LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » Rule #8. What is allowed and what is not?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rule #8. What is allowed and what is not?
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeNet System Terms of Use
quote:
8. Because history on this board has shown that certain topics turn into unfriendly debates, the discussion of politics and religion is prohibited.
How is this rule enforced in "real life" here on the LymeNet?

Does this mean that one should not mention one's displeasure with an individual politician? (I've seen that quite often.) Does this mean that one should not mention one's personal faith perspective as it relates to one's own experiences with chronic illness? (This seems to happen as well.)

--------------------
When I lost my grip on Faith in the maze of illness,
Hope gently clasped my hand and led on.

RuthRuth

Posts: 478 | From California | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they are talking about posts dedicated to political or religious topics. Not just a mention in a post or somebody's signature. There was a religious thread that made it very uncomfortable for people of certain religions a few years back.

Of course, Lyme related political topics, like focusing on Lyme legislation or hearings, are allowed in Activism.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this Ruth Ruth . I needed a refresher course myself.

In review-it seems as if the "real life" enforcement of lymenet depends on the "real time" availability of the moderators. In other words, when they have time in their real life to deal with issues here.

Meanwhile I still can't figure out if the recent political thread in OFF Topic was a deliberate "sting" operation, or I just happened to wander into it and assumed my usual role as class clown.

Anyway, bottom line is-the moderators do and will respond to notification of any material posted that is out of line- they will do it on "their time" but they will, and I quote "get to it".

I think I may print a copy of the "rules" and tack it to my computer-because i seem to have short term memory loss.

Take Care,
carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

I'm sure they ,the moderators, will find it interesting to see how we all interpret the rules. Cause like most questions posted on Lymenet-the answers vary.
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think attacks on race, religion, nationalities (whether it's perceived or not, and remember, it's in the eye of the uh, individual), sexual, etc.

so i would say that yes, posting a strongly worded opinion of either political party, candidate, or whatever, is certainly going to cause a ruckus. remember, there are thousands who post here and not all are going to be in agreement.

you may be a democrat/republican and think somebody is a god, while others may hate that person. you may support green peace and somebody else might not. for every opinion, you'll get ten different points of view.

the point is, once it's started it won't stop. and believe me, i know, for i worked in this area for 30 years.

i don't really know but from that previous thread, i gathered it turned into a bashing of nationalities. it started out as a political thing i think, but someone took offense and had a different interpretation. i honestly don't know.

well at least that's my opinion, and others are sure to disagree. i found myself going in circles on that one.

to be safe, i would say just stay away from anything like that, but i know it won't happen. but for me, i'll just plod along doing my best so as not to offend and keep personal opinions to myself.

the moderators have a very tough time and i support them. i'd like to see some of the people here try to moderate. might be interesting.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Cave said:I'm sure you're referring to my intervention on another thread asking that a topic that started out as a 'social commentary' looked like it might be heading into a religious 'discussion'.

Hey, did I miss it? Where is it? I want to practice my scrolling on by. Unless of course my OCD kicks in and i can't help but jump in. [Big Grin] JK

I also like your signature Ruth Ruth.

Earth has no sorrows that Heaven cannot heal.

Take Care,
Carol

Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cave, thanks for making things a lot more clear for me. (And for the nice comments about the sig. line too.)

We are all in this boat together. I don't think differences of opinion have to be avoided when everyone "plays well together" on the playground.

I have even seen some of the more "senior" members of the forum step in and remind others about the effects of the illness. When, you know, somebody seems to pretty much be manifesting "lyme rage" or perhaps lyme-induced lack of "impulse control". (Writing what one wishes one had not written later.)

When I read your comment in the other thread, it felt like someone had just thrown me into ice water with my hands tied behind my back.

Because I am a person of faith I felt like I had just been told to surgically remove my heart if I wanted to play on the playground. I can't imagine that was the effect you intended, but you know how emotionally fragile this disease can leave us.

I was reminded of a picture from an old story about the man who tried to enter a church but was barred because of his race. He was sitting on the steps outside the building, feeling utterly rejected when the Lord spoke to him and said, "It's ok, they won't let me in there either."

So, my first "off topic" thread isn't about dark vs. milk chocolate like I had planned. [Big Grin]

But I'm glad I took the chance and we got to clear the air a little bit here. [kiss]

--------------------
When I lost my grip on Faith in the maze of illness,
Hope gently clasped my hand and led on.

RuthRuth

Posts: 478 | From California | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dare say:
Being able to discuss and lament the stupididity of the leaders of the corporate dictatorship of our poor country, with others here. really helped me take my mind off my illness, even if they didn't agree with me! Thanks to all who shared thoughts with me and helped me get a more complete view of the issues! Let's be patient with each other, no matter what the state of our current understanding!
Always growing, always listening, always re-evaluating, always helping, always seeking.... that's what we need to be.....
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement