LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone have crimson cresents near tonsils?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone have crimson cresents near tonsils?
dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dullchime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was a post I was involved in maybe at the end of the summer and I was wondering how many of the current users on the site have these now?

Take a look in your mouth in front of the tonsil area. Do you have a dark red cresent on either side. This condition was known to be an indicator of CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) and during the first post a few people claimed they also had this.

Due to the questionability of the CFS/Lyme association, I'm just wondering who else have seen these.

Do you still see them? For how long?

Just curious..

chime

Posts: 232 | From kennett square, PA USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PinchotGail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinchotGail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have these also. I've been treated for lyme and babesia since March of last year. I really don't remember when I got these........they've been there a long time.

Gail

Posts: 562 | From Wellsville, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have them, and have had them since I became ill.

Since I was not diagnosed with lyme until 15 months after I became ill, that meant I walked around for that length of time with a diagnosis of CFIDS/Fibro based on those crescents and my neuromuscular symptoms.

In my experience, it all came on at once so it's all one thing.

[This message has been edited by Sue vG (edited 24 February 2005).]

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dullchime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been feeling tons better in the past few months and my cresents are just as prominent as when I first spotted them.

I'm wondering if they ever go away.

Posts: 232 | From kennett square, PA USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeast ?
Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

I doubt it would be yeast. When I first noticed something was wrong I had a sore throat on one side and I looked at my throat and the both sides had the dark red cresents and I thought- why is only one side sore but both are inflamed??

Now, Yeah my throat is all red from yeast but the Cresents still remain.

One person left a post in the summer that stated that their LLMD told them it meant there was still a live infection going on.

Food for thought I guess.

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 14 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tonsils crimson crescents.

Link

The posterior oropharynx in patients with EBV infectious mononucleosis is uniformly erythematous. This is in contrast to the discreet pretonsillar purplish discoloration observed in CFS that has been termed "crimson crescents." Crimson crescents, a possible marker of CFS, occur in the absence of surrounding posterior pharyngeal erythema. Patients with CFS do not present predominantly with pharyngitis.

Link

* A typical symptom of systemic mycoplasma infection, resulting from abnormal stimulation of cytokines, involves a chronic red discoloration of the anterior pharyngeal pillars. Stand in front of a mirror with your mouth open wide. Point a flash-light into the mirror so that the beam reflects back into your pharynx. On either side of your throat, behind the molars and in front of the tonsils, the crescents may be an intense crimson color along the margins of both pharyngeal pillars. In patients without tonsils, the crimson crescents would appear further back.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

Whats the difference between Mycoplasma and Lyme disease? I know they're similar, I guess I'm just wondering.

Is it like a coinfection?

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dullchime:
Whats the difference between Mycoplasma and Lyme disease? I know they're similar, I guess I'm just wondering.

Is it like a coinfection?

Lyme is a spirocheteal infection.
 -

-

Mycoplasma is coinfection sometimes.
M. hyorhinis, M. arginini, M. fermentans, M. orale, M. pirum, M. hominis, M. salivarium, and Acholeplasma laidlawii.

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

Patented Yep!3

Plum Island
Saga

Also called Mollicute
 -

CHECK IT OUT THERES A SPIROCHETE CALLED spiroplasma

-

spiroplasma
spiral-shaped plant pathogenic mollicute (prokaryote without cell wall)
(Spiroplasma citri)

This is getting weird.

And for the smart people hahahah not me  -

Genomes Microbes

Read CDC References Bottom of page Links

[This message has been edited by treepatrol (edited 25 February 2005).]

[ 28. March 2006, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: treepatrol ]

dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

good stuff. thanks
treepatrol
Member # 4117

quote:
good stuff. thanks

Yep

dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

Hey tree,

Can markers in the blood for Lyme be confused with some kind of Mycoplasma?

Just curious..

treepatrol
Member # 4117

quote:
Hey tree,

Can markers in the blood for Lyme be confused with some kind of Mycoplasma?

Just curious..

Name the markers your speaking about ??

dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

I dont know really. I was referring to the active lyme bands.

I dont know the number right off the top of my head.

treepatrol
Member # 4117

quote:
I dont know really. I was referring to the active lyme bands.

I dont know the number right off the top of my head.

No they have there own kDa kilodalton = molecular weight

My brains ready to explode! hahah

[This message has been edited by treepatrol (edited 25 February 2005).]

Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was looking over the newbie links and found this post.

So interesting to me!!!!

My step mother was diagnosed with EBV when I was a teenager. She had chronic fatigue and all that goes along with chronic EBV/CFS.

So I came across a little article about a doctor who was studying crimson crescents in those with CFS. This was a long time ago. I had read the article and looked in my throat and there were the crimson cresents.

I cut it out and saved it for the last fifteen years...how ever long it has been. I
have held on to it forever...it is upstairs in one of my files.

Well I got my diagnosis of lyme and tbis October 2004...so interesting. The crimson cresents have been around since I was in my early twenties...

The mystery continues to unravel...

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd's patients with lyme......well 99% have the crescent markings.......so told by my llmd.
Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had crimson cresecents for about 15 years...maybe longer but that's how long I've had lyme. I was told I had CFS in the beginning. Cunha ( I think that's how you spell the name) seems to have been silent about this for many years....or has someone heard any new info on it?
Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliette
Member # 52786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juliette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I have not been diagnosed with lyme although I am suspecting I may have it. About three month ago I got an extremely sore throat that hasn't gone away. After doing some research I came across the medical term crimson crescent which is exactly what my throat looks like. Looking for advice if anyone has experienced anything similar. It is super painful and annoying and no doctors have any answers.

--------------------
Juliette

Posts: 5 | From ON | Registered: Dec 2023  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Juliette, have you had a Lyme test?

Igenex is probably the best place to order a test from but it isn’t cheap.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8888 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement