LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » Federal Lyme Bill HR 741

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Federal Lyme Bill HR 741
Jenifer
Administrator
Member # 697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Federal Lyme Bill HR 741
Congressman Smith helped us by introducing the Lyme bill. Let's help him to get this bill passed!

Lyme & Tick-Borne Disease Prevention, Education & Research Act of 2007

This bill was introduced into the US House of Representatives on January 31, 2007 by Congressman Christopher H. Smith (NJ). The bill is identical to last year's House bill (HR 3427) except for updated dates in the bill. We need your help now. Click on the link to get information on the Smith/Stupak bill, (history, co-sponsors, who to contact). Lyme disease desperately needs the $100 million over 5 years that this bill provides for research, physician education, prevention, and task force formation.�

Click Here!

Be sure to check the Lyme Disease Association forum for ALERTS!!

[ 19. February 2007, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Jenifer ]

--------------------
Jenifer Stolow
LymeNet.Org Webmaster

Posts: 318 | From Upstate New York, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you jenifer for the info here & LDA site!

the letter's paragraphs are too long for this neuro lymie, so i'm copying it here and shortening for us neuro lymies to use with our state's HOUSE OF REPS!

SAMPLE letter for House Representatives asking for their support:

E-mail or fax your letter (personalized if possible) to the Washington, DC office.

Your First & Last name
Your Street Address
City, State and Zip Code
Your Phone Number
your email address

Month day, year

The Honorable xxxx xxxx
U.S. House of Representatives

Dear Representative xxxx:

I urge you to sign on as a co-sponsor to ``The Lyme and Tick-Borne Disease Prevention, Education, and Research Act of 2007'' (H.R. 741 Chris Smith/Bart Stupak).

Tick-borne diseases (TBD), especially Lyme, are an increasing worldwide problem,* with concerns expressed about Lyme disease by a number of agencies, including the UN and the World Health Organization, which are looking at global environmental and health-related issues.

Yet, funding is not forthcoming from government sources and has even decreased for Lyme despite rising case numbers.

In fact, its funding is being vastly overshadowed by funding for other less prevalent diseases like West Nile Virus (WNV).

In 2005, the government expended about $32.6 million (down from $33.6 million in 2004) on Lyme disease and $80.8 million on WNV (up from $77.6 million in 2004 ), despite the fact that there were 8 times more Lyme cases reported than WNV cases.

Additionally, there are 10 times more cases of Lyme disease that meet the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) criteria than are reported.

In 2005, the final CDC reported numbers show 23,305 reported Lyme disease cases nationally; translating into 233,050 actual new cases that met CDC criteria.

No one knows how many occurred that do NOT even fit CDC surveillance criteria.

Lyme disease, the most common vector-borne disease in the United States, is usually contracted by the bite from a bacteria-infected tick.

In humans, infection with Lyme disease bacteria can lead to early symptoms such as severe headaches, debilitating fatigue, joint pain, and skin rashes, while long-term symptoms can lead to problems related to the central nervous system including the brain, heart, joints and other musculo-skeletal problems.

Symptoms of Lyme disease vary for each individual patient, and also vary in intensity over the course of the disease.

The long-term cost of Lyme disease to families, school systems, the health care system, and the economy is astounding.

According to a study published in 1993 in Contingencies, an actuarial trade publication, the cost to society for Lyme disease was about one billion dollars per year. The average treatment and diagnosis and lost wages related to Lyme disease was $61,688 per year per patient.

Cases have doubled since then, so today's costs are probably $2 Billion or more annually .

Despite the prevalence, severity, and economic costs of this illness, patients with Lyme disease are having increased difficulty obtaining diagnosis and treatment.

You are in a unique position to right this wrong. Your co-sponsorship and vote for H.R. 741 (Smith/Stupak) is essential .

It will improve:

* surveillance and prevention of Lyme disease,
* the development of accurate diagnostic tests,
* physician education, and
* it will fund additional research to determine long-term course of illness and the effectiveness of different treatments.
* It also sets up a federal task force to coordinate the federal efforts to combat Lyme disease.

I am sure you agree that Lyme disease patients and the public deserve more from our health care system.

I added this: IOWA is no. 15 in 2005's ticks and co-infections reported to CDC behind California.

Sincerely,

SIGNATURE (If email, no signature is necessary, but type in your first and last name)
Your First & Last Name typed

Every congress person wants to know what THEIR STATE'S STATISTICS ARE! So please include this extra line in your email/letter to your DC house rep and later senators ! big thank you! [group hug] [kiss]

IMPORTANT!! Below!!
2005, top 20 states in CDC STATS; fyi, IOWA no. 15% http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=049305#000004
LYMEDAD sorted the numbers for 2005 plus 2006 (through 12/23/06.

New York 9754
Pennsylvania 7642
New Jersey 5281
Connecticut 3497
Wisconsin 2786
Massachusetts 2369
Maryland 2177
Minnesota 1646
Delaware 1111
New Hampshire 823
Virginia 589
Maine 534
Rhode Island 274
California 264
Iowa 176
Vermont 157
Illinois 127
Michigan 116
Florida 106
Ohio 100
Texas 88
North Carolina 79
West Virginia 75
DC 69
Indiana 54
South Carolina 33
Missouri 27
Tennessee 20
Alabama 19
Oregon 18
Arizona 17
Washington 16
Nebraska 13
Georgia 13
Kentucky 12
Idaho 9
Utah 8
Kansas 8
Alaska 7
Nevada 6
New Mexico 5
Wyoming 4
South Dakota 3
Louisiana 3
North Dakota 3
Colorado 1
Mississippi 1
Arkansas 0
Guam 0
Hawaii 0
Oklahoma 0
Puerto Rico 0

now go to LDA site jenifer has shown above for YOUR state's reps to send this to! thanks every one!! every letter/email/phone call MAKES A DIFFERENCE TO OUR LYME LIVES! god bless you all!
[group hug] [kiss] [group hug]

[ 19. February 2007, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: bettyg ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jenifer, i just emailed

IOWAS REP. TOM LATHAM; are we to do the others in our states or ONLY REP for our district? thanks!! [Big Grin] [Wink]

2006 ... IOWA'S LEONARD BOSWELL WAS A CO-SPONSOR FOR BILL; only 1 out of 5 here!!! [Big Grin]

Neil M Martin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil M Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for this post.

I see Arizona Representative Raul Grijalva cosponsored HR 741. I asked Representative Giffords to do so also.

--------------------
Neil

Posts: 697 | From Tucson, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lalalu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lalalu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masschusetts Conressman Capuano is on board. Here is his response to me:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding H.R. 3427, the Lyme and Tick-borne Disease Prevention, Education, and Research Act, and its status in Congress. I appreciate having your thoughts on this issue.

The legislation you inquired about was introduced during the 109th Congress. Unfortunately, that legislation, which would have provided funding for education and research on, and treatment of, Lyme Disease was not considered during the 109th Congress. On January 31, 2007, Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ) re-introduced this legislation in the House as H.R. 741. I assure you that should this legislation come to the floor, I will have your views in mind.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your views with me. If my staff or I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,

Michael E. Capuano
Member of Congress

--------------------
http://chroniclyme.blogspot.com/

"Illnesses, hover constantly above us, their seed blown by the winds, but they do not set in the terrain unless the terrain is ready to receive them."---Claude Bernard.

Posts: 131 | From US | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pmerv
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pmerv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HR 741 is identical to last year's bill to reduce confusion. If your legislators signed on last year, they should sign onto this bill as a co-sponsor. We ONLY have 32 co-sponsors so far.

Congresspeople signed on as of yesterday are:

Rep Ackerman, Gary L. [NY-5] - 1/31/2007
Rep Allen, Thomas H. [ME-1] - 2/28/2007
Rep Baird, Brian [WA-3] - 1/31/2007
Rep Bartlett, Roscoe G. [MD-6] - 2/28/2007
Rep Bean, Melissa L. [IL-8] - 1/31/2007
Rep Cummings, Elijah E. [MD-7] - 2/12/2007
Rep DeLauro, Rosa L. [CT-3] - 1/31/2007
Rep Drake, Thelma D. [VA-2] - 3/28/2007
Rep English, Phil [PA-3] - 3/7/2007
Rep Ferguson, Mike [NJ-7] - 2/15/2007
Rep Gerlach, Jim [PA-6] - 2/28/2007
Rep Gilchrest, Wayne T. [MD-1] - 1/31/2007
Rep Grijalva, Raul M. [AZ-7] - 1/31/2007
Rep Holden, Tim [PA-17] - 1/31/2007
Rep Kennedy, Patrick J. [RI-1] - 3/7/2007
Rep Kind, Ron [WI-3] - 3/9/2007
Rep Kirk, Mark Steven [IL-10] - 1/31/2007
Rep Langevin, James R. [RI-2] - 1/31/2007
Rep Lowey, Nita M. [NY-18] - 1/31/2007
Rep McHugh, John M. [NY-23] - 1/31/2007
Rep McNulty, Michael R. [NY-21] - 2/15/2007
Rep Platts, Todd Russell [PA-19] - 3/22/2007
Rep Ruppersberger, C. A. Dutch [MD-2] - 2/15/2007
Rep Shays, Christopher [CT-4] - 1/31/2007
Rep Stark, Fortney Pete [CA-13] - 2/28/2007
Rep Stupak, Bart [MI-1] - 1/31/2007
Rep Thompson, Mike [CA-1] - 2/12/2007
Rep Van Hollen, Chris [MD-8] - 3/1/2007
Rep Welch, Peter [VT] - 3/9/2007
Rep Wolf, Frank R. [VA-10] - 2/28/2007
Rep Woolsey, Lynn C. [CA-6] - 3/1/2007
Rep Wynn, Albert Russell [MD-4] - 2/12/2007

Phone calls are EASY!! If you don't know who your legislators are, go to http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/

All you have to do is type in your ZIP code.

WHEN YOU PHONE:

Tell the person who answers the phone that you are calling to ask them to sponsor the Lyme disease bill.

Give them the bill number, HR 741

They may ask for your zip code. Basically they just tally the calls and add up the totals at the end of the week to report back to the legislators. The more calls they get, the better.

I will be giving regular updates and if you don't see your legislator's name appear on the co-sponsor list, call and ask why not. You might be able to talk with your legislator's health aide and tell some of your story.

Massachusetts Congressman Capuano is NOT on board. Don't let your congressman slip away with a response like the generic letter above. I will post his letter on MassachusettsLyme and see if I can get some of his constituents to hammer on him. We want co-sponsors, not just yes votes. Without co-sponsors, it never will get out on the floor to be voted on.

These people are supposed to represent US!! Get in their face, people!
pm

--------------------
Phyllis Mervine
LymeDisease.org

Posts: 1808 | From Ukiah, California, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soleilpie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soleilpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fully support this bill and I'm going to write my representatives, but I can't help but wonder what researchers will actually receive the funding to study Lyme.

I guess it's not good to think like that but if it goes to researchers who won't study Lyme properly, then it'll be a complete waste of tax payer money.

I pray that the right studies will be conducted should this bill pass.

--------------------
The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back.
-Abigail van Buren (Pauline Esther Friedman) (1918-2002)

Posts: 409 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bystander
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bystander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a quick link for both finding and emailing your representative:

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Posts: 204 | From ma | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can go here and see the status of the bill and which Reps have already signed on as co-sponsors. I think there are 87 so far.

thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:HR00741:@@@P

Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:HR00741:@@@P
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IOWA HAS 1 OF 5 HOUSE REPS NOW CO-SPONSORING HR 741!

today, i received a letter from Rep TOM LATHAM covering central Iowa. Per my numerous attempts to get him to do this, he wrote he is NOW COSPONSORING this bill.

i hit him up with this on july 5 when he was in ames with sec. of agriculture, mike. took many followups!

hey IOWANS, HOW ARE YOU COMING ON GETTING YOUR HOUSE REP TO CO-SPONSOR THIS TOO????

TINCUP, DID YOU READ THIS?? hope so since you were bugging me about this 1-2 months ago! [lol] [Wink]

Cockapoo1996
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cockapoo1996     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pmerv,

Thanks for your link. Phone calls are easy and gratifying. You get to tell someone:

"Please support bill HR 741 in favor of helping people with lyme disease".

I am also apparently getting 3 letters.

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/

All you have to do is type in your ZIP code.

Posts: 472 | From New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement