LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Quin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quin
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quinolinic Acid (Quin ) is a potent neurotoxin.
Spirochetes induce microglia of brain (4% of brain mass) to convert tryptophane into this compound. Elevated in chronic neuroborreliosis in CSF. In brain tissue, 10 times increased over CNS level. Potent synergistic effect with ROS (Lyme spirochetes are potent ROS inducers. ROS are used by macrophags and other white cells to kill spirochetes)

Quin effects:

Interference with neurotransmitter production
Damage to synaptic connections
Brain atrophy/cerebral volume loss
Neuronal death

Quin Treatment:

Chlorella and CGF in high doses (Biopure)
Cilantro and Detox Foot bath
Mucuna Powder
Zinc: prevents hippocampal damage from Quin
Copper (at low doses) reduces strital GABA depletion and blocks oxidative injury to neurons -- use combination 30 mg zinc picolinate with 2 mg copper
Resveratrol from Japanese Knotweed (Source Naturals, 500 mg whole herb/capsule. Use 3-4 caps 3-4 times/day)
Phospholipid Exchange (Biopure): EDTA, alpha lipic acid prevent ROS damage. Phospholipids repair toxic injury and work as a shuttle agent
to bring other toxin binding substances to deep tissue places. 1 tbsp/day.
KMT microcurrent therapy
Lymphatic drainage and colon hydrotherapy

Take care.

(Notes from a Dr. K. Seminar)

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this information, Gigi.

I have been a little confused about zinc. I read somewhere that zinc is either too high or that it is somehow being 'misused' in the body in cases of lyme.

I have noticed a difference when supplementing with copper, both for my daughter and myself. We tested low for it, but not for zinc. Somehow, I think my daughter is more energetic. But too still too early to tell.

Maybe we can better utilize zinc now that copper is coming back up?

My daughter did once have all the signs of being 'neurotoxic' due to confused thinking and erratic emotions. Various supplements have helped along with the foot detox baths.

Also... macuna powder is from mung beans? Is it effective to simply eat mung beans? It is a recommended staple of an ayurvedic doctor we used to see.

Thank you.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalysT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalysT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, protection against QUIN neurotoxicity is important, thanks for bringing it up GiGi!
Quinolinic acid is no joke for lyme sufferers! Protect yourself before you wreck yourself!!

I wouldn't doubt if QUIN-mediated degeneration of hypothalamic orexin neurons(5) could be responsible for the narcoleptic-like fatigue symptoms that some Lyme sufferer's have.

Selenium(8), melatonin(2)(3), and S-Allylcysteine(1), protect against QUIN neurotoxicity. I'm not sure what form of selenium is best, right now I'm taking L-selenomethionine, but I think Methylselenocysteine may be superior. I take time-released melatonin at night for protection sometimes too.

I think NMDA antagonists protect too, like magnesium, zinc, and L-Theanine(7).

Copper also protects against QUIN, but I avoid it because of reports of it being elevated in people with Autism and ADHD, and therefore having a negative effect in such people.

Oh, and Gaba(A) agonistic drugs(5) (Brand names: valium, xanax, klonopin, xyrem, ambien, etc) that cause stimulation of Gaba(A) receptors will also protect against QUIN. However, I think that the rebound-effect from when they wear off, may leave you more vulnerable to QUIN toxicity than before.

Also since QUIN toxicity is dependent on Nitric Oxide Synthase(9), NO Synthase inducers like L-Deprenyl, and Resveratrol will protect against some QUIN damage as well. Ginkgo might induce NOS as well, I can't remember for sure though.

---------- ---------- ----------
"Although neurologic dysfunction occurs frequently in patients with Lyme borreliosis, it is rarely possible to demonstrate the causative organism within the neuraxis.

This discordance could arise if neurologic symptoms were actually due to soluble neuromodulators produced in response to infection.

Since immune stimulation is associated with the production of quinolinic acid (QUIN), an excitotoxin and N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) agonist, we measured levels of CSF and serum QUIN, and lymphokines.

Samples were obtained from 16 patients with CNS Borrelia burgdorferi infection, eight patients with Lyme encephalopathy (confusion without intra-CNS inflammation), and 45 controls. CSF QUIN was substantially elevated in patients with CNS Lyme and correlated strongly with CSF leukocytosis.

In patients with encephalopathy, serum QUIN was elevated with corresponding increments in CSF QUIN. Lymphokine concentrations were not consistently elevated. We conclude that CSF QUIN is significantly elevated in B burgdorferi infection--dramatically in patients with CNS inflammation, less in encephalopathy.

The presence of this known agonist of NMDA synaptic function--a receptor involved in learning, memory, and synaptic plasticity--may contribute to the neurologic and cognitive deficits seen in many Lyme disease patients."(6)
---------- ---------- ----------

(1)S-Allylcysteine, a garlic-derived antioxidant, ameliorates quinolinic acid-induced neurotoxicity and oxidative damage in rats.

(2)Melatonin neutralizes neurotoxicity induced by quinolinic acid in brain tissue culture.

(3)Melatonin reduces oxidative neurotoxicity due to quinolinic acid: in vitro and in vivo findings.

(4)
Oxidative stress as a mechanism for quinolinic acid-induced hippocampal damage: protection by melatonin and deprenyl.

(5)Quinolinic acid toxicity on orexin neurons blocked by gamma aminobutyric acid type A receptor stimulation.

(6)Neuroactive kynurenines in Lyme borreliosis.

(7)The neuropharmacology of L-theanine(N-ethyl-L-glutamine): a possible neuroprotective and cognitive enhancing agent.

(8)Protective effects of the antioxidant selenium on quinolinic acid-induced neurotoxicity in rats: in vitro and in vivo studies.

(9)Excitotoxicity of quinolinic acid: modulation by endogenous antagonists.

[ 17. April 2007, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: catalysT ]

--------------------
"You know, the worst, meanest, nastiest, ticks in the world are politicks," - Steve Nostrum

Posts: 242 | From South NJ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice posts! Excellent points. All missed by most doctors and patients alike. Appreciate very much the reminder and kudos to Eric on having such strong sources to support his statements! Nice

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there's a lot of info on QUIN mediation (or whatever it's called) in Buhner's Healing Lyme book. I seem to recall that another herb besides resveratrol helps deal with it- it's one of the add-on herbs from his expanded protocl, that I personally dont' take so I'm unfamiliar with the effects.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric said:

quote:
Copper also protects against QUIN, but I avoid it because of reports of it being elevated in people with Autism and ADHD, and therefore having a negative effect in such people.

Copper can most definately be toxic/dangerous in high and possibly moderate levels, as I am not sure what the threshold is. And I have read that it can be behind some of children's behavioral problems. But if we are low in copper this can also be a real concern. I think it has a correlation with aneurisms, but it can interfere with health in other ways also.

http://www.moondragon.org/health/disorders/copperdeficiency.html

In lyme disease, there is a real displacement or imbalance of minerals, and it is not consistent with each individual, or at least it does not seem so. So it seems worthwhile to understand which direction we are in with copper. Our health is changing for the better with homeopathic supplementation.

I will try to bring up a separate topic at some point for a more in-depth discussion.

Thank you for the rest of the research/links you provided, and to Gigi for starting this topic. Very helpful

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Quin Treatment:
Resveratrol from Japanese Knotweed (Source Naturals, 500 mg whole herb/capsule. Use 3-4 caps 3-4 times/day)

The most amazing thing happened to me when I took Resveratrol.
I could think the way I used to.

However, this was short lived, as I developed kidney pain, and I stopped the Resveratrol.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm? I wonder - could autism and ADHD and high copper tie into my cell phone theory here?

Robert Becker points out in his books that copper is an excellent 'conductor' and pretty much everywhere. It's very hard to develop a copper defiency because most foods have some.

But the reason I bring this up is because we're basically antennas here on earth. But with cell phones and wireless sending off signals of their own, are autism and ADHD merely the result of the body's desperation to hear through those crazy signals?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is an older post, but I guess I missed it before. Do want to add one point.

I believe that elevated quinolinic acid is one of the reasons many Lyme patients have adverse reactions to SSRI's. The purpose of these drugs is to keep serotonin more active. Serotonin is made from tryptophan. It is my understanding that infections and more specifically brain infections cause the body to convert tryptophan into quinolinic acid by an alternative metabolic pathway.

Hubby can take 5HTP for sleep without problems if he takes Resveratrol.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been out of resveratrol for about two months now after taking it for 5 months along with other herbs/supplements.

I have absolutely no short term memory and find myself taking too many seconds to recall the next word in a sentence.

Interesting this post came up from Gigi 'cause I went to my Buhner book yesterday to see what I could find on neurotoxins.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement