LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » certain abx trigger viruses that infect bacteria...dormant spirochetes..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: certain abx trigger viruses that infect bacteria...dormant spirochetes..
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stumbled across this while looking for info on lyme and ammonia. If this is true, (and I don't know for sure that it is) it could explain a lot!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_285/ai_n19170382
An astonishing new finding was released by John Travis in Science News (July 2003;164). Travis reported that research performed by John F. Prescott found that certain antibiotics, such as the fluoroquinolones, the class of antibiotics that includes the name-brands and generic brands of Levaquin[R], Cipro[R], Tequin[R], and Avelox[R], actually are known to trigger a type of virus called bacteriophages (viruses that can infect bacteria) to change the genetic sequencing of the bacteria, causing the bacterium they have infected to start producing toxins. These viruses can act as genetic delivery vans, invading bacteria, such as spirochetes, often lying dormant, until activated by a change in the host (your body's) environment. Once activated, these viruses insert their toxin-generating genes into the bacterial chromosomes. These viruses can turn basically harmless bacterium into killers through this genetic sequencing of toxins (Travis 2003).

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi TerryK,

I don't know at all of the validitiy or the accuracy of this experiment. I've heard of an experiment made by scientist to check this, and discussed antibiotics with my dermatologist a couple weeks ago.

He mentioned that there was this study done and that it proved above, but he also said there was a flaw in its design, so again...

Inconclusive.

But my personal opinion is that these antibiotics can indeed create a havoc environment which could lead to further problems like cancers.

At the same time, when neurolyme and company are at hand...there is often no choice but to take the antibiotics unless you are allergic to them all. When neurolyme and company get to be so far into you, it's as deadly as cancer.

My thoughts about it. My dr. does say it is the VIRUS that lead to the cancer though, kind of like this study says, if I understand it.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1: J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol. 2000 Oct;2(4):365-73. Related Articles, Links

Bacteriophages of spirochetes.

Eggers CH, Casjens S, Hayes SF, Garon CF, Damman CJ, Oliver DB, Samuels DS.

Division of Biological Sciences, The University of Montana, Missoula 59812, USA.

Historically, a number of bacteriophage-like particles have been observed in association with members of the bacterial order Spirochetales, the spirochetes. In the last decade, several spirochete bacteriophages have been isolated and characterized at the molecular level. We have recently characterized a bacteriophage of the Lyme disease agent, Borrelia burgdorferi, which we have designated phiBB-1. Here we review the history of the association between the spirochetes and their bacteriophages, with a particular emphasis on phiBB-1 and its prophage, the 32-kb circular plasmid family of B. burgdorferi.

AND

http://biowiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Borrelia

Until very recently there was no known bacteriophage that targeted Borrelia. Therefore there was no known mechanism of lateral gene transfer during the bacteria's life span. It has now been determined that the bacteriophage phiBB-1, targets Borrelia burgdorferi, and that lateral gene transfer does in fact occur (Eggers et al.). Eggers et al., the authors of the paper on the newly discovered phage, suggest the the role of the phage within the infectious cycle of Borrelia burgdorferi ought to be investigated, as it might contribute to the virulence of the bacteria.

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Interesting info from your doctor. Thanks for sharing that.

There may be only a few abx that cause this. I personally think that abx are most likely necessary in many cases but if we know that they trigger these viruses, then maybe something can be done to mitigate that effect. There may be other triggers besides abx. Herbals could be triggers too. So much is unknown. This just makes it seem even more important to detox.

Terry

lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first thing I noticed at the top of the link you provided was David Jernigan's name. He is the author of "Beating Lyme Disease: Using Alternative Medicine and God-Designed Living"

He does not believe in the use of antibiotics and has his own line of natural protocols.

Hmmm............

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't find an article about lyme.
I find this one about strep and dogs:

http://tinyurl.com/2tnaqx

It's very interesting but I think what it's saying is that under selective pressure (antibiotics) some genetic changes will occur that cause bacteria to produce a much higher load of endotoxin.

I suppose you could genetically engineer a bacterium (ie SLYME) to do this and render it far more debilitating. Thus naturally occuring borrelia and bioengineered borrelia (imo) are different. Maybe it's true of babesia as well etc.

But I don't think (I could be wrong) the original study suggests that by taking antibiotics you will change your infection to a highly toxin-producing one.

OTOH I do know some people who weren't doing all that badly until they realized they were infected with tickborne infections and when treating them, got so much sicker. So who knows.

[ 22. July 2007, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: oxygenbabe ]

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this is the first time I have heard about this but how interesting to note I was given Cipro in Sept of 2004 for what turned out to be shingles. I was on a cruise ship and the doctor wasn't sure what I had.

It was Nov 04 I came down with a very bad virus which set all my illness into motion. My husband and mother had the same virus so I don't think it was a new tickbite. However, they weren't nearly as sick as I was.

After that illness, the severe mental confusion began and 11 mths later, migratory joint pain.

Did Cipro cause this sickness?

Hhmmm

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 5 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This would help to explain the website I found once about people damaged by the floxacins/quinolones. Most were asymptomatic and became debilitated by this class of abx. Symptoms sure sounded like Lyme/neuroLyme but maybe they were experiencing more damage/sx from the release of toxins and the invasion of the ketes?
Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

oxygenbabe could you please fix your link so that the screen is easier to read? Thanks!

lymebytes - good points. Doesn't mean the info is not worth looking at but I would view it with caution. He may be making wild assumptions or maybe he has other info that I haven't found? In any case, I wouldn't proceed in making decisions based on this information.

I found the original article that is mentioned about bacteriophages
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20030712/bob9.asp

Seems like there are several kinds of bacteriophages. Some eat bacteria and others live inside bacteria and cause toxins to be released and there are probably others that have not been discovered yet or that I haven't read about.

It looks like there is an association with certain abx and the harmful type of bacteriophages. There are not enough studies to know if there is a real danger or not and I doubt there ever will be since I don't see the drug companies paying for these studies and I don't see the government (who seems to cater to drug company interests) paying for one anytime soon either.

I think at this point there is no hard evidence to point to borrelia and certain abx causing this problem but I do have suspicions and I think it is possible. Also, oxygenbabe brought up the genetic engineering angle which I think is also a possibility.

I don't have access to the databases of medical studies that do not provide free access on the internet and I haven't spent a lot of time looking into this or looking for studies but it is intriguing and as others have pointed out, may explain some things that we see in those being treated with certain abx.

Terry

NP40
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also witnessed many times the effect viruses play in hindering lyme treatment. I believe this is often overlooked.

Mono, coxsackie and other nasty viruses will stop effective lyme treatment in it's tracks or at least slow it down considerably.

A good LL homeopath should be able to make some recommendations.

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BartonFink
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BartonFink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This makes perfect sense to me. I was pretty healthy before taking a quinolone antibiotic for an infection. Got very sick after the 1st pill. After that I gradually became weaker and sicker... and eventually some months later I learned I have Lyme.

--------------------
Please dont suggest "ask your LLMD" because we dont have them here in this country... [Frown] I just have to count on you fellow patients. [Smile]

Posts: 246 | From Finland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw this.... a little late, I guess.

The implications here are pretty huge.

The article is interesting, might explain a few things, contains some detox information I had not seen before.

Even though David Jernigan wrote the article, I don't think he had anything to do with the research that is the subject of this thread. So, in this case, I don't think I'll discard the information just because of the messenger. [Smile]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the World's a Phage Viruses that eat bacteria abound and surprise Whole artical

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement