LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Effects of Lipids on Protozoa

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Effects of Lipids on Protozoa
DiffyQue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiffyQue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the following passage in a medical treatise that I've transcribed into this post from the text. The treatise is entitled:

"Research In Physiopathology As Basis of Guided Chemotherapy With Special Application to Cancer," by Emanuel Revici, M.D. Scientific Director, Institute of Applied Biology, New York, NY., Chief of Dept. of Oncology, Trafalgar Hospital, New York, N.Y., D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc., 1961

Section in text:
P. 158. "Effects of Lipids on Protozoa"

"The effects of lipids upon monocellular organisms, especially tetra-hymna pyriformis, were studied and an effort
made to relate the nature of the main changes induced in these protozoa to changes observed at the cellular level of complex organisms. An initial effect was noted on the polarity in protozoa which seemed to be oppositely influenced by long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and sterols. Lipids with a positive character were seen to induce a change in the form of protozoa causing them to become almost round, a change considered to correspond to reduced polarity. Lipids with a negative character had an opposite effect; the tetrahymna became abnormally elongated.
The administration of higher amounts of polyunsaturated fatty acids was seen to induce immediate changes localized at the anterior pole of the organism, changes which ultimately lead to the breakdown of the membrane particularly at this point. This effect parallels in intensity the degree of desaturation of the fatty acids."

" Other changes were seen in growth rate and survival time and, thus, in the aging process.(Note 34)(Fig.74)[see book for photo, and note]
" At the same time, resistance to heat was seen to increase as the result of treatment with negative lipids, while it decreased after treatment with the positive sterols.(Note 35) The same influence upon the aging processes, as manifested in a prolongation of the life-span, was noted for polyunsaturated fatty acids with a long chain and even for some members of the saturated series but with a shorter chain."
END

The last part of the last sentence brought to mind lauric acid, a short carbon chain, saturated fatty acid; chemically, a carboxylic acid. This has activity against, at least, some yeast, fungi, and viruses, as well.

dq

[This message has been edited by DiffyQue (edited 25 May 2004).]

[This message has been edited by DiffyQue (edited 27 May 2004).]

[This message has been edited by DiffyQue (edited 10 January 2005).]

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiffyQue
Member # 3317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiffyQue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Thanks Bryan,

I've been using Monolaurin by Ecological Formulas; it contains inosine and calcium ascorbate. I don't know the purpose of the inosine, though.

What is the concensus of opinion on the dose of lauricidin for lyme, and anything else?

I read somewhere that 3-5gm are used.

Thanks for reply

dq

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiffyQue
Member # 3317

mispost

twoangie
Member # 1636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twoangie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DiffyQue,

Thanks for bringing this up. I was actually pulling some stuff off the PubMed site a few days ago along a similar vein. I was trying to understand the lipid relationship with parasites but I think I'm going to have to consult a book or two to understand this better so I know what I'm getting when I pull up those abstracts.

Basically, my take here is pretty much the things we already know in laymans terms -

animal fats = bad : and from what you've posted, nourish the organisms (which likely explains why they increase joint pain)

Omega 3 fish and plant oil = good : and discourage the little beast (thus reducing the joint pain)

Feel free to add any additional information or give me a less scientific explanation if I got it wrong. Like I said, I need to review the info in a book for a better understanding first.

Thanks,

Angie

Posts: 1993 | From Charlotte, NC, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mispost

[ 19. November 2005, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: pq ]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this my be a sagway but still in the same vain. What about Phosphatidycholine - this also acts within the whole cholesterrol chain. My doc has me on this orally - Also know in what is called "essencial" injection stuff.
Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

up
pq
Member # 6886

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Using acids to destroy proteins...if you are a girl...who hasn't applied H2O2 to blood stains?

Research Vicks Vapo Rub...and nutmeg...in depth.

Keep in mind H16...

No, can't use WD40 topically. NOT! Too bad.

"Chemically, citric acid shares the properties of other carboxylic acids."

"The carboxyl group is weakly acidic and all carboxylic acids neutralize OH."

"Around 1933, Fritz Haber and Joseph Weiss first proposed that hydroxyl free radicals (�OH) were produced when superoxide and hydrogen peroxide react together:"

Reduce free radicals...yes indeed!!!!

Related: Melatonin now being researched with regards to cancer. MT stimulates antioxidants.

Citric acid...citrates...INactivate PFK...

Posts: 9426 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

up
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi DQ --

This is interesting too..

Killing of Gram-positive cocci by fatty acids and monoglycerides.

Bergsson G, Arnfinnsson J, Steingrimsson O, Thormar H.

Institute of Biology, University of Iceland, Reykjavik.

The susceptibilities of three Gram-positive cocci to medium-chain saturated and long-chain unsaturated fatty acids and their one-monoglycerides were studied. The bacteria were incubated with equal volumes of lipid solutions for 10 min. Lauric acid, palmitoleic acid and monocaprin reduced the number of CFU by 6.0 log10 or greater at 5 mM concentration for streptococci of group A (GAS) and group B (GBS). When further compared at lower concentrations and after longer incubation time monocaprin proved to be the most active. Capric acid showed the highest activity against Staphylococcus aureus at 10 mM. However, at lower concentrations monocaprin was the only lipid that showed significant activity against S. aureus. The mode of action of monocaprin against GBS was studied by a novel two-color fluorescent assay of bacterial viability and by electron microscopy. The results indicate that the bacteria are killed by disintegration of the cell membrane by the lipid, leaving the bacterial cell wall intact. The highly lethal effect of monocaprin indicates that this lipid might be useful as a microbicidal agent for prevention and treatment of infections caused by these bacteria.

PMID: 11890570 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take coconut oil, have been for well over a year for this reason. I believe we best assimilate things in their natural state with all the other components...

Much of the recent research on coconut has been done by Dr. Mary Enig.

Dr. Enig has classified coconuts as a "functional food," which provide health benefits above and beyond nutrients. She has specifically identified lauric acid as a key ingredient in coconut products:

"Approximately 50% of the fatty acids in coconut fat are lauric acid. Lauric acid is a medium chain fatty acid, which has the additional beneficial function of being formed into monolaurin in the human or animal body. Monolaurin is the antiviral, antibacterial, and antiprotozoal monoglyceride used by the human or animal to destroy lipid coated viruses such as HIV, herpes, cytomegalovirus, influenza, various pathogenic bacteria including listeria monocytogenes and helicobacter pylori, and protozoa such as giardia lamblia. Some studies have also shown some antimicrobial effects of the free lauric acid."

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

excellent stuff Mo. i resurrected this post hoping others would have more info on lipids--fatty acids and sterols, and the effects on pathogenic microbes.

been meaning to get enig's book.

i read excerpts and summaries of her works on coconut sites.

with out supporting reference at the moment, i heard a blurb on the positive effects of coconut oil on the thyroid functioning. however the person mentioning it didn't get specific enough about the "how and what" of this effect on the thyroid gland.

welcome
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for welcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The patented products Activar C-11 and I believe C-Med 100 are standardized to a Carboxyl Alkyl Ester content of a minimum of 8%.

I presently don't know where to find them.

Posts: 294 | From nevada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The acids pull the minerals out of storage.

Careful...to0 acidic is harmful!!!

It is during sleep that the body removes waste and is in an anabolic state restoring and replenishing the body.

If the patient has a saliva pH of 5.5 at this time and only 5.6 after eating, you know that this person has

no alkaline reserve

and that his body is devoid of the minerals necessary to process food properly--his body cannot adequately respond to the physiological crisis of handling food.

3. The pH of your saliva after you eat gives an indication of what the mineral reserves of your body are (the pH number should increase after you eat). My son just thought of a lemon for a minute and the pH of his saliva went up a whole point.

He had enough reserve minerals, which are basic, to pull into his digestive system to begin the digestive process. The ideal saliva pH pattern is 6.8 on awakening, 7.0 before eating and 8.5 following breakfast.

Besides just thinking of a lemon one can eat one. This is a simple test that can be done at most any time of the day.

It too checks the adequacy of the alkaline reserve of the body. When a healthy person with adequate alkaline reserves takes a bite of highly acid lemon, the saliva pH drops sharply for an instant but returns almost immediately to pH 8.5.

The more acidic the food that is eaten, the more rapid the response of the alkaline reserve, and the higher the saliva pH should be following a meal.

http://www.euroamericanhealth.com/test.html

[ 02. December 2005, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9426 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

up
pingpong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pingpong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

--------------------
pingpong

Posts: 361 | From At the Pingpong Tournament | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pingpong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pingpong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for further discussion

--------------------
pingpong

Posts: 361 | From At the Pingpong Tournament | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting. I'll have to read this over again when I can digest it better.

Does this have anything to do with lipid replacement therapy?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_285/ai_n19170372/pg_7

---

I took this supplement recently (see below) & I herxed alot.

Neuro Optimizer

Neuro-Optimizer� is nutrition for the brain, combining CDP Choline (cytidine 5'-diphosphocholine, also known as Citicoline), Phosphatidylserine, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L-Carnitine, L-Glutamine and Taurine to enhance brain metabolism and antioxidant protection.*

Citicoline (CDP-Choline) is a naturally occurring, water-soluble biological compound that is an essential intermediate for the synthesis of phosphatidylcholine, a major constituent of the gray matter of brain tissue (30%).* Citicoline promotes brain metabolism by enhancing the synthesis of acetylcholine and restoring phospholipid content in the brain.*

PS (Phosphatidylserine) supports the brain's physiological processing of stress and promotes neuronal communication by its effect on cell membrane fluidity.* The antioxidants Acetyl L-Carnitine, Alpha Lipoic Acid and Taurine provide protection for the neurons from damage caused by certain free radicals.* Acetyl L-Carnitine, Alpha Lipoic Acid and L-Glutamine also support energy utilization by their effects on fatty acid metabolism, oxidative decarboxylation and gluconeogenesis.* Taurine also aids in osmoregulation (maintenance of proper concentrations of ions) inside the cell.*

Neuro-Optimizer� is a safe, natural way to enhance brain metabolism and cognition without the use of stimulants.*

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njgirl14
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njgirl14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't read the article posted yet but this sounds similar to the Dr Patricia Kane's protocol. Has anyone else tried this protocol?

Johnlyme is the PC part of this protocol?

Posts: 262 | From nj | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pingpong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13706

up for further discussion

--------------------
pingpong

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi pingpong!

I'm looking into the Lauricidin... Sounds interesting!

Also -

Products that Advance the Quality of Life

Nutritional Therapeutics (NTI) is proud to provide the highest quality natural products available for optimal health. NTI utilizes FDA-recommended Good Manufacturing practices to insure that each ingredient is of the highest purity and specified amount. NTIis committed to the research and development of products that have been clinically proven safe and effective. NTI is the manufacturer of NT Factor�, your source for the highest functional non-oxidized lipids in the human body.

NT Factor is a medically proven formula of food-based nutrients that serve as the tablet base for many of the NTI products. NT Factor is a nutrient compound that has been labeled as Lipid Replacement Therapy in published peer-reviewed medical journals. NT Factor is a proprietary blend of phospholipids, probiotics and growth media (food) for healthy GI flora. Lipid Replacement Therapy (LRT) is the replacement of oxidized phospholipids in cell and mitochondrial membranes with healthy vital phospholipids from NT factor. Animal studies show that NT Factor would support all the biological markers for increased longevity including the preservation of energy and nerve function, and the prevention of age-related genetic damage. Human studies showed NT Factor could return people's vitality to levels normal for half a lifetime earlier. NT Factor is the most important discover in nutritional science in more than 50 years and demonstrates that the promise of better living for a longer time is possible now.

The Science of NT FactorTM

Lipid Replacement Therapy (LRT)

A variety of agents, outside and inside the body, cause oxidative stress, resulting in cellular deterioration and causing the first outward clinical sign of fatigue. The most damaging is our energy production process. When mammals produce energy, oxidative stress in the form of reactive oxidative species (ROS) is produced as a normal byproduct. ROS are a type of free radical that destroys cell and mitochondrial membranes. When cell membranes deteriorate, they lose fluidity and electrical potential, including the ability to absorb critical nutrients into the cell for optimal functioning, energy production and detoxification. Emerging medical science shows that, membrane deterioration can lead to conditions, such as, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, diabetes, asthma, cardiovascular complications, and aging. Researchers have found that NT Factor, via key phospholipids, improve and maintain the fluidity of cell membranes. This action promotes effective absorption of nutrients, proper cell functioning and increased energy production. Lipid Replacement Therapy (LRT) is essentially the delivery of phospholipids through the cell, via the unique NT Factor nutritional therapy. While LT focuses on maximizing membrane fluidity and increasing mitochondrial function, NT Factor phospholipids nourish and strengthen membranes. These unique fatty acids also revive cellular metabolism; and optimize cellular energy production, and thus, improve overall energy of the body -- as well as supply a myriad of other health and protective benefits.

By it's unique formulation, NT Factor provides the purest, most functional lipids in the human body, documented in multiple clinical publications, to match the phosphoglycolipids that are found in human cell membrane. It protects these LRT replacement lipids from oxidation and damage during storage, ingestion and digestion, as opposed to traditional lipid supplementation. Phospholipids, glycophospholipids and other lipids that make up vital cellular and organelle membranes, require constant replacement, for which we lose the efficient ability as we get older. If nutrients do not absorb properly across the cell membrane, the cell and its energy producing fuel centers (mitochondria) suffer, leading to premature aging and fatigue. Oxidative (free radical) damage to mitochondria also causes damage and insults to cellular and mitochondrial membrane lipids, proteins and DNA - leading to further injury and loss of function. NT Factor and LRT can help the cell repair damage to its membrane, and restore health and fluidity. This action stimulates reduction of fatigue, increase in energy and activity levels and an overall enhanced quality of life.

References

1. Agadijanyan, M. Vasilevko, V., Ghochikyan, et al. Nutritional supplement (NT Factor) restores mitochondrial function and reduces moderately severe fatigue in aged subjects. J Chronic Fatigue Syndr. 2003; 11(4)

2. Ellithorpe, R.R, Settineri R, Nicolson G.L, Pilot Study: Reduction of fatigue by use of a dietary supplement containing glycophospholipids JANA. 2003;6(1):23-28

[ 29. March 2008, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: sparkle7 ]

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pingpong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13706

--------------------
pingpong

pingpong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13706

up

--------------------
pingpong

pingpong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13706

up for discussion

--------------------
pingpong

pingpong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13706

up

--------------------
pingpong

pingpong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13706

--------------------
pingpong

pingpong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13706

up

--------------------
pingpong

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement