LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Coconut Oil...Has Anti fungal, Anti virial and Anti Protozoal effects?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coconut Oil...Has Anti fungal, Anti virial and Anti Protozoal effects?
lymedesign
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedesign     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I did some seaching on Coconut Oil and it seems to have some good properties. Most articles mentioned Anti: viral, fungal, bacterial and protozoan effects.

Does anyone on this board use Coconut Oil to treat yeast, stomach realted bacteria, or possibly even BABs., since I think this is a protozoal infection??

Thanks all,

Posts: 263 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would imagine Babs meds have to work systemically and be able to get into the bone marrow etc. to kill it off so this would not work very effectively or be anywhere near strong enough probably, although maybe a healthy thing to take as a supplement.

Emma

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took good quality virgin coconut oil, a TBSP every three hours for many months and I believe that (with other cleanse and dietary regimens)
did an excellent job on systemic Candida.
(all my symtoms are gone and it no longer shows in bloodwork as of my last few pcr's, I had three strains detected at MDL for about a year - and Diflucan did not clear it)

Lots of cosmetic benefits as well. Plus good for thyroid and a host of other things.
There are allot of formal studies on Coconut.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it everyday, but not at the amount that Mo mentioned. It has helped my scalp itchiness ALOT! Guess I'll up my dose! [I take 1 tbs a day]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eat, Drink, and Bathe in the Coconut--

jwf Fri Sep-10-04 11:39 PM

Coconut Oil

The medium-chain saturated fatty acids in coconut oil are potent antimicrobial agents, effective against fungi, viruses and many bacteria. The most effective fatty acids are caprylic acid (with 8 carbon atoms), capric acid (10 carbon atoms) and lauric acid (12 carbon). They appear to work by causing microbial cell walls to disintegrate.

Coconut oil appears to be effective within days. With Candida take initially 4 tablespoons of coconut oil spread out during the day, and after improvement you may reduce this to 2 tablespoons for several more weeks. This seems to be effective against systemic as well as localised infestations, including those of the genitals. However, it is advisable to apply coconut oil topically as well.

The best commercial product is cold-pressed or virgin coconut oil. However, this has been heat-stabilised to destroy lipase. Therefore, my preference is self-made coconut milk: press coconut pieces through a low-speed juicer, or alternatively blend with water, strain and refrigerate.

For topical applications and for those with fat malabsorption the lipase-rich coconut milk can be expected to be much more effective than heated coconut oil with only a very low concentration of free fatty acids. Alternatively, you may use lipase supplements with coconut oil.

Who doesn't like the smell of Coconut?

Blue Skies..................John

Posts: 134 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almond Joys & Pina Coladas for all!
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best to but extra-virgin coconut oil. Its also good for the immune system.

Here's a link on coconut oil:

http://www.all-about-virgin-coconut-oil.com/

make sure to talk over everything first with your LLMD

[ 03. August 2006, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: 5dana8 ]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugabooboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody notice increases in cholesterol while taking large amounts?

Bug

--------------------
Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see....Corrie Ten Boom

Posts: 343 | From Northcentral Iowa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following is an article that I wrote about the active ingredient in coconut oil. I took it for about 10 months. Didn't notice much difference. I also cook primarily with virgin coconut oil. I still had a mild yeast infection even before starting abx.

I am including the whole article here but also the link to the webpage so that you can access the links within the text of the article.
http://www.webshopemporium.com/monolaurin.htm

Monolaurin (Lauricidin)
Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum's Treatment Protocol for Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome recommends the following:"Take 9 capsules once a day on an empty stomach for 1 week, followed by 6 capsules once a day for 20 days. Take lysine 1500 mg twice a day while on Monolaurin."

According to several sources, an effective dose is 1800 mg to 2400 mg per day.

Monolaurin is made from lauric acid and is a patented ester of lauric acid. Lauric acid is a naturally occurring substance found in mothers milk and coconut oil. Monolaurin possesses anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-protozoal and anti-bacterial properties. It has been found to destroy lipid coated viruses such as the flu, HIV, HHV-6 (strains A and B), EBV, CMV and h.pylori to name a few. It may also be helpful in improving the immune system's anti-inflammatory response.

Monolaurin is thought to have the potential to kill certain fat coated viruses by causing the fatty coat to become liquid which then leads to the disintegration of viral particles that were inside the fatty envelope.

According to the Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients: Antiviral intervention for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, monolaurin has been shown to be active against influenza virus, pneumovirus, paramyxovirus (Newcastle), morbillivirus (rubeola), coronavirus (avian infectious, bronchitis virus), herpes simplex I & II, CMV, EBV, and HIV. They state that it is also effective against yeast and fungi, staphylococcus aureus and streptococcus agalactiae, chlamydia trachomatis, candida albicans, giardia lamblia, ringworm, H. pylori and gonorrhea.

Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
ImmuneSupport.com reports that Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum's Treatment Protocol for Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome calls for 9/300 mg capsules once a day on an empty stomach for 1 week, followed by 6 capsules once a day for 20 days. He recommends taking lysine 1500 mg twice a day while on Monolaurin.

H. Pylori
The high activity of monoglycerides against H. pylori suggests that they may be useful as active ingredients in pharmaceutical formulations.1

Cytomegalovirus
In-vitro tests showed that Monolaurin inhibits the growth of Cytomegalovirus.2

Aids Treatment

Information suggests that monolaurin may be helpful for those with aids. For further information please see:
Monolaurin - AIDS Treatment News

References
1. Bergsson G, Steingrimsson O, Thormar H., "Bactericidal effects of fatty acids and monoglycerides on Helicobacter pylori.", Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2002 Oct;20(4):258-62
Entrez PubMed Abstract

2. Clarke NM, May JT., "Effect of antimicrobial factors in human milk on rhinoviruses and milk-borne cytomegalovirus in vitro" J Med Microbiol. 2000 Aug;49(8):719-23.
Entrez PubMed

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymefighter7
Member # 9224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymefighter7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coconut oil sounds like it is a good oil, its the main oil that the author of "The Maker's Diet" uses. His test showed he had highest levels of yeast. He also had severe chrohns and he is completely well by doing his diet.
Posts: 47 | From WV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anyone know if this is supposed to be used in the solid form, or the liquid.

i bought mine at the store the other day and it turned to liquid due to the heat...it was solid when i bought it.

thanks

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virginia of Yore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virginia of Yore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can'tgiveupyet, coconut oil has a low melting point, so liquefies when a room is warm. It won't harm it. One of the benefits of coconut oil is that it can be heated to higher temperatures than most oils without the harmful effects created in others by heating them (even EEVO/olive oil).
Posts: 193 | From Virginia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeam2pm
Member # 6103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeam2pm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where can you buy coconut oil? Do you just eat it? I've got yeast now and I love coconut so that seems to be the ticket for me. If it liqufies, how do you take it?

Thanks for any replies.

Posts: 23 | From Spring Grove, PA USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's easiest to take when it's liquified.

During fall and winter it will get solid according to room temperature - in which case I keep it in a small glass jar, and simply set the jar in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes as it melts quickly. In summer it should just be ready to go.

Then you just pour yourself a TBSP, and I don't like the feeling or taste of swallowing oil - it makes me gag, so I put it in my mouth and immediately take a swig of diluted juice with it, and swallow them together.

That's the easiest way for me to make sure I get enough.

Some people like to put it on food, or spread the hard oil on toast, ect...
but I don't like that at all, and feel I could not get enough in me for "medicinal" purposes as I would have to be eating it all day.

Others still prefer the fresh milk. However, opening coconuts is labor intensive!

Good quality oil is concentrated and alive.

I find this simple. I have a good quality bottle of shark liver oil, which I really would like to get into me as well - and I just can't do it.
Talk about horrible tatse!! [puke]

So the coconut is mild and no big deal at all in comparison.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virginia of Yore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virginia of Yore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of places online sell it, as do a lot of health food stores. Look for it in pint size jars around their oils/fats section. You can put a bit in a skillet like oil or butter just to brown things, and look online for recipes that use it. There's much more info on it at osteopath MD Dr. Joseph Mercola's site, ( www.mercola.com )if you search his site for coconut oil. Sample here:
http://www.mercola.com/2001/mar/24/coconut_oil.htm
and if you heard it's bad for you like palm oil, read this: http://www.mercola.com/2003/sep/13/coconut_oil.htm

A warning: if you sign up for his e-newsletter, you might want to set up a separate email just to receive them, as you will get bombarded with several emails a week, a good bit of which is sales hype. He does have some worthwhile info sprinkled in that makes it worthwhile, though, if you have the time to read it all.

Posts: 193 | From Virginia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymedesign
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedesign     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all of these wonderful replies. I haven't read of any negative effects of taking coconut oil, so I think I will start my daughter on it.

What is the dose needed to elimiate a systemic yeast problem?

Mo, do you think it is necessary to take every three hours? I know this did work well for you. How much would be needed for 75 pound child??

Do you think this interfers at all with ABX (Zith and Mepron). I was thinking that it may be beneficial to take with Mepron for the "fat" gram factor???

Posts: 263 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

This is a good brand, organic and they use the correct process to keep the oil a living substance:

http://www24.netrition.com/nutiva_coconut_oil_page.html

I give my daughter (who weighs less) a tsp 3x a day, but started out giving 4x a day and then reduced.

I took as much as I did as I am an adult and had very bad systemic yeast.

From what I know, it would not in any way interfere with abx - it's food. In fact, one might need more on abx. My daughter has been off abx treatment for 2 years and is doing incredibly well. (was treated for 2 as she was very ill as a baby from Lyme, Bart, and Myco)
She began this dose of coconut when she stopped abx.

My son also has been taking it and his good cholesterol (I think HDL?) was chronically very low, it is now back to normal.

Mo

lymedesign
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8791

Thanks Mo,

The "Nutiva" looks like a great choice. And who can beat the price of this supplement??? It is really cheap compared to most products.

SSHHH keep this quiet, the price may go up [Smile]

Takedownthemoon
Member # 9008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Takedownthemoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.tropicatraditions.com is a good brand imo, and it is absolutely delicious..
Posts: 89 | From Ohio | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Takedownthemoon
Member # 9008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Takedownthemoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry spelled it wrong-good grief!

www.tropicaltraditions.com

They run great specials from time to time.

Posts: 89 | From Ohio | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think we should send the links for coconut products to "keith richards"(rolling stones) who fell out of teh coconut tree.

i wonder if he was thinking of i.v. coconut juice?! [lol]

i once read a blurb on i.v. coconut juice.

WWII docs couldn't find sterile water for the i.v. so they ran a line from the coconut to the persons arm.

Imagine walking around with an i.v. pole, with a coconut instead of an plastic bag dangling from it! [lol]

[ 30. July 2006, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: pq ]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me...it is easier in the pill form...and this comes from someone who does love Pina Coladas and Mounds bars.

I have 3 files about this if anyone wants more, let me know.

But I find this interesting (as a detox):

Hum Exp Toxicol. 2005 Apr;24(4):215-8.

Successful treatment of acute aluminium phosphide poisoning: possible benefit of coconut oil.

Shadnia S, Rahimi M, Pajoumand A, Rasouli MH, Abdollahi M.

Poison Center, Loghman-Hakim Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Shaheed-Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.

Aluminium phosphide is used to control rodents and pests in grain storage facilities. It produces phosphine gas, which is a mitochondrial poison.

Unfortunately, there is no known antidote for aluminium phosphide intoxication, but our recent experience with a case showed that rapid prevention of absorption by coconut oil might be helpful.

In the present case, we used the same protocol in a 28-year-old man who had ingested a lethal amount (12 g) of aluminium phosphide with suicidal intent and was admitted to hospital approximately 6 hours postingestion.

The patient had signs and symptoms of severe toxicity, and his clinical course included metabolic acidosis and liver dysfunction.

Treatment consisted of gastric lavage with potassium permanganate solution, oral administration of charcoal and sorbitol suspension, intravenous administration of sodium bicarbonate, magnesium sulphate and calcium gluconate, and oral administration of sodium bicarbonate and coconut oil.

Conservative and supportive therapy in the Intensive Care Unit was also provided. The patient survived following rapid treatment and supportive care. It is concluded that coconut oil has a positive clinical significance and can be added to the treatment protocol of acute aluminium phosphide poisoning in humans.

PMID: 15957538

It was coconut oil PLUS *everything else* they gave. Read carefully.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tj33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tj33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are not using coconut oil you are missing a great health aid.

I cook with it. I use it for shorting in baking. Makes great biscuits...
I take a tablespoon every morning... Eggs cooked in the oil tastes great....
Coconut oil boosts my energy levels and helps me sleep like a rock...

I have used it to help my wife recover from breast cancer and Lyme.

Get rid of all veggie oils, canola is a slow poison, Soy has been found to damage the thyroid.
Transfats are created when the unstable veggie oils age. You can't see it or taste it but, it will damage your body..

Note: A world wide study by the UN WHO found that the cholesterol level average for men was 240 and women was 260. It has been found that women over 60 are at risk for breast cancer if cholesterol drops below 260.

Don't sweat Cholesterol levels. If your Cholesterol is lower than 240 for men and 260 for women your immune system is weak..

The way the Statin drugs work to lower cholesterol is to damage the liver.

The liver is the only source for cholesterol. Foods don't effect cholesterol levels.

It has been found that transfats irritates the arteries and cholesterol is used by the body to cover the irritation to help the blood vessel to heal... Transfats is causing heart problems, not cholestrol...

Cholesterol is the fuel for the immune system and the brain...

Animal fats are required by humans for energy and building material for the organs. A no fat diet will kill you...
The reason chicken soup is good for colds is that it contains chicken fat that boosts the immune system... Grandma knew more than most doctors...

Statin drugs are very dangerous and there is no hard data that low cholesterol levels are good for you.

There is hard data that shows the opposite.. Low cholestrol means a weak immune system and puts you in danger for infections and cancer. Google Dr. Mary Enig.

Doesn't it seem rather odd that after thousands of years of human evolution that we just "discover" that cholesterol is bad for humans.

And that "discovery" was made by doctors on the payroll of Snake Oil peddlers.

The Cholesterol thing is a fabrication of the drug companies to sell their poison pills of Statins at billions of dollars a year...

Coconut oil is a great booster for the immune system.

There are many places on the web to buy it. Be sure to get the virgin oil.

This is my favorite place to get the oil... It is an virgin oil and excellent quality...

My favorite source
Tj

Posts: 192 | From Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cholesterol is VLDL, LDL and HDL...very low density lipoproteins, low density lipoproteins and high density lipoproteins.

The high density, researchers think, helps remove excess cholesterol and send it back to the liver.

Yes, in some respects high cholesterol is good...but HDL is the BEST.

The "ratio" of good to bad makes a difference...huge. Think of LDL as the "lousy" kind.

Cholesterol can be "dumped" when someone is infected.

As an acidic protein/protein+fat...it can help to fight infections.

At those times, it is beneficial.

However...Bb follows the cholesterol (and glycolysis pathways) and it appears putting the brakes on an enzyme called HMG CoA reductase, stops the liver from releasing VLDL. It stops the liver from MAKING cholesterol.

That doesn't mean we can't EAT foods that contain cholesterol...(the good kind).

We HAVE to have cholesterol. It is part of our cells. It is needed to make the myelin sheath.

We just have to put the brakes on the liver releasing VLDL and rely on healthy foods instead to supply the good "fats" along with protein and complex carbs. for the right balance.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know of any mold issues with coconut oil? Is there any breakdown in quality when it changes back and forth from solid to liquid?
Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

If the oil os processed in the correct manner (cold pressed, keeping it 'alive') ..

normal temperature swings bringing it from solid to liquid will not effect it at all.

Taking it 'medicinally', just be sure the bulk of the coconut you take is not exposed to extreme temps (like freezing or extreme heat from cooking) for optimal stability and living qualities.

"The reason chicken soup is good for colds is that it contains chicken fat that boosts the immune system... Grandma knew more than most doctors..."

You know it, tj!

We literally have lived on an incredible chicken soup for years now. Eating it most every day except when it's real hot like this.

Add dark green veggies and 20 cloves of garlic, other healthful gerbs and spices, fennel, ect -- as well as organic chicken (cooked with bone and skin on),
and you have yourself a delicious medicine for lunch or dinner.

I am convinced this has done us as good as anything else.

Another excellent oil is Ghee. This is clarified butter, used in Ayurvedic cooking. The method of clarifying it makes it into a very healthy and detoxifying oil.

It is delicious with a little crystal salt - with or without Indian spices to cook rice, veggies, beans -- or in the AM saute some diced apples in it and add cinnamon and cloves with a few prunes and a small amnt of water to stew the fruit..

YUM! and it is very good for you.

High cholesterol/no fat diet is a crock. We NEED good lipids. (the bad kinds are poison over time)

Mo

--------------------
life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage
-- anais nin

elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymefighter7:
Coconut oil sounds like it is a good oil, its the main oil that the author of "The Maker's Diet" uses. His test showed he had highest levels of yeast. He also had severe chrohns and he is completely well by doing his diet.

he also cowrote "Restoring Your Digestive Health" which is a great book. I don't have the energy to do exactly what he recommends, but I have done some of it, and have noticed some relief. Yes he raves about coconut oil.
Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tj33:
The Cholesterol thing is a fabrication of the drug companies to sell their poison pills of Statins at billions of dollars a year...

Absolutely!!! Statins can damage a liver much more easily than abx or Diflucan can.....WAY more easily in my opinion.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymefighter7
Member # 9224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymefighter7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good recipe to use with coconut oil if you don't like taking it straight.

1 c. of organic plain yogurt
1 tbs. of coconut oil
1 tbs. honey
1/2c. mixed berries or strawberries
(Mix all together. Make sure berries are thwed and oil is liquidy for easier mixing.)

ENJOY!!!!

Posts: 47 | From WV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken it for about 2 years (post Lyme therapy with abx).
During my abx days, I was taking Lauricidin (whihc esentially is lauric acid- the main fat in coconutoil).

There's quite a bit of literature on virgin coconut oil- it's a medium chain fatty acid- very good.

Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virginia of Yore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3269

Tj33, could you post your biscuit recipe using the coconut oil, please? Thanks!
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for Trueblue.

Coconut oil has antiviral properties.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol in PA:
Up for Trueblue.

Coconut oil has antiviral properties.

Carol

[lol]
I read pq's post yesterday and thought "I ought to take more coconut oil, again."

So... I notice the thread and reread the whole thing, which I've read before, to find it was for me.

Thank you Carol! [kiss]
I'll go have some right now.

It's good to have someone doing the thinking lately, dirty job but someone's got to do it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a small bottle of virgin coconut oil not long ago, but I'm chicken to try it!

After buying it, it dawned on me that I get constipated just looking at a picture of anything with coconut in it.

Anybody know if virgin coconut oil is constipating?

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not found coconut oil to be constipating.

I keep mine in the fridge and have to chisel it out,though! [bonk]

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been eating the coconut oil now for many months. I just had my cholesteral checked and it was 155 so no harm done.

I had to start very slowly because I herx with it. 1 tsp daily for quite awhile. I am now at 2 tbsp daily and herxing again. My herxing is all in my sinuses where fungi likes to hang out, so I am sure the oil gets the credit. I also use it on my hands and feet as a moisturizer.

I buy the extra virgin at 14.00 per bottle. It tastes best and is the recommended one to take. I will eat it liquid or solid. Makes no difference to me. I think it taste like a mounds bar minus the chocolate. (Of course I have been off sugar for a year, so natural sweet tastes really good to me now)

Recently my doctor added Vit D to my regimin which produced a Lupus like rash in my scalp, hair loss and a rash on my face similar to the Lupus butterfly rash. It really scared me.

I soaked my head in coconut oil and slept with it overnight. Washed my hair the next morning and the rash was gone. My hair was extra soft too. It is supposed to be very good for skin burns and rashes. (I also stopped the D)

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love coconut oil, but even moreso, coconut milk. I was told that about 11 ounces of the milk is equal to one tablespoon of the oil. I used to mix blueberries and bananas with the milk and sometimes a little protein powder, even chlorella powder sometimes, and half freeze it so it became a little like ice cream. Native Forest is a nice brand as it has no sugar added. The oil reminds me of a Mounds bar also, a childhood favorite, that I miss.

It really improved my health, body temperature, weight, and skin and hair.

When my symptoms shifted to my head last winter, somehow, I could no longer tolerate it. It created neuro herx reactions. I think I hated this the most about the relapse. My diet was already so limited then. I had only recently discovered I could tolerate it. Soooo unfair!!!

I cannot wait til the neuro stuff resolves so I can go back to eating it. Glad to hear others are benefitting.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymex5&counting
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymex5&counting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I eat it, bake with it, put it on my skin and in my hair. It works great. I love it. But no one else at my house does.

Lyme x 9

Posts: 399 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all for reminding me. I actually used this last year (Tropical Traditions)while I was Iv'ing and it did help!

I like to add 1 teaspoon to a hot cup of coffee. Tastes wonderful and it melts easily.

Caused a herx the first few times I took it.....but it was very beneficial.

Must go back to my cabinet now and use it again. The best thing is you don't have to keep it refrigerated. It stays good for a very long time. [Smile]

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on a related note, a passage from diffieque, on the effects of lipids(here, fatty acids) on protozoa.
whereas here, the discussion is on unsaturated fatty acids, the fatty acids in coconut oil are saturated. lauric acid in coconut oil is the tx agent, there may be others i'm unaware of.
also, check monolaurin which, the body makes from lauric acid, and this may be the functional from of lauric acid.

passage from diffieque"

"I found the following passage in a medical treatise that I've transcribed into this post from the text. The treatise is entitled:
"Research In Physiopathology As Basis of Guided Chemotherapy With Special Application to Cancer," by Emanuel Revici, M.D. Scientific Director, Institute of Applied Biology, New York, NY., Chief of Dept. of Oncology, Trafalgar Hospital, New York, N.Y., D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc., 1961

Section in text:
P. 158. " Effects of Lipids on Protozoa"

"The effects of lipids upon monocellular organisms, especially tetra-hymna pyriformis, were studied and an effort
made to relate the nature of the main changes induced in these protozoa to changes observed at the cellular level of complex organisms. An initial effect was noted on the polarity in protozoa which seemed to be oppositely influenced by long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and sterols. Lipids with a positive character were seen to induce a change in the form of protozoa causing them to become almost round, a change considered to correspond to reduced polarity. Lipids with a negative character had an opposite effect; the tetrahymna became abnormally elongated.
The administration of higher amounts of polyunsaturated fatty acids was seen to induce immediate changes localized at the anterior pole of the organism, changes which ultimately lead to the breakdown of the membrane particularly at this point. This effect parallels in intensity the degree of desaturation of the fatty acids."

" Other changes were seen in growth rate and survival time and, thus, in the aging process.( Note 34)(Fig.74)[see book for photo, and note]
" At the same time, resistance to heat was seen to increase as the result of treatment with negative lipids, while it decreased after treatment with the positive sterols.(Note 35) The same influence upon the aging processes, as manifested in a prolongation of the life-span, was noted for polyunsaturated fatty acids with a long chain and even for some members of the saturated series but with a shorter chain."
END

The last part of the last sentence brought to mind lauric acid, a short carbon chain, saturated fatty acid; chemically, a carboxylic acid. This has activity against, at least, some yeast, fungi, and viruses, as well."

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been drinking coconut milk. Its got some sugar(1-2Grams) in it but for a while it seemed to make me feel better. Maybe helping with yeast & my immune system.

You can buy a real coconut if you don't want to go the canned route. Its a little hard to crack open & the meat is tough to get out of the shell.

For me the oconut oil makes me nauseated , but then what doesn't [Roll Eyes]

[ 16. January 2007, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: 5dana8 ]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

I ran across this the other day...

We make activated charcoal from coconut shells!

Just an interesting tidbit.

Activated charcoal is given in ERs as a slurry for some accidental poisonings and was once #3 in the "Universal Remedy".

Activated charcoal absorbs toxins.

I do NOT know the impact on the beneficial bacteria.

Picture in your mind's eye a NATURAL sponge. Each teeny tiny "grain" of activated charcoal has lots of places for toxins to bind to.

It is a mess to work with.

lymedesign
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8791

I was surprised to see a revival of an old post of mine. The timing is quite appropriate. I had been faithfully giving my daughter 1-3 tsp. a day of coconut oil after I read some many great things about it. Then, I started to slack alittle on all of her "extra" supplements.

For some reason, she has been waking up dizzy and nauseous in the middle of the night again. She did start pulsing flagyl 3 days a week the first week of December. Maybe this is why? However, I started to give her coconut oil on Monday of this week again.

Starting the New Year off right I promised myself. Lets get the immune system functioning as best we can. She is not feeling as bad a night this week. Maybe a coincidence, I don't know, but we are sticking with it!!

pq
Member # 6886

heres some links on coconut products.
http://coconutoil-online.com/

http://www.all-about-virgin-coconut-oil.com/

http://www.mercola.com/2001/mar/24/coconut_oil.htm

http://www.mercola.com/2003/sep/13/coconut_oil.htm

http://www24.netrition.com/nutiva_coconut_oil_page.html

www.tropicaltraditions.com

missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading all of this, it sounds like Coconut oil is very beneficial.

It causes herxes? How much do you have to take to cause a herx? What is the recommended daily amount to take?

Thanks!

Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
misex

If you are fighting yeast, I have heard some here say 4 tbsps daily. I never could get past one without an increase in my joint pain.

Buy only the extra virgin coconut oil It tastes really good unlike anything cheaper that I tried.
I purchase the Nutiva brand which is sold at my local healthfood store. I also use in on my hands and whenever I get a rash in my scalp, I rub it in and sleep with it. Somehow, it never makes my pillow greasy and the rash clears right up. I get the rash whenever I'm in the sun because I am on minocycline. Wearing a hat helps.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lundeliz
Member # 10806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lundeliz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me if cooking with the
coconut oil changes any of the properties or
benefits of the oil? Thanks

Posts: 72 | From SW Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement