LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » On bismuth & Bradford's article in Townsend Letter 3/06

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On bismuth & Bradford's article in Townsend Letter 3/06
Virginia of Yore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virginia of Yore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People might want to check out these two links regarding bismuth, the Bradford Research Institute, and Robert Bradford, the author of the recently posted Townsend Letter's lyme article for Feb/March 2006. Note points #8 and #9 in particular in the following court record:
http://www.ksbha.org/boardactions/Documents/toth3.pdf
This next site is obviously not a favorite resource among lymies (Stephen Barret's site), but he still has some points to consider about Bradford's credibility in general.
http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/Nonrecorg/cfcm.html

My own LLMD warned me several years ago not to ever use much bismuth as it can build up in the brain.

Posts: 193 | From Virginia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about the efficacy of bismuth in any form. However, it was used in treating syphilis long ago, see previous bismuth threads.

The medical board was more likely responding to the fatality and to the use of anything out of the ordinary. It is OK to fail conventionally in medicine, but not unconventionally. Look at the toxicity issues of radiation and chemotherapy and the failure rates in cancer treatment, why aren't those meds proscribed and the oncologists in the dock? Because the standard of treatment is to fail, and that is acceptable.

I find it ironic that radiation is thought to cause subsequent fatal cancers in a form of cancer "successfully" treated by radiation.

Pick your poison. No, that is not allowed. You have to let someone else pick YOUR poison, without adequate warning about the consequences.

[ 01. April 2006, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: lou ]

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kansas Doctor's case was an unfortunate circumstance, but the fact is that oral pepto bismol is part of the standard of care in the highly touted drug cocktail for ulcer treatment(h pylori).

Based on hubby's experiences I do know that with gastritis (which would most likely be considered less severe than an ulcer) oral bismuth can and does pass through the G.I. tract and is eliminated thru the kidneys with calcium EDTA chelation.

As with any drug or herb everyone has to make their own decisions regarding safety.

As a result of prior mercury toxicity issues (prior to Lyme illness) every new alternative doc hubby sees wants him to be retested under their protocol for heavy metal toxicity.

Last summer during an appointment (and out of the blue) hubby agreed to have this done once again. Big mistake!

Sometimes you do something like take pepto bismol or carafate (an old prescription drug to coat the stomach which has aluminum in it as do most antacids)even when you know they are bad for you. Sometimes the symptoms just have to be relieved the best way you know how.

Anyway, hubby took the standard 2 tbsp dose of pepto bismol liquid 1 or 2 times daily for about a week prior to this doctor's appointment and the chelation heavy metal challenge test.

In the past he had always had magnesium EDTA administered over about 1 1/2 hours along with other chelators -- this doc used calcium EDTA which only takes about 15 minutes -- he had never had this drug before.

He barely stumbled out of the doc's office and I parked the car at a used bookstore after I got him something to drink so he could rest a few minutes before making the 1 1/2 hour trip home.

Came back to the car about 15 minutes later and found him passed out and stiffened up with muscle spasms. Gave him some IV Ativan and IV Glutathione -- he woke up a little about 15 minutes later as I was driving up the road.

I think I stopped 2 more times on the way home to give him more IV Ativan for other "seizure-like episodes". He normally has problems riding in the car, but not this bad -- he didn't really come to until we got back home.

He spent most of the next 2 days in bed -- highly unusual for him. Had some actual seizures -- 1 included loss of bladder control which hadn't happened for over a year. Also deveolped an underarm rash -- left arm only. I took pictures for records. He only ever had a rash one other time during treatment.

The moral of the story is that the test result showed elevated bismuth in his urine and based on the link provided below my opinion is that the combination of the pepto bismol in his body plus the calcium EDTA killed off some Lyme bacteria and caused a major herx.

I was upset with doc and she ended up firing us which was ok except that now new PCP is 4 1/2 hours away. This was an incidence of a doc who in good faith was trying to help hubby but didn't know much about Lyme disease and especially neurological Lyme.

I didn't find the reference below until after hubby had the reaction.

http://www.gaianstudies.org/lyme-updates.htm
Page down to near the bottom for the article on BI-EDTA (Bismuth EDTA).

I think we have finally learned our lesson about not doing any treatments until they have been thoroughly researched by us.

Bea Seibert

[ 01. April 2006, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: seibertneurolyme ]

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are many effective forms of bismuth that are taken by mouth with minimal to no adverse effects, peptobismol for one example, if responsibly taken. i do believe that one day there will be an efficacious/safe i.v. form of bismuth, but probably will never be approved for use in the U.S.

despite teh two deaths, and the circumstances underwhich the deaths occurred,both forms of bismuth mentioned in the legal doc. might be safe, even by i.v.; its just that there are too many patently obvious questions(to me) raised by the legal doc. to determine the efficacy,safety and side-effects of the one and/or the other forms of bismuth.

[ 26. October 2006, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: pq ]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful about putting much, if any, weight in what you find at quackwatch.com. I do not consider it to be a reliable resource and thus would not be a proponent of picking and choosing what may or may not be accurate.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There certainly are 2 forces battling...from *extreme* sides.

Barrett...on the "traditional" gov-supported pharm. side and Bradford on the "alternative" side.

These are only TWO men...consider what other doctors/researchers have to say ALSO! The more consensus one sees/reads about, the better.

This is why, I typically TRY to "document" from more than one source. I have become very "skeptical" in my old age...not believing just what ONE person has to say.

And never forget...we are still learning at astronomical speed. Genetic research has, in a way, opened up a can of worms. These "truths" will be/are obvious.

For example...we now know that Bb contains a PKC inhibitor (protein kinase C)...this inhibiotr enzyme causes cell destruction. We know that Bb is "PFK dependent"...phosphofructokinase...another enzyme that is "rate limiting" for glycolysis. Genetic research has shown this...clearly. Can't argue with that!

I believe we need to look at what nutrients the pathogen is taking from us and what nutrients our body is using to fight...

And go from there.

A body in balance has no disease. It's the "rebalancing" that is soooooo darned tricky!

Posts: 9426 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One, first person narrative account of bismuth toxicity:

the book, "Zinc and Other Miconutrients",by Carl Pfeifer,m.d., contains a first person account("phenomenological" account) by a british,male patient who took an oral form of bismuth. this was in the 1940s-1960s. check the book for accuracy. i don't recall teh name of this form of bismnuth.

from what i gathered from his personal account, he developed neurocognitive problems which, largely, if not totally, diminished in intensity over time upon stopping the drug.

given the paucity of self-accounts by people taking bismuth compounds, i'd say this is a must read account.

you can most likely get the book at a used book store, garage sale, or sale at religious organizations, etc. its a paperback.

[ 01. April 2006, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: pq ]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement