LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I found a Bread that has No Yeast No Sugar & No Oil Added -- Any thoughts on this ???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I found a Bread that has No Yeast No Sugar & No Oil Added -- Any thoughts on this ???
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 5 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a Bread that has No Yeast, No Sugar & No Oil Added

I found this in a private Russian grocery store in Philly, PA.

But it does have Carbs.

Any thoughts on this ???

[confused]

Posts: 570 | From philadelphia, pa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
venus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for venus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to know too. I want to eat bread.

--------------------
Severe neurological problems. Probably sick for years. Became chronically sick in Aug 2007. Undiagnosed for another 15 months. Started treatment for lyme and bart Sept. 2008. Improving, but very slowly.

Posts: 515 | From washington dc | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you remember what the name of the product and/or type of bread? There are certain yeast-free breads that are recommended for those of us on abx.

We can't and shouldn't avoid all carbs (there are carbs in vegetables!), so I think being yeast and sugar-free is enough.

The big question is how does it taste? The yeast-free breads I've seen in Whole Foods look too unappetizing to try.

Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as you aren't allergic to the grain that is used to make the bread and can tolerate the carbs then I say go for it.

Carbs are converted to sugar so you will probably want to use in moderation.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Panella bread? Made out of flour, water and I think salt? If so, they sell it in regualar grocery stores, at least around where I live. It goes bad pretty quick as there are no preservatives, but I found it quite tasty.

I was able to eat it when I was on a 100% fat free diet waiting to have my gall bladder taken out. (if I ate any fat at all, it was like labor pains, without the epidural!) With some jely on it, it was a special treat.

I don't know how well it works for the lyme diet, I'll defer to those that are more nutritionally knowledgeable than I.

For me, avoiding sugar AND carbs didn't help. I still can't take abx. My hubby and son have been much much more tolerant of abx than I, and are able to eat small amounts of sugars and carbs, as long as they take their probiotics.

bast of luck,
kp

Posts: 394 | From tinton falls nj | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the carbs that are the problem for us. Used in moderation, it could be OK, but who can eat just ONE piece of bread!!!?

Eat carbs in the form of broccoli, carrots, green beans, etc.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the brand name is "Healthful"

purchased at a local Russian grocery store locally in Philly, PA

On Front Cover: No Yeast, No Sugar & No Oil Added

On Rear Cover Ingredients: rye flour, water, enriched wheat flour (niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), rye chops, malt, salt

made at David's Bread Inc.
Brooklyn NY
1-718-996-0925

Any advice ???

Any Suggestions ???

[confused]

Posts: 570 | From philadelphia, pa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't agree that carbs in general are the problem and neither does my LLMD who worked under Dr. B from N.Y. and has gotten hundreds well. She only said to avoid sugar and refined foods. I eat plenty of carbs, I am not much of a meat eater so carbs are most of my diet and I am on three abx. Just stick to intact carbs or grains and you'll be fine!

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

If just thinking of yeast-free for candida purposes, it may help. Check out the simple carb content on the nutritional panel. You want to avoid simple carbs as they play havoc with our ability to control insulin/blood sugar.,

Aside from danger of the simple sugars in most breads (yeast or no yeast) Gluten is the main reason many here avoid bread. It's in wheat, rye and barley.

[edited to add: and gluten is in spelt, I knew I forgot something. Tutu, thanks for post below about that.]

However, there are some breads made with sprouted grains (before they turn to a mature grain).

Food for Life EZEKIAL breads are such. They do contain gluten, though, in the barley malt added to most of their selections so anyone with celiac still can't have that.

Still, some patients do okay with this. It would have far less simple sugars than any product made with white flour.

--

Still, since a gluten-free diet is suggested for lyme patients, it's a good idea to give that a try. It can help reduce pain tremendously, and help lighten brain fog, too.

A gluten-free diet can also help heal the lining of the stomach, which is usually compromised in lyme patients.

=======

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Gluten - 7381 abstracts

Gluten, neurological - 122 abstracts

Gluten, brain - 133 abstracts

================

While many of the gluten-free products on the market are sheer sugary garbage, this one is very healthful - So glad I found these fabulous gluten-free crackers:

http://www.marysgonecrackers.com/

Mary's Gone Crackers

===============

And there are many gluten-free whole grains you can eat in moderation - and with cinnamon/stevia for breakfast and thyme/garlic, etc. for lunch or dinner. You can add ginger for any meal of the day.

The Moosewood Cookbooks or The Enchanted Broccoli Forest are some good cookbooks.

Quinoa ("Keen-wa" - A Google search will help)

Millet

Wild Rice (really a grass)

Brown Rice (many varieties)

Black Rice (many varieties)

Buckwheat (really a legume)

(Buckwheat pancakes do not count as they contain wheat flour, too. And most gluten-free pancakes are very simple sugars. Once in a while - with protein and good fats, maybe, but be sure to check out the nutritional bar to calculate glycemic impact.)

-

[ 16. January 2009, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD specifically told me to eat Ezekiel bread. He also told me NOT to avoid carbs but to stick with whole grains when possible. And stay away from refined foods, added sugars, yeast, and fermented things.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atheana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atheana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also eat ezkiel and spelt bread.

Hope it's ok.

Atheana

Posts: 196 | From from a far | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymestop:
[QB] I eat Spelt Bread ..... .no wheat etc etc

I believe it contains gluten, however, for those who are sensitive.

"Spelt is similar to wheat in appearance. However, spelt has a tougher husk than wheat, which may help protect the nutrients in spelt. Spelt flour has a somewhat nuttier and slightly sweeter flavor than whole wheat flour. Spelt contains more protein than wheat, and the protein in spelt is easier to digest. This means that some people who are allergic to wheat may be able to tolerate spelt. Spelt has gluten, just like wheat, so spelt is not suitable for a gluten-free diet."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Tutu - thanks for the reminder about Spelt containing gluten. Yes, it contains about the same about as wheat.

---

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they make their own fresh brown rice bread (that is gluten-free). It is very good for a gluten-free bread but is different.

I'd call ahead and have them set aside a couple loafs for you. It freezes well and you if you rustle the package a bit before freezing, you can take out a couple slices at a time.

It will not keep long in the fridge. It works okay in a toaster - or for oven toasting.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement