LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Visual problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Visual problems
kl
Member # 10290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone that has after-images describe what they are. I think I'm getting them but aren't sure. They are a symptom of lyme right?
Posts: 8 | From virginia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisBtheLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisBtheLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I look at bright lights, like headlights or lightbulbs, candles, etc, the image stays in my vision for a while, but without color or anything... It's like looking at the sun then looking away, it has no contrast or color, but I can still see where it was.
It is a symptom of Lyme as I have met many people with the same thing and my LLMD said it is definitely a symptom.

Posts: 263 | From UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prismvision
Member # 9648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prismvision     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have terrible afterimages among MANY other visual problems because of the lyme...including snowy staticky sparkly stuff....especially when looking at the sky or pale colored walls...
tons of yukky visuals!!!

Heidi

Posts: 36 | From new york | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can be looking at a computer or television screen. Then look away, and for a few minutes, an imprint of the brighter areas of the image I was looking at on the screen, is now in my vision. I have to look through this imprint to actually see what I'm trying to look at. Very similar to looking through a photo negative.
Posts: 153 | From Watertown, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello KL, and welcome!

It sounds to me like you have 'palinopsia.' It's a trippy little thing that's little understood. Once I got over being terrified of it, I have to say it was one of my most intriguing lyme symptoms.

I believe that cerebral inflammation is at the root of it. So keep treating your lyme disease and it is going to go away. (And maybe your babesia too.)

There are a few more ominous causes but since you already know you have lyme, that's likely the culprit.

Here's an interesting link...

More About Palinopsia & Other Weird Vision Stuff

I wish you clear vision!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNhayley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNhayley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're not alone! And here I was, just writing off all that type of stuff as being "tired" or just ignoring it altogether.

How about the strobe light effect? Anybody have that?

The oddest thing is that so much comes and goes, and as soon as I think that it might be worth exploring, it goes away. Wish someone could explain that.

[dizzy] H

--------------------
"Data over dogma, Evidence over egos, Patients over politics" -- one smart dude from Missouri

Posts: 112 | From TN USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNhayley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNhayley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're not alone! And here I was, just writing off all that type of stuff as being "tired" or just ignoring it altogether.

How about the strobe light effect? Anybody have that?

The oddest thing is that so much comes and goes, and as soon as I think that it might be worth exploring, it goes away. Wish someone could explain that.

[dizzy] H

--------------------
"Data over dogma, Evidence over egos, Patients over politics" -- one smart dude from Missouri

Posts: 112 | From TN USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quic, You described exactly what happens to me
Only to add I have a strope effect on the periphery.

Ki, the after images for me are after looking at bright screens, white walls, reflection off cars, the ocean anything too brite.

Michelle, thanks for the most fascinating link.
Must read it again. Palinopsia? never heard it before.

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starrant
Member # 10149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starrant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much to all for your assistance! I think I can figure the process out now. Thanks again.
Posts: 33 | From Portsmouth, VA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Visual Afterimage Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The visual stuff is what first prompted me to visit my first duck. I had an MRI, a complete neuro exam, two opthamologist visits etc. Only to find out that they can't figure out what is causing the visual stuff. My biggest complain was the visual after images.

My visual after images can best be described as follows. I can look at a powerpoint presentation and then look at a white wall, and see the after image of the text for a good long time. I can also look at the drain in my shower (which has a white floor) and look at any other spot of the white floor and I can see the after image of the drain. It seems to stay centered in my vision, but slowly fades away. Clearly, this isn't the way your vision is supposed to behave! I also have experienced the snowy vision while looking at the blue sky. And the floaters came on suddenly and have not let up. I just got diagosed last thursday so I'm looking forward to my first round of abx. I will let you know if it helps the visual stuff that I have been dealing with for this long. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone when dealing with strange visual things. It sux, but it should go away!!

--------------------
26 months of treatment. And counting.......

Posts: 298 | From Northeast Kansas | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement