LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Antidepressant Withdrawal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antidepressant Withdrawal
Starphoenix
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2402

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oy. I've been taking antidepressants, sequentially and continuously, since 1996 for both Post-traumatic Stress Disorder due to an abuse history and "Organic Brain Syndrome Secondary To Lyme" (an official psychiatric diagnosis for me now). I was humming merrily along on Lexapro (an SSRI), at a low dose of 5 mgs. a day (I'm very sensitive to the effects of meds), but, lately, it was causing unmanageable side effects. I thought I might not need any antidepressant now; maybe I was getting better. I began tapering (hard to do with such a small pill). I cut it in half now, and I've been doing this for a week.

My psychiatrist knows, but I have to get some guidance from her. I've been having major withdrawal symptoms, both physical (things like nausea, chills, dizziness, sweating) and psychological (rages, crying bouts, severe anxiety). It is scary. I don't feel like I'm myself.

I hope I won't need a cross taper with another drug (like heroin addicts have with methadone). Maybe switching to another and tapering from that would be wise, but I have so many problems with these drugs. I fear I'd trade one nightmare for another.

I wonder if supplements would help me through this crisis.

I believe antidepressants actually cause your body to stop producing its own neurotransmitters. I may be wrong, but it sure feels that way!

Has anyone had this issue? How did you successfully get off the drugs?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

A Freaked-Out Steph

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See my response to the post -- In the psych ward again.

Hubby went through this and it took over 2 years to get him off all psychotropics and seizure meds.

Amino acids are the answer.

You are correct -- SSRI's taken long-term reduce the total supply of serotonin. You have probably heard the phrase "You can't beat a dead horse."

SSRI's do not replace the supply of serotonin -- they only keep it in circulation longer and the supply just keeps shrinking -- some serotonin is used up and less and less is being recirculated.

Very few psychiatrists know anything about amino acids or very little they will share with their patients because it would put them out of business if they weren't needed to prescribe pills anymore.

A nutritionally oriented doctor can test your neurotransmitter levels and amino acid levels and design a supplement program specific to you.

5HTP and l-theanine may help but you need to be tested because supplementing with the wrong thing could make your problems worse instead of better.

Best wishes

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey girl. All the best minds say --- taper slowly. Really slowly. And abx can affect SSRI levels (making them much higher).

Here are some links that might help:
http://www.prozactruth.com/lexapro.htm
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/031168.html

Best of luck. And you ARE getting better -- I can see it in the way you write. Hang in there.

[This message has been edited by minoucat (edited 27 July 2005).]

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desiree
Member # 7226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desiree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.drugawareness.org
Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Steph,

I want to thank you for posting about this, and thanks also to the many Lymenetters who recently posted about the seriousness of taking antidepressants.

It is scary how quickly antidepressants are being considered as a solution to a person's depression. (That said, I would not begin to judge whether or not it was appropriate in your situation, or anyone else's.)

I think every patient should be told that these drugs are addictive, and physical illness (such as Lyme) should always be considered as a possible cause.

I can't imagine how complicated our lives would be if my son and I had to battle the side effects of antidepressant usage in addition to battling Lyme.

Instead, my son had suddenly gotten so much better after a year of antibiotics, that a doctor has taken the depression label out of the diagnosis only two months after other doctors had affirmed it.

In my own case, a doctor (who believes I have Lyme) wrote me a scrip for Prozac to relieve symptoms. Three weeks later, she saw such a change in me that she thought I was taking it. Nope -- I was just responding favorably to Mepron/Zith for babesia.

Thanks,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just do it slowly. I really ha a hard time tapering off of a similar med that was aimed at seratonin levels in the gut to help increase my appetite. It took me almost 3 months to fully come off that Rx.

My MD supported my decision but did warn me of the withdrawal symptoms. I felt terrible. I also felt depressed. That feeling has stayed. But, I do not want to go back on those kinds of meds. I think I am on enough already.

At some point we all really need to clean out our bodies and detox from all these meds. (That's just my opinion).

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much, folks, for your input, support, and links!

I wish I could afford to see a naturopath. I may not be able to buy much in the way of supplements. I am in financial duress.

My psychiatrist is a DO (Doctor of Osteopathy), and she follows holistic practices. Maybe she could advise me properly. I can't afford to see her right now because I have to pay up front, but maybe I can get the information I need through messages.

I know that serotonin receptors are in the gut, too. I'm glad you raised that issue, beachcomber. I think that's why I'm having nausea and intestinal pains, too.

Muddling through. And I start college in about a month (going back to school, at the ripe age of almost 38, for nursing).

Steph

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star,
Hi! Sorry to hear that you are having such a hard withdrawing from lexapro. I guess I was pretty lucky and had no problems many, many months ago. I, too, was taking five mil. a day and not cutting them in half, but taking them every other day.

Unfortunately, I am back on them again. I know the Wellbutrin XL does wonders for my concentration. People are prescribed it for ADHL and it really helps. I am also taking Lexapro 5 mil. I know that the two of these drugs are really helping a lot. It is so important for me to be able to function at work. The antibiotics have not helped recently. I plateaued (sp?) Now I am on a new mix and it is too early to tell.

Anyway, it's not about me, but you!!! I feel for you. I am also very proud and excited that you are following your dream to get a medical education. Great!!!!!

This transition will pass and you will be on your way!!!

Yeah, team!!

Best,
hopeful123

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star,

Auntybiotic's daughter has been having a tough time with this. If you look up Aunty's posts from this year, you should be able to get some helpful information.

Best wishes,

Sue

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
auntybiotic1499
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for auntybiotic1499   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star,

You are tapering way too fast. When you have been on antidepresants SSRI's for longer than 3 months you must taper by only 5 to 10% and stay at that dose for a minimum of three weeks.

If you were on 5 Mg that would mean you would taper by no more than 1/2 Mg. which is 10%............you tapered by 50%, from 5 to 2 1/2 Mg.

The neurotransmitters in the brain need time to adapt to the change in serotonin levels. You may even get the zaps which are misfirings in the neurotransmitters in the brain causing electric like shocks and tingling in the extremeties.

You may also notice nightmares, severe fatigue, sleeplessness, stomach cramps,sinus congestion, dizziness and depersonalization. These are common Lexapro withdrawal symptoms.

You may want to look into Bach Flower Essences. For hopelessness and anxiety and mood swings,the one for these symptoms is White Chestnut, (They are available online or at health food stores.)4 drops sublingually four times a day for two weeks.

If you get to where you may feel like harming yourself or others, try Cherry Plum Bach Flower Essence.

Lexapro is becomiing known as THE WORST antidepressant to withdrawal from........even more difficult then Paxil which held this title. You must be very careful with tapering any SSRI.

Have your blood levels checked because Lexapro is also known for affecting glucose levels. if you find hat you are having bouts of low blood sugar, try walnuts as a snack throuout the day.

You may also want to have your paulse checked regularly because Lexapro use has affected blood pressure and pulse levels. Some have resting pulse levels over 100.

Lexapro comes in liquid form to make the tapering by 1/2 Mg possible using a 1 Mg syringe that measures by .01 Mg.Just measure your dose and taper down.

It has taken us 6 months to reduce lexapro only by 40% dosage but if the taper is too fast psychosis can set in.

What antibiotics and other meds are you on.

Lexapro cannot be taken with Biaxin, Erothromycin, Diflcuan, Xanax, Valium, Advil, Tagamet, Claritin D, Milk Thistle and MANY others as it is affected by the cytochrome P 450 system. These drugs INSREASE serum levels of the lexapro.

The above drugs RAISE the levels of the lexapro sometimes causing Serotonin Syndrome.When this happens symptoms can be mania like reactions, sweating, chills, muscle spasms. This is very serious so medication interaction with Lexapro should not be taken lightly.

What medications are you on, I will gladly look them up on my Flockhart P 450 Drug Interaction Chart.

Please ask me any other questions as I have had the exact same problems.
aunt y

Posts: 677 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
auntybiotic1499
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for auntybiotic1499   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star,

You are tapering way too fast. When you have been on antidepresants SSRI's for longer than 3 months you must taper by only 5 to 10% and stay at that dose for a minimum of three weeks.

If you were on 5 Mg that would mean you would taper by no more than 1/2 Mg. which is 10%............you tapered by 50%, from 5 to 2 1/2 Mg.

The neurotransmitters in the brain need time to adapt to the change in serotonin levels. You may even get the zaps which are misfirings in the neurotransmitters in the brain causing electric like shocks and tingling in the extremeties.

You may also notice nightmares, severe fatigue, sleeplessness, stomach cramps,sinus congestion, dizziness and depersonalization. These are common Lexapro withdrawal symptoms.

You may want to look into Bach Flower Essences. For hopelessness and anxiety and mood swings,the one for these symptoms is White Chestnut, (They are available online or at health food stores.)4 drops sublingually four times a day for two weeks.

If you get to where you may feel like harming yourself or others, try Cherry Plum Bach Flower Essence.

Lexapro is becomiing known as THE WORST antidepressant to withdrawal from........even more difficult then Paxil which held this title. You must be very careful with tapering any SSRI.

Have your blood levels checked because Lexapro is also known for affecting glucose levels. if you find hat you are having bouts of low blood sugar, try walnuts as a snack throuout the day.

You may also want to have your paulse checked regularly because Lexapro use has affected blood pressure and pulse levels. Some have resting pulse levels over 100.

Lexapro comes in liquid form to make the tapering by 1/2 Mg possible using a 1 Mg syringe that measures by .01 Mg.Just measure your dose and taper down.

It has taken us 6 months to reduce lexapro only by 40% dosage but if the taper is too fast psychosis can set in.

What antibiotics and other meds are you on.

Lexapro cannot be taken with Biaxin, Erothromycin, Diflcuan, Xanax, Valium, Advil, Tagamet, Claritin D, Milk Thistle and MANY others as it is affected by the cytochrome P 450 system. These drugs INSREASE serum levels of the lexapro.

The above drugs RAISE the levels of the lexapro sometimes causing Serotonin Syndrome.When this happens symptoms can be mania like reactions, sweating, chills, muscle spasms. This is very serious so medication interaction with Lexapro should not be taken lightly.

What medications are you on, I will gladly look them up on my Flockhart P 450 Drug Interaction Chart.

Please ask me any other questions as I have had the exact same problems.
aunt y

Posts: 677 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You people are swell!

Hopeful: I posted to you on General Support, asking if you'd send my your email addy. I lost it when the computer when flooey! I'd like to catch up with you, and I may need a new doc soon. I'm considering Dr. H.

I'm glad you have a regimen that is helping you! I may ask about the Wellbutrin. That is one I haven't tried, and I have trouble concentrating. Not good for school and work!

Aunty: Thank you for your vast wealth of knowledge! It's much appreciated.

I wish I could get that Lexapro liquid. I am in poor financial straits, and I get the pills for free. They are samples from my psychiatrist. I will ask about the liquid, but I doubt I can get it. I may need a cross taper with another drug.

I'm only using a CSM (Questran) protocol right now. I also take Protonix for GERD and Armour Thyroid.

Thanks again!

Steph

auntybiotic1499
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2998

[This message has been edited by auntybiotic1499 (edited 27 July 2005).]

[This message has been edited by auntybiotic1499 (edited 28 July 2005).]

cigi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cigi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was cold turkeyed off of zoloft and then lexapro 10 mg. and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I was taken off due to a sodium problem that I couldn't tolerate it. I've been told you have to do it slow. Auntybiotic helped me so much with her info during this time.

Good luck
Cigi

Posts: 320 | From Upstate, NY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

My doc prescribed the liquid! It will still be expensive for me, but I will manage since I won't be taking it long term (just for tapering).

She approved this: 5 ml to start, and then down by a half a ml every five days.

Steph

auntybiotic1499
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2998

Steph,

Just so you know, it would take my daughter until day 7 after a taper to get the withdrawal effect. This may be confusing if you are tapering every five days.

My daughter would begin to notice the effects on day seven and they would last thru day 10 right up until day 14. She would then stabalize and I would give her a week before I statred the process again. This gives the neurotransmitters in her brain a chance to get use to the taper.

Keep this in mind. You still may be tapering too fast time wise. Five days may even be too soon for you to get the effect of the first taper. Please be cautiously aware of withdrawal effects with this schedule.

If you do have withdrawal effects such as moodiness, anxiety, nightmares, sweating, withdrawaling from people............you may want to wait until you stabilize before the next taper.( This would take an average of two weeks in my daughter's case). You can run this by your doctor.

We have been living this taper scenero the past several months and it has been like clockwork..........Taper..............on about the seventh day I will notice her headaches, stomach cramps, severe fatigue,moodiness etc. If the taper is TOO fast you may even get mania or restlessness.

Please e mail me if you have any questions. You are on the right rode with the liquid..........you may just have to alter your schedule somewhat............play it by ear.

The brain does need time to stabilize and readjust to the lower serotonin levels.I fear five days between tapers may not be enough...........but every case is different. I am speaking from my daughter's experience. Good Luck.
aunt y

[This message has been edited by auntybiotic1499 (edited 28 July 2005).]

Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Thanks so much, Aunty, for sharing what you've learned through your daughter's experience. I appreciate such sharing from the heart. You're a lovely person.

I will get the liquid today. In the meantime, I will take my full pill dose because the nausea, violent shaking, tachycardia, headache, and intense body pain has been unreal. I will heed your advice about the tapering. If five days isn't adequate, I will stretch it out longer. I'll inform my doctor.

I wish I didn't have to deal with this now what with nursing school starting next month and treatment changes for the Lyme in the works (what I'm doing now isn't working). I had to drop this Lexapro, though, because I was becoming too reactive. I think I WAS having some kind of improvement in my health! (I'm keeping fingers crossed.)

One day at a time, huh?

Steph

1tick3victims
Member # 7445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1tick3victims     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steph,
Sorry to hear that you are feeling so cruddy. Can't believe you will be going to nursing school while you are dealing with such lyme + other problems - it's admirable. I hope that you begin to feel better soon so that you can go after your goals.

Hope you don't mind me popping in and asking a question as well?

I've been on the antidepressant merry go-round for 20 years since my first depression due to lyme.

I've been on everything. I never had a psychiatrist taper me down off these meds except for one who had me off prozac within two weeks. Looking back - what a horrible experience. I never knew it was withdrawal I was experiencing. I always thought all of the symptoms were due to my illnesses.

I knew that my body reacted very badly to some. I was outright allergic to Serzone and felt like I had the flu on this one.

Anyone know much about Cymbalta? My dr. recommended this one for depression and because also known to help with pain.

I am on a lot of other meds and am trying to get off as many as possible to detox. Any knowledge of this med. would be helpful. Tx.

------------------
best regards and blessings,
paisley

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paisley:

Thanks for your kudos regarding my school plans. I don't know if I'm just crazy at this point! Actually, I had good reason to believe I'd feel better now, but with this and having been off active treatment for awhile (long story), I'm a mess.

I'm sorry you suffered through so much withdrawal in the past. Some docs just don't seem to realize the importance of a proper tapering.

I was allergic to Prozac. I never heard of anyone else allergic to an antidepressant. Interesting. I took Serzone, too, but after years, I had liver effects.

I've never heard of Cymbalta. You can do a web search. Many sites offer information about the drugs, including warnings and side effects.

Best of luck to you!

Steph

Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an update. Since the withdrawal is just getting so much worse, I decided to leave a message for my doc, telling her what I think is best. (I've learned to listen to my body.)

I will go back to my standard dose of the pills. When I feel stable, I will begin tapering. I will only taper down when I feel stable at each level, not at a blanket five days.

I have to do this sensibly.

Meanwhile, I feel like I'm going to pass out from my headache.

Love you people!

Steph

hodologica
Member # 6408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hodologica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good reservoir of pysch patient testimony is dr bobs psychobabble (google it), if anyones looking for one. I read a bit there about withdrawals. I have experienced withdrawals and many funky side effects during my attempt to palliate major depression which is my primary remaining symptom (other than exercise intolerance, swollen glands, yada yada). Heavy sedation and piss-poor cognition have been problematic side effects with amitryptiline, mirtazapine, and duloxetine - and also have been notable as withdrawal effects. I have started bupropion to counteract this, with good effects so far, but its only been 3 days.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cafe67
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey star! here is a website for ya.
http://www.mercola.com/fcgi/pf/2002/nov/2/depression_fish_oil.htm

My LLMD gsve it to me. When he found out I was on effexor. I wasn't depressed, but had symptoms which I know now are Lyme symptoms, but my GP put me on it anyway.

I've been too chicken to get off of it because to be honest I have been feeling better, but am 90% sure it's do to the abx and other treatment. I have noticed a lot less heart palptitations.

Unfortunately, around the same time I started Lyme treatment, my effexor kicked in at the 3 week ramp up period. So i am not sure which is helping what symptoms for sure.

FYI: I just found out that I was very very defficient in Vit D and B12, which is a known cause of depression and I am outside all the time.

It's a simple blood test, which you may be able to get done at a health clinic?

B12 is pretty cheap - although my LLMD says that the best cure is B-12 shots for 8 weeks which I think are pretty expensive if you have no insurance. But they do make you feel pretty good!

Hey, if you can taper off and get through it - I swear I will do it too! Keep me posted and good luck!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Cafe67: My psychiatrist mentioned fish oil, too. Unfortunately, I can't tolerate a sufficient level due to gastritis.

I want to clarify something. I didn't feel better overall, but I seemed to not need this antidepressant anymore. I was experiencing a kind of overdose effect, I guess. For instance, I developed severe insomnia.

My B-12 level is apparently fine.

I appreciate all tips!

Steph

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement