LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Turn off ELECTRIC blankets & bed heaters...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Turn off ELECTRIC blankets & bed heaters...
Truthfinder
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Electric blankets:

I did some research on the electric blanket thing, because I had read somewhere that electric blankets can bring on or re-activate Lyme Disease symptoms. Here's what I found:

This is from the ``When to Suspect Lyme Disease'' essay:
http://cassia.org/essay.htm

``One helpful caveat is to avoid the use of electric blankets or sleeping in water beds with the electric current activated, otherwise you might wake up with one or more LD symptoms.''

Note that it says ``with the electric current activated''. So it sounds like if you turn off the blanket or the heater before you get in bed, it should be okay.

Just thought I would pass this on...... it seems that it may be important in the big picture.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I forgot to mention that electric blankets will also "antidote" (nullify) most homeopathic remedies.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy, seeing your post made me remember an incident on my late Mom. She developed colon to the liver cancer, carcinoid syndrome tumor cancer.

She used an electric pad to warm up the bottom sheet, etc. She got terribly sick with her cancer, and I had to take her flying down the highway at a high speed since she was so sick.

She lived the rest of her life in 2 hospitals.
Anyway, I was cleaning her bedroom 5-7 months later or after her death, and DISCOVERED ELECTRIC SHEET WARMER still on ALL this time.

Thank God there wasn't a fire in my folks' old 1916 home.

So my message, make sure all the electricity is turned off these things when not in use.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a newer type of electric blanket that has a different kind of wire, and doesn't create an electromagnetic field.
Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one of the new blankets - and I love it. I do, however usually turn it off before I fall asleep.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Electromagnetic exposure is probably one of the worst for neuro problems.

We used to pull the fuse into the total bedroom area in order not to have any exposure. Not even an electric alarm clock.

Electric blankets are a killer with neurological symptoms, as are electric heating pads, etc.

Learn about electromagnetic stress! It is not a lightweight.

Take care.

Here are some resources:

CURRENT SWITCH: VHS Video
How to Reduce or Eliminate Electromagnetic Pollution in the Home & Office by John & Trish Banta

The only of its kind! A very practical and easy to watch video guide to detecting and minimizing unwanted man-made EMFs. Includes step-by-step information on how to deal with electric blankets, water beds, computers, microwave transmitters, radar, and household wiring! Must watching for home buyers, electric sensitives, and anyone concerned about EMFs. 1994

Current Switch Video (Cat. #A610)....................$29.95 Make sure to get 2nd edition

WARNING: THE ELECTRICITY AROUND YOU MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH
by Ellen Sugarman
Originally published in 1992 and out of print for several years, this investigative journalist has revised, improved, and expanded her original work and made it available once again. Clearly written for the non-technical reader but absolutely right on with useful and practical information for understanding, detecting, and reducing EMFs. Topics include: EMF controversy explained, how to do an EMF survey, what do the studies prove?, managing EMFs at work, and current EMF litigation. Comprehensive and relevant. Highly recommended. 1997.

Warning: The Electricity Around You ... (Cat. #A525) ...... $17.00

ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELDS
A Consumer's Guide to the Issues and How to Protect Ourselves
by B. Blake Levitt

A frank, balanced, informative book explaining where electromagnetic fields are in nature, what illnesses may have a connection to EMFs, why doctors' knowledge may be limited, how the safety of homes and offices can be determined, and what action citizens and communities can take toward protection. 400 pages. 1995 Regular price: $15.00

Electromagnetic Fields (Cat. #A580)....$16.00

SILENCING THE FIELDS
A Practical Guide to Reducing AC Magnetic Fields
by Ed Leeper
Ed Leeper (who worked with Wirtheimer in the 1970's on the ground breaking study linking EMFs with childhood cancer) has finally published his considerable thoughts and experience dealing with electromagnetic fields. He covers in depth the concepts of net current, fields from water lines, improper electrical wiring practices and how to correct them. Then he goes on to selecting an EMF meter, principles of practical magnetic shielding, considerations for fluorescent lighting, small appliances, radiant heating etc., etc. Written in a candid language with ample illustrations. Clear enough for the patient layperson, and specific enough for the electrician, engineer or physicist. This is the PRACTICAL solutions book we have all been looking for. 340 pages, 2001

Silencing The Fields (Cat. #A547) .............................. $49.50

TRACING EMFs in Building Wiring and Grounding
by Karl Riley
A practical guide for reducing AC magnetic fields produced by building wiring and improper grounding practices. Step by step instructions for detecting wiring problems and a full description of common wiring errors and how to correct them. This guide is for anyone who wants to inspect their own home, electricians and electrical inspectors, those starting a new profession in EMF consulting, as well as those involved with the process of building construction such as architects and contractors. Utility personnel involved in EMF measurements can profit from this information. 71 pages, soft cover book. 1995

TRACING EMFs (Cat. #A530)....................$27.50

TRACING MAGNETIC FIELDS IN BUILDING WIRING Video
by Karl Riley
This video graphically explains how certain wiring errors create high magnetic fields. It shows step-by-step methods of measuring the fields and then how to find the faulty circuit and the wiring error. Created under a grant from California Health Services to help school electricians reduce the magnetic fields found in the state's schools during a 90-school magnetic field survey. Filmed by the video dept. of Southern California Edison and using their graphics animation to show how the currents move in misconnected circuits. Written and hosted by Karl Riley, author of Tracing EMFs in Building Wiring and Grounding. VHS 23 minutes.

Tracing Magnetic Fields... Video (Cat. #A531) ........ $19.95

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following are my favorite Websites on EMF:

www.lessemf.com .com]www.silencingthefields.com[/URL] http://infoventures.com/emf/

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

I have seen those newer types of electric blankets that claim they are safe, but I don't know whether to believe it or not.

Thanks for the additional info, Gigi.

I'm pretty sure I read something written by Dr. K. where he stated that if you use an electric blanket, you probably won't get well from Lyme. But I didn't find it in the "Beyond Antibiotics" ariticle, so I don't know where I might have seen that.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement