LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Buddies wanted! Anybody starting zith/mepron? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Buddies wanted! Anybody starting zith/mepron?
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 5 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent much of yesterday reading from a search on the past mepron buddies and found it interesting and supportive, since I am to start this protocol with artemisinin and heparin in the next few days.

Wondering if anyone wants to buddy up with similar protocols in time? Or if anyone just wants to be of support, that is very welcome, too.

Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailsgrl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7285

Icon 10 posted      Profile for trailsgrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be checking in on you guys and maybe buddying up when I restart mepron/zith. Great idea! Much luck to you!
Trails

Posts: 196 | From Mesilla, NM USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to have you aboard Trails!
Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Ali. I did Mepron/Zith and Artemisinin for about 13 months. I am still on Artemisinin. After the first couple of months of the Mepron herx from hell I was feeling pretty good and functional. I don't think I ever felt entirely "well" while on Mepron. But, I do think it got rid of the Babs.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I took my first zith at 7am. 250 mg. I start my heprin injections and mepron around that time with almond butter.

I thought I would start at 1/2 dose for 3 days and go to full dose then.

What do you think?

JesusisLord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JesusisLord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had about a month of the Zith & Mepron. Stopped due to a herx. Plan to restart again before long.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR BUT:
My LLMD suggests that I start one new drug at a time, so if there is a reaction we will know the culprit. Have you spoken with your doc about doing this?

Good luck and proceed with caution. Herxes can be bad with this combination.

Posts: 111 | From Tick Country | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started at full dose but, would not do that again. When I came off the goods I ramped down over a 4 week period - much better and easier on the system.

I am not your MD but am a big fan of starting out slowly. My MD is not but he lets me do what I want now because I whine about the side effects of a diving head first into the pool without water feeling that I get from starting high doses of meds.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

I am so glad you are saying this. Due to my anticipation of wanting to see change - I am beginning to feel less fatigue - I have not been very patient.

With your support I will stay at one zith and the mep and not go up for a few days. I heard the herx can come day 3, so next week could be a good time to increase the zith and adding artemisinin after that, if I am feeling ok.

Can you herx from heparin? I imagine I could since it helps get the abx in deeper.

Thanks for the wise words of caution and yes, my LLMD has mentioned to start one drug at a time, now that you mentioned it. And we are taking a road trip this weekend, so I better take care.

StinkBug
Member # 5191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StinkBug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Aliyalex,
There's a few of us here. I hope this does the trick for you and you begin feeling better soon.

I'm in this Neon Yellow Goo with Hot Pink Pill club (have you opened the bottle yet??) *grin* I've also been taking artemisia and recently forgot that I was supposed to take that on an empty stomach with some grapefruit juice but now I forget the source of my handwritten notes. I've been extra spacy...

Takes some getting used to. Thanks for the almond butter tip!

I'm a deep end jumper when it comes to this stuff although I'm a big baby if asked to literally jump into a pool or off a rope into the lake or something. Never had the nerve for that (not a strong swimmer but I will paddle around at my own speed and happily so)... but I digress.

My LLMD never talks the supplements since he wants to get a baseline reaction, even to several Lyme meds at once. Then he will remove one, switch, or back it down if things are too hard (they never have been to that point for me though, although I've herxed many times). He just smiles and says good, that says you're getting a reaction to the medication, this is good.

So, there's the other way of going at things which is peddle to the metal and backing down if conditions warrant.

Hmmm, these are some interesting analogies of how people approach life in general. Gives me some thinking to do

Any time you need this thread going, just post or send up a smoke signal - there's lots of us here to help. Am on my 6th week now.

StinkBug

Posts: 83 | From Colton, Oregon, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aliyalex,

Are you a patient of Dr. C?

I thought he prescribed Clindamycin/Quinine for Babesia. Have you tried that combo? I didn't know he prescribed artemisinin.

My kids (18 & 14) started IV on May 20th and are having extreme sweating again. They have an appointment with Dr. C on June 20th and I wanted to discuss retreating them for co-infections. So, I'm curious what he prescribes now.

(My kids have been ill for 6 years and have been treated by LLMD's for 4 years. My husband and I recently tested positive for Lyme, so they may have been born with it.)

------------------

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Thanks Stinky for the perspective. I always lived my life, the pedal to the metal until this stopped the pedaling abruptly 18 years ago. I am trying to learn another way of being in this body. Patience, listening... I am a slow learner, that is why I ask for andneed support. So how are you doing on his color combo?

Pab: Dr C ordered zith and I asked if Ii could add mepron. He really doesn't have a problem with herbs, but I would have to say that I brought it up. He is really good at working with us, I am seeing. I had gotten those graphic pictures of babesia in my blood from Bowen last week, so I wanted to add an anti-malaria med. Qu and c is on my list, but I didn't want to wait. Good luch with your children. I would love to hear how they are doing. And you and your husband. Do you 2 have sx?

mimi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mimi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey ya'll I will be starting the combo June 30 I will keep checking all of the experiences ya'll share and will be able to relate to everyone in July. Best wishes to all of you
Posts: 343 | From usa | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aliyalex,

It's too early to tell how the IV Claforan is working. Jordan does have improvement in some symptoms. (Both have tried many oral antibiotics.)

My symptoms are daily headaches, neck/shoulder pain, insomnia, sinus infections (or feels like sinus infections). I'm on Zithromax right now.

My husband's symptoms are headaches, shoulder pain, aches & pains and fatigue. He is on Ceftin right now.

My kids were diagnosed in August of 2001. They were treated by Dr. Jones for 3 years and have been treated by Dr. C for 1 year. They are hard to treat and we are hoping the IV with help.

They did the heparin (sublingual) treatment and it didn't help. They have hormone deficiencies and are being treated for them.

I think both have high intracranial pressure and that is one of the causes of the symptoms. Jordan had an angiogram/venogram done last week and his cerebral venous pressure is high.

If they get better on IV, I'll be sure to let everyone know!

------------------

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all --

I've been on the Meth/Zith for about 6 weeks now.

My LLMD really believes that slow & steady wins the race.

I take 1 zith a day --- but my starting dose was just 1 DROP of Mepron. After a couple of days, I upped it to 2 drops, then 3. And then...BAM! I was herxing like crazy!

So - I backed down to 2 drops - and then eventually went back up to 3 drops.

I then went to see my LLMD and he told me I was herxing too much - to take a 3 day abx vacation (I took 5 days -- I needed it!) and then to start back up with just 1 drop of the Mepron again.

I don't know how you guys/gals are taking teaspons of this liquid gold puke maker -- I really don't! I think I'd have to go to the hospital...and then they'd try to kill me like they always do --- so I'm just staying on that 1 drop for the next few weeks as my LLMD is on vacation out of the country.

It's weird - but I feel really good. I'm not used to this!

I'll be happy to be a buddy - but I'm not on the Artemisin (yet).

Blessings,

------------------
DR. Wiseass - not a real doc - just a real wise ass.
www.twistoflyme.blogspot.com

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Mimi:

Can't help but notice "Y'all" are from the south.

aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

I notice that I am worried about having a herx rxn and worried about not having a herx. (Maybe I should stop worrying.)

Yesterday I took 250 mg of zith and 2 tsps of mepron. Today I was very tired. Didn't even go to PT. I thought I read that people often herx on day...I forget. I had it yesterday, but like much of my memory, it's gone.

I'm going to search mepron buddies again... Maybe I can do a search for my memory.

HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 10 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on Biaxin 500 3x / mepron 2 teasp / plaquenil 250 2x / artiminsin 2x

Biaxin is in the zith antibiotics family my LLMD told me.

I've been waiting for the herx. It's been 2 weeks that I started the mepron. I haven't had anything really major happen yet. Some people feel like they are dieing.

I just hope it's working..........

Heather

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mountaingirl
Member # 7304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mountaingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm doing the mep/zith/art combo. I got a tip that almonds, and almond butter make it harder to absorb fat, which is odd. If you do a little research you can read about it yourself. Since we have to take fat with the mepron, try olive oil (9 grams in 1 tsp) or something called MCT oil which i have read helps with fat absorption.

mt gal

[This message has been edited by mountaingirl (edited 09 June 2005).]

Posts: 34 | From Colorado | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey..

What about meeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

Thanks for waiting gang! Geeze!

I will be joining ya'll real soon.. I think. Gotta see how the doxy does.. then back to the liquid gold.

Hey Mountain Girl...

OLIVE OIL? YULK!

Didn't they tell you? If you have to be on Mepron.. and since it costs so much and can give kick butt herxes...

We get to have the fatty meal of OUR choice to take with it!

Soooooooooooo...

Bacon in the morning..

Ice cream at night.

Yo ho Mepron. I think I LOVE you!

------------------
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance...

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

OK, since we are on the subject, I realize that I have been taking it with Cream Top Yoghurt and pears. I imagine the mepron renders the yoghurt useless as a probiotic, is this true?

Maybe the olive oil makes more sense. I did buy some yoghurt covered raisins as a splurge. (crazy aren't I.) OK, scratch the almond butter.

This is day 3 on the combo and I woke up last night with my legs twitching. This is not a new sx, but I had noticed that it hadn't been happening. Feel some depression and fatigue creeping in, too.

I am going to see if the Search feature works today. It didn't yesterday.

aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

OK. I searched...and I found. Mepron is OK with yoghurt.

Can't seem to find the original mepron buddies post, just redux. Very informative.

trailsgrl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7285

Icon 6 posted      Profile for trailsgrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI, thought I should repost this stuff here for you ladies! (are there any guys among us?) Here are some threads about mepron herxing and just plain bad herxing. Including my own mepron herx. YUCK! http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/024316.html http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/024585.html http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/024918.html http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/027306.html
-- http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/034330.html http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/034549.html http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/034570.html

Have FUN , be easy on those eyes gals!
Trails

Posts: 196 | From Mesilla, NM USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 14 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Trails! I was reading your posts in my Searching. Very helpful. Someone even went back and added an addendum about progress in a retro perspective.

Very helpful.

HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 10 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for updates. Nothing new for me. Seem to be doing ok.

I go to the LLMD on the 11th. I wonder if he'll keep me on mepron? Or maybe I'll start to herx in his office......... Hee hee.

I know I know not funny.

Heather

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Heatherkiss, you must mean the 11th of July. Well, there still is time to feel like ****. (Isn't that ironic? We want to feell ****tier to feel better.) OK. Whatever it takes.

I added artemisinin. A few sweats. Is this a HERX? Other than that I feel no difference. This is day 7.

Anyone else?

aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Up for more buddying...
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Ali:

My fevers/chills increased when I added Artimisinin into the mix. But, my MD and I didn't add art in until after I went through my first Mepron herx. I recall the Mepron herx being very intense and the art made it worse for a while.

I am off Mepron now but still on Artemisinin. I take it 3 weeks on, one off, as recommended by the manufacturer. I can always tell when I start it up again after a week off. I sweat.

Bc

aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

BC, do you remember when your meprin herx happened?
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Ali:

I remember that I started to feel better within 4 days of starting Mepron. Then, about 3 weeks later I started to feel like I was on the Titanic. I don't have my symptom journal in front of me but, I think I went through Mepron hell for 2 straight months after the initial herx hit. I was rocking and rolling - not able to drive.

I think it was about the 3rd month that I got some really good days. By the 8th month I was back to jogging, cycling and swimming.

It took a while and, I had some pretty intense herxes (always at the full moon). But, I think it worked. Only been off since mid-April. So, we'll see how effective it was.

Hope this helps.

Bc

DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beachcomber!

Jogging, cycling & swimming? How do you do that? I mean @#$% !! I'm afraid to even skip to my bathroom - afraid I might just drop dead from using too much energy!!

I'm assuming you've been on therapy for awhile and are feeling much better? I will remember this as a sign of hope that one day too I'll have enough ENERGY to jog, cycle & swim - altho I've actually never had the slightest desire to jog or cycle as it causes me to sweat. I don't like to sweat.

Of course, since I've got Babs I sweat all the @#$%ing time - even while sitting in front of this fan that I have to sit with blowing towards my laptop, as apparently it can't sweat - so it likes to overheat & shut off without warning. I digress.

Anyway, I don't have the energy or skills to swim very far - but I think, in light of this @#$% Texas heat, that I shall put my fat girl swimsuit on & go float on cool water for awhile!

And I still can't believe you guys/gals are taking TEASPOONS of the Mepron. You're stronger women/men than me. I'm still on 1 drop - but the herxing ain't bad - so I'm not complaining.

Blessings,

------------------
DR. Wiseass - not a real doc - just a real wise ass.
www.twistoflyme.blogspot.com

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Hey, Doc:

I should probably put into perspective my current athletic endeavors.

I used to cycle from 7 to 20 miles every morning before work in good weather. I could swim a mile. I hate running but could manage 3 miles. I also played tennis, montain climbed, etc.

Lyme Disease had me flat on the couch for at least a year. After 2-1/2 years of abx treatment I am now able to cycle 4 miles MAX., swim 10 laps, and jog 1.2 miles. That is it! And, I can only do one a day, if that. There are still many days that I cannot get off my arse to do a simple sit-up.

What kept me from completely falling apart was doing yoga throughout my treatment, even the worst of it. I would stretch through the pain and dizziness. I WAS an athlete. I am now the person no-one asks to cycle or run with. My teenage nephews are the only ones who tolerate my slow pace. They plug into their I-pods and endure & encourage.

Hey girl, you've got to sweat! Think of all that junk your body will expel. I know it isn't sexy but it looks good in those Nike ads. So, go for it.

Bc

vandeb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vandeb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ali. Hope you're beginning to feel the effects of the mepron/zith. I'll be starting my 3rd round of the combo this week.

I've taken it twice before with flagyl in between the 5 weeks of mepron/zith. I usually wait about 3-4 days after the m/z is gone to start the flagyl.

The first time I took the combo it took about a week then knocked me on my butt. I was slowly building up to 1 tsp. mepron twice a day and 1 zith.

I still have herxing when I start taking it but the results farther down the road are very promising. Every time I finish it I feel a little difference over all.

So a little difference over and over is adding to a lot in due time. I'm beginning to do a few things I couldn't do 9 months ago.

Just to sweep the house or clean the bathroom is something that I couldn't do but can now. I've taken tons of abx. over the course of 2 years.

I too believe in starting everything slowly as my LLMD recommends. When the herxing starts it doesn't seem as bad as throwing your whole body in shock (which I've done several times) with too much the first time around.

I hope this helps and encourages you to continue trying the combo and see what happens for you. Sometimes it takes a little at a time to realize we're improving even a tiny bit after every dose.

Be sure to take your nystatin too. Hope in the long run you can see this process is working for you. God bless you.

------------------
Debbie V.

Posts: 125 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beachy hair brusher,

Reading that post gives me hope too!

Did you compete in triathlons too? The 3 sports combo made me think maybe you did?

I quit smoking almost 2 yrs ago and last December (a year after 2 non-lyme surgeries)finished my first sprint tri in good time within my age group.

Now I can barely swim a length at the pool, dont even DREAM of jogging and havent cycled since that day. Mostly due to nerve pain in the shoulder area. And fear that it will return if agitated.

How would you say your body adjusted? I mean, two things....first physically....did you gain a lot of weight? I have put on 10 pounds since the tri. It is incredibly depressing! I dont eat more, it is just when you go from being active to sedentary you gain weight and this is truly a huge obstacle for me. How did you deal with that?

Secondly, how did you deal with the emotional aspects of not being able to really move along like you used to? I am having a hard time being gentle with myself, although I will hand out that advice all over the place.

Would like to know alittle more about your journey.

I have gotten the green light from 2 LLMDs to NOT continue taking Mepron/zith until I have moved to CA and have settled in. I will have been off all meds for 3 months by then. They say I am at low risk of developing resistant babs given my short (4week) initial course of mepron/zith.

I feel okay with this given my severe herx and the fact that OFF the meds I seem to be pretty steady and not getting worse.

To all the yellow brick mepronners, keep up your chins ladies, you are an inspiration to us all!
Trails

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Well, it is day 10 and I am taking 2 tsp mepron, 500 mg zith and 200 mg artemisinin and I feel nothing. On my Bowen test I was the 2nd highest level of borrelia, and babesia present.

I am feeling despair about so little change. On the doxy and then the ceftin at least I had swollen glands all time.

I know people said they herxed after 3 or 4 weeks. I have to be patient. The fear devils can get pretty active.

On a good note, I feel less fatigue than I did a few months ago. So maybe I need to focus on that.

Any thoughts?

trails
Member # 1620

Icon 12 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thoughts? yes:

1) be careful what you wish for!

2) You are on some high doses of these meds, are you getting liver panels checked?

3) LLMDs say that if you herx right away, you had a superficial (meaning surface or not deep seeded) infection. If you herx at week 3 or 4 you have a deep seeded infection.

Now my head is empty
trails

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Trails. Thanks. #3 makes a lot of sense to me. I could have had this from childhood. I grew up on a lake in Pennsylvania, in the lake all day long. My knees used to ache in the back and my feet would burn so I couldn't sleep. I would put ice cubes on them and it didn't work. No telling how long I have had this. And the last tick I remember was 8 years ago, a deertick.

MS dx 2 years ago, after may years of docs and ducks wrinkling their foreheads at hearing my sx.

I had bloodwork yesterday, take milk thistle daily. Thanks for the reminder. I REALLY appreciate it.

trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO!!!

No milk thistle DURING Mepron/zith.

PLease do a searchin the threads here, That is the newest info. Didnt read it too carefully, but hasnt been too long ago that folks were discussing this.

Please find and read.

Trails

aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Jeez, I am glad I mentioned it. I will stop it immediately and read read read. Sould I SEARCH for milk thistle? That is what I will do. Thanks Trails.
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 4 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check it out...lowers mepron levels and increases Zith levels! Just exactly what you dont want! My LLMD said Mepron was actually formulated to be liver safe for babies with AIDS so it isnt harsh on the liver. It is the ZITH that is super hard on the liver and then when you put in THIS info, that milk thistle increases the levels holy smokes! Doing the oposite of what you wanted-eh?

Robi's LLMD suggested taking Milk thislte at lunch and mepron/zith with breakfast and dinner. Perosnally I dont think I'd take it at all, but I am not a doc.

Below I copied the info from this website:
http://www.catie.ca/supple-e.nsf/0/7b09aa55a412896c85256c6e0070bf60?OpenDocument

2. Milk thistle and other medications
Below is a short list of some other medications that are processed through the CYP3A4 enzyme. Based on the effect of milk thistle on liver enzymes in the lab, it is possible that levels of these medications may increase if taken by people who are also using milk thistle. This list is not exhaustive:

* methadone
* heart drugs - Tambocor (flecainide), Rythmol (propafenone)
* antibiotics - erythromycin, rifampin
* anti-seizure drugs - carbamazepine (Tegretol)
* antidepressants - Zyban/Wellbutrin (bupropion), Paxil (paroxetine), Prozac (fluoxetine), Luvox (fluvoxetine). Serzone (nefazodone), Zoloft (sertraline), Effexor (venlafaxine)
* St. John's wort
* antihistamines - Hismanal (astemizole), Seldane (terfenadine)
* antifungals - itraconazole (Sporanox), ketoconazole (Nizoral)
* gastrointestinal motility agents - Prepulsid (Cisapride)
* ergot drugs - Ergonovine, Ergomar (ergotamine)
* anti-psychotics - Clozaril (clozapine), Orap (pimozide)
* sedatives/sleeping pills - Ambien (zolpidem), Halcion (triazolam), Versed (midazolam)
* erectile dysfunction drugs - Viagra (sildenafil)
* street drugs - ecstasy (MDMA)
* lipid-lowering drugs (statins) - Lescol (fluvastatin), Mevacor (lovastatin), Pravachol (pravastatin), Zocor (simvastatin)
* transplant drugs - cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune), ProGraf (tacrolimus)

Milk thistle also has the potential to lower levels of the following drugs in the blood:

* anti-parasite drugs - Mepron (atovaquone)
* sedatives/sleeping pills - Ativan (lorazepam)
* hormones - estrogen

aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Thanks. No more milk thistle, I searched and found that entry. It is good for it to be here, too for other buddies.
StinkBug
Member # 5191

Icon 7 posted      Profile for StinkBug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy crow! Thanks. I've been taking 3 milk thistle a day with my Mepron/Zithro. No CoQ10 either, Burrascano's protocol says nope.

Dang.

Anyways, week 8 for me. 2 Zithro day, and 2 yummy tasty teaspoons of the Golden Nuke. We're supposed to do 3 weeks artemesia (for those who are taking it) and one week off. Take on empty stomach with grapefruit juice if you can. I'm going back on that today.

Am feeling, overall, MUCH improved. Hell of a herx early on... almost took me out. People reminded me "it's the Mepron talking" - it can cause deep depression.

Pain is still present in my feet and hands. Brain and memory are clearing. Am able to run up the stairs some days. It's really working.

I have another 3 weeks to go and then will either do one more round or go on Flagyl/Ketek for a while.

And I was ready for I.V. before this.

Keep it up, and thanks for starting this thread. It's heartening to hear the success stories.

Trails... glad you got your old name back

Be well everyone,
StinkBug

Posts: 83 | From Colton, Oregon, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Trails:

Although I do the tri sports I have never competed in a triathlon. I did, however, do a cycle on part of the Tour de France Alpines route back in 98 for 10 days. It was sheer torture on the hills. That was pretty much the last big athletic endeavor I managed before my body started to deteriorate.

Yes, I put on tons of weight as my body steadily slowed down and the joint pains became constant. I still exercised religiously every day. Then, I crashed big time. My body simply went into shock and I could no longer function at the same level.

I started abx in late 2002 and tried to exercise but, with a PICC line I was limited. So, I got into Ashtanga Yoga. My MDs and nurses begged me endlessly to Slow down and just rest. I never really did until I stopped getting better. I had a missed co-infection, Babs, and Systemic Candida. By February of 2004 I was simply unable to walk. I dropped 50 lbs and my muscles atrophied. It was the most depressing time for me. I tried to stretch and do yoga every day, even if from the couch.

Bottom line is, I never really stopped moving, even if it was a figment of my imagination. I disagreed with my health care providers that I needed to stay still. I firmly believe that exercise and a good diet kept the Lyme at bay for 12 years. I also believe that movement is the best way to oxygenate the blood.

I am by no means well yet. I am at 50% better. I have a long way to go. But, I competed in my first 5K in years on May 1st and finished - not fast, but I finished. Could not move for 2 days after. I told my MD and he FINALLY said that it is ok for me to exercise because he sees that it keeps me in a better place mentally. When I feel a herx coming on, I run or cycle until I am sweating and aching. It is the only thing that takes my mind off of the pain. The endorphins work like a pain Rx for me. I have never filled the Rx for pain meds. I will say though that I have had to stop in the meiddle of a run to vomit from the dizziness so, I am not recommending this for anybody else. Everyone has to listen to his or her own body and to know her limitations. For instance, I cycled at 5:30 this AM because I am afraid to be in traffic, in case I fall - I'm still a little unsteady.

So, that's my story. I understand where you are. If you can muster up the energy (it's mental) to move then do it. I think, in your case, it will help you get through this menacing illness.

I can't reiterate enough that I am not saying everybody should do what I do. It is just what works for me right now. It's that or going back on anti-depressants, which I hated being on for several months.

Hope this helps. Hang in there, Trails.

Bc

trails
Member # 1620

Icon 14 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks BC!

I really appreciate the time and energy you put into that post. I think it may help others who are depressed about execise too.

I know I couldnt push myself as you do. It is not my style. But I have loved Yoga for many years and maybe in CA there will be a good practicing group for me to get into.

I would like to respond more fully, but I am afraid we are off topic-eh? So if I get the urge, I may post a new topic about exercise. Thanks again for the encouragement. ANd much luck to you and your 5am bike rides! Last summer I was getting up that early to ride too, but it was the impending heat, not the traffic that got my butt outa bed that early.

Trails

beachcomber
Member # 5320

You are welcome.

Everything is "on topic" with Lymies - we can't focus so straying is par for the course.

Think I'll watch Shark Tale tonight. That's about the level of mental concentration I can handle on a cool Friday evening.

Take care.

Bc

HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

I'm going to the LLMD on monday. I'm almost out of mepron. Enough to get me to monday.

Apparently I've been taking heaping teaspoons and this bottle has lasted me only 3 weeks instead of 4.

I've been feeling much better. Sleeping less and am becoming smarter. I think the fog is lifting. That or I'm growing a brain.

Still alittle tired but not that horrible fatique. By some miracle I worked 27 hours this week.

Still waiting for the herx........

Heather

HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 14 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for new updates
bethanie70
Member # 5439

Icon 7 posted      Profile for bethanie70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Aliyalex,

I'm not sure what you're topic really meant. At first I took it to mean that you were looking for friends to email with who were going through the same kind of treatments as you are. Then I read all the many, many replies without a word in that direction. (Although all were fine replies) So now I am not sure.

If you are looking for an e-pal, I'd love to email with you. I took Artimisinin Dec-early April. Then I started Mepron and Zithromax and will continue until August.

Anyway, email me or respond here if you are interested in supporting each other in a more personal way.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. It contains a lot of valuable info!

Take care,
Beth
[email protected]

Posts: 72 | From California | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Yes, thanks for the support. Support is good. I am on day 12 with this combo and nothing. I have more energy, but that happened when I took the ceftin.

Trails made a good point, that it could be deep seeded and might herx later on. I am at high level of lyme and babs present, so I would expect something. How has your experience been?

HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 12 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well or getting better.

Soooo......... went to my appt w/ Dr. S in H, NJ today. I've been feeling really much better this week. I'm starting my 4th week of Mepron. Had to get a refill because I used it up in 3 weeks instead of 4.

Walked in and said,"more mepron please." He seemed very happy that I was feeling better. I really really like Dr. S. It's almost like he reads my mind. I told him I was worried about herxing. He said it might not happen. I might just feel better and better. I'm into optimistic thinking today at least.

Best case scenario 4-6 months of mepron. Worst case 1-4 years.

Told ya it was boring!
Heather

P.S. I lost 1 pound. When does the mepron / babs anerexia kick in!!!!!!! I need to lose 50lbs.

HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 12 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posted 2x. Ooopsy!

[This message has been edited by HEATHERKISS (edited 21 June 2005).]

HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 14 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,

I'm really achey today and couldn't go to work. I'm super confused and my thoughts are jumbled.

H

trails
Member # 1620

Heather, 2 questions for you:

1) Why did you stop the photos? It was keeping me smiling.

2) Where are the ticks on the jersey shore? By this I mean, if one was to be in OC and have a house on the beach....how could one prevent getting a tick bite? I may be visiting my folks beach house later this year and this is VERY scary for my paranoid heiny.

Two years ago we went on a "nature" trail in cape may. I wore long pants and tucked em in and did a check and EVERYTHING and in the middle of the night I freakin found I TICK crawling in my bed!!!

I will never go to cape may again. But, if one stays on the sidewalk and on the boardwalk and on the sand, you think I'm safe?

Just wondering since you are from NJ.

Hope your brain is lesssss foggy soon. COuld this be what we've all been waiting for?
Trails

HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Hi trails,

Noone ever mentioned the pics. I just thought everyone was being polite. I like them too.

Ticks are everywhere. Birds carry them everywhere. Although I've never heard of anyone being bit on the beach or the boardwalk. You should feel safe on the shoreline.

Mostly people get bit on trails, in the woods, pine barrens, marshes and camping. Where there is alot of wilderness.

Well it's official I'm totally herxing at 3 1/2 weeks. It really started around 2 in the morning.

ralphing
headache
body aches
dizzy
nausea
feeling like a mac truck hit me

really vivid dreams (screwing with my head)
bottoms(Heals)of my feet hurt

I'm sure there is more...
Ouch!

trails
Member # 1620

Congrats on the herxing!!

This means that you have a deep seeded infection. (so says my LLMD) If you herx this far into taking meds. Not great news, but good news that the meds are working-eh?

Are you taking epsom salts baths? Even in this heat, I would.

Herx on sister!

HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herxing has mostly subsided. C'mon and join the club!!!!
marblenose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6477

Icon 12 posted      Profile for marblenose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I am the newest member. Just took Mepron for the first time. I figured I would take the zitho at dinner then pb8's at bedtime. Any thoughts?
I started the duralgesic patch 2 days ago and feel a huge difference in pain level already. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel?
Blessings,
Marblenose

Posts: 287 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 5 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure but arent you supposed to take the zith and mepron at the same time?
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

What I had read is to take the zith on an empty stomach and mepron with 10 gms? of fat. So I take zith at 6 am and 2 hours later the mepron with oils or peanut butter or cheese and my heparin injections. I take the artemesinin after meals BID.

I take the probiotics and vits/antioxidants at noon.

OK?

trails
Member # 1620

Icon 14 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for new news and for newbies!

Trails

HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Holy Moley! I have been doing very well this week. I worked 4 days. It's a miracle! I LOVE MEPRON.

I thought people were crazy when they said,"I like the taste." or said, "I just poured it on my food."

Now I understand! It works..... It really works! LOVE LOVE LOVE MEPRON!

Heather

liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aliyalex--

I was just reading through your post and got to the part about how you used to be "pedal to the metal" before catching Lyme and babesia, and how now you are learning to live in a different body. If babesia is indeed your worst problem, especially if you have been sick for many years, there's two other side effects you should be aware of.

First, if you really are hitting your worst health problem, your cortisol and adrenaline levels may abruptly drop to where they should be when they aren't revved up. That's healthy, but it feels like you are floating through zero gravity in deep space--you will have to relearn how to take initiative, be energetic, and protect yourself from the usual nonsense people encounter on a daily basis. Lyme patients can get used to being on overdrive.

Also, there's bound to be a bit of an identity crisis if you get better all of a sudden. Don't let yourself slip back into being sick, just to feel like your normal self again. Just fill the huge, empty space in your life where Lyme and babesia used to be with little routines. Start with something small, like taking a walk every day, and build up to something wild like a career change or running for President.

Oh yeah, one other thing. I'm not sure if someone mentioned this yet, but be super-cautious of your depth perception. When I first started mepron, I almost walked into glass doors and walls many times, and almost put a cup of scalding coffee down on air instead of a glass table top, because I couldn't judge distance anymore. Also, I suddenly couldn't quite figure out stairs and street curbs. It might be wise to hold off on driving much until you get used to the mepron.

[This message has been edited by liz28 (edited 01 July 2005).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Husband was just diagnosed...I gave him the link.

I got to experience my first Mepron herx last November...now he is going through it.

He sat up in bed 5 times last week before starting treatment...waking me...asking me if I had felt this way...the way he was referring to was nightmares and then not being able to tell if he was awake or asleep.

Poor Guy...anyway hopefully he will join the club here.

Dr. WiseAss - I am so glad you are getting treated for Babs...Are the chest pains subsiding? Hang in there!

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Good morning, Buddies:

I am on day 8 of my second go around with Mepron. Am feeling pretty yucky but some of the Babs relapse symptoms are starting to abate already.

Liz give a pretty accurate description of just what it is like. I too hav been known to put my cup down on a non-existent surface. But, I'm a pro at this and know to look for the table. Don't lose hope, it does get better. My peripheral vision was non-exitent my first month or 2 on Mepron. And, the nightmeares were horrible.

But, hang in there all. I am so glad to be back on this dizzy ride because I know I am getting better while on it. Lots of what you are feeling is the med not the Babs. Mepron is weird science.

Went to a Lyme "expert" yesterday (Steere camp) who, predictably, said I was cured of Lyme after 3 - 6 months of abx. Couldn't really explain why I was still soooo sick after a 6 months of abx and a 5 month abx break. Babesiosis is about all we could sort of agree on (just barely). So, take care of this co-infection. Ride out the Mepron. Can't get better until you beat this. Just my opinion here.

Happy 4th.

Bc

proud pup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proud pup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

Getting ready to start this combo and have a couple questions....

I am just not able to do a good search on it right now but here are my ????

Do you take it together??

On or off an empty stomach??

She is started me with 600mg of Zith and 1 teaspoon twice a day.

I have done mepron before but not with zith.
I slept the best I had in years while taking it.

Not sure what the combo is going to do to me??

I liked the taste too.. My 13 year old daughter took 3 rounds of it and never complained.

Posts: 191 | From Eastern Shore. Maryland USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Pup:

You MUST need to be on meds if you like the taste of Mepron. I think you are very sick.

I too did Mepron without Zith for some time. It didn't seem to make any difference when the Zith was added in for me, except to upset my tummy. Am doing Mepron (sans a macrolide) now but with Artemisinin and Bicillin. Mepron is working.

Bc

liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trails--this is off the subject, but your smileys are wonderful.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

awww...thanks liz! I only do them when I am not rushed, but lately havent had much of a chance! I also like heather's pics. I am an artist and art teacher, so the visuals really help to break up the blah blah verbal.

Ya know?

Trails

Tnagel
Member # 7328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tnagel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello I would love to join the buddies group here I will be strating this combo tomorrow,I had a question- I ended my Doxy yesterday(5weeks and no herx except two days ago I felt things crawling in my legs) should I start this combo immediatly after this? Is it bad to have a day with nothing?
THX

Posts: 50 | From washington dc | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

People have skipped days or even weeks in between.

I've skipped a day. It's up to you and your LLMD. Sometimes you just need it. but if you are tolerating the meds.... then just keep taking them.

I get the creepy crawlys when I have too much sugar. Are you on the antiyeast diet? Not that I should ask that....... I'm bad, bad bad.

Hope I helped alittle.
Heather

Tnagel
Member # 7328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tnagel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Heather,
I am not great about the yeast especially visiting family for the 4th there was food everywhere!!!
Started the meds today
Looking forward to hearing how everyone is doing.

Posts: 50 | From washington dc | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

up for MIMI
mimi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mimi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heatherkiss Thanks for your response and getting this up for me! I have started my program of the yellow paint,biaxin,and clindamycin. I hope that all of you are doing well and I hope you will not be to upset with my newbie ?'s
Posts: 343 | From usa | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Hi everybody. Well, it is day 33 and I don't feel any better. Actually I feel weaker and more depressed - like "what's the point?" My muscles hurt in the night, my legs and torso feel more numb and weird to temperature.

Is this a herx or is my neuro stuff getting worse? I went to PT and she said I was weaker.

It is hard to stay positive, when I want to either have a temper tantrum or get really mad at myself.

My attitude was really good before I started zith/mepron. It seems that people's herx' didn't go on and on like this...and get worse. Or did they? Thanks.

ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, Daughter started out with Ketek the end of March, then added Mepron, she never did a "bad" herx, she did however get symptoms back that she had years earlier that we didn't know what was causing them. Athletic injuries is what the ducks said since she was a high level figure skater. The only thing different she has had since starting the Mepron about 2 months ago is BAD head pressure and ear pain..........is this an on going herx or die off? LLMD just started her on a weeks worth of prednizone to see if he can get her out of pain. She is also on injections of Rocephin. She says the Mepron doesn't taste bad, she likes it much better than the shots of Rocephin, that is for sure.

------------------
ICEY

IDAHO LYME SUPPORT GROUP
[email protected]

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 11 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope the steriods help the migrane pressure. Steriods are bad. If it doesn't work don't keep her on them.

Well I sure everyone will be thrilled w/ my new symptom........diarrhea! The worst I have ever had.

Continue on with your lovely days i got to go. NOW.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement