LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » UPDATING OUR LLMD LISTS INTO "1" and getting $$ rates/insurance, etc!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UPDATING OUR LLMD LISTS INTO "1" and getting $$ rates/insurance, etc!
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
attn. lymenetters!

i've been having conversations with different folks here who have their LLMD lists, etc. we have been talking about COMBINING AND UPDATING them into ONE LIST.

This is what i'm proposing below:

Janet, tenn. has offered to CALL SOUTHERN STATES for the below info using the 2 lists i'm furnishing her.

i've got some updates for california from riversinger and cave, so i'll make them to marian broderick's list.

EASTERN states since you folks have so many; perhaps we can have ONE or TWO split up your docs IN EACH STATE to get the current info i listed below.

CALIF, perhaps 2 people there to call folks.

MIDWEST -- 1 person since we perhaps 1 handfull if that many!!

other western/NW states - 1 again since there are just 1-3 perhaps per state.

TEXAS - 1 there

PENN - 2 there since there are many

ok, i know my lyme mind isn't working, but what other sections have i forgotten?

Do i have any volunteers to call these states/area outlined above?

Those with cell phones with FREE LONG DISTANCE would be ideal!!

tnjanet,

if/when you feel up to it and would call the southern drs. only in the list i'll send to you would be outstanding as well as alexis!

janet, i'm going to post this question in medical, but i'll run this past you.

i think if we are going to call getting info, that we SHOULD FIND OUT

* $$ RATES/HOUR,
* FOLLOWUP RATE,
* DO THEY TAKE INSURANCE, AND
* IF THEY HAVE TO CHARGE IT RIGHT AWAY
* Will IT be DEDUCTED "BEFORE" ACTUAL APPT.
* or can you charge/pay at actual appt.
what is your opinion?

I THINK THAT WOULD BE IDEAL FOR A COMPLETE LLMD LISTING:

o NAMES
o ADDRESSES
o PHONE NO
o EMAIL ADDRESS
o WEB SITE
o THEIR SPECIALTY

o THOSE TREATING KIDS ONLY

o PLUS THE ABOVE 4 QUESTIONS

i asked newbie doughi to post about what he was finding out in calif. that i had no clue about. i hadn't seen rates varying and PRE-PAY/HAVE IT DEDUCTED FROM CHECKING ACCT. BEFORE ACTUAL APPT!

so since i've been working with the 2 existing llmd lists for 6+ months now, i see ways we could help ALL our lymenet members == new and old!

it will take a coordinated effort, and i'm happy to do that.

i really like alexis spreadsheet table she has set up for washington state lyme group! it's really quick to find llmds by state, then city, then alphabetical by city! it's really been a godsend alexis.

i have NOT done spread sheets in 15+ years, and been off work 8 yrs. so i think that is too much for me to handle.

what are your feelings, suggestions, feedback on what i'm proposing.

both lists are not up to date as much as alexis and marian have SPENT COUNTLESS HOURS updating them!

example; 1 llmd died 5-10 yrs. ago, and his name was still on there. there are some that have slipped thru the cracks.

this is nothing personal to marian and alexis; it happens to us all! [group hug] [kiss] [group hug] i love my time on here.

i have piles of paperwork needing attention, but i chose to use my GOOD HOURS on here helping others and educating myself too! [Big Grin]

janet, thank you also for your many nice compliments i forgot to reply to! it's appreciated. [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps also include questions about:

1. does their office work with any complementary medicine practitioners (ie chiropractic, homeopathy, nutrition, herbalism, naturopaths)

2. do they offer any phone consultations after the initial in-office appointment- I know several LLMD's do this in California, which is very helpful for those who are unable to drive. Charge for phone consults I've researched seems to be half the cost of an office visit. It's been very helpful for me to not have to drive 2 hours away to get followup care.

Also, it's cheap to do longdistance phone calls via Skype- their "call a normal landline" service is called SkypeOut, I think- you need a computer headset/microphone and a good Internet connection but its wayyy cheaper than regular phone rates.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh, and, I can call California docs, as I'm trying to learn more about the options here anyway.

Maria

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Betty,

This is a good idea to update the lists, but I think it will be too much work to get all the dollar details you have listed -- besides prices change more frequently than the other info.

Other questions I think need to be asked are:

Include a fax number as well.

Is the doc taking new patients?

What is the average wait time for a new patient appointment?

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Moore
Member # 10877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i dont think its a good idea.if there coming here
for doctor info and we continue to help,that is good.If we make 1 big list and the IDSA gets ahold of it,are doctors could all start getting harrassed.

Posts: 15 | From New Castle,Pa. | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What constitutes an LLMD? I would ask if they are members of ILADS. There is already a database that gives LLMD's in a person's general area if you enter your address/zip.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have shared the list I have with some people I know or have communicated with, but if I were a doctor, I am not sure I would want to be on a mega-list of doctors who treat Lyme disease.

Especially in the atmosphere that we are all facing with doctors being harassed and patients being denied insurance coverage, if I were a doctor, I would not like to be lumped with a lot of doctors I knew nothing about.

I am afraid of how such a list would be used.
Anyone else?

Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNJanet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNJanet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ann,
Your concern is something I have thought about in getting ready to call some of these doctors for an updated list.

I have not decided what tact to take, as in what I will first say to the person answering the phone. I can imagine that SOME doctors might be

skeptical about providing information to be shared with the public at large. It might make a difference if those of us calling could identify

ourselves as representing LymeNet.org, a website with almost 11,000 registered users and then promise that only a handful of people will have

the information available to give to newbies or others seeking LLMD's, as Betty has done in the past. And this would require that those people

ask some questions of the person seeking physician information. I do not think it is a good idea to publish a list for anyone to see.

The insurance companies and medical boards do not need us to compile information for them! Anyone else have any suggestions? Betty, had you thought

about how this information would be stored and released? Gotta be a way! [Wink]

--------------------
DISCLAIMER:
No information presented above should be considered medical advice or take the place of advice given by a medical professional. Links to other sites are provided merely for ease of research.

Posts: 287 | From Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post 
How's this for tact?

NO NO NO NO NO!

[Big Grin]

I've been asked to intervene here... or to stick my big nose into this post to inform folks of the problems that may be brewing.

I know many of you don't know this.. so I will try to explain as best I can. We have a long standing, unwritten policy here... and it has been ongoing for many reasons... too many to mention. Hope this helps explain some of it or you.

1. You are spending time re-inventing the wheel. There is already a VERY good list.. updated and complete. You simply need to email Melanie and ask for some doctors names in YOUR area. I've NEVER had to wait more than one day.. if that.. and have had a good choice provided with updated details too.

2. MOST LLMD's or those who treat Lyme do NOT want their names on a LIST! ABSOLUTELY!!! We have obtained "special" permission to list many them for use behind the scenes.. and ONLY with the understanding that they do NOT go anywhere but with that one person.. to be used ONLY as needed.

3. No where do you get "connected" with a LLMD that is custom fit as well as doing it this way. Melanie doesn't just hand out a list or random names.. she tries.. if possible... to work out details.. like... does the patient need a doc who treats coinfections.. or one that uses certain labs.. etc.

OUR privacy is important to us.. and so is the privacy of the doctors we have who are doing all they can to help us. Please respect that privacy and their wishes and discontinue the "list making" effort.

Also.. contacting ANYONE as a representative of LymeNet.org is NOT allowed.

Also.. if need be.. doctors offices will start refusing to answer questions from patients calling for "general information" if they haven't already.

We REALLY need to NOT bite the hand that feeds us.. so I ask that everyone consider these reasons before proceeding.

THANKS!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

If you or a patient who has contacted you needs a doctor.. contact Melanie at...

[email protected]

Be sure to put Lyme in the title.. and the state too would be helpful.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tin's right. also the ilads list is not at all complete. also-the bigger the lists get the more problems i see.

it seems anyone can say they are an llmd now. to me that is very scarey.

i wish ilads would do a better job with their list and do some screening or something.

maybe we could somehow help them with that

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with TC here, also. Thanks for jumping in with your info. We must protect people's privacy here.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNJanet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNJanet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well slap my thighs and butter my bisquits! I feel like I've been sitting in the Principal's office and don't know how I've gotten in trouble. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I just agree with EVERYONE! You all have made the best arguments to just leave things as they are and it sure saves me some time. I don't even

have a cell phone so calling the docs from Betty's list was going to be expensive. I really DO understand about privacy and not re-inventing

the wheel and I was not suggesting that a Super List be compiled and shared with anyone. Just had a conversation with another Netter here and

offered to do a few phone calls to update info. I wasn't looking forward to it because I assumed I would be met with skepticism by doctors' offices

and I was going to write up a script for myself to use that was not too intrusive. Also, PLEASE blame my Lyme brain when I mentioned that I could

say I was representing LymeNet. It just popped out as I was thinking outloud and believe me, I would NEVER do ANYTHING to jeopardize this

wonderful place and the people who coordinate here behind the scenes. I need to check but I believe I was writing at like 3:00 in the morning.

I should NEVER post anything when I am that fried and tired. TC and EVERYONE who responded, thanks so much for putting my rather large butt in its

place. I was only trying to help based on some people wanting updated info, including fees, etc. and another member and I discussed it.

We did the right thing by asking for input, thank goodness. Do you still like me? Can I be your friend? Check one ___YES ___NO

Seriously guys, please accept my apology. Gosh, I'm bushed now. Blessings to all, Janet

--------------------
DISCLAIMER:
No information presented above should be considered medical advice or take the place of advice given by a medical professional. Links to other sites are provided merely for ease of research.

Posts: 287 | From Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

If you or a patient who has contacted you needs a doctor.. contact Melanie at...

[email protected]

Be sure to put Lyme in the title.. and the state too would be helpful.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

bettyg
Unregistered

Janet, i'm sorry i got you involved in this, and sorry your butt got a lickin' !!

tincup, thanks for posting and some background from past.

Would you believe in the 2.5 yrs. i've been here, this is the FIRST TIME I'VE HEARD OF MELANIE REBER HAVING AN UP-TO=DATE LLMD NAME LIST! [Frown] no kidding!! [Big Grin]

Melanie, how about you posting something in SEEKING DRS. SECTON, and ask jenifer to make it a feature please!

I'll DELETE MY POST IN MED & DRS. SECTIONS from the board.

I'll keep this one here for background purposes so someone else doesn't try to reinvent the wheel without knowing all the facts as i did!

i'll send jenifer a pm asking her to CLOSE DISCUSSION of it.

we had a healthy discussion here and got many issues out on the table to discuss; so i'm not sorry about that.

it goes to show no matter how long you are on this board, new info comes out to older ones like myself; this is a perfect example.

i have no hurt feelings; i just saw a real need o coordinate efforts.

it goes also to show communication is the key, and that's what i'm asking melanie/whoever to put a post in SEEKING DRS. area advising all who enter there who to contact!

peace [group hug] [kiss] [group hug]

bettyg
Unregistered

i deleted my 2 posts in medical and seeking drs. sections.

i notified jenifer to CLOSE THIS DISCUSSION!

THIs DISCUSSION IS NOW CLOSED FOR COMMENTS!

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
My dear friends,

Yes, it is true; I have been keeping an ongoing list for years now. I began this project when I first arrived here and saw an incredible need for it.

I have worked with several hundred patients, physicians, and support group leaders over those years to try and keep this information as updated as possible to be able to provide the most accurate information that is available when I am asked for help.

This work takes place behind the scenes as does much of the Lyme work accomplished by many volunteers that help all of us, who wish to remain anonymous.

This particular aspect of my work has been kept on the QT for many reasons already shared above, so I will not go back into that.

I would ask that you please respect our willing physicians' right to their privacy. They deserve our utmost respect for all that they have sacrificed for so many years to help those with Tickborne diseases.

I would also ask that you respect my right to privacy in doing what I do quietly and behind the scenes.

I am willing to help in any way that I am able, but I do NOT want this help announced further. It is enough for you to know that help is available when needed.

Thank you so very much for your efforts and your discretions,
Melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey JN in Tennessee..

Or was it TN in Janet? No, I'm not tired.

Just wanted to say..

Butter your own biscuits darling... HA! And a little apple butter would be nice to!

You said..

Can I be your friend? Check one ___YES ___NO

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. after having to put your so-called big butt in it's place.. and YOU called it a big butt first...

DID SO!

My answer would be...

I CHECK YES!!!!

[Big Grin]

You make me laugh silly girl.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement