LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The MIRACLE SALT PIPE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The MIRACLE SALT PIPE
daystar1952
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this subject has been talked about yet but I ordered a Salt Pipe from th U.K. Here is the link before I forget http://www.thesaltpipe.co.uk/order.htm

I have chronic moderate asthma and have to use my albuterol inhaler at least 6 times in 24 hours. I have only had the salt pipe for 4 days now and have only had to use my medical inhaler 3 times. Twice I went 24 hours without using it at all.

The salt pipe is a ceramic pipe with a chamber inside which holds special salts that when we breathe the microparticles , it cleanes our entire respiratory system. It thins and loosens mucous and makes it easier to expell, the salt kills germs, it reduces edema in the respiratory tract and has several other beneficial qualities. The pipe lasts for 5 years when used 20 minutes a day. Many healthy people use it as a preventative , including athletes. Because it cleans the respiratory system, it helps counteract our polluted air.

Listening to the media hype about the bird flu this morning, I am also wondering if the Salt Pipe would be a preventative measure against any flu or cold? I think it came to 58 dollars plus shipping. I think it's worth every penny

Margie

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neti pot?

Sis swears by it.

Yes, sodium kills pathogens. Dr. Pierre Delbet figured this out long ago, but he determined Mg works even better.

Re: bird flu...

A worse virus is SARS...very fast lung problems. Look closely at what researchers have found out about that virus (although in mice only so far):

Penninger and colleagues report in Monday's issue of Nature Medicine that, working in mice, they found that angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) is a crucial receptor for the SARS virus.

The result is disruption of the body's protective renin-angiotensin system, leading to respiratory distress syndrome as fluids seep into the air sacks. The renin-angiotensin system uses enzymes to regulate sodium balance, fluid volume and blood pressure.

SARS was first identified in 2003, originating in China and spreading rapidly to Asia, Canada and elsewhere. It killed nearly 800 people and disrupted travel, economics and even some scientific meetings.

The researchers found that the SARS virus binds to the ACE2, Penninger said in a telephone interview.

If disabling ACE2 allowed lung damage to occur, the researchers wondered whether providing more of the enzyme would help. They created more ACE2 and infused it into the mice. The result was to protect mice from the lung failure effects of SARS.

It was effective in two ways, Penninger said.

First, ACE2 combined with the virus and prevented it from binding to normal cells. Also, the enzyme protected the mice from acute lung failure.

"We of course need to extend these findings in mice now to humans," Penninger said. "Yet in essence, SARS pointed us to a protein that may help millions of people affected with a previously untreatable disease."

Bb locks onto the HS - heparin sulfate receptor. Warfarin not only prevents this, but warfarin is capable of destroy Bb too. Unfortunately this drug does not come without significant dangers.

To block angiotensin II...INhibit HMG CoA reductase = Benicar (potential kidney problems) or Mg...lots.

Keep in mind though...respiratory acidosis and metabolic acidosis are NOT the same!

For status asthmaticus, Mg is given IV.

For organic pesticide poisoning (very toxic = acidic)...IV Mg, 4 GRAMS daily...for how many days? I don't know...the article didn't say...now where did I put that file?...

***There are a number of pathogens/diseases that follow the glycolysis-cholesterol pathway. So does cholera.***

Need you to think about why lyme research...from Italy and Romania... came out of cancer hospitals.

Need you to think about why lyme is being "ignored" re: research dollars.

In the 1970s in Germany, vets gave dogs with neuro babesia IV soda bicarb...and they recovered.

What? Natural things (without side effects) can work? Looks that way.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's the same basic principle as the neti pot...getting salt into the sinuses.....but the Salt Pipe is an inhaler and it's dry...no water used and it is very convienient and not messy and wet. I have a neti pot and sometimes it would make my nose stuffier . Other times it seemed to help. I love my salt pipe and eventually would like to sell them over here in the U.S. I think they are now basically only available in Europe
Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks interesting but I see one potential negative.

CLEANING is said to be done with just a damp cloth after each use. Im not sure I could put something in my mouth everyday for 5 years that only could be wiped with a damp cloth. Gives me the heeby jeebies.

The site says they take international orders for anyone interested.

Im going to have to remember to use my netti pot. Having one and remembering to use it are two different things.

Posts: 561 | From connecticut | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Daystar, Thanks for the info. I will share this with my M.D. and also my acc who has lyme and asthma. I'm wondering if it will help with 2nd smoke I have been exposed to by a rude neighbor smoker.

I have asked nicely if they could smoke away from my window as it is making me more ill. They became angry and defensive. I do not care if people smoke, but not where it will harm others.

If the pipe helps with polutants it should help me with my problem which has been going on 8 months. Thanks again for posting this. Joyce

Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Healing, read your post about smokers under your window. How rude.

Im assuming this is when the window is open that the smoke comes in. If Im right is it possible for you to install one of those window exhause fans?

That way it would blow the smoke right back at them instead of coming inside.

If you cant do that then a simple table top fan set close to the window should do the trick.

Posts: 561 | From connecticut | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tip. I have mild asthma also, and it's been getting worse, so I just ordered one. Hope it works for me.
Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

I also thought about the germ thing with using the pipe every day but salt is a natural disinfectant. I take a solution of Himalayan salt and water....27% and it really seems to give me more energy. The directions for making this solution ....sole(solay) says that you can just keep adding more salt rocks and more water forever and that it's totally sterile.

I'd love to hear the experiences of anyone who gets one of these devices. I have been so impressed with salt lamps, salt sole, Himalayan salt on my food, etc that these salt pipes have just clinched it for me and I would like to import some and sell them over here. I've been wanting to get involved with something that really helps people and so far......I cannot believe the results. I've been doing 20 minutes or so 3 times a day but I don't find it inconveinient...it's actually fun and relaxing...knowing it's natural and all and that it can even possibly prevent illness. I'm wondering if it would help prevent flus and colds

Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Sofy, They are right next door to me,and smoke right outside my door. Did wheather sp? brain fog. And after 8 mo after the manager being fired I am getting a new window. Yahooo! I have done the fan thing this summer, it cracked me,my friends and family up.

Laughter very healing. I am unable to go out my door or come up my steps if they are there. I have multiple chemical sensitives,like alot of us here have.

It stills comes in with windows open or shut. Lots of studies on this. Lots of info about 2nd smoke on no-smoke.org We are working on changeing ordinance in our town. We already have no smokeing on some of our beaches and downtown. There needs to be designated smokeing areas.

Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wallace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just ordered one. It can't do any harm!
What's the verdict?

Sunny thoughts,
Wallace

Posts: 654 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you be arrested for having drug paraphenalia around your house? In your car?

This salt pipe looks a lot like what you would use to smoke crack. I'd love trying to explain this to a police officer.

Just wondering....

Acorn

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wallace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
salt therapy

www.thesaltpipe.co.uk

WAllace

Scientia Press Home

---------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------

CTNM Preface

CTNM Theory of theRed Blood Cells

CTNM Conclusion

Findings

---------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------

Links

About Us

Contact Us
Halotherapy: Aerosol Salt Treatment of Respiratory Diseases

Halotherapy (HT, from Greek halos=salt) uses dry aerosol
microparticles of salt and, in one version, minerals to treat
respiratory diseases. HT seeks to replicate the conditions of
speleotherapy (from Greek speleos=cave), a treatment that has been
practiced in old salt mines of Eastern Europe since the early 19th
century.

Halotherapy belongs to the category of the physical therapies--non-
drug treatments of diseases, many associated with the spa treatments
of Eastern Europe. In the former Soviet Union, medical researchers
engaged in a concerted effort to develop physical therapies in order
to avoid the costs and side effects of drug therapy as well as
microbial and tumor resistance. Russia has become the world leader
in developing and testing new and increasingly effective physical
therapies.

Most of the dozens of clinical trials thus far, mainly reported in
Russian-language journals, have focussed on HT as a treatment of
asthma and chronic bronchitis. But HT may also be effective as a
main or adjuvant therapy across the entire range of upper and lower
respiratory tract diseases and potentially against systemic diseases
as well.

Respiratory diseases are a major cause of morbidity and mortality
worldwide. Asthma has become ever more prevalent in industrialized
societies, with special impact on children. Meanwhile, cigarette
smoking has spread chronic bronchitis and emphysema everywhere; in
developing countries biomass cooking smoke has a similar devastating
impact on women and children. The situation in especially bad in
China, with its 350 million smokers and terrible air pollution.

Most drug therapies of respiratory diseases have only palliative
effects, and many have significant side effects. So a physical
therapy like HT is much needed. HT's excellent action and modest
cost make it a very attractive kind of medicine.

Speleotherapy

It is likely that miners and others knew about the beneficial health
effects of the microclimate of salt mines for centuries before they
were first described in a book published by a Polish physician in
1843. Since then, the practice of bringing patients with respiratory
diseases down into salt mines for cures gradually spread throughout
Eastern Europe, and it has become a standard feature of spa
treatment there.

By its very nature, speleotherapy resists scientific norms. The
reported healing and invigorating effects of the microclimate of
salt mines are variously ascribed to the microparticles of salt
floating in the air, the temperature, the relative humidity, the
near or total absence of pathogens and allergens, the effects of
radiation from minerals, and the tranquillity of the setting. But it
is difficult to determine the relative influence of these factors,
and presumably some synergy exists. In addition, each chamber in
each mine has a distinct microclimate. Conducting clinical trials in
such conditions is not easy. Often speleotherapy has been combined
with other modalities. And many of the early clinical trial reports
lacked scientific rigor.

Speleotherapy also makes a great demand on patients' time. The mines
are not conveniently located for most people. The total cost is
fairly significant. Determining a specific dose and tracking long-
term effects of speleotherapy have proven very elusive goals.

Nonetheless, various clinical trial reports and the favorable
outcomes for many individual patients have led to growing scientific
attention and a devoted following for speleotherapy (for a sample
report, see Horvath, 1986). They also gave the Soviet (now Russian)
space agency the idea of developing microclimate optimization
devices for cosmonauts that would replicate the microclimates of
salt mines. Most of this work has been done in St. Petersburg, which
is now the location of the leading Russian HT company, Aeromed Ltd,
and of the Arsenal Design Bureau, which works on the salt + mineral
approach.

HT Devices

In the 1980s the Russians began to build halochambers that recreated
in clinics the microclimate of salt mines. These halochambers have
floors and walls lined with rock salt (halite). Patients sit in the
halochamber for an hour per session while music and pleasant videos
are played to create a relaxed mood. Halochambers are certified as
medical devices in Russia, are in use in Eastern Europe, and are
starting to spread to North America.

Another approach has been the desktop HT device, which has tubes for
breathing in the aerosol salt or simply fills the air with
microparticles of salt. Thus far no multimineral aerosol appears to
have been supplied this way, though halochambers have been lined
with silvinite, the rock from potash mines that contains about 60
percent sodium chloride, 35 percent potassium chloride, and 5
percent of other minerals. Pure halite is the precipitate from the
shores of ancient seas, while silvinite results from the evaporation
of a dead sea. Often a desktop HT device is used in combination with
a halochamber.

A ceramic salt pipe from Hungary represents a third approach. The
patient breathes in gently through the mouth, then exhales through
the nose.

A fourth, popular device is the rock crystal lamp (Pakistan) or salt
lamp (Poland), which is comprised of a largish piece of rock salt
with an attached light bulb that glows through the salt and whose
heat causes microparticles to become airborne.

Serious clinical studies have been done of the first two methods,
where the number of microparticles per cubic meter is monitored,
permitting accurate dose measurement. The ability to deliver a
specified dose represents a major advantage of halotherapy over
speleotherapy. Still, speleotherapy retains importance as a source
of scientific evidence regarding the as-yet not well-characterized,
multiple factors that deliver the therapeutic effect. Depending on
the conditions of a certain salt mine or cave, speleotherapy might
also prove more effective than halotherapy in a given case.

Parameters

Aerosolized microparticles larger than 10 microns in diameter are
caught in the upper airways and transported up and out of the
respiratory tract by the mucociliary system. In the range of 5-10
microns, they penetrate into the trachea and central bronchial area,
but no farther. Only below 5 microns do the microparticles penerate
deep into the lungs, though the larger microparticles have useful
effects in the upper respiratory tract. In the range of 0.1-2.5
microns--the same size as the most damaging microparticles from auto
and industrial pollution, and invisible to the human eye--the
microparticles of salt penetrate into every corner of the bronchi,
bronchioles, and alveoli and deposit upon the surface. Even though
the salt microparticles spread over an area in the alveoli roughly
the size of a tennis court, only a few milligrams of salt are
needed. So there need be no concern about the possibility of
excessive salt intake from halotherapy in the case of hypertensive
patients.

The extremely small size, relatively low amount, and slow dosing of
the microparticles also make them much less likely to provoke a
hyperreactive response in asthma patients than moist hypertonic
saline. The hygroscopic characteristics of moist particles make them
grow significantly during transit and therefore to deposit mainly in
the upper respiratory tract and in the central area of the trachea
and bronchi. Still, studies have shown that moist particles of salt
from hypertonic saline have beneficial effects in cystic fibrosis,
for instance, at least in the short term (Wark and McDonald, 2004).

A significant parameter for HT devices, therefore, is the fraction
of the microparticles produced that is below 2.5 microns.

According to many authors, maintaining a room temperature in the
vicinity of 18-24� C and a relative humidity around 50% can conduce
to better treatment outcomes. Devices can be set to emit different
amounts of salt microparticles-e.g., four levels from 1 to 16 mg/m�,
monitored by a microparticle counting device.

Another parameter of note is the negative electrical charge on the
particles, which has been measured at 6-10 nK/m� (Cervinskaya,
2002). It is argued that dry salt particles have higher surface
energy than moist ones and so have a more marked impact on the walls
of the airways. In addition, the negatively charged microparticles
repel each other, preventing clumping and ensuring very high
dispersal.

Many authors claim that the negative charges on the microparticles
(coupled with the radioactive emissions from potassium-40 and tiny
fractions of other elements in silvinite) create negative aeroions
that contribute to the beneficial effects of halotherapy. This is a
controversial subject; the scientific jury is still out, though the
weight of the evidence seems to favor those who argue that negative
aeroions do confer favorable biological results. Still, the effects
of negative aeroions are not required to explain the overall
effectiveness of HT, so perhaps it makes more sense for the time
being just to consider the possibility of a benefit from negative
aeroions as a potential free add-on to HT.

Mechanisms of Action

Halotherapy dehydrates microbial cells and impairs their albuminous
structure. Small particles of salt adhere to microbial bodies,
undergo hygroscopic growth, and precipitate. Via these and perhaps
other mechanisms, HT kills pathogenic microorganisms throughout the
respiratory tract (Chervinskaya and Zilber, 1995). American
researchers had found that H. influenzae and S. pneumoniae--two of
the main pathogens present in the respiratory tracts of chronic
bronchitis patients--are very sensitive to hypertonic salt (Rein and
Mandell, 1973).

In turn, the body's normal microflora repopulate the area, and the
removal of pathogens leads to a reduction in inflammation from the
immune response. The numbers of immune cells are normalized, while
both numbers and activation of alveolar macrophages increase. The
normalization in immune response explains much of HT's action in
treating asthma.

The deposition of microparticles of salt reduces the viscosity of
the mucus and restores the normal mucociliary transport that removes
mucus, pathogens, and debris from the airways. In some chronic
bronchitis patients, coughing becomes more frequent during the first
seven days of daily treatment. Large amounts of mobilized mucus that
had been blocking the bronchioles are expelled, whereupon the
patient experiences general improvement.

The relative absence of allergens and microbes in the air breathed
by patients during therapy presumably also contributes to improved
status via desensibilization.

Therapy with silvinite (potash) includes three further mechanisms,
though their relative importance is not clear:

the significant fraction of potassium and other electrolytes in
theory can optimize the electrolyte balance in the respiratory tract
and perhaps throughout the body;
the presence of a score of elements in tiny quantities permits the
body to use them to heal and restore itself, much in the matter of a
combination herbal therapy with hundreds of phytochemicals; and
radioactive emissions from K-40 and from some of the microelements
play a role in the healing process. Representing just 1 in 10,000
potassium ions, K-40 is nonetheless present to a more significant
extent in silvinite HT than, for instance, in a banana because
silvinite contains about 35% potassium. While the amount of
silvinite used in HT is just a few milligrams, the surface of the
lungs represents a much smaller target than the entire body. The
amounts of radiation in silvinite HT are relatively low and below
officially permitted levels. Still, they differentiate this approach
from the use of pure sodium chloride.
One could, of course, also add certain desired ions to the aerosol
mixture, perhaps copper or zinc or iodine, not to speak of aerosol
drugs. So one needs to think of halotherapy in general as comprising
an X (the effects of pure aerosolized halite/rock salt), a Y (the
effects of silvinite HT that go beyond those of X), and a Z (the
effects of added ions that go beyond X and Y). In theory, adding Y
and/or Z will provide a superior therapeutic outcome to that
achievable with X alone. It is easy to see how adding
more "medicine" might improve outcomes, but exactly how and to what
extent deserve careful investigation. Presumably, silvinite HT would
be useful for treating the more serious and intractable cases, as
well as for treating certain systemic disorders.

How HT might work against other indications is not well known. It
would seem that the microbicidal action of the salt microparticles
could make HT effective against lung infections in cystic fibrosis,
against tuberculosis, and against other respiratory infections.
However, HT is counterindicated in tuberculosis, according to the
Russian literature. No reason is given, but perhaps coughing
associated with HT could prove problematical in TB patients with
significant lesions in their lungs.

Side Effects and Counterindications

Halotherapy appears to have few side effects. Some patients
experience itchy skin in the halochamber. Too much aerosol salt can
cause conjunctivitis, so sensitive patients should keep their eyes
closed during treatment. Some patients feel a tickling in the
throat. 82% of patients in a silvinite clinical trial reported an
initial sedative effect (Rassulova et al., 2000). There has been no
report of such an effect in HT with pure sodium chloride.

Owing to the HT-induced drainage of accumulated mucus, many patients
experience an increase in coughing after several days of HT, and
some have dyspnea. The viscosity of their mucus samples increases,
as does the number of pathogenic microorganisms in them. These side
effects subside as the lungs are cleared of mucus. So it is
important to make a distinction between such Therapeutically
Essential Side Effects (TESEs) and other side effects, such as
occasional headaches at the onset of silvinite HT, which bear no
relationship to the healing action of the therapy.

The use of hypertonic saline quite frequently provokes a
hyperreactive response in asthma and chronic bronchitis patients,
but there is little evidence that such a response occurs with dry
salt microparticles in HT. One clinical trial specifically examined
the response to HT of patients in a state of exacerbation of their
chronic bronchitis and found that they did not show hyperreactivity.
However, other authors state that the acute stage of respiratory
diseases is a counterindication and that HT should not be used in
the third stage of chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder
(bronchitis and/or emphysema), in intoxication, in cardiac
insufficiency, in bleeding and spitting of blood, and in advanced
hypertension (Speleotherapy Clinic, 2004). It is possible that
simply lowering the dose in states of exacerbation can ensure that
there will be no hyperreactive response, while even at the lowered
dose HT can convey its benefits. Whether these benefits extend to
mitigating the exacerbation itself deserves further examination.

It is likely that in some cases HT has been underdosed--that more of
it would have led to better results for more patients (Borisenko et
al., 1994). This also implies that, when optimally dosed, HT may
prove more effective than it has thus been shown to be. Also, there
does not seem to be a single account of a patient who suffered from
an overdose. Halotherapy is typically provided in 10-20 daily
sessions of 60 minutes each. In some cases, results do not show up
until 2-3 months have passed, so follow-up monitoring is required
(Borisenko et al., 1994). Failure to wait to register such delayed
results may also have led to underreporting of successes.

In general, long-term follow-up can go far toward defining the
results of HT. For instance, HT may lengthen the intervals between
exacerbations in the year following treatment--a key indicator. More
study is required to pin down the existence and degree of such
improvement as well as the percentage of patients who experience it.
Also, of great importance is the impact of HT on the long-term
outcome of respiratory diseases, regarding which little evidence
currently exists.

In sum, we do not yet possess a well-defined, accepted list of
counterindications, though obviously practitioners need to exercise
caution in treating patients with exacerbations and with serious
complications, e.g., heart conditions.

Clinical Studies

The literature on speleotherapy and halotherapy now includes
approximately 75 articles, mainly reports of clinical trials. While
many of these--particularly on speleotherapy--lack validity because
of gaps in experimental design and inexplicable failures to report
crucial details, in recent years Russian and East European
researchers have employed increasingly sophisticated and
scientifically rigorous trial protocols and reporting techniques.
Still, further improvements in this area would contribute
significantly to gaining acceptance of HT outside of Russia and
Eastern Europe as well as to its optimal implementation in clinical
practice.

Three sample clinical studies can give a sense of HT's performance.

1. 124 patients aged 16-62 with various chronic lung diseases in
prolonged exacerbation (87-bronchial asthma; 26-chronic bronchitis;
6-bronchiectasis; 5-cystic fibrosis) were treated in a halochamber,
with the addition of music and a slide show (Chervinskaya and
Zilber, 1995). They received 12-25 daily sessions of one hour each.
15 control patients were given 10 daily sessions of music with slide
show in an ordinary room. Patients in both groups received various
unspecified amounts of corticosteroids and bronchodilators during
the halotherapy. All patients reported feeling better after HT. The
authors noted:

The clinical state of 85% pts with mild and moderate BA, 75% with
severe BA, 98% with chronic bronchitis, bronchiectasis and cystic
fibrosis improved after HT. The pts were examined 6 and 12 months
after the first HT course. No aggravations of the disease were seen
from the 3rd to the 12th month. The average duration of remission
was 7.6-0.9 [sic: probably 9.0] m. Most of the pts (60%) used no
medication and sought no medical advice.

The article went on to detail the results of lung tests, which
showed significant improvement in bronchial patency, with no
bronchospasmolytic effect. The more marked the bronchial
obstruction, the better the results of HT. 80% of the placebo
patients reported feeling better and sleeping normally, but there
were no significant changes in lung auscultation or flow-volume loop
parameters. Still, 20% had improved functional values.

2. Researchers in Perm reported on a trial that used
a "speleochamber" lined with silvinite (35.8% potassium chloride;
63.2% sodium chloride; 0.6% magnesium chloride; 1.8% calcium
sulfate; and 3.8% residual minerals--carbonate-clay material)
(Krasnostein et al., 1999). 75 patients with mild or moderate
asthma, ranging from 18 to 55 years old, were treated for a total of
12 hours over the course of 14 days, in addition to antiinflammatory
drugs. No mention is made of controls, although there was a control
chamber for comparing levels of aerosol particles and radioactivity.

In the speleochamber, gamma emissions averaged 16.0 microrem/hr; in
the control chamber, 13.0 microrem/hr. In the speleochamber there
were on average 38 beta particles per square cm per minute; in the
control chamber, 0. In the speleochamber radon activity averaged 56
Becquerels/m�; in the control chamber, 40. The researchers noted
that the total dose of radiation was far lower than permitted
levels.

66 patients (88%) had a favorable outcome, including a decline in
dyspnea, improvement in immunological parameters, and better
functioning in breathing tests. 5 patients withdrew from the trial--
2 because of increased nasal blockages; 3 because of increased
occurrence of dyspnea. 5 patients showed no benefit from therapy.
Many patients reported varying degrees of discomfort during
treatment as the lungs drained. However, specific side effects--
headache, rise in blood pressure, tickle in the throat--occurred in
only 26.6%, and only during the first 2 or 3 days.

Successfully treated patients remained free of asthma symptoms for 1-
4 months.

3. Researchers tested 188 patients with asthma, bronchitis, and
mucoviscidosis [cystic fibrosis], with 49 matched controls on
placebo (Chervinskaya, A.V. et al., 2002). 104 of the treatment
group received 12-20 60-minute sessions of halochamber therapy; 84
received 12-20 15-minute sessions of halotherapy from a desktop
inhalation device. No differences in results between these two HT
methods were found. 85% of the treatment group achieved positive
results, while only 15% of the control group did. In one third of
the treatment group, the viscosity of the mucus increased up to the
7th day, and many patients experienced increased coughing up of
mucus as their lungs drained, but by the end of the treatment their
condition improved.

The researchers conducted extensive bronchoscopic, mucosal,
cytological, bacteriological, and immunological tests that showed
favorable dynamics in all studied indicators of the defensive system
of the respiratory tract. An especially pronounced effect showed up
in the disappearance of pathogenic microorganisms in the respiratory
tracts of the patients who benefitted from treatment, whereas there
was no change in controls.

The Way Forward

The Russians and East Europeans deserve credit for their research
efforts thus far. They are clearly far ahead of their colleagues
elsewhere in the world in this leading approach to the treatment of
respiratory diseases. But much more needs to be done. Here are some
of the issues and tests that deserve attention:

comparative tests of HT and competing drugs can provide much
insight;
comparative tests of speleotherapy, halotherapy with halite, and
halotherapy with silvinite can provide insight into their relative
mechanisms and merits;
priority targets for testing should include tuberculosis, other
respiratory infections, and rhinosinusitis;
we need to conduct more thorough research on the organism-wide
effects of these modalities, including possible benefits and side
effects as well as the potential for treating non-respiratory
diseases;
we need to examine the role of radiation in speleotherapy and
silvinite halotherapy, including levels compared to other
interventions (e.g., the amount of K-40 in a banana), mechanisms of
action, special benefits, and side effects;
testing HT in combination with other therapies can lead to synergies
and superior results;
studying the effects of different dosing regimes can lead to optimal
outcomes; and
investigation of HT's effects on long-term outcomes is a major
desideratum.
In regard to these last two items, it appears that the Russians have
not attempted to use HT in modalities outside of the clinic.
Achieving a 1-4 month remission in asthma, for example, as a result
of a course of clinical HT (Krasnoshtein et al., 1999) does not seem
particularly valuable. In contrast, modest daily dosing with a
handheld inhaler might provide reliable freedom from exacerbations
and superior long-term disease outcomes. This approach also might
overcome the objection of some Western observers--that HT might
simply provide short-term symptomatic relief. These critics seem
implicitly to accept the notion that HT is best delivered in a
clinical setting.

Providing low-dose aerosol salt via another modality--a compact
nebuliser, for example, in the bedroom of an asthmatic child--might
similarly prove more effective than clinical treatment. Used for
prophylaxis by healthy people, such a microclimate optimization
approach could compete with air purifiers, not to speak of air
fresheners, which often cause more respiratory problems than they
fix.

In general, HT's excellent performance in the clinic against chronic
bronchitis suggests that a differentiated approach might prove
optimal. For instance, clinical treatment might work better than
self-dosing for chronic bronchitis, whereas asthma might be better
treated with a personal inhaler. Similarly, severe cases might yield
better to silvinite HT (more "medicine" than with halite), while
mild cases would require only the sodium chloride in halite. In the
treatment of Respiratory Syncytial Virus in infants, a desktop
nebuliser would obviously be more appropriate than a handheld
inhaler. Sometimes HT could be used as a mainline therapy; other
times, as an adjuvant. So research and testing can lead to a
variegated set of treatment options.

Conclusions

Halotherapy has been shown in clinical trials of steadily increasing
rigor to confer significant benefits in the treatment of asthma and
chronic bronchitis. The failure of Western medical researchers to
investigate it and of Western respiratory specialists to use it
stems from various causes including unfamiliarity with the Russian-
language literature, narrow focus on drugs, and general medical
conservatism.

Halotherapy enjoys many advantages. Unlike certain other physical
therapies, HT is inherently plausible and understandable by expert
and layperson alike. Now that aerosol salt therapy has climbed out
of the salt mines and gained momentum as a subject of scientific
investigation and practical application, potential critics have a
much harder time dismissing it. Halotherapy appears to be an
excellent microbicide and mucokinetic/expectorant. HT is rather
inexpensive--cheaper than speleotherapy and much cheaper than some
competing drugs. It has minimal side effects in the case of halite
HT and quite minor ones in the case of silvinite HT. There are no
reports of interactions with drugs or of the development of
microbial resistance to HT. And its close-to-nature character
appeals to patients.

HT's ability to perform as a mainline or adjuvant therapy in
virtually all respiratory diseases makes it especially valuable. It
also possesses untapped potential as a source of general prophylaxis
and invigoration for healthy people.

References

Borisenko, L.V. et al. (1994), "The Use of Halotherapy in the
Rehabilitation of Patients with Acute Bronchitis of a Protracted and
Recurrent Course," Vopr Kurortol Fizioter Lech Fiz Kult, Jan-Feb;
(1), 11-15 [Russian]

Chervinskaya, A.V. et al. (2002), "Effects of Haloaerosol Therapy on
Defense Characteristics of the Respiratory Tract," Terapevticheskii
Arkhiv 3, 48-52 [Russian]

Chervinskaya, Alina V. and Nora A. Zilber (1995), "Halotherapy for
Treatment of Respiratory Diseases," Journal of Aerosol Medicine 8
(3), 221-232

Horvath, Tibor (1986), "Speleotherapy: A Special Kind of
Climatotherapy, Its Role in Respiratory Rehabilitation," Int Rehabil
Med 8, 90-92

Krasnoshtein, A.E. et al. (1999), "Above-ground Speleoclimatic
Chambers and Experience in Their Use in Bronchial Asthma," Vopr
Kurortol Fizioter Lech Fiz Kult, May-June; 3, 25-28 [Russian]

Rassulova, M.A. et al. (2000), "The Use of the Microclimate of
Artificial Sylvinite Speleoclimatic Chambers in Treating Patients
with Chronic Obstructive Bronchitis," Vopr Kurortol Fizioter Lech
Fiz Kult, Jan-Feb; (1), 17-21 [Russian]

Rein, M.F. and G.Z. Mandell (1973), "Bacterial Killing by
Bacteriostatic Saline Solutions: Potential for Diagnostic Error,"
New England Journal of Medicine 289(15), 794-795

Speleotherapy Clinic (2004), www.halotherapy.com (as of August 3,
2004)

Wark, P.A.B. and V. McDonald (2004), "Nebulised Hypertonic Saline
for Cystic Fibrosis," Cochrane Review (abstract), www.update-
software.com/abstracts/AB001506.htm (as of August 3, 2004).

Posts: 654 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The neti pot is wonderful!
Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Daystar,

My husband and I have both been using the saltpipe for our asthma and it prevents it effectively and safely better than anything else has.

I only have to use the albuterol inhaler when I have gotten lazy about regularly using the saltpipe, and even then, I need it very rarely compared to before. When I use the saltpipe regularly I don't need the inhaler at all. Same goes for my husband.

Farah

Posts: 208 | From New Mexico | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Just got mine and am impressed. I dont have breathing problems but think its an essential accompanyment to the salt/C protocol and needed in this polluted world we live in.

sunny thoughts,
Wallace

bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had one for quite a while.
I got it after I had pneumonia after all my abx for Lyme.

I also bought one for my sister in law who had refractory pneumonia (picking that nasty up in a nursing home from a patient). It cured her in about 3 weeks after months on abx.

I think it's great...

It doesn't really look like a pipe.. more like an inhaler.. I don't think anyone would think it had anything to do with drugs.

Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement