LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » supplements to increase CD57

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: supplements to increase CD57
Ms. Myoclonus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Myoclonus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I know using the CD57 as a marker for improvement is controversial as some people's numbers stay chronically low.

I am one of those people who have made dramatic improvements in my health with the CD57 not budging. My CD57 has stayed consistenly between 15-20, except for a jump toward 50 when I first started treatment.

Keeping in mind that the jury is still out on CD57, I am looking for supplementation that might help me improve my numbers.

Here are a few journal articles I found that linked supplements with CD57. Any comments on deciphering these articles or other info. you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ms. Myo

Bromelain treatment alters leukocyte expression of cell surface molecules involved in cellular adhesion and activation.

Clin Immunol. 2002 Aug;104(2):183-90.

Hale LP, Greer PK, Sempowski GD.

Department of Pathology, Duke University, Durham, NC 27710, USA.

Bromelain is a natural proteinase preparation derived from pineapple stem that is marketed for oral use as a digestive aid and as an antiinflammatory agent. Bromelain treatment in vitro has been previously shown to selectively remove certain cell surface molecules that may affect lymphocyte migration and activation.

This study reports the effects of bromelain on a broad range of cell surface molecules and on lymphocytes, monocytes, and granulocytes under physiologically relevant conditions. In vitro bromelain treatment of leukocytes in whole blood proteolytically altered 14 of 59 leukocyte markers studied.

Constitutively expressed bromelain-sensitive molecules included CD7, CD8alpha, CD14, CD16, CD21, CD41, CD42a, CD44, CD45RA, CD48, CD57, CD62L, CD128a, and CD128b.

The proteolytic effect of bromelain increased as the concentration of plasma decreased, with EC50 ranging from >1000 microg/ml for 100% plasma to approximately 1 microg/ml in the absence of plasma, indicating the presence of an inhibitor of bromelain in plasma. alpha2-macroglobulin purified from plasma mimicked the inhibitory effect of whole plasma on bromelain activity.

If proteolysis is required for the antiinflammatory actions of oral bromelain, these data suggest that the required concentrations are more likely to be achieved locally in the gastrointestinal tract or in other tissue sites where the plasma concentration is low, rather than in the bloodstream.

The cell surface molecules altered by bromelain are involved in leukocyte homing and cellular adhesion and activation. Thus bromelain could potentially exert an antiinflammatory effect by multiple mechanisms, including alterations in leukocyte migration and activation.

PMID: 12165279 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 1995;65(2):117-21. Related Articles, Links

Effect of vitamin and trace element supplementation on immune indices in healthy elderly.

Pike J, Chandra RK.

Department of Pediatrics, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Canada.

Aging is associated with a progressive decline in the immune system and a greater susceptibility to infection. This double-blind, placebo-controlled study, examined the effect of a vitamin and trace element supplement on immune responses of healthy, noninstitutionalized elderly subjects.

Forty-seven subjects aged 61-79 years were randomly assigned to receive placebo or micronutrient supplementation for one year. Thirty-five individuals completed the one-year study. Immune function was assessed before and after the period of supplementation.

Cell-mediated immune function assessed by the number of T cells and subsets remained constant in the supplemented group and there was a significant increase in CD57 natural killer cells.

In contrast, a significant decrease in T cells, CD4 cells, and CD4: CD8 ratio was noted in the placebo group. Supplementation with micronutrients can play a crucial role in the maintenance of normal immune function in the elderly.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 122 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question!
I know this is a hot area of current research.
As far as the info i have received, the links below list supplements that may boost NK cells and CD-57, others add the rest please...got to run!

http://www.pharmanex.com/corp/product/solutions/reishimax.shtml
http://www.pharmanex.com/au/product/reishimax_qa.shtml

Ip-6
http://www.wellfx.com/InfoBase/vitamin_IP-6.html
possible

ARA plus
Echinacea

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See the topic I posted earlier tonight titled -- Immune System Players and Herbs -- lists herbs that boost overall Killer Cells which should also help with CD57 Killer Cells specifically I would think.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement