LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Books About Lyme Disease,and Symptoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Books About Lyme Disease,and Symptoms?
Silverwolf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any good,easy to understand,inexpensive Books or Booklets on LD it's symptoms and the affects[effects?] on a person available?

We need to find something,relatively soon,to educate our church folk,about what is happening to me,and what often happens with Lymers in general. They are polite and loving,but at times many just don't get it. I am a Pastors wife,and people expect to see me in services. Often I cannot make services,at this point in my life.

I definetely cannot lead a large study, [six or eight gals is about my limit...on a good day]. Now especially if I've had a bad preceding week, I do my level best to work w/ these young ladies and young married women.

It at least helps me feel like I'm still connected to others,for me,it's in a helpful way. At least I can still do something to help others.

TxCoord[Pastor Hubby, who is also an 'At Risk Youth' Counselor] and I are going to try an update letter once a month for our Church folk. A good book/booklet on the subject of LD/Co-infectant symptoms and problems would be so helpful!!!

Any ideas, tho'ts? It would be so appreciated. Thank You from Silverwolf

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LDA brochures
Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you might wish to print off copies of this story, which explains what it feels like to have limited energy due to a chronic illness:

The Spoon Theory

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geniveve
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
an excellent book is "coping with lyme disease" by denise lang. runs about 15 bucks i think. can be bought at barnes & noble.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best semi-technical thing I"ve seen is Stephen Buhner's Healing Lyme. Even if you don't do the herbal approach, his explanation of the disease, the symptoms, and the political climate that prevents some patients from getting good care, is a very good introduction to the illness for patients and their families and friends. I"ve suggested to several people to buy the book and photocopy the first few chapters (leaving out the herbal treatment section) just as a good primer to hand out to their families.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Helloooo,and Thank you so much for the info'!!!

I'm gonna show this info' to TxCoord.Between us,maybe we can remember this,and get a hold of some of these books and brochures!!!

With much appreciation from Silverwolf!!!

--------------------
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anneke
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anneke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Everything You Need to KNow About Lyme Disease"
is a comprehensive book on Lyme. I recommend it!

Posts: 364 | From California | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Thanks again to each of y'all!!!

Gonna copy off the info' in a bit. Weary right now, I am up earlier than usual as we had a pupperdog w/intestinal issues. Got her outside at least. Now she is sleeping,and I'd like to be.

I sure apprecaite the info' and thot's, will BBL !

From Silverwolf In Boots n'Thinking/Researching Cap [if I could only find mah brain].

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bonny,

LymeR Primer....do NOT order this once; very hard to read since it's timesnewroman in small print!

i retyped that since it deals with CO-INFECTIONS; [group hug] [kiss] [group hug]

2 easy reading books LDA sells are these:

LYME DISEASE IS NO FUN: Let's Get Well for kids 8-12 yrs. old

LDA's LYME DISEASE UPDATE: SCIENCE, POLICY & LAW

current prices can be found in BOOK AREA, LEFT SIDE; both were a total for 2 of $20 - $22 tops!

also from my newbie links/advise:

"But You LOOK Good: A Guide to Understanding and Encouraging People Living with Chronic, Debilitating Illness and Pain!"

http://www.myida.org/lookgood.htm
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=008886

This "letter to normals" is circulated in fibromyalgia circles but the symptoms are often identical because chronic lyme can turn into fibromyalgia.

Just substitute "lyme" in place of "fibromyalgia"
http://www.fmscommunity.org/lettertonormals.htm

MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MommaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Silverwolf!

I second BettyG's recomendation for www.myida.com

I ordered some pamphlets that could be part of your church's "pamphlet ministry". The founder has lyme, but the info is geared for all invisible illnesses! Check it out, and clink on several links on this site! Lots of good articles to print and share!

I clicked on an add on the bottom that took me to a sister sight the founder of MYIDA started to deal with the God and church aspect of these illnesses. The direct link to this website is www.whereisgod.org

Some of the info and articles are the same as the other website, but some are written for churches! I ordered a book called "Being Sick Well" but have not read it yet. I loaned it out and just got it back. If you are interested I will be glad to share the contents etc.

MommaK

Posts: 242 | From Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Thanks for the info'<<<<< Allayall >>>>>, wow there's alot of good stuff available it looks like!

I was hoping to check out the wereisgod/Mindspring deal too. But all I get is a white screen w/ the Mindspring logo/site deal [sorry Lyme Brain Lameness is fogging my tho'ts again].

We'll keep trying! I apprecaite this,maybe it can help others understand a little better. I have a friend w/ an "Invisible Illness " as well.

Love from Silverwolf.

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the nice tan booklet a patient in Pennsylvania gives out???

Tincup sent me a box and people were most receptive to this because it wasn't alot to read.

I'm sorry I don't remember the name since I gave all of them away!

Anyone?

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MommaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Sorry!

The correct link is www.whereisgod.net

Click on the link and it should take you straight there. I double checked it by going to www.myida.com and clicking on the where is God when we suffer add at the bottom!

Hope this helps!

MommaK

Posts: 242 | From Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For books I like "coping with lyme Disease" By Denise Lang- Third edition. I got mine used on amazon a while back.

Here's a links- "Lyme Disease The basics::

http://www.lymepa.org/Basics_4th_ed_html.htm

Don't know if you can print out the above link but you could e-mail them & ask if its alright to print out it & pass along to your church members.

Hope this helps [Smile]
Dana

I am not affliated with the the sales or author of the above book

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Cool, Thanks <<<<< MommaK >>>>> I'll check this site out!!! Might be that Pastor TxCoord and I can use this to help a number of folk,dealing w/ chronic health issues!!!

My friend w/ Lupus might find this helpful as well [I've wondered if she might have Lyme as well as Lupus,but her family isn't quite ready to check all that yet].

It goes into the site now!!! [Smile]

Gotta run [well I am in my tho'ts LOL], fighting soem pain issues today and I have a Young Womens study in a couple of hours BBL...

Just saw your reply <<<<< 5Dana' >>>>> I apprecaite the replies and info' so much. The more info' we can get out there,the less stress for us.And the more chances of others recognizing TBDs before they get to severe,or preventing them,even better!!!

Er .... <<<<< Sizzled >>>>> I'll check around on that patient tan booklet...maybe there is soemthing in the Newbie links??? Okay,I better skidaddle for now ...Jus Silverwolf! BBL

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hellooooo All,

Sorry It took me so long to get back here,I've had the Migraine/Sinus-Weather thing from the 7th level of He** since about Feb.6th. It is finally calming down,tho' I don't like to even have to sneeze for fear it'll come back.

I wanted to say I appreciate the info.' and links you posted for me! Thanks very much!

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry to read you've been so sick; glad you are feeling better now.

PJ, Paula Langhoff, Wisc. is writing her 2nd lyme book and asked folks to send her their lyme stories especially about MEMORABLE MISDIAGNOSES!
[group hug] [kiss]

BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Silverwolf,

You can find a couple of free downloads here.

http://www.personalconsult.com/free/books.html

there is alot of information under Newbie links, www.wildcondor.com and you can also do a search on youtube for "lyme" and you will get several microscopic videos that will be eye opening to them.

Blessings

Julia

--------------------
Please consult your LLMD before making any changes to your treatment regimen.

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement