LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Reports from the 2006 LDA and ILADS conferences...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reports from the 2006 LDA and ILADS conferences...
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good afternoon all,
The first report just came in via Tincup on the Philly conferences thus far.

Today was the LDA meeting, and from what I have been told, it has been one of the most informative gatherings yet.

There were over 300 in attendance, with standing room only. Many representatives from across the country included Healthcare providers, Researchers and Advocates.

The presenters and presentations were very strong with much scientific backing. Reinforcing what we have suspected for years, and also introducing new findings.

From what I understand, most of the research has been focused on the various forms of Bb...

One study showed how cystic forms of Bb were stored for 6 years before placing them back into a growing medium. Within 4 to 5 weeks, live spirochetes were detected.

Another study focused on autopsy findings in mice and monkeys. The findings here were that in order of location prevalence; Bb first occupies the muscle tissues and bladder, and then goes after the heart.

There was a very detailed study on the specific strains of Bb and what ABX worked the best for each strain.

Another finding was that the OSPA of Bb occupies mainly the cystic form and therefore cannot be detected readily through testing.

It looks to be a very informative gathering, and I look forward to hearing more about the specifics later.

My best,
melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very interesting melanie [Smile]

Thanks so much for keeping us updated [kiss]

Blessings [Smile]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I forgot the best part...

A representative from John Hopkins gave a presentation about ALS. He explained on and on about how long it takes and how expensive it is to create new medications...

Sooo...his team decided to try and treat their ALS patients with existing medications that were already available.

Oddly enough, and very surprising to HIM...
IV Rocephin seemed to be of the most benefit to his ALS patients.

BUT, he didn't think that this had anything to do with Lyme...he really didn't know much about Lyme except...

it was curable with 2 weeks of Doxycycline!

TC said that it was a good thing that her truck had been "valet parked"... [Smile]

M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks very much for these reports.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, great information. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

It is encouraging that a doctor who treats ALS and knows nothing about Lyme was there and had something very interesting to present that appears to show an infectious etiology for ALS.

Very interesting info about grapefruit seed extract. I take that all the time for yeast, especially while on abx. Maybe I'm killing ketes too!!
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZIPMAN
Member # 8619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZIPMAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Melanie,Good to see you here!!

I am setting up a DSL and am barely on here ,on my old dialup.

Hope it works !!!

Rabbid Pup

Posts: 4 | From ZAP TOWN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for these updates and news from the conference! I hope we all hear more.

I am sorry to hear this report that cysts can "live" for at least 6 years.

Have been wondering how long they can stay viable for....Does this mean that we have to take abx for at least 6 years?

[Eek!]

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] Thanks Lyme Ed for your report

Sad to see they are using monkeys [Frown]

I hope they don't have to suffer too much

But I'll be dam@d. Grapefuit seed extract. Very interesting as I just started using that and have had pressure headache herxing much like my herx's with flagel & tinnie.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! Thanks!! The bladder, huh? I KNEW that already! [Big Grin]

grapefruit seed extract...now we have to be careful of drug interactions....

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the updates.

As far as cystic forms, and how long they can exist in the body....well I had latent lyme in my body for 10 years before a steroid shot activated it....

So, it seems to me that lyme can live dormant for 10+ years in the body. I was VERY healthy during that time.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, I agree with that. I had it go dormant on me for eons. [well, SORTA dormant]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=047635

In the above thread, I presented a novel abx regimen that would target all forms of Bbs.

quote:
He (Dr. S. Brorson) suggests combination therapies designed to target all forms of Bb.
I couldn't agree more with him and would go further to suggest that combination therapies designed to target not only all forms of Bb, but also all the co-infections.

Dave

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much grapefuit seed extract?

My LLMD won't know about this. I'd like someone who does know to talk about typical dosages, where you buy it, etc.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

David...combination therapy IS NOT NEW.

Jeff...any health food store has it

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happen to know MY LLMD and PA are at the conference, so I better start shopping for Grapeseed whatever.

I don't like the link between lyme and alzheimers-it's too close to home for me. [shake]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
strong caveat on mixing either grapefruit seed extract, or gingko biloba with doxycycline, and to allow days,at the least to clear doxycycline,and its metabolites from the body, before taking grpe. frt. sd. extr. or gingko bil.

[ 22. October 2006, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: pq ]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie, Tincup, and lyme Ed, thanks for your reports; looking forward to reading more updates.

I'd heard of grapefruit seed before..Bettyg [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, please more reports about the conference.....I would love to know every detail....you can PM...
Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to Melanie and Lyme Ed,(oops and if I missed anyone else)

Your reporting on the conference is VERY much appreciated. Intersesting stuff!

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Melanie for the information. I presume DVDs will be sold of the speeches? That would be great.

I agree with the caution about grapefruit seed extract - I've used it way back when for various things - yeast, mold, etc. but do we know for sure whether grapefruit seed extract works the same way as grapefruit and grapefruit juice?

I completely avoid any grapefruit or grapefruit juice when taking any medication - antibiotic or anything - because it suppresses the Cytochrome P450 detoxification pathway in the liver.

Even non abx medications such as cholesterol-lowering drugs have warnings about not mixing with grapefruit.

But I've always been sketchy about grapefruit seed extract, but always cautious and just presume it could do the same thing.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katcon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katcon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I was at the conference. Alot of scientific info, some of it went over my head.

The grapefruit seed extract info was very interesting. However, we do not know at what dose, and this testing was done outside of the body.

Hopefully Human Being will find out that info. We wanted to ask Dr. Brorson after the conference but did not get a chance.

I was sitting very close to Dr. Dave Martz and his wife Dee. Wonderful people and very compassionate. This couple is dedicated to the lyme community.

My lyme body and brain is paying for it today. I'm exhausted.

Hop

Posts: 175 | From Pa | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
of all the drugs & substances he has tested for treating Bb cyst forms, the most potent so far is ... Grapefruit Seed Extract!
The data may be solid, cause Dr. Brorson SH has been working on this area for many years and made big contribution to the abx treatment of Lyme disease. See his recent paper abstracts below:

An in vitro study of the activity of telithromycin against mobile and cystic forms of Borrelia afzelii.

* Brorson O,
* Brorson SH.

Department of Microbiology, Vestfold Sentralsykehus, Tonsberg, Norway.

In this study the new ketolide telithromycin was tested in vitro against motile and cystic forms of Borrelia afzelii, one of the species of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato. Acridine orange staining, dark field microscopy, and transmission electron microscopy were the techniques used to study the influence of telithromycin on the bacteria. The activity was unexpectedly high, 0.0003 microg/ml < MBC < or = 0.0006 microg/ml for the mobile forms after 7 days of incubation at 34 degrees C. MIC was < 0.00015 microg/ml. It is likely that the agent works bacteriostatically and kills in a time-dependent and concentration-independent way, by binding tightly to the ribosomes. The agent was not able to prevent cyst formation, and the cysts were not affect ed at an in vivo achievable concentration.Electron microscopy also supports the hypothesis of telithromycin being an effective agent against the mobile bacteria.

PMID: 16501899

An in vitro study of the susceptibility of mobile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi to tinidazole.

* Brorson O,
* Brorson SH.

Department of Microbiology, Vestfold Sentralsykehus, Tonsberg, Norway.

The susceptibility of mobile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi to tinidazole -TZ- was examined. The minimal bactericidal concentration -MBC- of TZ against the mobile spirochetes was >128 microg/ml at 37 degrees C in micro-oxic atmosphere when incubated for 14 days. TZ significantly reduced the conversion of mobile spirochetes to cystic forms during incubation. The MBC for older -10-months-old- cysts at 37 degrees C in a micro-oxic atmosphere was >0.5 microg/ml, but >0.125 microg/ml for young -1-day-old- cysts. Acridine orange staining, dark-field microscopy and transmission electron microscopy revealed that, when the concentration of TZ was > or = MBC, the contents of the cysts were partly degraded, core structures did not develop inside the young cysts, and the amount of RNA in these cysts decreased significantly. When cysts were exposed to TZ, both the spirochetal structures and core structures inside the cysts dissolved, and the production of blebs was significantly reduced. These observations may be valuable in the treatment of resistant infections caused by B. burgdorferi, and suggest that a combination of TZ and a macrolide antibiotic could eradicate both cystic and mobile forms of B. burgdorferi.

PMID: 15248163

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Thanks to each of you for your additional information!

Yes, I was told that a DVD WILL be made available of the LDA meeting yesterday, and the ILADS meeting tomorrow. Why there will not be one for the meeting today...well, we have no clue, and hope that is false information.

I would also like to echo the warning about trying ANYTHING -Rx or otherwise- that has NOT been approved by your healthcare provider!

And...I also noticed an error on my part:

``There was a very detailed study on the specific strains of Bb and what ABX worked the best for each strain.''

Forgive me...obviously Bb is ONE strain of Borellia. [Smile]

My best,
Melanie

Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks, all, for reports from the conference.

Really good, fascinating information!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe DVDs will be available of Friday's LDA event. There was no video of the presenters today. There will be tomorrow and I understand it will focus largely on treatment, testing, etc. and sounds like the DVD will be very useful.

As for the grapefruit seed extract, I personally would have little reservation about trying it. However, the comments were made in the context of an in-vitro experiment (outside the body) with no statement about whether or not the same effect might be seen internally. Though it may be worth a try, this should be taken in context of the experiment and not as a treatment recommendation.

To confirm for cave76, yes it was grapeFRUIT seed extract, not grape seed extract.

Today's sessions were much more applicable to the patient population in my opinion than much of the LDA event yesterday. However, I have not seen any breaking news that most/many of us here are not already aware of. Hopefully tomorrow....

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just superb stuff.

Amazing what great medical and research minds can do when they are interesting in helping us rather than harming us.

If only it were so in all circles.

I bow down to all attendees and LymeNet reporters!!

[bow]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

SForsgren said:
quote:
As for the grapefruit seed extract, I personally would have little reservation about trying it. However, the comments were made in the context of an in-vitro experiment (outside the body) with no statement about whether or not the same effect might be seen internally. Though it may be worth a try, this should be taken in context of the experiment and not as a treatment recommendation.
Yes, somebody got to try, otherwise, how do we know whether it is effective in vivo(in the body) for Lyme disease.

Remember, normally for an unknown bacterial infection, the bacteria would be recovered and cultured, then be tested against a panel of known antibiotics to find out which antibiotic will kill the bacteria in vitro. This is called Antibiotic Susceptibility Test.

If an effective abx is found, the abx will be given to the patient.

This procedure is agreed through the medical community.

Definitely, the abx has been gone through a series of in vitro tests according to FDA regulations:

These tests would include mutagenesis, carcinogenesis, toxicity, effectiveness using bacteria, yeast, cell culture, mouse model, monkey model, then preclinical trial and phase-I to III of clinical trial.

These tests are used to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of the new drug.

Once the benefits outweigh the side effects of the drug, the FDA would approve the useoA 350; the drug on human body ;.

In the case of grapefru 5353;t seed extract, the b ig concern is the toxiA 353;ty.

I'll  do more research on this ; If the toxicity is to lerable and I would exA 349;cted it would be less  than that of abx, I wou&# 65356;d like to try it.

Thanks for the informaAt&# 65353;on.

Dave

Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, in response to Dave's question above -- I can give you a totally subjective, personal and unscientific answer.

I have been taking GSE (which was already in the house, rarely used but fairly new) since reading this thread last night. Just two capsules last night, and one this morning, another this evening.

Irrational exuberance, perhaps, since the data was based only on an in-vitro test. But I figured it couldn't hurt much, since I had taken it in the past to stem yeast infections without problems.

Feel like I am herxing fairly strongly today. I have not had that feeling in several weeks, and after two bouts of lyme and several rounds of ABX treatments, believe that I recognize the symptoms of a die-off reaction. Just my experience, but wanted to share.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LYMESCIENCE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, the extract should be taken, but only by those of us who have extrodinairily broad knowledge bases concerning their disease, their medicines, and what to do in case of emergency.

If after these human tests are voluntarily done, only under a doctors supervision, then should the rest of the Lymnet community engage in using this as a drug.

I'm not against its use, but we must have reports in from TRUSTED members of the lymenet community. That includes adverse events, the age, sex, and location of those trying the medicine, and what other meds were taken with the extract.

We need trustable data, and data that is reproduceable, but knowing the Boroson's, I'd estimate the comment was made in the context of a plausable human consumed drug.

However, we must also take into account that they also produced a study confirming the anti cyst properties of Pepto Bismal. However, not that much Pepto Bismal is absorbed from the gastro tract..... this led to some quacks infusing Lymies with the stuff in Mexico, consequently, some people died.

Proceed with caution, not because the research is wrong, but because there are many variables involved in medicine, and only those with an extensive knowledge of the risks VOLUNTAIRILY taken, and under a doctors supervision, should start the "clinical" trials we so desperatly need.

Posts: 559 | From Cary, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Katcon...would you please edit out the dr's name? Thanks!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Vermont_Lymie, thanks for sharing your experience on GSE.

Grapefruit Seed Extract

Grapefruit seed extract (GSE) is a natural broad-spectrum antibiotic. It has also been shown effective against some viruses and Candida yeast. This extract has been studied for use against Staphylococcus (Staph), Streptococcus (Strep), Salmonella, Chlamydia trachomatis, Herpes simplex 1, Influenza A2, and the measles virus. It can also be used as a non-toxic hand sanitizer. A Brazilian study found it to be almost as effective for skin disinfection as commercially available surgical soap.

Note: Those sensitive to citrus can develop an allergy to grapefruit seed.

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Pharmazie. 1999 Jun;54(6):452-6. Related Articles, Links

Aspects of the antimicrobial efficacy of grapefruit seed extract and its relation to preservative substances contained.

von Woedtke T, Schluter B, Pflegel P, Lindequist U, Julich WD.

Institute of Pharmacy, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany.

The antimicrobial efficacy as well as the content of preservative agents of six commercially available grapefruit seed extracts were examined. Five of the six extracts showed a high growth inhibiting activity against the test germs Bacillus subtilis SBUG 14, Micrococcus flavus SBUG 16, Staphylococcus aureus SBUG 11, Serratia marcescens SBUG 9, Escherichia coli SBUG 17, Proteus mirabilis SBUG 47, and Candida maltosa SBUG 700. In all of the antimicrobial active grapefruit seed extracts, the preservative benzethonium chloride was detected by thin layer chromatography. Additionally, three extracts contained the preserving substances triclosan and methyl parabene. In only one of the grapefruit seed extracts tested no preservative agent was found. However, with this extract as well as with several self-made extracts from seed and juiceless pulp of grapefruits (Citrus paradisi) no antimicrobial activity could be detected (standard serial broth dilution assay, agar diffusion test). Thus, it is concluded that the potent as well as nearly universal antimicrobial activity being attributed to grapefruit seed extract is merely due to the synthetic preservative agents contained within. Natural products with antimicrobial activity do not appear to be present.

PMID: 10399191 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that is a shocker. It is the preservative not the grapefruit seed extract?
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Development and validation of an HPLC/UV/MS method for simultaneous determination of 18 preservatives in grapefruit seed extract

Ganzera M, Aberham A, Stuppner H
Source: JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND FOOD CHEMISTRY 54 -11-: 3768-3772 MAY 31 2006

Abstract: Grapefruit seed extracts are used in cosmetics, food supplements, and pesticides because of their antimicrobial properties, but suspicions about the true nature of the active compounds arose when synthetic disinfectants such as benzethonium or benzalkonium chloride were found in commercial products. The HPLC method presented herein allows the quality assessment -qualitative and quantitative- of these products for the first time. On the basis of a standard mixture of 18 preservatives most relevant for food and grapefruit products, a method was developed allowing the baseline separation of all compounds within 40 min. Optimum results were obtained with a C-8 stationary phase and a solvent system comprising aqueous trifluoroacetic acid, acetonitrile, and 2-propanol. The assay was fully validated and shown to be sensitive -LOD <= 12.1 ng on-column-, accurate -recovery rates >= 96.1%-, repeatable -sigma-rel- <= 3.5%-, precise -intra-day variation <= 4.5%, interday variation <= 4.1%-, and rugged. Without any modifications the method could be adopted for LC-MS experiments, where the compounds of interest were directly assignable in positive ESI mode. The quantitative results of several products for ecofarming confirmed previous studies, as seven out of nine specimens were adulterated with preservatives in varying composition. The samples either contained benzethonium chloride -2.5-176.9 mg/mL- or benzalkonium chloride -138.2-236.3 mg/ mL-,together with smaller amounts of 4-hydroxybenzoic acid esters, benzoic acid, and salicylic acid.

Addresses: Ganzera M -reprint author-, Innsbruck Univ, Inst Pharm, Inrain 52, Innsbruck, A-6020 Austria
Innsbruck Univ, Inst Pharm, Innsbruck, A-6020 Austria

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Identification of benzalkonium chloride in commercial grapefruit seed extracts
Takeoka GR, Dao LT, Wong RY, Harden LA
Source: JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND FOOD CHEMISTRY 53 --19--: 7630-7636 SEP 21 2005

Abstract: Commercial grapefruit seed extracts --GSE-- were extracted with chloroform. The solvent was evaporated, and the resulting solid was subsequently analyzed by high-performance liquid chromatography --HPLC--, electrospray ionization mass spectrometry --ESI/MS--, tandem mass spectrometry --ESI/MS/MS--, and elemental analysis --by proton-induced X-ray emission analysis--. Three major constituents were observed by HPLC and were identified as benzyldimethyldodecylammonium chloride, benzyldimethyltetradecylammonium chloride, and benzyldimethylhexadecylammonium chloride. This mixture of homologues is commonly known as benzalkonium chloride, a widely used synthetic antimicrobial ingredient used in cleaning and disinfection agents.

Addresses: Takeoka GR --reprint author--, USDA, ARS, Western Reg Res Ctr, 800 Buchanan St, Albany, CA 94710 USA
USDA, ARS, Western Reg Res Ctr, Albany, CA 94710 USA

micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question: Is it actually the preservative that has the antimicobial power, or is it merely that it is keeping intact the antimicrobial power of the GSE...that it is keeping it from oxidizing and loosing it's strength? I think that it is the latter.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

There is alot of useful information coming back from the conference other than the GSE> I don't want to harp but share with you all my personal experinces .

For what its worth I take GSE but pusle it.

The only side effect I notice is dry eye.

I only take one at present in the am.(not a large dose)

I am on NO other meds at this point or herbs. Just my usual some supps & my rife. Yes. It could be a herx from my rife but never had this herx symptom non stop before from the rife.

Usually I herx for 3-4 days when I rife . Wait for the herx to clear then rife again. A definite pattern.

The GSE I have been having head pressure & headaches from it on & off everyday since I started the GSE. Is it a real herx or a side effect from this supplument? Its anyones guess.

****I think EVRYONE should talk to their LLMD before starting any herb or supp.*****

I do not have a LLMD thanks to the medical boards now & am self treating.

Take care

--------------------
5dana8

Dave6002
Member # 9064

did you know it?
Benzethonium chloride in extracts of grapefruit seeds
 -

In 1997 the cantonal laboratories of Basle have detected high concentrations of benzethonium chloride in various extracts of grapefruit seeds and subsequently withdrawn the incriminated products from the market. These extracts are recommended as alternative medicines for a broad range of ailments, and there is an increasing demand for these extracts by the general public.

Benzethonium chloride is a disinfectant contained mainly in cleansing agents but also in locally active medications .

Cationic detergents are more toxic than other detergents. Toxicity of concentrated solutions is based upon their caustic action and upon their systemic toxic effects. Symptoms after dermal application of a concentrated solution are irritation, dermatitis, and bullous lesions. Contamination of the eye may lead from mild discomfort to corneal lesions depending on the concentration. Oral application of concentrated solutions leads to caustic burns of the oral and esophageal mucosa, nausea, emesis, abdominal pain, diarrhea, pulmonary edema, hypotension, metabolic acidosis, and depression of the central nervous system , seizures, and death. Ingestion of small amounts of a diluted solution <<0.1%> is not likely to cause acute effects.

Grapefruit seed extracts containing benzethonium chloride in concentrations of 7-11% represent a major health risk if larger amounts of a concentrated solution are ingested . Exposure of the skin or the eye may cause toxic symptoms. There are no symptoms to be expected if only a few drops diluted in water are ingested.

7-11-2005 hku

trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for more news and tired insomiacs just getting back!
Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNhayley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNhayley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoping for new news soon, but in the meantime, I was just researching drugs for clinicals and ran across this on wikipedia:

This page has a list of drugs that are known to be affected by grapefruit .

These interactions are generally caused by the fruit's naringin, bergamottin, and dihydroxybergamottin interfering with the enzyme cytochrome P450 isoform CYP3A4 in the intestine.

However, bioactive compounds in grapefuit juice may also interefer with p-glycoprotein and organic anion transporting polypeptides (OATPs) either increasing or decreasing bioavailability of a number of drugs.

The list is ordered by its most common chemical name, followed by alternate chemical names and various trade names.

This is an incomplete list and should not be used to verify whether a drug is safe

The following drugs definitely interact with CYP3A4:

Bupropion, amfebutamone, Wellbutrin (Welbutrin) - rxlist.com

Paroxetine, paroxetine hydrochloride, Paxil, Seroxat, Aropax, Pondera, Deroxat, Cebrilin - mentalhealth.com

Valproate semisodium, divalproex sodium, Depakote, Epival - stanford.edu

Benzodiazepines, including: alprazolam (Xanax), diazepam (Valium), midazolam (Versed), lorazepam (Ativan), oxazepam, and chlordiazepoxide (Librium).

Additional drugs found to be affected by grapefruit juice include

Statins such as atorvastatin, lovastatin, and simvastatin

Dihydropyridines including felodipine (Plendil), nicardipine (Cardene), difedipine, nisoldipine (Sular), nitrendipine (Bayotensin), losartin (Cozaar), repaglinide (Prandin), verapamil (Calan SR, Covera HS, Isoptin SR, Verelan)

Antiarrhythmics including amiodarone (Cordarone), quinidine (Quinidex, Cardioquin, Quinora), disopyramine (Norpace), propafenone (Rhythmol), and carvediol

The male impotence drugs sildenafil (Viagra), tadalafil (Cialis), and vardenafil (Levitra)

The anti-migrane drugs ergotamine (Cafergot, Ergomar) and nimodipine (Nimotop)

Hayley

--------------------
"Data over dogma, Evidence over egos, Patients over politics" -- one smart dude from Missouri

Posts: 112 | From TN USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Makes you wonder just what is going on.

Are observable changes from GSE caused also by modifying the effects of other drugs too?

Might be more than one explanation then.

aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using a nasal spray with grape seed extract for about the last six months. It is the best product I've ever used for sinus problems.

You can get information on it at www.nutribiotic.com

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LYMESCIENCE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was wonderful information posted. Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Because I have read such broad ranges of scientific literature, I can infer another use for the extract based upon David's Post.

Let me read them once more, just to make sure I understand correctly, all of the science.

Then, I'll link together a completely different part of medical science for why this herb could serve a double purpose, and a much needed double purpose at that.

Thanks Dave, and others for taking what I had to say, and putting your words into science. It bennifits us all!

Gimme a day or so, to specify the peramaters of my search, so I can post some correlary information. Others, can take that information and find other connections.......my friends, this is evolution in action.

Lyme, shmime, that SOB of an infection is going down for the count, and here at Lymenet, we're gonna keep giving left and right hooks until the last bell sounds.

Posts: 559 | From Cary, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summerlove
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summerlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is from wikipedia.com
Grapefruit can have a number of interactions with certain drugs, increasing the potency of many compounds. Grapefruit has components that inhibit the production of a particular enzyme in the liver. Thus, it is this effect that increases the rate of absorption of several drugs.

That being said.. I am 100% sure that GSE killed a nasty sinus infection I had. I wasn't on any other drugs.
I was told it is antimicrobial, antifungal, and antiviral. I used the liquid GSE and puts drops of it into empty capsules. It tastes bad if you put it in water but is very concentrated in the drop-form. Don't get it on your skin w/out diluting it first, or it will get irritated. I also soak my toothbrush in a GSE solution and use it to clean, kill mold spores etc. It is very acidic

[ 23. October 2006, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: summerlove ]

Posts: 117 | From . | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summerlove
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summerlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's more GSE info.

http://www.nutribiotic.com/GSELiquid.htm

Posts: 117 | From . | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Using the Nutribiotic product for a while. No
preservatives, long shelf life. Dried,ground
dissolved in purified water, distilled etc.
Got a bit nervous when I read this so I called them. Product has been around for 30yrs.

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by summerlove:
Here's more GSE info.

http://www.nutribiotic.com/GSELiquid.htm

I have the GSE liguid too. Be careful with it and mix it carefully. For nasal spray it says to put one drop into an ounce of water. I accidentally put two drops in and it really burned.

I also have the throat spray which works good when I feel like I'm getting a cold.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertAS
Member # 10444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RobertAS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JeffM:
How much grapefuit seed extract?

My LLMD won't know about this. I'd like someone who does know to talk about typical dosages, where you buy it, etc.

I have been using the Nutribiotic GSE line both as a topical and internal "germ killer" for a couple of years. I train in Danzan Ryu Jujitsu (grappling), and have seen / contracted some bugs from the constant contact. We started cleaning the mats with diluted GSE and I found out it was available as a health supplement and have been using it both internally and on my skin ever since. I use the Nutribiotic line. I don't know about how it compares to others. I started using this first and haven't found a reason to change.

Simply put, the stuff works. Any skin irritation I have gets a few sprays and it goes away within days. I haven't had any staph or other weird bug since we started using it. I also use the Nutribiotic Defense plus cold preventative along with the nasal spray all winter. It works.

I`m a www shopper and have found www.allhealthtrends.com to be the quickest shipper. I haven't been able to find it cheaper anywhere else.

I was initially skeptical, but have seen it work on my own skin.

Best Regards

Posts: 1 | From Yuba City, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virginia of Yore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virginia of Yore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those wanting to try Grapefruit Seed Extract might want to be aware of this 1999 study which found it was the *preservatives* in GSE that seemed to be responsible for the antimicrobial effect. I've used it (a couple of different brands) along with my abx combos--it has been no cure for me. (Sorry if the spacing below is messed up --something's awry in my cut/paste computer dept.)

Pharmazie 1999 Jun;54(6):452-6
Aspects of the antimicrobial efficacy of grapefruit seed extract and its
relation to preservative substances contained.

von Woedtke T, Schluter B, Pflegel P, Lindequist U, Julich WD.

Institute of Pharmacy, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany.

The antimicrobial efficacy as well as the content of preservative agents of six commercially
available grapefruit seed extracts were examined. Five of the six extracts showed a high
growth inhibiting activity against the test germs Bacillus subtilis SBUG 14, Micrococcus
flavus SBUG 16, Staphylococcus aureus SBUG 11, Serratia marcescens SBUG 9,
Escherichia coli SBUG 17, Proteus mirabilis SBUG 47, and Candida maltosa SBUG 700.
In all of the antimicrobial active grapefruit seed extracts, the preservative benzethonium
chloride was detected by thin layer chromatography. Additionally, three extracts contained
the preserving substances triclosan and methyl parabene. In only one of the grapefruit seed
extracts tested no preservative agent was found. However, with this extract as well as with
several self-made extracts from seed and juiceless pulp of grapefruits (Citrus paradisi) no
antimicrobial activity could be detected (standard serial broth dilution assay, agar diffusion
test). Thus, it is concluded that the potent as well as nearly universal antimicrobial activity
being attributed to grapefruit seed extract is merely due to the synthetic preservative agents
contained within. Natural products with antimicrobial activity do not appear to be present.

PMID: 10399191 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 193 | From Virginia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virginia of Yore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virginia of Yore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, guys! I hadn't noticed this was a two page posting thread, and posted the above article (already posted on page two of this thread) after reading the first page only...duh. Bedtime for Bonzo.
Posts: 193 | From Virginia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Virginia of Yore:
[QB] Those wanting to try Grapefruit Seed Extract might want to be aware of this 1999 study which found it was the *preservatives* in GSE that seemed to be responsible for the antimicrobial effect. I've used it (a couple of different brands) along with my abx combos--it has been no cure for me.

The grapefruit seed extract that I have doesn't have any preservatives in it. It's the best thing I've ever used to clear up sinus problems.

Kathy

--------------------

humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I haven't given my report but took me awhile to recover and to be honest...there is so much to tell but I don't have the best brainpower to put it together...

Here are some highlights

FROM LDA Conference:

"Emerging Infections: universal Biosensor Detection"

Scientists from Isis Pharmaceutical in CA are developing a revolutionary PCR testing method which will be able to identify an infectious microbe within 6 hours of inserting the sample...

Bb and coinfections are on the hit list.. but this technology is developed primarily for the super bugs like MRSA, and other bad hosp infections...

-----------------------

"Beta-Lactam Antibodies offer Neuroprotection by Increasing Glutamate Transporter Expression"

Neurologist from John Hopkins. His team focuses mostly on ALS-funded by the NIH. "Glutamate is the principal excitatory neurotranmitter in the nervous system." When synaptic glutamate is not functioning it results in acute and chronic neurological disorders including ALS, stroke , etc...

They used a blinded screen of 1040 approved drugs from all classes to see which if any could affect the expression of GLT1 and its functional activity...it was shocking to them that ceftriaxon or b-lactoms as a class came out on top...

"Ceftriaxone was neuro-protective in vitro when used in ischaemic injury or neruon degeneration...when used in an animal model of ALS, the drug delayed loss of neurons aned muscle strengh and increased mouse survival.

"Thus these studies provide a class of potential neurotherapeutics that act to modulate the expression of glutamate neurotransmitter transporters via gene activation."

(We all guessed this would happen)

-------------------------

"Laboratory Diagnosis of Lyme Disease in Europe"
This Austrian dermatologists discussed how LB is more difficult to diagnosi in Surope because of the heterogenetiy of borrelia sp. comprising seven Osp A serotypes. B. afzelii is the most often detected followed by B. gerinii and Bb sensu stricto.

The German society of microbiology has published guidelines...they also use methods of blood, tissue and other fluid PCR but mostly the EM...

They also use a two tiered system and as far as getting treatment if you don't have a positive test...forget it.

----------------------------

"Babesia microti Causes Down Regulation of Cytokines and Increased Severity of Lyme Arthritis"

From Kansas, Dept of Dianostic Med/Pathobiology, Vet Medicine...this professor studies mice comparing severity of illness in just Bb or Babesia and Bb...

Significant increases in severity of carditis and arthritis were found in coinfected mice. Also, cytokine levels were measured in lymph nodes and spleen for interferon gamma and tumor necrosis factor ans well as Interleukin 4 and 10...

Also, sig increase of the tumor necrosis factor and reduction in the expression of interleukin 4 seen in coinfected mice.
-------------------------------------------
Taking a break be back soon...

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Continued from LDA Conference:

"Tissue Response to Chronic Borrelia Infectin"

This Prof. of Neurology did money and mice studies. Basically he found that monkeys are less susceptible to persisitent infection than mice.

"The most important response of mammalian hosts to infection is the production of specific antibody that in the majority of cases clears the infection. The failure of ths antibody response leads to persistant infection, which can lead to tissue injury most notably in the heart."

Other tid bits from him...he works with the NIH...majority of his patient practise if with MS. When asked if he saw LD among his MS pts he said "I am much more likely to see LD that is really MS" (I am not kiddin ya)

----------------------

"Medical Hypothesis: Links Between Bb and Dementia"

This awsome pathologist from NY. He was the first investigator in the world to invoke the concept of the "cyst" form for Borrelia based on model pf Treponemal kete cyst form. He was the first investigator to publish images of Bb ketes without corkscrw...

He showed awsome slides, here is his site:
http://www.molecularalzheimer.org/

His slides of plaques of alzheimers disease look exactly like plaques seen in syphillis and LD.

His paper "Plaques of Alzheimer's disease originate from cysts of Bb, the Lyme disease spirochete" was published in "medical Hypotheses Vol 67 issue 3 pg592.

---------------------------------

Be back later...time for dinner [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Thanks Humanbeing

Great job & awesome photos! [woohoo]

--------------------
5dana8

lou
Member # 81

The part about monkeys being less susceptible to persistent infection than mice.....

I wonder how they infected those monkeys? It has been noticed that needle infected animals are less likely to get the full force of an infection. This is because tick saliva contains compounds that catalyze the infection process. So, if the monkeys were needle infected from a culture of spirochetes which presumably did not include the saliva, then this could be an explanation for what the researcher observed. Seems it would be premature to say monkeys are less susceptible, especially if they were needle infected.

humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

"Cystic Forms and Antimicrobial Therapy"
This Microbiologist from Norway had great slides of all the forms of Bb including up to 5 structurally differnet bacteria.

"Blebs arranged as strings of pearls melted together to form thin filamentous structures. Within some cysts, spirochestes appeared to multiply. Core structures within some cysts appeared to produce blebs."

"Cyst formation has also been demonstrated in the presence of antibiotcs, complement, lysozyme, H202 and when exposed to antibiotics, cysts can be induced both in vitro and in vivo. Using silver impregnation and immunochemical staining, cystic material has been demonstrated in every animal and human tissue infected by Bb."

He found that cystic forms were sensitive invitro to metronidazole and tinidazole...also hydroxychloroquine and bismuth in an invivo achievable concentration.

"We are now treating patients with chronic lyme disease with a combination of metronidazole, tinidazole, or hydroxychloroquine in combination with a macrolid or doxycylin. Results are promising."

--------------------------------

"Looking Beyond Lyme: Differential Diagnosis"

This talk was from a prominent chief of ID in NY. He was very good natured about the "camps" and whatnot. Treats a lot of lyme but also works patients up for a million other things...here is a list of what I could write fast enough:

ciliac
neoplasia (GI cancer)
Lymphoma
acute coronary syndrome
rheumatic fever

Toxins
stachybotrys (black mold)
others...

Genetic
HLA B27
Ant CCP
Unrecognized congenital immune deficiency

Collagen Vascular Disease
lupus anticoagulant

Endocrine Conditions
Hashimotos Thyroiditis
Addison's
Crohns

Other
Sarcoidoisis
Sleep apnea

Infectious
parasitic
trichamonis (pork parasite)

Viral
HIV, HepB/C, Parvovirus
Dengue, Rubella, Measles, EBV

Bacterial
Endocarditis
Ricketsia
Strep A
Bartonella
Brucellosis
Neisseria
Chlamydia
Mycoplasma
Tularemia

Get a PCR for EBV

------------------------------------------

--------------------

www.ruggierogallery.com

5dana8
Member # 7935

Thanks Human! [Smile]

--------------------
5dana8

JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well now...what a delightfully refreshing post.
I feel as if I walked into the Valley Of Knowledge...

Seriously...Melanie...thank you for this info, and thanks to all the rest of YOUZE GUYZ and GOILS for da stuff yuze put in hea.

VERY INTERESTING!!!

Note: Grapefruit Seed Extract does not necessarily have the same properties as Grapefruit Juice, etc.

From the rebuttal studies Dave noted, it looks like the Seed has not flowered into a promised treatment.

However...we do not know the purity of the GSE that was used in the research, ie., did the sample contain the preservatives or not?

HUH??? DID IT??? WELL...I am not hearing any answers out there!

Could someone contact the Dr. responsible? I do not know who he or she is, or I sure as H... would.

This was truly a great post...the type we should have here alla da tyme....

Tanks!

Peace, Love and Wellness,
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up...this is an important post!
Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nellypointis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody tried to crush grapefruit seeds themselvesand put the mush directly onto a plate with bacteria growing in it?

In that way you have the strength of the fresh GSE but not the possible presertvatives that are supposed to preserve the potency of the GSE, but that may also be the only active antibacterial agents in the industial made GSE.

Crushing Grapefruit seeds is not a task requiring great skill.

Maybe the Brorson could do this for us all. They've got the slides with the bugs, the know how, I'll offer to go to Norway to crush the seeds myself if need be (never been to Norway, might like it, if carrying my bag of grapefruits around doesn't get to me after a while:))

Nelly

Note: Grapefruit Seed Extract does not necessarily have the same properties as Grapefruit Juice, etc.

From the rebuttal studies Dave noted, it looks like the Seed has not flowered into a promised treatment.

However...we do not know the purity of the GSE that was used in the research, ie., did the sample contain the preservatives or not?

HUH??? DID IT??? WELL...I am not hearing any answers out there!

Could someone contact the Dr. responsible? I do not know who he or she is, or I sure as H... would.

This was truly a great post...the type we should have here alla da tyme....

Tanks!

Peace, Love and Wellness,
JRW [/QB][/QUOTE]

Posts: 416 | From france | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement