LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » update: Would you think thermotherapy as a cure?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: update: Would you think thermotherapy as a cure?
Dave6002
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9064

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the last few days, I used a heating pad on my back along the spine for several hours each night.

The improvement is dramatic compared to before and I would be cured by the end of the year if I keep improving at this speed.

Before using the heating pad, I had unberable hand or finger pains, hip pains and sole pains.

Now these pains are greatly reduced.

I thus suspect that the pains are caused by pathogens' attacking the spine and heating would drive these bugs away or kill them.

I heating I used was milder, the temperature of my skin was probably around 113 degree.

Low temperature may not be good to us, while higher temperature may be beneficial.

The use of air conditioning might put adverse effects on us.

They use heating Blanket to cure a horse probably suffering from Lyme.

-

[ 17. November 2007, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Dave6002 ]

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More information including a video on this site:

http://www.myheatingpads.com/

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a clinic in Germany that is doing hyperthermia-treatment (or fever treatment) for cancer patients. They are also offering it for Lyme - and of course, they say it helps. As it is very costy I don't know anybody who has tried it yet.

As to heating pads: I always heard that we Lymies shouldn't use ELECTRIC heating pads - could make us worse but I don't know why.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heat increases blood through to the muscles. You could be having relieved symptoms because you are getting blood to that area and that is helping the area heal, or helping to remove toxins.

There are people who believe high heat saunas can kill Lyme. I don't know about that.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The improvement in the last week I would say is dramatic.

The residual symptoms don't bother me much and I am living a almost normal life now.

In addition to using heating pad, I also have been on Rifampin and Biaxin.

So I am still not quite sure if it's the heating pad or the abx combo or both that are responsible for the improvement.

However, I was on these abx before, although separately.

Many here are found out that Sauna and hot bath are helping.

I tend to think that consistent lower temperature would be more beneficial.

Looking at the picture, the horse must be wearing the heating blanket 24/7 for a cure.

Any I'll stick to this regimen for a while and see what happen.

Dave

GardenLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GardenLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dave - Glad to hear you've found some relief.
Heat helps me alot - I use home made moist heat pads w/ plain old rice. U can have someone who sews make u 1 in any shape needed for that body part. (A tube sock works well also, and all you need is to make a knot in the end of it.)

My favorite 1 is about 3 in's wide & 12 or 14 in's long - GREAT for spine or for calves, or wrapped around neck for headaches.

I can't get an electric 1 hot enough, plus the EMF's are not really great for you. Moist heat is more benefecial, and you can make them as hot as you need. Plus, cheaper on electric bill - they stay hot for quite a long time, and no cords to deal with. I even take mine in the car w/ me alot in the winter when I leave the house.

The spiro's don't like heat, it's good for sore muscles, bone pain, and circulation - it also helps decrease the twitches when they appear. Plus,it's just a cheap comfort! Give the moist heat a try, I'll bet you'll like it better than electric. [spinning smile]

Posts: 176 | From Tenn | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe in cure with heat only, but nice to see it's helping. It also helped my joints (knee specially), but also my back.

I used though infrared light.

I am sure my back pain was from lyme as it got better with treatment (herbs, in my case). If I remember well, it was andrographis that did the job.

the IR light didn't cure the pain, but gave me relief when I needed. Specially before sleeping.

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Thanks, Garden- for the detailed info about how to make a moist heat pad.

It sounds very interesting and I would like to give it a try.

Selma, thanks for sharing your experience.

I agree with you that heat only may not be a cure.

Just wondering people living in tropical climate and without air conditioning still got Lyme.

I got the impression that Lyme like MS is more prevalent in the North.

Dave

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
diabetics should use only LOW heat due to our neuoropathy. dad could never tell and had full heat and slept on it a no no too. [tsk]

yes, the old farmer's long socks would make good rice moist heat ones' i'll have to do that in future; would help with my wrist now. thx for tip. [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

Our internal body temperature doesn't change with the environment. So whether we are in a tropical climate or the north, with our without air conditioning, our internal temperature remains the same.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, as far as I know, there are a few cases of lyme disease in Brazil. The disease is not prevalent there though, but it's maybe because there are less infected ticks there than in the colder countries.

It's though true that the most infected areas are the colder countries here in Europe (Greece, Spain, Portugal and south of Italy are less infected). But maybe, it's just a matter of time to have it more widespread to the warmer climates?

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't think I can use the word "cure"

at this point for me in my 21 years with chronic lyme & 12 years of total treatment

the word remession would apply better to me.

But glad to hear it's working for you Dave [Smile]

That being said, moist heat feels sooooo good on the areas that give me the most pain~ my back, butt area & feet. It gives me some relief. [group hug]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Cave, I know some cases of people that got Chagas, that present some similar symptoms to lyme, but it's NOT lyme.

But they didnt' get it from ticks, but from much bigger insects that look more like cockroaches. These insects are widely known to transmit Chagas.

It's only recently that there's speculation that some ticks my carry the tripanossoma that causes Chagas.

There's no Chagas in southern Europe (that I know), and tick born infections are still not endemic there. But maybe it's just a matter of time?

Dave6002
Member # 9064

quote:
Our internal body temperature doesn't change with the environment.
Aniek, I agree.

However the surface temperature would vary a little (I don't know how much and I haven't read research on it though) depending on the surrounding temperature.

Anyway, still a wild guess that the ketes like lower temperature so they live under the skin not far from the surface.

Or they would come to the skin for a vacation now and then.

After I fell ill, I had a lot of rashes and itches here and there and heating really reduce them.

Sometime I would think that Lyme is a disease of nervous system as well as a skin disease and the habitat changes may be critical to their life cycle.

And raising the skin temperature may create a hostile environment for the ketes and may interrupt their life cycle and finally kill them.

Dave

Dave6002
Member # 9064

quote:
it's just a matter of time to have it more widespread to the warmer climates?
Selma,

This also puzzles me: is Lyme a emerging disease or man-made disease that is spreading from a certain place like HIV?

Many years ago for many years I ran and walked in the woods almost every day and I would get some bites here and there, but didn't care about insect bites at all, and I don't think I got sick from these bites.

Well, a couple years ago, I just worked a few times on a deer path, which I think is the cause of my getting ill.

So the spreading speed is astounding.

Dave

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Cave,

You are absolutely right: Lyme may represent a new category of diseases that have different but similar pathogens.

Probably that's why we are so different as to symptoms, responses to abx. etc.

And most mysterious diseases may have etiologic pathogens.

Just a guess.

Dave

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Bettyg,

I don't know about diabetic neuropathy and I was told before that heat is against neuropathy.

However, in my case heat seems helping the pains but still don't know why.

Dave

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Dana,

I am also glad for you that the moist heat helping you.

I admit the title of this thread is misleading.

I just wanted to attract people like you to come in and give advices. [lol]

Dave

pmerv
Member # 1504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pmerv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
raising body temp "potentiates" the antibiotics, i.e. makes them stronger, maybe by weakening the spirochetes.

--------------------
Phyllis Mervine
LymeDisease.org

Posts: 1808 | From Ukiah, California, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Recently I got two major herxes ever after using the heating pad frequently about 2 weeks each.

On abx I got only minor herxes.

So the heating pad might be doing something big not previously recognized.

Right now I tend to believe that the heating pad plus abx may someday (would be very soon) cure me, or put me in remission.

However I would like to warn you if you want try this that you could get severe herx.

Each time I had to stop using the heating pad due to unbearable herx.

sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic is of interest to me also. I found this amazing Korean

sauna in NJ - so, I've been going there for the last couple of weeks.

I read 2 posts about how raising the body temperature through

exercise (without drugs) can "cure" Lyme & this info was

attributed to Dr. B (ILADS). I looked for the reference but

couldn't find it anywhere other then here. Also, I read about the

use of abx & how heat can dialate the blood vessels making it

easier to reach all the "nooks & crannies" (so it works better). I

think the ticks with Lyme can't live in places where the heat is

higher then 105 (F) for 24 or was it 48 hours(?). So, they don't

like heat. I guess that's why some people came up with therapies

to heat the blood & raise the body temp (which ended up being

unsuccessful as I've read).

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hot tub almost nightly at 106.

I'm very clear that this is not a cure for lyme, or I'd be herxing from these soaks much harder than I ever do.

If I stay in for more than ten minutes, I can raise my body temp to 101, but I simply don't like getting hotter than that, whether or not it may be good for me.

I suppose it may kill off bugs in the extremities, and in fact I have no extremity joint symptoms.

Mainly I do it for the hope that it helps kill some lyme, so that I can detox from a good sweat, and because it eases the muscles and is relaxing.

I understand this kind of heat could be dangerous for people with heart conditions.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

[hi] I think that it's low but consistent heat that is important.

This is a huge difference from traditional high heat but transient treatment of Lyme, which is dangerous and is not a cure either.

Ellie K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellie K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't see this thread before posting on my Bucky pillow, but it looks like I'm not the only one into thermo-therapy...
Posts: 390 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
je
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for je     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our internal body temperature doesn't change with the environment.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think thats wrong. I took my temp under the tongue before and after a bath just to see.

it went from 96 to 101.5

Then I took my dog out and came in and checked again 94.9. It was really cold that day.

Maybe the lyme affects our ability to regulte tempurature. I'll have to recruit a well friend and compare.

I think we should hold a Bb conference in death valley for a week and see how many recover. [spinning smile]

Posts: 102 | From ny | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Specific Contraindications: (Do Not Use in Cases of)
Pregnancy, Adrenal Suppression, Hemophilia

Do not use Thermotex Systems in conjunction with liniments

Cautionary Notes:
Consult your health care professional before using Thermotex if you have any of the following:

Malignancy (including skin lesions)
Circulatory diseases
Using prescription drugs
Recent acute joint injury
Chronically hot or swollen joint
Implanted silicone or silicone prostheses
Metal implants

NOTE: These cautionary notes are a guideline only and not intended to replace a health care professionals advice. Should any negative reaction to Thermotex use occur, always discontinue use and contact your health care professional.

http://www.myheatingpads.com/contraindications.htm

http://www.myheatingpads.com/Thermotex4.wmv

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bb have heat shock potiens that protectm.
On the other hand extra blood flow helps your body do its thing.Go for it if it helps.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if it's a "cure"? But sometimes just getting relief from our major symptoms is enough to get us thru another day of fighting this war.

I truly believe it takes a process from many angles and patience with a heck of a determination to win. Oh yeah and great medical/alternative support to guide you.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steelbone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about this heating Pad. Covers more of your body so it might be more effective? Any thoughts.

I'll try anything if it help my back and hip pain.

http://www.therapads.com/

--------------------
All The Best,
Paul
[email protected]

The harder you work the luckier you get!

Posts: 965 | From Nebraska Cornhuskers fan in Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement