LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 37 yr. old female dies from lyme complications

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 37 yr. old female dies from lyme complications
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worn down by Lyme
Family says disease caused death at 37.

By GREG MILLER of the Tribune's staff
Published Saturday, January 21, 2006
Although Kym Cooper's autopsy says she died of natural causes, her family believes her death Monday while she was sleeping was a product of Lyme disease, an illness she struggled with for eight years.

Jenna Isaacson photo
Susan Cooper, left, hugs son-in-law Adam Boster after he showed her materials he prepared in honor of Kym Cooper, who died Monday after suffering from Lyme disease that she contracted in 1998.
"Anybody is going to wear down," said Adam Boster, Cooper's brother-in-law. "I don't think we're meant to go forever in that stage."
Cooper lived with the severe pain and fatigue that accompanied the disease she contracted in 1998. She detailed her physical torment and battle with doctors who didn't understand her sickness in a 2001 letter her mother found three days after her death at age 37.

"This came from Kym," Susan Cooper said yesterday, showing the letter to a reporter. "There were just so many people who couldn't understand how a tick made her this sick."

In the United States, ticks are responsible for more human disease than any other insect, the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services says. Lyme disease is just one of several illnesses that can result from a tick's bite.

The disease is caused by a bacterial agent, Borrelia burgdorferi. Symptoms include fever, severe headache, muscle or joint aches and a red rash around the site of the initial bite.

Kym Cooper had worked as an activities director for a Fayette nursing home. After she was bitten by a tick in 1998, she just picked it off and kept walking, sister Steffany Boster said. It's unclear whether the bite occurred on a trail in Boonville or in Columbia.

"I don't think she ever gave it any thought," Boster said.

A few days later, a red rash developed around the bite.

A Boonville doctor advised Cooper to apply an ointment and forget about it. But she then began to experience extreme fatigue and had trouble walking and speaking.

"I knew something was really wrong," Cooper wrote in the 2001 letter.

Cooper's Boonville doctor then diagnosed the problem as a stress disorder.

But as Cooper's health declined, another doctor referred her to Gordon Christensen, a physician and professor at the University of Missouri-Columbia. Nearly a year after the bite occurred, Christensen diagnosed Cooper with Lyme disease - something he's only diagnosed three times in his career.

"It's a real challenge," Christensen said. "We don't know a lot about this."

In Missouri, there were 15 cases of Lyme disease reported in 2004, said Karen Yates, the vector-borne diseases program coordinator at the Department of Health and Senior Services.

"We really have a hard time tracking that," Yates said yesterday. "We suspect that there are other people who do become ill and are not being counted."

Some cases of Lyme disease are incurable, but there is no diagnostic test to determine the presence of the disease.

For Christensen to make a strict diagnosis, he had to follow a strict set of questions and symptoms laid out by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Making matters even more complicated, Borrelia burgdorferi has never been isolated in a patient from Missouri.

"By that definition, there's never been a case of Lyme disease in Missouri," Christensen said.

To test for Borrelia burgdorferi, a blood sample must be taken to see whether blood reacts to the illness's genetic material, but other things can cause a reaction.

"It's a big mess," Christensen said of efforts to make such a diagnosis.

Christensen said these unknowns have divided most physicians into one group that doesn't believe Lyme disease has occurred and treats the symptoms and another group that aggressively treats the disease with antibiotics.

"I'm kind of right in the middle," Christensen said. "I don't think either group has got it right."

Confusion like this drove Cooper to type a one-page letter.

"If you run into a doctor that says Lyme disease doesn't exist, it's time to find another doctor," said Adam Boster, Cooper's brother-in-law.

Yates said that of Missouri's 15 cases of Lyme disease in 2004, three affected residents of Boone County. The state department of health says the incidence of the disease was 2.21 per 100,000 in Boone County, compared with the state average of 0.46 per 100,000.

No confirmed Lyme disease case has been fatal.

"It's a chronic illness, but it's not considered to be lethal," Christensen said. "It's the complications."

The CDC lists several tips to protect against ticks: Avoid tick-infested areas, wear light-colored clothing, use tick repellent and perform daily tick checks.

If someone finds a tick embedded in his or her skin, the CDC Web site recommends using fine-tipped tweezers to grab the tick close to the skin and gently pull it straight up to keep its head intact with its body. After handling the tick, wash hands, clean the bite and watch for signs of illness.

As Cooper's family members mourn, they are preparing for a service at 2 p.m. tomorrow at Memorial Funeral Home. They have asked for donations to the National Lyme Disease Association because they know - through Cooper's letter - how important Lyme disease education can be.

"I hope that whoever reads this letter will have better understanding of what it is like to live like this," Cooper wrote. "Please, I need all the support I can get because I am not getting better only worse."

Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How terribly sad that someone at 37 young years of age, could not get the medical help that was needed to live. This deeply saddens me.

When is this maddest going to stop? How many more lives must be ruined before the truth about lyme is understood?

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This woman lived down here in the South where we are in a big debate as to whether we have borrelia burdorferi here or not...I say who cares if it is burdorferi or not it is a borrelia of some sort.

Meanwhile the political wheels continue to spin and people are not getting the correct treatment.

As long as I am alive I will be fighting for education and recognition of lyme and coinfections and whatever un-named borrelia we have down here.

I probably was infected in MA. But find it so interesting that I didn't get completely dehabilitated until I moved to NC. Ticks here are relentless (lone star) and in numbers like I never witnessed in my life.

Meanwhile our brave LLMD and staff are under fire down here like everywhere...

It is discouraging but in my mind the battle has only just begun and one by one I am going to make a difference with the work I am doing [Wink]

Take care and lets say a prayer for Kym's spirit and her family.

--------------------
�Pride is concerned with who is right. Humility is concerned with what is right.� - Ezre Taft Benson

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm afraid well see more and more obit like this as this epidemic wears the poorly treated and those resistant to treatment down.
Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I read that article too when it came out from LymeInfo yesterday.

Pretty sad alright. But it makes no difference whether you live in the south, northeast, midwest, or west/northwest. Here in Wisconsin, we are one of the two or three states with the MOST lyme disease in the midwest, but medical field is STILL JUST as ignorant.

OR ARE THEY IGNORANT?

I wonder, is it just that they want to keep getting paid from the insurance companies, and state and federal help?!?!?!

When I went to my family physician ten miles from here last November to see IF I could get any relief because I felt like I was going to die any day, he said: "Die, by what criteria have you come up with that?"

I told him because I have been in this body my whole life, (64+ years), and know when I am healthy, sick or near death by now. He said it might not even be Lyme, could be Erlichia, or just symptoms left over from the Cipro treatment from 6 years ago).

I could hardly even see him my vision was so bad. But I still looked at him in disgust. So I waited about a total of 1.75 hours while he came back and forth, copying a page of the Healing Lyme book I brought with me. Then came in and said he would call me.

That was over two months ago. He still hasn't called me.

IF I hadn't joined this group, got Buhner's book, and started on herbs and abx on my own, I COULD be dead by now, or at least in the near future.

I have been near death several times in my life, so I DO know when I am near death and when I am not.

BUT do the Stupid Ducks listen? DO they care? Hardly. ONLY IF we have a lot of money to give them and/or DO EXACTLY AS THEY SAY ON EVERYTHING!

It is a very rare find, indeed, that Scott and Gigi have found in a Doc. Unfortunately ALL of us can't or don't want to live on the west coast.

Jim [bonk]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattiecake
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattiecake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is very sad and insane but all too typical as far as the establishments response goes.
denial
denial
denial
pattiecake

Posts: 687 | From PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement