LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Garlic hepatotoxicity: safe dose of garlic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Garlic hepatotoxicity: safe dose of garlic
Dave6002
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trop Gastroenterol. 2006 Jan-Mar;27[1]:26-30.

Garlic hepatotoxicity: safe dose of garlic.

Rana SV, Pal R, Vaiphei K, Singh K.

Department of Gastroenterology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and
Research, Chandigarh. [email protected]

Information on the effect of garlic on the liver and optimal dose of garlic to
avoid liver damage is not known. This study was planned to determine the safe
dose of garlic. Male wistar rats [110-170g] were fed fresh garlic homogenate
[FSH] orally in three different doses [1.0, 2.5 and 5.0 g/kg body weight/day]
daily for 28 days. Liver histology, serum transaminases, bilirubin and alkaline
phosphatase were estimated at 0, 14, 21 and 28 days in control and experimental
animals. 1.0, 2.5 and 5.0 g/kg body weight/day of garlic showed significant
[P<0.001] deterioration in liver function tests [LFT's] after 21, 14 and 7 days
respectively. A 1.0 g/kg body weight/day dose of garlic was associated with
marked histological damage in liver after 21 days. Therefore, three lower doses
of garlic [0.1, 0.25 and 0.5 g/kg body weight/day] were given orally to another
group of similar rats to determine the safe dose of garlic. LFT's were serially
measured and animals were sacrificed on the 29th day of experiment. All three
lower doses showed significant deterioration in the LFT's values of animals
after 28 days of feeding the freshly prepared garlic homogenate. Both doses of
garlic i.e. 0.1 and 0.25 g/kg body weight/day were associated with normal
histology of liver, but 0.5 g/kg body weight/day dose of garlic showed
morphological changes in the liver of one animal. Therefore, the present study
suggests that garlic with high dose has the potential ability to induce liver
damage and low doses [0.1 or 0.25 g / kg body weight/day] are safe doses of
garlic.

PMID: 16910057

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nellypointis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So basically, no more than 7-14g/day for a 70kg individual.

That's very interesting because 14g of garlic a day (wet not dry extract) is not a lot of garlic, 3 or 4 cloves per day approx.

They are not saying why it might cause liver damage, what ingredient might be the problem, nor whether the damage might be temporary, is it reversible if you stop feeding the rats garlic or what might happen to the rats'liver if you just kept on feeding them that same amount of garlic?

Nelly

Posts: 416 | From france | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
0.25 g garlic per kg body weight (max. safe dose according to article, for about a month, but longer range effects are not noted)

one pound = 0.454 kg

100 pounds = 45.4 kg

0.25 g garlic x 45.4 kg body weight = 11.35 grams garlic maximum

one Eclectic Institute freeze dried garlic = 550 mg garlic ( = 0.55 g garlic)

two Eclectic Institute freeze dried garlic = 1100 mg ( = 1.1 g)

So, for a 100 pound person, 2 Ecl. Inst. capsules are within safe range.

Directions on bottle are 1-3 capsules a day.

I am 115 lbs, and ND kinesiology tested for 2 capsules a day.

(please feel free to correct math if in error.....raging cold in head)

---------
Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Effect of garlic on isoniazid and rifampicin-induced hepatic injury in rats
Author[s]: Pal R [Pal, Ravinder], Vaiphei K [Vaiphei, Kim], Sikander A [Sikander, Arbab], Singh K [Singh, Kartar], Rana SV [Rana, Satya V.]
Source: WORLD JOURNAL OF GASTROENTEROLOGY 12 [4]: 636-639 JAN 28 2006
Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 24 Times Cited: 2 Find Related Records Information
Abstract: AIM: To evaluate the hepatoprotective effect of garlic on liver injury induced by isoniazid [INH] and rifampicin [RIF].

METHODS: Wistar rats weighing 150-200 g were treated orally with 50 mg/kg of INH and RIF daily each for 28 d. For hepatoprotective studies, 0.25 g/kg per day of freshly prepared garlic homogenate was administered orally half an hour before the INH+RIF doses. Serum alanine aminotransferase [ALT], aspartate aminotransferase [AST] and bilirubin were estimated on d 0, 14, 21, and 28 in all the rats. Histological analysis was carried out to assess the injury to the liver. Lipid peroxidation [LPO] as a marker of oxidative stress and non-protein thiols [glutathione] for antioxidant levels were measured in liver homogenate.

RESULTS: The treatment of rats with INH+RIF [50 mg/kg per day each] induced hepatotoxicity in all the treated animals as judged by elevated serum ALT, AST, and bilirubin levels, presence of focal hepatocytic necrosis [6/8] and portal triaditis [8/8]. Garlic simultaneously administered at a dose of 0.25 g/kg per day prevented the induction of histopathological injuries in INH+RIF co-treated animals, except in 4 animals, which showed only moderate portal triaditis. The histological changes correlated with oxidative stress in INH+RIF treated animals. The group which received 0.25 g/kg per day garlic homogenate along with INH+RIF showed higher levels of glutathione [P<0.05] and low levels of LPO [P< 0.05] as compared to INH+RIF treated group.

CONCLUSION: Freshly prepared garlic homogenate protects against INH+RIF-induced liver injury in experimental animal model.

Rana SV [reprint author], PGIMER, Dept Gastor, Chd, House 137,Sector 15-A, Chandigarh 160015, India
Postgrad Inst Med Educ & Res, Dept Gastroenterol, Chandigarh 160012, India
Postgrad Inst Med Educ & Res, Dept Pathol, Chandigarh 160012, India
E-mail Addresses: [email protected]

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Hi, Nelly,

The authors may have more answers.

The E-mail Addresses: [email protected]

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Increased anti-oxidative potency of garlic by spontaneous short-term fermentation

Author(s): Sato E (Sato, Emiko), Kohno M (Kohno, Masahiro), Hamano H (Hamano, Hamasuke), Niwano Y (Niwano, Yoshimi)
Source: PLANT FOODS FOR HUMAN NUTRITION 61 (4): 157-160 DEC 2006

Abstract: Fundamental anti-oxidative properties of 80% ethanol extract from garlic fermented for the relatively short period of time (40 days at 60-70 degrees C, 85-95% relative humidity) were examined. Superoxide dismutase (SOD)-like activity, scavenging activity against hydrogen peroxide and the polyphenol content of the garlic extract were increased 13-folds, more than 10-folds, and 7-folds, respectively, as compared with those of the control garlic extract. The results indicate that relatively short-term spontaneous fermentation potentiates anti-oxidative properties of garlic in fresh form, which is, at least in part, attributable to the increased level of polyphenols. Since superoxide is the primary upstream radical of the chain reaction with reactive oxygen species and hydrogen peroxide is generated from the scavenging reaction by SOD, the fermented-garlic is suggested to possess desirable anti-oxidative properties.

Addresses: Niwano Y (reprint author), Sunny Hlth Co Ltd, Res Ctr Funct Food Mat, Saito Biotechnol Incubator, 7-7-15 Saito Asagi, Osaka 5670085, Japan
Genki Hamano Shokuhin Kogyo Co Ltd, Owase, Mie 5193672 Japan
Tohoku Univ, New Ind Creat Hatchery Ctr, Aoba Ku, Sendai, Miyagi 9808579 Japan
E-mail Addresses: [email protected]

nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nellypointis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dave,

so there's a fine line btwn pleasure and pain as far as garlic goes, but for rats 0.25 g/Kg seems quite a good dose, that's about 14g/day, approx 3 raw cloves/day for an average size adult. I wonder if that'll be enough allicin to have any serious antibacterial effects.

We crushed 2 heads of garlic (approx 30 cloves)with a tiny bit of water and I then made icecubes from the liquid mush.

We have been trying different ways of taking the garlic (pretty hard even for a French girl and her French husband!).

We have decided on one icecube in a glass of thick tomato juice 3 times per day after food.

I can tell you that if the allicin potential can be measured by how it stings when you take the garlic, freezing it hasn't dampened its sting at all (says she with tears rolling down her face!)

I have stopped all abx for the time being, still on lariam once per week
Nelly

Posts: 416 | From france | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets remember that what's bad for a rat may not directly translate to what's bad for a human, at least in terms of g/kg body weight. This study shows that there can be problems arising from high quantities of garlic, but we shouldn't conclude that it tells us how much of it will affect human livers the same way.

on another topic,
I've been taking a lot of garlic for candida problems (taking raw cloves, crushing in a garlic press, and stuffing the result into capsules, which I don't recommend as it's a royal pain to do). Garlic is an emetic (makes you puke if you have enough of it raw) and I"m quite surprised now that it's making me nauseous even in capsule form. I always assumed it was the taste that was partly responsible for the nausea.

on the other hand, the capsule method is keeping me from having garlic breath.

I'm going to try garlic juice but haven't gotten a juicer yet. Are you guys who are doing juice experiencing any nausea?

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

You are welcome, Nelly.

Have you read the two threads:
Topic: Update: Garlic juice is working?

and

Topic: Are there ANY garlic supplements worth buying?

I used a lot of soup to dilute the garlic juice (about one tea spoon) at meal, I didn't feel any uncomfortable.

To my opinion, garlic juice may be more effective and doesn't produce the disgusting odor in my case.

I am also not using heavy dosage of abx, just started 50mg Mino and 500mg Tini per day.

I am also taking one TSP of Artemisia annua powder daily to control Babesia.

Since started garlic juice, my symptoms reduced greatly. Right now I am almost normal. Just some residual symptoms, which are quite tolerable.

However, my sole pains have come back, I'm considering starting Rifampin soon.

Take care.

Dave

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Hi, Maria,

I totally agree with you on that the toxicity study just provided a clue that at high dose, garlic could cause toxicity, but the amount cannot be applied directly to human.

I didn't feel nauseous after taking garlic juice, just felt a little uncomfortable, probably due to that the garlic juice was highly diluted.

Dave

ticktrixter
Member # 10849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticktrixter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I ask what anyone's educated guess might be as to any potential toxicity of 4 150mg Hepapro allicin caps 2x/day (8 caps/day)?

Thanks.

Posts: 3 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, perhaps one of our resident lymie-scientists could provide some insight one one or more of the sulfur compounds w/rt to liver toxicity by examining their molecular structures?

any insights much appreciated. [bow] [Wink]

This is from carl pfeifer's(spell.off) book,entitled, "Zinc and other Micro minerals"(or similar title).

Been looking at the molecular structures of sulfur compounds in garlic, onion, skunk odors and asparagus, and found that two sulfur compounds in onion, responsible for flavor, are virtually identical to the molecular structure of Allicin in garlic, one more so than the other.

The first two onion structures are two flavors in onion.

Onion Structures:

CH3-CH2-S-S-CH2-CH2-CH3

*CH3-CH2-S-S-CH=CH2

Garlic Structure: *CH2=CH-CH2-S-S-CH=CH2

The similarity of the two onion structures to allicin's structure suggests similar anti-bacterial activity.
So, one question would be,"What preparations of onion would contain a maximum amount of these structures.
The goal would be 20mg. each of these two onion structures, or 10mg., each of the two onion structures?
Oil of onion?

Other structure in onion:
CH3-CH=S=O (Tear gas)

Other structures in Garlic:
CH3-S-S-CH3 (?)
CH2=CH-CH2-S-CHNH2-COOH(Allium)

Skunk Odor Structures: 1. CH3-S-S=OCH2CH=CH-CH3
2. HS-CH=CH-CH3
3. HS-CHCH3-CH2-CH2-CH3

Asparagus compounds that when eaten, give sulfurous-odors to urine:

1.CH2CHCO-S-CH3
2. CH2-S-CH2-CO-S-CH3

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP
Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement