LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » marijuana and antibiotics???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: marijuana and antibiotics???
igotslyme
Member # 7190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for igotslyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,
does anyone know about the effects of lyme antibiotics and marijuana? (or marijuana w/ lyme disease).not a very healthy question i know but i would like to get more information.

igotslyme

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for break the chains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not a problem. cannabis is very natural and like many herbs has few drug complications.
the only interaction which you may encounter is when taken with drugs like most pain pills or alcohol. in this case the effect of one or both of the drugs can have an amplified effect.

Posts: 245 | From connecticut, the lyme state | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont think it reacts adversly with antibiotics. But like chains said, I'd be very careful combining it with some other drugs, especially sleep meds, etc.

While it is natural, unfortunately its often pretty polluted with some nasty chemicals that can really be detrimental to our health. Obtaining a medical grade, or pure clean source would be ideal.

Its a pretty controversial subject. I do think it can be a powerful healing herb, especially for severe pain and nausea, but I personally wouldnt use it when many brain/CNS symptoms are involved. I think it can cause more damage in many cases.

I would talk to your dr. He/she needs to know if you use it.

Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found it very instrumental in my healing. It helps with sleep, nausea, pain and stress. I am monitored by my doctor who prescribes it for me.

I find it gentler and more effective than pharmaceuticals for my symptoms and experience far less side effects.

I had many neuro symptoms and they are all resolving.

In addition to the cautions already mentioned, I would also watch for unwanted weight gain and decreased blood pressure if these are issues for you.

BTW I am also on abx.

[This message has been edited by DolphinLady (edited 15 April 2005).]

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DolphinLady --

I am considering moving to California now!

I ditto the advice given above about being careful for any nasty "additives".

Also, with some people, maryj can mess with the immune system in a way that is not favorable....don't know why...I just read it somewhere...and also know of someone who experienced negative effects...but I'm not telling who!

------------------
DR. Wiseass - not a real doc - just a real wise ass.
www.twistoflyme.blogspot.com

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzip
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used to be a joker, a smoker, a midnight toker.

since i developed neuro symptoms the herb makes my symptoms much worse!

no go for me. neither smoking nor eating it.

cannabis studies are very very mixed. some studies show immune enhancement, some show immune decreasment. there is absolutely no consensus on it.

though i highly doubt any drug interaction. don't smoke the seeds.

Posts: 795 | From nyc | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would advise you to get off the weed. I know it makes your life more comfortable, but your recovery will be better and you will be less lazy and more likely to exercise and eat right without the weed.

at the very least, eat it instead of smoking it.

but you really should stop the weed. and if you have some left over, email me and I can give you a shipping address.
just kidding.

quote:
Originally posted by zipzip:
i used to be a joker, a smoker, a midnight toker.

since i developed neuro symptoms the herb makes my symptoms much worse!

no go for me. neither smoking nor eating it.

cannabis studies are very very mixed. some studies show immune enhancement, some show immune decreasment. there is absolutely no consensus on it.

though i highly doubt any drug interaction. don't smoke the seeds.

Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for break the chains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cannabis is a neuro protective. this has been shown clinically. it actually stops degeneration in MS. those that consumed cannabis did substaintially better than those that did not. some studies show that 50% or greater of people with MS have very active mycoplasma infections. the same is true with lyme alhtough the numbers are even higher. montel williams has MS and uses cannabis. his results have been inline with the studies. he claims that it stops him from getting worse and allows him to do his show and live fairly normally. i personally have good reason to believe he has mycoplasma from vaccines. supposedly cananbis is such a strong neuro protective agent that it is an antidote for nerve gas. the government has studied it for this and many other reasons. the government has done massive ammounts of secret research on cannabis including producing a geneticially altered strain which is of unequalled potency.
cannabis also stops and reverses the grown of brain tumors in mice. just last week the bbc published that cannabis can greatly help you avoid stroke and heart disease.
"Cannabis chemical 'helps heart'
Cardiac testing
The cannabis chemical helps ward of heart disease, scientists say" http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4417261.stm

anti-cancer, anti-tumor, and other many many benifits have been published by the bbc. this is not a harmful drug. this is a divine healing plant.

[This message has been edited by break the chains (edited 15 April 2005).]

Posts: 245 | From connecticut, the lyme state | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
break the chains, interesting stuff! I am all for legalizing marijuana and I believe it has powerful healing capabilities. But I had a similar experience as zipzip - VERY bad for the neuro stuff. I'm glad it helps others though...its certainly better for you than most conventional medicines.

This is the calmest thread on marijuana I've ever seen on this board!!

Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if that's true, how did jerry garcia possibly die? the guy should be immortal...on the other hand, keith richards is still around.

quote:
Originally posted by break the chains:
cannabis is a neuro protective. this has been shown clinically. it actually stops degeneration in MS. those that consumed cannabis did substaintially better than those that did not. some studies show that 50% or greater of people with MS have very active mycoplasma infections. the same is true with lyme alhtough the numbers are even higher. montel williams has MS and uses cannabis. his results have been inline with the studies. he claims that it stops him from getting worse and allows him to do his show and live fairly normally. i personally have good reason to believe he has mycoplasma from vaccines. supposedly cananbis is such a strong neuro protective agent that it is an antidote for nerve gas. the government has studied it for this and many other reasons. the government has done massive ammounts of secret research on cannabis including producing a geneticially altered strain which is of unequalled potency.
cannabis also stops and reverses the grown of brain tumors in mice. just last week the bbc published that cannabis can greatly help you avoid stroke and heart disease.
"Cannabis chemical 'helps heart'
Cardiac testing
The cannabis chemical helps ward of heart disease, scientists say" http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4417261.stm

anti-cancer, anti-tumor, and other many many benifits have been published by the bbc. this is not a harmful drug. this is a divine healing plant.

[This message has been edited by break the chains (edited 15 April 2005).]

Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

jerry garcia was over weight and im pretty sure he was into some very heavy serious drugs.

there are two different species of cannabis with very different results. most of what is availible is one type, indica. sativa is very different, although hard to get a hold of. if given a proper array of strains like at a good cannabis club i would bet that everyone here could find something to make them feel better.

richeerichhh
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have neuro lyme and have used it when my fog got real bad. I definately takes the pain away but I seriously doubt it helps kill the bacteria. As to making the CNS problems worse, it doesn't make sense since the part of lyme causing problems for your head it purely neurotoxins, and responses to your bodies immune deficiency. Marijuana affects a totally different region in your brain, and with all the studies that are out on Marijuana and your immune system, none of them can agree if it helps or hurts it. I would think if it blantantly brought your immune system down the results would be more an obviously like other street drugs such as cocaine. I personally think marijuana has no effect on your immune system whatsoever, it simply helps with the pain.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trevor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4353

Icon 10 posted      Profile for trevor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SATIVEX
GW Pharmaceuticals, check it out

Magical healing and teaching plant

enhances cerebroperfusion

antioxidant more powerful than Vit's E and C by at least 40 orders of magnitude

In mice with experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), the murine model of MS, ALL improved by ~90% and many developed no sypmtomology whatsoever.

Enhances bronchodilation

Anti-herpetic

Combats wasting syndromes

Anti-inflammatory

Anti-neoplasltic

And the list goes on and on...

Posts: 208 | From Seattle and Los Angeles | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

my opinion: if you have a brain disease, don't smoke weed. period. and I know what I am talking about.

it's been shown that individuals with organic mental disease are more prone to substance abuse. so this is something brainlymes should be very careful with.

now, that being said, there may be some positive benefits to marijuana. cook and eat. do not smoke. even then I advise against it because regular use of marijuana can contribute to lassitude, fatigue, and anhedonia, which are major symptoms already of CNS lyme. you're making your problems worse. you are also making yourself more prone to eating junk food and being lazy when you need to be eating well, losing weight, and exercising.

marijuana use can contribute to memory lapse and paranoia, other prime manifestations of lyme disease.

some people handle it better than others. I've seen friends bench press 250 lbs while they were stoned.

however, I wouldn't personally endorse the use of weed by anyone with serious CNS lyme disease as I feel it is counterproductive when examined from every perspective.

wait until you're healthy to do something like this. and remember, it's illegal. and the last thing you need if you have lyme disease is to have to go to court for possession. maybe that's not an issue in other parts of the country, but in oklahoma, they will felonize you for a half ounce and then you're dealing with lyme treatment issues from behind bars. which I hear is not a pleasant experience.

HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At first thought, I tend to agree with SunRa. But on second thought, it may be worth a try if the chronic pain is really debilitating.
I know that if it's good quality, the side effects are much more tolerable than those of demerol, for example.
It may seem contraindicated for "brain fog", since its use generates a sort of brain fog; however, for some people it lowers the level of anxiety that the lyme fog causes, and thus may stop the negative snowballing effect usually caused by that anxiety. I don't know about this stuff, but I think it has something to do with which neurotransmitters are affected, etc.- I think they're different for the neuro-toxins of lyme, and cannibis.
I did not try the marijuana; but it's GOTTA be WAY better than the poisonous stuff I tried (..'celebrex')! I got the ...'celebrex'... for free though. (that was way too high a price to pay..they still owe me some money for trying it, I'd say!.)
I did find 'nutrijoint', gingko, and sometimes ibuprofen, helped immensely. And almost surely with less side-effects. Heat is good, too. (but- caution, still-- the heat isn't always side-effect free.)
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trevor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4353

Icon 5 posted      Profile for trevor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's "nutrijoint" HappyCarl?

Posts: 208 | From Seattle and Los Angeles | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like a lot of things cannabis has pros and cons. In addition, we are all very unique and will have different experiences with it.

So educate yourself, pay attention to your body's response, don't use lyme as an excuse to abuse it etc.

It has really helped me, however I don't need very much at all on the rare occasion when I do use it.

In addition to there being different strains, there are also different qualities. And as with any herb, the fresher the better.

The dispensary I go to has over a dozen kind in one catergory and about a dozen in another category.

If it wasn't for the lyme I wouldn't go near the stuff, but I'm sure glad to have it when I need it.

Of great importance is if you tend toward manic/depression or bi-polar disease it will make these worse! In this case I would definitely say it's strongly contraindicated.

Be very very careful with anything you put in your body in general. Something that works for most people, might be harmful to the next person.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tikbit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tikbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy do you have a lot to learn.

I don't smoke pot anymore, it gives me panic attacks, but Montel and a lot of other people like him are most certainly not lazy!

Lazy, how can someone who's stuck in bed or on the couch due to this &^%$ disease be lazy and who cares anyway.

I am not promoting the use but you can't say with any certainty at all that it is out. You can't know anything with that much certainty, nobody does.

As far as us being prone to drug abuse, what the &^%$.Well you got us, we all are druggies and speaking for myself and others I know personally we will and do take anything we need no matter how strong it is to relieve the pain, fear, and anziety that goes with lyme.

There are a lot of us on time release morphine and similar drugs to treat the pain and I bet every one of us would give up the drugs in a heartbeat if we got well.

People who need pain meds or any other so called addictive substance don't take them to get high they take them to be able to live.

Posts: 115 | From katy,texas,usa | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tikbit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tikbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That last post was to answer aligondo bruce and I might add chill. I am 48 had eight children and been there and done most of that.
Posts: 115 | From katy,texas,usa | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

look, I understand your point of view. relax, I'm not condemning anyone for using marijuana.

I am personally in favor of legalization.

I am just basing on my own history here. It's not appropriate for me to get too much into, but I can assure you that in the realm of marijuana and other hallucinogens I know what I am talking about, OK? It's just my opinion. never did heroin, coke, or meth or ecstacsy. other than morphine for medical reasons.

The laziness factor, what I meant was that if you are trying to recover your energy level, you are probably best off not doing weed. I know what regular pot use does to people. On the other hand, if you are being denied antibiotics and have no real hope for recovery, go for it. If I was in this position I would probably smoke myself silly, get some peyote from an indian friend, and go out to the desert to fry.

I just have a strong feeling personally that if you are trying to recover, pot can interfere with that. you only get so many chances for IV antibiotics before your insurance company screws you over, so my opinion is get exercise, lose weight, and try to be as healthy as possible to increase your metabolism and energy level.

what I said about organic mental illness and substance abuse is based on scientific studies. it's not a criticism of anyone. It's something to look out for. a damaged brain is more sensitive to these things. and if you've suffered severely from paranoid delusions or other neuropsychiatric manifestations of CNS lyme, I can't possibly see how pot could help you. I see it as intensifying certain negative effects.

and by the way, I'm as lazy as anyone out there. lately I've been spending entire days in bed again. sleeping. I'm in the same boat, OK? I had a day recently when my back hurt so badly I couldn't get off the ground.

I apologize if my comments upset anyone. I didn't mean for them to sound malicious.

quote:
Originally posted by tikbit:
Boy do you have a lot to learn.

I don't smoke pot anymore, it gives me panic attacks, but Montel and a lot of other people like him are most certainly not lazy!

Lazy, how can someone who's stuck in bed or on the couch due to this &^%$ disease be lazy and who cares anyway.

I am not promoting the use but you can't say with any certainty at all that it is out. You can't know anything with that much certainty, nobody does.

As far as us being prone to drug abuse, what the &^%$.Well you got us, we all are druggies and speaking for myself and others I know personally we will and do take anything we need no matter how strong it is to relieve the pain, fear, and anziety that goes with lyme.

There are a lot of us on time release morphine and similar drugs to treat the pain and I bet every one of us would give up the drugs in a heartbeat if we got well.

People who need pain meds or any other so called addictive substance don't take them to get high they take them to be able to live.

trevor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4353

Icon 7 posted      Profile for trevor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen tikbit and aligondo, but we're all friends on the same side here, and I'm with you don't get me wrong. Unity=strength. Division/infighting=vulnerability. Indeed though, medical necessity is an unassailable legal and moral argument for the use of cannabis. And your point is well-taken, if we're on the !@#$%^^! couch already why not if it helps? And many of us are not bed-ridden, like me for example, and cannabis makes us much more functional and comfortable. I may waver once in a while and spend way too much money at toys'r'us, or go skinny-dipping, but not usually and let's not underestimate the therapeutic power of joy . On balance, the sweet mother ganj is a good thing. Been a while for me though, I have to agree that the smoke is bad, eating is much better and healthier, I just happen to be too busy right now for even that. It's all love.

trevor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trevor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus, to echo another point made, the different strains, or varying ratios of the over 450 cannabinoids in the plant make its many extended relatives essentially very different medicines. Some are being used for psychosis and MD for example, while others with different ratios of the cannabinoids are used for their energy-enhancing effects. The Swaziland farmers are known for their indefatigable stamina care of the Swazi skunk strain of heavily THC-laden sativa cannabis. The hindu kush indica strains, much heavier in cannabidiol, have almost the opposite effect, the couch-lock effect. There's a strain for almost every different mental and pathophysiological disposition. Incidentally, you don't have to get high or altered to benefit. Check out Dexanabinol, a non-psychoactive cannabidiol synthetic used in Israel for stroke and closed head trauma victims. And there are always vaporizers for the hydrocarbon-shy who still want to inhale. So many possibilities, so irreducible, so promising.
trevor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4353

Icon 7 posted      Profile for trevor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi shelly, I agree. It's not just people self-medicating though, it's gargantuan pharmaceutical companies, teams of researchers and hospitals. We've come full circle. Cannabis has been used medicinally for everything from rheumatism to asthma for as long as history has been recorded. Then there was reefer madness, that was political BS to get rid of the Mexicans. And now our more narrow criteria for establishing clinical applicability are being med by rigorous scientific scrutiny.

break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

some good points have been made here, but comparing cannabis to a hallucallagens and serious drugs is a mistake. also as trevor has pointed out there are many strains which have many effects. it is typical knee jerk uninformed reaction that cannabis makes you lazy, or could do damage. it will not cause any damage, and in addition there are strains which will highly energize you. the problem is that most cannabis out there on the streets is the indica species. this is because the indica grows faster and produces more product. this has made it popular with those growers trying to maximize profit (most growers) as trevor said indica causes "couch-lock." the other species, sativa, does quite the opposite. it can be great for clearing up the mind, easing depression, and giving a boost of energy. that is if you can get a hold of it. this is where legal clubs really come in handy. i have heard of sick people blazing some good sativa and getting up and cleaning the whole house, or going out.
cannabis is not a drug! this may seem like a false statement since it has been pounded into our minds that it is. all drugs are alkaloids, even plants. cannabis is a lipid. in addition every single drug has a harmful dose, and a overdose limit. cannabis has no such restrictions. it has been estimated that it would take something like 8 pounds of cannabis ingested at once to cause death. infact potatoes and many other foods are far more toxic than cannabis. i know a guy who has tried to prove the safety of cannabis repeatedly by taking as much as he could in hash and other highly potent mixes. sometimes he would drift off to sleep, but would always wake up feeling good with no downsite whatsoever. if a drug is going to do damage, taking a lot is going to do a lot of damage. this is not the case here.

i remeber my LLMD docotor wanted to give me oxy-cotin and other pharmys. comparing oxy-cotin and cannabis is like comparing ginsing and heroin. they are in completely different classes and there is no comparison to be made. my LLMD (huge llmd of ilads) sees the huge benifit of taking such a natural herb over going off the deep end with the heavy drugs. i know he even reccomends it along with other lyme docs. i know a girl whos parents forbid cannabis but had her taking oxy-cotin a long with a bunch of other drugs. it got to the point where she was totally addicted to the drugs, getting no benifit, only bad negative symptoms and fighting with the addiction. now she has seen the light and primarily smokes cannabis instead.
before cannabis was made illegal cannabis medicine made up 25% of the entire prescription drug market. there is a reason why its making its way back out to legalization. because it works beautifully, and it is pure and of god. it really makes many prescription meds look very silly. especially if you understand the toxicity and harmful nature of them.
vaporizer is a great idea, there is no need to smoke. the volcano is the best, and totally worth getting.

break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

alcoholism is the lowest in jamaica out of all the caribbean islands. in addition productivty is highest. all thanks to a culture which understands ganja.

they were trying to do a study to prove that cannabis causes a-motivational syndrome, so they went to jamica where they smoke the most.
to their disapointment they found that productivity with workers was greater with higher ganja consumption.

they were also trying to prove that cannabis causes birth defects. what they found is that the jamaican babies born to ganja smoking mothers ( even durring pregnancy ) were healther and in better shape than other babies.

i posted previously that cannabis is not a drug. it actually binds to receptors we have in our brains that help regulate hunger, happiness, and the autonomic neverous system (ANS.) we have lipids in our brains which are continually used in the same receptors as cannabis. its a different key that opens the same lock. the chemical is called anandamide.
this checmial as well as other cannabinoids are found in all types of breast milk!

"Anandamide, known as "the bliss chemical", is a cannabinoid naturally found in the human brain which is released while we are feeling great."

TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perk?

Marijuana? where?

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

cannabis is usually classified as a hallucinogen. it may not cause visual hallucinations unless you are smoking some really good KB. but hallucinatory activity is defined for other senses as well as thought action.

while you may have good points about different strains of weed, how many lyme patients are going to be able to afford the $100+ it costs (at least in my neck of the woods) for a quarter ounce or even less of these strains? and most people unless they are tied into the system or live in a big city are not going to be smoking high grade strains. it's a question of access. you'll be smoking either local product (referred to as McCurtain county gold around here) or that mexican crap.

my experience with severe CNS lyme and extensive hands on experience with many types of cannabis would indicate to me that marijuana use is a BAD idea in general. you could experience a psychotic paranoid reaction, for instance.and how many scientific studies have been done on the efficacy of marijuana use in diffuse organic brain syndromes? I don't know the answer to this question, but my guess is the numbers are small or nonexistent. maybe I'm wrong here, and I'm sure that will be pointed out in the very near future.

It's well established that chronic marijuana use can result in an amotivational syndrome. I don't need scientific studies and neither should most people who have taken an adequate number of bong hits to realize that pot use can make you lazy. and it's not good for your lungs if you are smoking it.I would tend to discount a study done in the kleptolaziness capital of the world the tropical paradise of jamaica whose major products are cannabis, rum, flowery shirts, and really cool music.

if marijuana use helped CURE lyme, I would be in training for the olympics. can it help? can it alleviate symptoms? I'm sure it can in some cases. so I'm not attacking people, I'm just saying be careful, and for god's sake don't smoke it.

break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

"I would tend to discount a study done in the kleptolaziness capital of the world the tropical paradise of jamaica whose major products are cannabis, rum, flowery shirts, and really cool music."

the study was not one done by jamaicans, but instead our government on a cuture where ganja is considered sacred and is accepted socially. futhermore the study did not look at just jamaica, but the carribian islands. this is how a comparison was made.

"if marijuana use helped CURE lyme, I would be in training for the olympics. can it help? can it alleviate symptoms? I'm sure it can in some cases. so I'm not attacking people, I'm just saying be careful, and for god's sake don't smoke it."

no one here has even come close to the claim that cannabis can cure lyme. what i have stated is that is a proven neuro protective agent that can stop futher degeneration. one of the worst things that the diseases we have do is use the body against itself and cause all sorts of damage.
im glad that you agree it can help and offer relief from symptoms. before i learnt about the help i could get from ganja i was much sicker, and could not even remember my birthday and other important information. i have had no problems that extreme since then. i have experienced a modest increase in my health and outlook since then. my quality of life is much greater although i am still quite sick.
lyme patients are getting all sorts of very serious hard drugs for our symptoms when cananbis should be considered before all of these opiates and such.

ivebeentricked
Member # 6944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ivebeentricked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know the risks of mushrooms that cause one to hallucinate? I have heard from a number of people (none of them have any basis for making the claim) that mushrooms are thought by many to be good for the body, antibacterial and anti viral, when taken on occasion?

I have no idea if this is true or not, but does anyone else?

Posts: 99 | From California | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tikbit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6629

not to mention it works really well for the nausea and Although it may be listed as a halucinogen I have never nor do I know of anyone who has ever had a halucination unless of course it was lace with something else. Bruce I'm sorry I was so catty I was having a bad day and took what you said wrong.
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

mostly with marijuana when you talk about it being a hallucinogen you are referring to enhanced thoughts and sensations which aren't actually there. but if say you smoke some really good stuff, it can happen, you can experience visual hallucinations.

personally, I have to say that of everything I've done, mushrooms are the coolest. I think it sucks that our stupid laws prevent responsible adults from using the same spiritual substances our ancestors used i.e. weed, mushrooms, peyote, etc. I've had new and meaningful insights into nature and myself.

although one thing I would never do again is salvia, as bizarre as that sounds...I haven't really done any of this stuff in about two years, but I did have a moment last year where a friend talked me into salvia, I thought, what the heck, it's legal. so then we smoked a big fat salvia joint, I inhaled like there was no tomorrow because I thought I'd have to in order to feel anything, and then suddenly I could barely crawl, and I felt like I was going to dissolve. really disturbing fortunately brief experience, with racing horrible thoughts about my imminent death from a disease that is hardly acknowledged. and since then, I've decided no more for now until my situation improves. and that influences my views on others.

and hey, no problem man. I can be a very big sarcastic jerk. no hard feelings.

quote:
Originally posted by tikbit:
not to mention it works really well for the nausea and Although it may be listed as a halucinogen I have never nor do I know of anyone who has ever had a halucination unless of course it was lace with something else. Bruce I'm sorry I was so catty I was having a bad day and took what you said wrong.

pippy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6005

Icon 10 posted      Profile for pippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you do not want to smoke it, you can buy a vaporizer which lets you inhale the THC without the toxins released from the burning of the bud. www.bcvaporizer.com

[This message has been edited by pippy (edited 21 July 2005).]

Posts: 446 | From California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ivebeentricked
Member # 6944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ivebeentricked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vaporizers reduce some of the toxins that get created at temperatures high enough to cause combustion but they do not take away all of the harm in smoking. Smoke from a vaporizer is still smoke and it does do some damage, just not as much as a joint, pipe, or bong. Eating cannabis is the safest way to go but its expensive to buy enough to cook with usually. Marijuana really does relieve some of my symptoms, especially when I eat it. But it can make others worse for me when smoked.
Posts: 99 | From California | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trevor:
What's "nutrijoint" HappyCarl?

--It has condroitin sulfate,glucosamine, MSM. It was quite helpful. But you need to separate when when you take nutrijoint from when you take doxycycline, if you're on that antibiotic.
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Yes! Mushrooms can be very healing. However, There are many toxic species, some of which are deadly. Several of these toxic species are also hallucinagenic. I know of none that are hallucinigenic that are also healing (that doesn't mean there aren't any; I just don't know of them, and I'm somewhat of a mushroom enthusiast).
The mildest species that is hallucinagenic is probably "the psilocybe mushroom", psilocybe cubensis - but it still raunches one's gut, to a certain degree. There are several other species thgat have been used as hallucinagenics by humans, including amanita muscaria andgymnopilus spectabilis I have only ventured to test the "psilocybe", many years ago-- I didn't eat much, so I didn't puke, and it did make me feel pretty odd. An interesting experience, overall. But I don't think those mushrooms have much benefit-- you can't eat enough of them. And it's rather foolish to eat any amanita>, because some species in this group are extremely poisonous.
It certainly seemed like Chanterelle mushrooms, as well as oyster mushrooms, were very healing. I can't say there was conclusive proof, but I definitely suspected they were quite beneficial. They are also very good tasting.

Making tea from ganoderma mushrooms seemed helpful. Cut pieces off the fruiting bodies and boil them in a cloth teabag, in a couple cups of pure water, for about 4 minutes. The tea has a pleasant flavor.
There are several species of ganoderma that seem good. Ganoderma are large "shelf fungus" that grow on wood. The best known is the "reishi", that you can buy dried, in health food stores. (as well as occasionally find growing on a log or dead tree). Another species of ganoderma is the "artist fungus" which has a very white underside that darkens when bruised. And there's a ganoderma that grows at the base of pine trees that seems to be very healing, when tea is made from it. It has the latin name ganoderma tsuge.

DaveS

quote:
Originally posted by ivebeentricked:
Does anyone know the risks of mushrooms that cause one to hallucinate? I have heard from a number of people (none of them have any basis for making the claim) that mushrooms are thought by many to be good for the body, antibacterial and anti viral, when taken on occasion?

break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

quote:
Originally posted by ivebeentricked:
Vaporizers reduce some of the toxins that get created at temperatures high enough to cause combustion but they do not take away all of the harm in smoking. Smoke from a vaporizer is still smoke and it does do some damage, just not as much as a joint, pipe, or bong. Eating cannabis is the safest way to go but its expensive to buy enough to cook with usually. Marijuana really does relieve some of my symptoms, especially when I eat it. But it can make others worse for me when smoked.

this is totally wrong. a real vaporizer does just what it says. it vaporizes the essential oils without producing any smoke whatsoever. instead of flame and combustion, a mild heat is used. the only thing that happens is that essential oils vaporize at these temperatures. on the volcano you can adjust the temp. all it does is blow hot air through the ganja into a bag to cool. the whole point is to completely avoid flame and the harmful by products of combustion. the optimal temperature for vaporizing cannabis is around 350 degrees. you could easily bake something in the oven at this temp, the cake isnt going to go up in flames. you can feel your lungs completely clear out and clean up when switching to a vape. once i found it there was no looking back.

good vaporizers have been shown to be very very efficent and safe. a little bit of ganj goes a loong way with a vape. this is partially because combustion destroys everything including those essential oils you are after. a good vape does not even smell like smoke, in fact they hardly smell at all. i have used a vaporizer in college dorm rooms with no worries.
eating is nice once in a while, and can be amazing for getting rid of symptoms, but it has its downsides. for example you need to use many many times more of the same expensive product. in addition you need to have something to injest it in. i along with others are avoiding the kind of treats you would typically put buds in. just the fact that you have to use so much makes it a rare thing for myself and those that i know.

[This message has been edited by break the chains (edited 18 April 2005).]

trevor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4353

Icon 10 posted      Profile for trevor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes if the vaporizer is producing smoke, it's broken or not being used properly. And some of the cannabinoids are destroyed by too much heat. It can be tricky to calibrate exact temps but it's not impossible with good equipment. The best vaporizers have heat guns with digital temp readings, this is what Snoop Dog uses, they can be $500 for the less savvy negotiatior. But the vapor stone is different from smoking, appropriately you don't feel as baked when you vaporize, and sometimes you want to. Great point about anandamide, indeed we produce our own endogenous cannabinoids. One other point, cannabis is often laden with pesticides, petrochemicals and molds (esp. aspegillus). Many of the pesticides are thanks to the war on drugs' crop dusting Central and South American fields, resulting in earlier harvesting and toxic product that still gets to us. This adulteration, no in fact, this poisoning and molestation of the sweet humble mother, is partly responsible for the many conflicting and negative results both people and observational studies have found. Organic is the only way to go. And eating it shouldn't require more than three times you would need to smoke, but if you cook it wrong, it could take an ounce. The trick is grinding it well and cooking it first alone with enough butter until all the green just disappears, and then you can add it to anything. Garlic will potentiate the effects of injestion. The cannabinoids are lipid-soluble and require heat to release and to bind to the lipids in the butter for absorption. Waking up with a protein shake with added fruit and doobish (ganj) either sends me to the hills and gardens with my Mogadishuesque water cannon for about five hours of active meditation and irrigation, or it sends me to the gym for a workout with greatly enhanced sensory awareness and better results. The best wrestlers in college were all heads (stonerspeak for stoner) and the regional champ and captain was the biggest head of all, and a meathead of course. Interestingly, the debate team president and APDA (Atlantic Parliamentary Debate Association) speaker of the year when I was in college puffed the gentle green philosopher before every debate. This is the Hightimes discussion forum right? How did we get onto shrooms now? They're totally separate. Many of the greatest healing shrooms are not psychoactive. These include turkey tail, reishi, shiitake, chaga, cordyceps, agaricus and maitake. The psychoactive shrooms like the amanitas (Alice in Wonderland) and the psilocybes need to be treated with greater respect but indeed serve instrumental medicinal purposes in many of the shamanic traditions. Some belive the amanitas were the famous soma in the Vedas and others claim human evolution would not have progreesed nearly as far or in the way it has without them. The shamanic medicine men will often injest not necessarily only shrooms, but maybe ayahuasca, datura, peyote or something else, along with their subjects and the pair with cross over into the spirit world to do battle with the evil spirits at the deepest root of the ailment that needs to be addressed. Very facinating but also very unpalatable stuff to the western mind, unless it reserves judgement until sufficient respect and study have been invested. Cheers for an interesting discussion!

trevor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4353

One other concern with vaporizers is with what they're made of and how heat can cause these materials to offgas and become part of the vapor. For example, if you're heating plastic or polyvinyl chloride to over 300 degrees, you're getting offgassed particulates from the materials that make up the vaporizers. Unleaded glass is good, be aware of what you're vaporizng, at high tempuratures and with certain materials, it wont be just the cannabis. Legally growing your own organic cannabis and then eating it is really the best way to go.
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

ask cheech and chong. they'll know what you should do.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

try smoking the antibiotic, and get back to me with a report on this.

if you don't kiss the wrong end of the horse, I might try it.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzip
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
canada approves cannabis drug
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4460491.stm

Shares in GW Pharmaceuticals rose nearly 10% after the UK biotech firm's prescription cannabis drug was approved for use in Canada.

Sativex is used to treat the central nervous system and alleviate the symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS).

The Salisbury-based company said this was the world's first approval of a medicine derived from cannabis.

Delays in development of the product - its first to come to the market - has hit GW's stock price in the past.

Shares in GW shares were up 12 pence at 133p in early afternoon trade on the London Stock Exchange.

Sativex, administered by a mouth spray, will be marketed in Canada by German company Bayer.

GW said it hoped to launch Sativex in Canada in late spring.

"The approval of Sativex reflects the urgent need for additional treatment options in the field of neuropathic pain in MS," said Dr Allan Gordon of Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, in a statement issued by regulators Health Canada.

Secret field

Some MS patients already smoke cannabis to relieve their symptoms.

Satifex consists of a cannabis extract containing tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol.

GW had originally hoped to win UK approval for Sativex in 2003.

The UK government granted GW Pharma a licence to cultivate cannabis for medical research purposes and plants are grown at a secret location in the English countryside.

Last December, however, the UK authorities said they wanted more evidence about its benefits before they approved it.

"We very much hope it wont be long before those in the UK are sharing the benefits which people with MS in Canada can now experience," said Mike O'Donovan, chief executive of the Multiple Sclerosis Society.

GW spokesman Mark Rogerson said the company would look to market Sativex in the EU after UK approval is granted.

This year, he said GW would take the "first steps" to seek approval for a cannabis-derived drug in the US.

------------------
"Life is wasted on the living."

Posts: 795 | From nyc | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brentb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the Hightimes discussion forum right?

Nice stuff trevor. I can personaly agree to all the post. Depending on the individual overuse can make one lazy and eat to much. I doubt this is a problem for say a cancer patient or a wasting disease. In my case I know I wouldn't be here if not for the relief from MJ. Legalization is the only moral course of action. As of now I smoke only at night with music and meditation. Sure as hell beats a six pack and watching the tube imo.
As far as shrooms did them as a youth. Learned the ultimate truth on them! Of course the the ultimate truth in the hands of a kid does little without the life experience to understand it...
back to the lyme channel

Posts: 731 | From Humble,TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

quote:
Legally growing your own organic cannabis and then eating it is really the best way to go. [/B]

---Yes, it is a very hardy plant. If you live in the north. you need to start seedlings inside in the spring. Crtain animals (besides humans) seem to like it, though; you have to watch for that. Depending on the state you live in, you may want to do your cultivation on the property of someone who has given you a certain amount of grief.... ...

break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

the volcano vaporizer is very superior. i have used the heat gun types as well and they are okay but dont even come close to the volcano. both for quality, and ease of use. although the heat gun is better than most of the heat box and other types of vapes. the volcano is expensive, but it really is so efficent that it pays for itself. in addition it was made specifically for medical use of cannabis and has been through the most rigorous of testing. i have seen them on ebay slightly used for $325-50 as well.
http://www.storz-bickel.com/

there was a study done on the volcano vapor by norml/maps http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/vaporizerstudy2.html

Previous studies have found that vaporizers can reduce harmful toxins in cannabis smoke. However this is the first study to analyze the gas phase of the vapor for a wide range of toxins
The new study used a gas chromatograph mass spectrometer (GCMS) to examine the gas components of the vapor. .The analysis showed that the Volcano� vapor was remarkably clean, consisting 95% of THC with traces of cannabinol (CBN), another cannabinoid. The remaining 5% consisted of small amounts of three other components: one suspected cannabinoid relative, one suspected PAH, and caryophyllene, a fragrant oil in cannabis and other plants. In contrast over 111 different components appeared in the gas of the combusted smoke, including a half dozen known PAHs. Non-cannabinoids accounted for as much as 88% of the total gas content of the smoke.

[This message has been edited by break the chains (edited 19 April 2005).]

brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brentb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The vaporizer seems nice but with something like the white widow or bubblegum one,two, or three (i sometimes lose track) hits and wallah. As someone posted earlier the amount needed with todays smoke is not the same as yesteryears.
Posts: 731 | From Humble,TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trevor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4353

Hi, zip excellent info on Sativex, GWPHARM is a brave pioneer in the field of controversial pant-based therapeutics.

Their site www.gwphar.com is full of great info, especially if you go to the "research and development" section and click on "cannabis-based medicines" to find pages like:
http://www.gwpharm.com/research_cannabinoids.asp

and under "product pipeline" you'll see the myriad conditions the whole plant extracts with different ratios of the cannabinoids they use are indicated for, at:
http://www.gwpharm.com/research_pipeline.asp

I mean we're talking about a revolution in pharmacology here. And God willing the political and economic interests of, for example, the alcohol, agricultural and tobacco industries and the war on drugs, will not further stifle development of such crucial medicines nor greater awareness of the potential of cannabis.

We're talking everything from MS, diabetic neuropathy and CNS injury to arthritis, IBS, epilepsy, drug dependancy, chronic pain and even psychosis. Manipulate the ratios, as GW has, and you've got different medicines with different indications.

As far as the volcano, the last time I used one was at the 2002 Cannabis Cup in Amsterdam. It was fine, I'm just more fond of the heat guns and most fond of oral consumption.

trevor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4353

Icon 9 posted      Profile for trevor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For more info on medicinal uses, including the ANTIBIOTIC effects of cannabis, see:
http://www.rexresearch.com/hhusb/hmphlth.htm#hhl2f

trevor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4353

Didn't mean that last frown.

Just wanted to add that today, 4-20, is international cannabis day.

Don't worry be happy. Love is the only Truth, everything else is an illusion.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EZ-E
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6436

Icon 6 posted      Profile for EZ-E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thumbs down! I've smoked for most of 22 years on & off. Been trying to quit permanently for 10 years. I just quit again, 2 days ago. I've problably smoked 6 weeks of the last year. I've got nuero probs, & weed takes my mind off it, but makes me too lazy. It makes my energy about a tenth of what it is before smoking. About a year ago(when I thought I had MS) we went to a party, I drank 10 beers that nite,no probs, then smoked a bit, & my legs went to Jello. I think if ya just smoke a bit, it may help a bit. I can't smoke a little, therefore I'm on the wagon.....No more smokey for me..
Posts: 103 | From LAS VEGAS | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement