LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Chest Pains - Anybody?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chest Pains - Anybody?
newdurham77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newdurham77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there! I have contacted lyme in Durham, NC around 6 months ago.
Aside from a few panick attacks, numbness and tingling (arms & right side of face), ear ringings (some), my most troubling symptom has been chest pains in various shapes or forms.
Now I have been to several cardiologists at Duke, have had quite the workup done (ECGs, Holter, Stress test, echo, even a Cardiac MRI). All tests came normal. I am also quite young (27) and not overweight.
The chest pains still worry me. Especially when I get them for such long periods of time (few good hours) of dull pain in the middle of the chest, but sometimes also to the left, or to the right.
But even more worrysome are some of the shooting pain right in the heart area. Is anybody else getting these? Shooting pains in what it feels to be.. the heart?
Is this lyme? Does anybody else get these? Do they go away? Thank you!

Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there! Welcome to Lymenet! I've had my share of chest pains too. UGh. It's good that you've had all the usual tests.

Have they considered the gall bladder? I had terrible pain in my sternum from that.

How about costrochondritis?
costro http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006333.html http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005498.html

You can also do a search here by clicking on the little blue word "search" in the upper right hand corner of this page.

Then type in "chest pain."

Hope something helps you discover the cause.

Tincup's Links for new members
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/009342.html

Dr. Joseph J. Burrascano's Guidelines http://www.ilads.org/burrascano_1102.htm

Rose's 15 Facts for Newcomers http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/011977.html

Camp A and Camp B http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021395.html

Abbreviations for Lyme-speak
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/020494.html

Making the most of your LLMD visit
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/020605.html

Success Stories http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022173.html

Western Blot explanation: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022767.html

More info: http://www.ilads.org/

Breakthroughs in Lyme Disease http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/024093.html

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duramater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duramater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, chest pain is one of my worst symptoms currently (after difficulty breathing). Sometimes it just kicks up randomly, but usually its after I walk between bedroom and bathroom (that's as far as I;m going these days). I've had the same tests as you (minus the MRI) and except for some t and st wave changes, all is fine. Its not gallbladder, its not costrocondritis (had that, totally different), and its not GI (got scoped). Its either musculoskeletal or neuro (which is what I suspect given all the other neuro symptoms I have). It sucks and is scary and I too hope it diminishes with treatment.
Posts: 689 | From western MA (we say buttER and pizzA) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsatlast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. It sounds like you've had a good cardiac work up. Are you being followed by a cardiologist? Of course, I can't tell if your chest pain is cardiac in origin, but if it's helpful, let me just say that I had chest pain, palpitations and a fluttering feeling in my chest last year. I had a work up like yours which was negative and the doctor ended up saying that Lyme can cause cardiac conduction defects. She put me on an ACE inhibitor called moexipril and also on a beta blocker called Toprol and these drugs have given me complete relief. I also take spironolactone to regulate my serum potassium which is inexplicably high and which can cause abnormal heart rhythms if not corrected. Yes, there is relief for these symptoms once you get to the the correct diagnosis.

Also I want to say that it is really important to research all the links that Lymetoo has provided.

I hope you get some relief soon.

Posts: 156 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newdurham77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newdurham77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kidsatlast and all,

I have seen one LLMD in NC and I will see Dr J in January. My question is also more general: I know lyme can affect the heart. Do all these "heart involvements" go away with treatment?

Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LYme goofed up my heart something fierce. I had S a T waves problems, arrythmias, bradycardia, tachcardyia. I had all kinds of fun things. Found myself in surgery at 28 for a blocked cartoid artery which may or may not have been related to lyme.

After 18 months of treatment, my heart is fine. The only problem I still remain to have is a bowing of the mitral valve, but not bowed enough to actually be mitral valve so I was told.

I've also had other problems cause chestpain but was not related to my heart such as severe acid reflux and ulnar nerve compression.

I hope this helps. My heart is fine nowdays, my brain SUCKS.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Been in your position 2 years ago. Went through a whole cardiac work up and nothing was found which is good. Toprol or atenelol work great for getting rid of the fluttering and palpatations.

At the time I had the workup I was 39 and a long distance runner. If the cardiologist blows off your symptoms (sounds like you had a thorough workup), get a second opinion...that's what I did and liked the 2nd cardiologist better.

My cardiologist recommended magnesium and COQ10..you might want to try them they did help and mangesium is good for inflammation.

Honestly, I think lyme can do this to your heart.

As stated earlier, read lymetutu's posts... very helpful.

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry forgot to address your second question. I've been on abx for 4 months but the chest pain and palpatations haven't been a problem in quite a while.

My symptoms can change and I've had a lot of neurological stuff going on.

Everyone once in a while I get the fluttering but not often.

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efsd25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for efsd25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi newdurham77,

Yes, Chest Pains are quite common for Lymies. Until I understood this, I was in the ER, had the cardio workup ...etc. They will go away with time as you continue on abx. Snowboarder is right on with the Mg. I use Source Naturals Magnesium Malate and alittle COQ10. Also do a search on the Marnie's " Magnesium Protocol". It has been over 2 years since I have had any chest pains, so don't worry, you'll get better.

Please note: I followed the normal abx route for about 2 years, then plateaued and didn't continue to get better, stopped abx, switched to rifing and am doing well. If fact, looking forward to another ski season this winter!!

Posts: 546 | From Cascadia subduction zone | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newdurham77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7815

Thank you all for your replies. I read quite a bit muyself about chest pains being common for lyme patients.
Anybody else getting shooting pains in the area ? (in particular in the left part of the chest)?

Thank you again!

lymebrat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, and welcome to LymeNet...

My son was having horrible chest pains at the age of 6. His docs thought he had growing pains...

When I had him tested for Lyme, his LLMD said, that many people with lyme have this same type of chest pain.

My son is now 8 and has been treated for a little over a year and his chest pains have become less frequent and severe.

I hope this helps

~LymeBrat

Posts: 3154 | From NH , USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My heart pain has been related to nerve involvement in the thoracic region.

Trout

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsatlast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Newdurham77,
My heart problems have not yet gotten better; they are only controlled very well by toprol and moexepril. I have been on abx for many years but this is the first year I've had a LLMD who treats coinfections. I think they will get better but it will take longer.

Posts: 156 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement