be travelling the world and live abroad and exercise etc. Nothing like what happened 5 years ago, adn clearly the one difference is babesia. I suppose it could also be a wild type borrelia strain.

I was thinking of buying a microscope and testing my blood but I'm too overwhelmed with other work and health stuff and all the time that consumes. I really would like to learn to do that and think I could if life had more time space and ease in it

I suppose if I visit the town that doc moved to, since there are mild chambers there, I could have her test me. I visited last summer but am not going this summer.

liz28
Unregistered

Hi, just sending this back to the top. A bunch of people have sent emails recently about relapsing babs, thought this might add some info.

Since my relapses got worse, I just sent a packet of research to my doc in the hope he'll okay this drug primaquine. It's used for relapsing malaria:

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/30003755/

Am still working on a safe and legal way to get Riamet, which is sold in the UK and Europe. Actually, a round trip plane ticket to England costs less than one bottle of mepron. You can learn more about Riamet by working with travel clinics and travel doctors.

breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had a bear of a time getting rid of the babs this time around.
Actually, I had a rough time of it with my first infection too...nine months of Mepron and zith...cut my titre in half for WA1 strain, and stalled.

We tried Biaxin and Flagyl, which helped a bit more...but stalled.

Then we hit it with the Larium protocol...large loading dose followed by weekly doses for however long it takes. That, plus a bottle of lorazepam for the anxiety that comes with it, did the trick finally.

Then I was bitten again....

New WA1 infection along with more lyme. We started with Larium as I was impatient to get rid of it....No dice, didn't even make a dent. Then Biaxin and flagyl, no dent....Now I'm on Ketek and Tinidazole and artemisinin. Titres are lower but not clear by far.

We hesitate to go back to Mepron as I am also have Celiac disease and process fats poorly in my gut. Mepron must bind with a fat to be absorbed and I absorb fats poorly...

After two years of this I'm ready to give Mepron another try. I've been on a gluten free diet for the Celiac for the last year, so maybe my fat issues have lessened. Something's gotta give, that's for sure.

Since starting the artemisinin at six capsules twice a day my babesia miseries have diminished significantly. I thought that my babs tests would come back negative as I was feeling much better...no night sweats, neck pain or shortness of breath...No dice. They are still high.

I don't know what we'll do next. I am very anemic and need to take iron...Here's the rub. Taking iron orally blocks absorbtion of the artemisinin. Go figure. Something definitely has to give here.

To add to the mix, my husband has esophageal cancer and I can't deal with any major upsets right now. We've finished chemo and radiation and he's having major surgery on Jan 9. Larium is definitely not on the agenda right now. That could be a major mistake...me flipping out while my honey needs me...or totally knocked out on lorazepam and unable to be there for him. Nope, not gonna happen.

It's time to rotate off the Ketek and Tinidizole too...been on it for almost six months..Oh well, I may just have to bite the bullet.

We shall see!
Carol Ann

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

I could be wrong but it seems to me if all other drugs have failed your doctor is allowed to write an Rx for a European drug for 'personal use' (riamet) and then you can import it. Again I coudl be wrong. Please check about that. I know AIDS patients get stuff that way so why shouldn't you if you've failed larium and mepron. Thru the grapevine I hear several courses are necessary and you may still relapse.

To be frank I closely reviewed ALL the literature and I don't think you ever get rid of it, so if art. is helping clinically that's great. Not one drug in existence actually gets rid of babesia, I think I mentioned a study where they passed the "clean" drug-treated babesia free blood on to uninfected healthy dogs and some got babesia. So it must have a dormant form. Same with spirochetes, do you ever get rid of every last one I don't think so.

Thanx for bringing this up to the top again. I haven't addressed babesia yet.

JimBoB
Unregistered

Oxygenbabe:
I can definitely RELATE with you on your doc NOT wanting to test you.

My duck has also had Lyme TWICE, and I STILL have not been tested for Lyme or anything else for that matter.

He clinically diagnosed me about 5.5 years ago for Lyme, and gave me 24 days of Cipro. And THAT was that.

Since then nothing, and I have really been bugging him lately. BUT NOW it is on hold as he is waiting to get "current" info on the Bowen test as it is what I requested and he had never even heard of before. I guess the 2005 info "I" gave him was not enough.

THEY are so controlled by the "mainstream" system, that they can't think beyond that. PLUS I think they FEAR being sued, so will NOT deviate from "normal" protocol.

hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys, I'm in Europe (Switzerland) but I'm pretty sure I can't get my hands on Riamet if it's an antibiotic.

I'll try to convince my doctor to prescribe me next time I see her.

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that babesia is very tough to get rid of..I've been at this battle over babs for five years now....done repeat courses of just about everything....I'm perfectly willing to keep at it, just hoping for a new idea...

I agree that if artemisinin is keeping the symptoms at bay, I should keep on it. If there is nothing that can rid the body of babs, then symptom control suits me.

My LLMD says that he has a few cases of the WA1 strain that are particularly resistant to treatment. My daughter's microti strain responded to Mepron very well...I'm just glad that I'm the one with the more difficult strain. She's a college student and needs all the bugs dealt with yesterday.

Thanks for the ideas and support!
Carol Ann

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine202
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christine202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oxygenbabe - I did 21 day cycles of Mepron and Zith with a week or 2 to clear out... I did 6 rounds of this.

I am on Malarone continously....

It is discouraging..... It seems I have only kept the babesia at bay if I take a drug for it...but I had problems after not treating it for 3 years and it came back....

Posts: 437 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

I'm working on a cure. [bonk]
But I am. However I need not only genius but grace and tons of luck. Because I have some funding but not enough for MIC's etc.
So I'll have to rely on my mystical side plus my scientific--well I already figured out the scientific.
So give me 2-5 years to cure these f****ing bugs for us all. And pray!

BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oxybabe I will send you a prayer [Smile]

best regards,

boejr

--------------------
Please consult your LLMD before making any changes to your treatment regimen.

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody,

I would like to thank everybody here to have given me the idea look for Riamet here in Switzerland.

I got it!!!!! The doctor was not happy to prescribe me, but I convinced him to!! He told me "this is not a good way to do medicine, but I'll prescribe it to you." The last time I went to see him, he even didn't know what babesia was (I explained to him)....

No way I could get the drug directly in the pharmacy here in Switzerland. But I could have told him I was travelling in a place with Malaria falciparum and could take it as preventive medicine.

It costs about 50 euros (70 swiss francs).

Thanks a lot!!!
Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just made a trip to Mexico
and I am not 100% sure
but I think the pharmicist
asked me if I wanted Raimet--
and that the pharmacy had it-

My spanish is poor and his
english was not much better--
so I did not figure out
what he said till hours later--

--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just cruised thru here and spotted this and I've posted about it before but I bet it's time to bring it up again...

I don't have the article at hand but...mepron was developed to treat a type of parasitic pneumonia that AIDS patients get. The drug of choice previously was Bactrim(or Septra or SMZ/TMP or cotrimoxazole or a gazillion other names; same stuff.)

problem being that maybe a quarter of the population is intolerant to the sulfa in Bactrim.

But one would think there would be some overlap in treatment efficacy in other parasitic diseases, wouldn't one??

And just to envelop myself in a cloud of cynicism, Bactrim costs about as much as aspirin and Mepron is a monthly payment on a Hummer plus a Harley. So why the Mepron??

The two babsies in this household drank the yellow paint for a couple of months(plus the obligatory zith of course) and the babs symptoms came back immediately after stopping.

Using Bactrim and Artemisinin the symptoms stayed away for months between treatment rounds. I guess you could toss a macrolide into the mix if you wanna.

Now this is just a tiny two patient study and I'm no medical professional (when I started researching this Lyme stuff I thought Huntington's chorea was a travellog)

But it makes sense now why I got such instant relief from Bactrim, I may have been treating babs that I was just shunting aside as a nuisance.

Worth a try If you're not allergic to sulfa...

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fwiw:
using the malarial model for babs., one, in vitro experiment showed that something in
hog pancreas(e.g.,pancreatin off the store shelf) kills p.falc. at two stages,one developmental stage, and at the adult stage.
hog pancreas contains at least 12 known enzymes, and there are enzymes, as yet unidentified, i beleive.

mellitin(from honey bee venom)only gets p.falc. at some stage of development toward adulthood, i think an early to mid-developmental stage.

you can pull this up from med. abstracts, this site. its a comparative analysis of the effects of hog pancreas, and bee venom on p.falciparum.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

The other night I was sort of mystically "scanning" substances that might help me (sounds bizarre and woo-woo, but after a terrible tooth extraction that fractured my socket, loosened a piece of bone, required more surgery, I feel tho it looks healed Ihave infection percolating as there is still pain soreness etc). So I'm "scanning" which essential oils would kill whatever is in there and I strongly feel that cinammon and teatree will. So I have to buy some cinnamon oil and i did order it online. I also got the "feeling" I must dilute the cinnamon, and it does say online you can't put it on straight.

Haven't done it yet but anyway I scanned a little more and asked the question, What's good to treat my babesia?

And I got the answer: "Celandine. Greater." So I spent a ton of time on researching greater celandine yesterday adn there is just no indication anywhere in the literature as to it treating babs or any similar organisms, tho it may be correct as an intuition. It's used in liver disease and in cancer. Yet, it was such an odd answer and I've had so many mystical occurrences in my life including strong premonitions out of nowhere to avoid lyme the day I got it (and I tried my best, avoided all tall grasses, even petting my acquaintance's dogs only on their heads as I felt they might have ticks...but did not avoid the little manicured garden in her front yard where, once we were standing in it, she announced that the deer ate a certain flower, at which point I looked down at my sandals, thought, "Oh ****" and immediately left the garden for the gravel driveway but apparently too late...bullseye rash 12 days later...anyway...)

If anyone has any thoughts about greater celandine or is working with any herbalists let me know. I thought I'd email Stephen Buhner about this and see what he thinks. It's so out of left field and I didn't even really know what the herb was for so I tend to trust these "visitations" of intuition.

liz28
Unregistered

Hey, Oxygenbabe, take a scan on this. There's a drug that cures relapsing malaria in two weeks. It costs $16 per course, and has been used around the world for 50 years.

http://www.doctortravel.ca/primaquine.asp
http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/907368749.html

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

I wonder if babesia nests in the liver too.
sunnyslumber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnyslumber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Liz28, i found about 10 pubmed abstracts on primaquine and babesia; which deal mostly with cats. It seems to be able to cure the infection but not to sterilize the blood so there still must be some form of babesia which survives. It would be interesting to see if there are any recent babesia phylogenetic trees which show the closeness of that babesia species to Babesia Microti and WA1.

Oxygenbabe posted an abstract of a study in which they found two new 8-aminoquinolines, the same family as primaquine; still not approved by the FDA (at least as of about a month ago) to be very effective against Babesia Microt in hamsters. Found this study on babesia meds and am confused. Unfortunately it appears that testing these drugs for Babesia has been discontinued...

There also is an abstract about some non-classical antifolates (i.e. same mechanism as trimethoprim in bactrim) being effective in babesia bovis. The toxicity of antifolates in babesia bovis. However, If my memory is right [Roll Eyes] , those drugs are also toxic to us.

The suggestion on primaquine, imo is probably a good one, but it also may be that as of now there is no one drug...

john

--------------------
"...reading the Meditations for long periods can be conducive of melancholy."
--qtd. in intro to Meditations

Posts: 122 | From San Diego, CA, California, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Hi, Sunnyslumber. Primaquine doesn't kill malaria in the blood, either. It's taken along with other malaria drugs, usually doxycycline or malarone, to ensure that the malaria doesn't return. It's also taken as a preventative while traveling in malarial regions of the world.

Since babesia can be killed by all the other malaria drugs (artemisinin, Riamet, doxy, malarone, mepron, lariam), and primaquine has been found effective against almost all forms of relapsing malaria, not just the two or three most well-known variants, there doesn't seem to be any reason it would be wholly ineffective.

But if you try it, be sure to either be tested for the genetic glucose deficiency that can cause negative side effects, or take the 8-week course instead of the 2-week course, which is just as effective but not as toxic to the system.

I haven't tried it yet because I'm flat broke, and probably won't have enough money to visit my doc for another 2-3 weeks.

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lowered PFK levels also cause anemia (this happens to our astronauts primarily due to oxidative stress...sound familiar?).

However, if you have absolutely TESTED positive for babesia, this might be of interest:

(Note the date.)

J S Afr Vet Assoc. 1976 Mar: 47 (1): 29-33

The diagnosis and treatment of acid-base deranged dogs infected with Babesia canis.
Malherbe WD, Immelman A, Haupt WH, Walzl HJ.

A study was made of the acid-base status of Babesia canis infected dogs judged unlikely to recover after specific babesicidal drug therapy despite the use of blood transfusion and other conventional supportive measures.

Such cases were invariabley acidotic and responded well and often dramatically to supportive intravenous sodium bicarbonate administration.

Elevated blood urea nitrogen, also responded gratifyingly to this procedure. The rationale is discussed in some detail.

http://www.sodbrennen-welt.de/science/1976/1976_4617.htm

The link still worked when I checked it a few weeks ago.

We know Na compounds are powerful destroyers of pathogens, but Mg compounds are even more powerful (Dr. Pierre Delbet and others...many years ago).

Posts: 9426 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement