LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Blue hands!!!!!!!!?????????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blue hands!!!!!!!!?????????
richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have blue hands or feet from Lyme?

My wrist started to hurt months ago til the pain spread up the arm and into the hand. Since then it has turned blue and grey! I saw a vascular surgeon who said my circulation is fine and sent me on my way.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raynauds type symptom - yep! i get it in my feet they go blue then purple...my dr said to keep warm when this happens if you have to put on gloves, socks whatever

so yeah...

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this very bad a couple of years ago.

I was being treated for something non lyme with Tetracycline. It was before my dx. Right after I started taking it my hands and feet were always blue.

I went to a vascular doctor who said my circulation was fine too. He said it was probably Raynauds. The funny thing is though it didn't just happen with temperature changes.

I took Tetracycline again a couple of months ago for Lyme and the same thing happened.

I am glad you had it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

I chalk mine up to a lyme symptom now.

kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cjnelson:
Raynauds type symptom - yep! i get it in my feet they go blue then purple...my dr said to keep warm when this happens if you have to put on gloves, socks whatever

so yeah...

Keep warm? They are not cold. Plus, they have been this way for 6 days.

Only thing I have done differently is take Fluconazole.

Mine have nothing to do wit temperature! They hurt like HELL! Can barely use the left hand.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmmm mine r cold when it does that - to the touch more than feeling it myself. maybe different!

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blue hands are a cardinal sign of reynaud's.

daise [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

quote:
Originally posted by daise:
Blue hands are a cardinal sign of reynaud's.

daise [Smile]

But why did the vascular guy or rhumatologist mention that!? I am seeing an endocrinologist in a few weeks.

So, this can be Lyme then

I was told it could be Thorasic Outlet Syndrome.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

daise
Unregistered

Hi,

It's not directly Lyme disease, rather it's a complication of Lyme. Lyme can cause or bring-on some so-called autoimmune diseases and reynaud's is considered autoimmune.

But most conventional ducks will think you're corny to think it can be a complication of, or caused, by Lyme.

daise [Smile]

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might want to look up the ACA form of Lyme disease. This can follow the Reynaud's presentation.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I was able to find it. Usually I can't on this newer version of the board and search function.

Check here for the ACA presentation of Lyme... which can follow the bluish skin colors.

"It usually occurs in the lower limbs of elderly people, starting with a bluish discolouration of the skin, followed by gradual epidermal atrophy, the skin developing a thin shiny, papery appearance."

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065399

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

I have this as well and it is a sign of poor cirulation.... most lyme patients get thrown into a fight or flight mode and it draws all of the blood to the body.

Also hypercoagulation causes this.

I hate to say but you most likely have vasculitus and this can be found on a SPECT Scan. I have vasculitus and am only getting about 50% blood flow to my brain.

The Answer:

Heparin and IV antibiotics. This is really common wth bartonella.

joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 16 year old daughter had epsiodes of her hands turning blue/gray/yellow-ish green. A rheumy diagnosed her with Raynaud's.

This was happening 4-5 times/week, regardless of temperature. She's been on amoxy for Lyme since March and has had only 1 episode in the last 30 days.

Her LLMD is comfortable it's connected but not too quick to put any label on it as long as it is resolving.

Kris

Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raynauds Disease(pronounced RAY-NOZ) and Raynauds Phenomenon are a bit different.

I have Raynauds phenomenon and is a result of my LD. My feet are worse than my hands but they are now getting worse.

Raynauds Disease is primary and Raynauds Syndrome is secondary and from a cause of something.

From Wikipeida:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_disease

Disease vs. phenomenon

It is important to distinguish Raynaud's disease from Raynaud's phenomenon. In order to diagnose these two forms of Raynaud, your doctor may look for signs of arthritis or vasculitis and conduct a number of laboratory tests.

Primary Raynaud's (disease)

Raynaud's disease (or "Primary Raynaud's") is diagnosed if the symptoms occur only by themselves and are not accompanied by other diseases. Primary Raynaud's often develops in young women in their teens and young adulthood. This form of Raynaud's is thought to be at least partly hereditary, although specific genes have not yet been identified.[4]

Secondary Raynaud's (phenomenon)

Raynaud's phenomenon (or "Secondary Raynaud's") occurs secondary to many different causes:

* The most common causes are connective tissue disorders such as systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma/systemic sclerosis/CREST syndrome, arthritis and many others.

* Other disorders that can be causes include carpal tunnel syndrome and obstructive arterial disease.

* Medications that can be causes include beta-blockers and ergotamine.

In contrast to the disease form, this form of Raynaud can progress to necrosis or gangrene of the fingertips.

Posts: 261 | From NW Pa ~ Crawford County | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

I am convinced it is Lyme at this point. I am going to find the best doc I can within a reasonable drive and make an appointment pronto!

I also notice frequent sore throats, and balance issues.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you!

Now.. does your entire throat hurt.. or one side only?

Just curious. It can be either... but sometimes with Lyme one side will hurt.. where most of the time both sides hurt.

Good luck at the docs!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

richedie
Member # 14689

Mostly the entire throat, but a minor sore throat and then it goes away in a day or less.

How about with Bartonella, what are the symptoms? The feet?

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Alv
Unregistered

I have lyme and bart

YEs associated with sore throught and blue feet and hands...
They can be both at the same time.

onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got this! Mostly the hands, a little bit the feet.

Extremely corpselike.

As I've said on this board before, of all of the horrific, cruddy, painful & disturbing symptoms I've endured over the past 2 1/2 years, ironically, THIS is the one that really got my husband's attention! I guess because he could actually 'see' it - and it is very dramatic looking.

I was quite frightened initially (Is this also going on in my brain? My lungs? My heart??????) but my LLMD reassured me.

And, this symptom was around for about 3 months (well into treatment, I might add) and seems to have moved on.

Hope the same happens for you. It is super creepy!

otm

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Yes, corpselike! Aside from my hand, I took of my shoes tonight and noticed my tow look dead! Blue/purple, grey.

My hand still hurts bad and in addition to the blue and blotchy, it looks dried out or something.....like there is talkum powder in all the little cracks and crevices. I am getting scared and all my doctors have no answer, and the best they say is that it is psychosomatic, burried emotions, etc. Psychosomatic I believe but not when you hands turn blue and look dry.

I have to see someone other than Dr. F. in PA.

I am calling everyone I can to get an appointment, Dr. S and L in MD, Dr. G in King of Prussia PA and Dr. S in Jersey. Looks like I might be able to get in with a Nurse Practitioner in Lancaster who works with Dr. M in Maryland. The sooner the better.

All my quest labs have been negative but I know tests from anywhere are unreliable but most still send to Igenex.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

richedie
Member # 14689

Why would my hand hurt in the same spot for so long!? Shouldn't the symptoms move along? Started out as a little ache in the wrist, now full blown pain in the hand, wrist and forearm, like a really bad repetitive stress injury.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure everyone is so different, but I will share my own weird Lyme 'pattern' - for what it is worth, & maybe you'll relate to it.

I find that my symtoms, or groups of symptoms, stay with me for about 3 months or so, with a few weeks at the beginning where the symptom is 'milder' and ramping up, and a few weeks at the end when it is finally noticeably trailing off.

I've had extreme pain in the hands, wrists, fingers, feet, and toes. I've had a lot of trouble with my left big toe - it sounds so dumb to say, but it can really, really hurt, & make it hard to even walk. These have been come-and-go symptoms for me, usually lasting as described above.

It's another reason for keeping a symptom diary - you can really start to see the patterns.

I have been treating for 15 mos, 14 mos on doxy/doryx 400 mgs, and now a month on mino, 200 mgs. I had a lot of fairly quick success early in treatment, much more gradual and harder to define as the months have rolled along.

But I WOULD be able to say, unequivocally, that I am better in every way.

And at last, most recently, I notice marked improvement in what I would describe as my 'higher level thinking' - although processing, etc still stinks.

So, I don't know what your treatment protocol is, but if you're treating, stay with it. The improvements in the latter stages may be almost imperceptible, but clearly, something is happening 'behind the scenes' because I AM better somehow than even 2-3 months ago.

But so far, never symptom free. So, that may be where you are, too.

I've had tons of weird skin manifestations, too, including chicken skin, dry skin, strange 'dead spots' on my skin, rashes, white nodules, and many, many more, too many to mention. Most shared with my derm, who said this complete uproar in my skin 'matched no known pathology'. So, though it seems stupid, I just accept them all and roll with it as one more manifestation of my LD. But I DO get everything checked out just in case - an expensive hobby, I'm sure you'll agree.

I might have PM'd you before about Dr. E in NJ? Let me know if you want the name & contact info - closer to you than some of the other locales your mentioning.

Well, this is more a novel than a post - sorry!

Best -

otm

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymejul25
Member # 9564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymejul25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get this quite often, and it can be very painful.. most definitely is Raynaud's. I purchased gloves and socks made specifically for this purpose.

http://www.therapygloves.com/raynaudsgloves.html

That is the site above. I hope it helps! :-)

--Julie

Posts: 26 | From Ma. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

It doesn't seem like Raynauds because the pain is more withing not on the surface or the skin for example. almost feels like a strained wrist or repetitive stress injury. Started out 6 months ago as a slight ache in the wrist with certain activities, now full blown pain in the wrist especially when bending, the fingers feel stiff, like the skin is stiff, pain in the arm and fingers, you name it, plus the blue, blotchy appearance.

Both hands are now getting blotchy but not really painful in the right hand.

Doctors just think it is repetitive stress injuries, but why the color change I said! I tried resting it as they said.

I am probably going to see dr. S in jersey because is the closest Lyme doctor other than some in PA near me that are not as recommended.

I would be intereste din info on Dr. E. in Jersey but I believe she is farther? either way, I want them to follow the Burrascano guidelines if they believe this is Lyme.

I am tiried of people having me think it is psychosomatic.

On the Raynauds phenomena, I don't have some of the symptoms they mention, only the deep pain and the dicoroation that is always there!

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Richedie,

Here's a link to a post about my son's recent problems with Raynauds.

http://tinyurl.com/5oad22

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Well if your fingers/hands and toes/feet are like this, then just think about what is happening to your brain......

Something to think about.

richedie
Member # 14689

Thanks everyone, mine are not impacted by temperature though...although I know I could not tollerate cold whether when this all started and my hands nd feet fel ice cold at times. This colr thing is new though and i salways or mostly always like this now.

My hand now looks dried out and the ring finger had a mind of its own today, moving and twitching.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

richedie
Member # 14689

So now I am told the color and pain in my hand may be reflex sympathetic dystrophy.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

richedie
Member # 14689

....so wierd, now the color in my hand is coming back, it is looking normal again but the hand and wrist along with the forearm still hurt a lot, especially when bending and using it a lot. Now, the ring finger hs started to do its own thing, twitching, etc. Interesting, as I type this, I look down at my hands and they are a bit dark again and the skin is still dried out compared to the right hand. I give up.

I hope I don't go to my new doc in July only to be told I don;t have Lyme and sent on my way. Then I am back wondering what the heck is going with me. I know not having Lyme is a good thing, but I just want an answer. I know you guys understand what I mean. Docs tell me over and over again this is all just anxiety brought on by bad arches and now a RSI of the left wrist. Sometimes I wish they were right....

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

richedie
Member # 14689

Can it really just hurt for this long? It is weird because it makes you believe it is a repetitive stress injury. It started with just a slight ache in the joint, now months later a full blown pain in the wrist, hand and arm. I can still type and play guitar but sometimes it is no fun. I am stretching it, seeing a myofascial release therapist...

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I experienced blue fingers. Only on the top part of my fingers and not on my feet.

There was no associated cold/hot, any sign of cirrculation issus, also no pain involved.

Sometimes they would be a light silver blue and other times it would spread from my fingers down my hand.

I went to the ER and was told to come back when it was emergent.

I saw a cardiovascular surgeon who couldn't figure it out-NOT ryenoids.

Also saw the fibromyaligia doctor (rhemotologist or something) who told me I was crazy and didn't believe me. They weren't blue when i saw him.

We think it migt have been from some contaminated heprin I had. It started when I started IV and went away about a month after I stopped.

So odd-

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

when this happens does the hand also feel tight and maybe a bit stiff? How about pain in the wrist? Mine is terribly painfull if I bend it a certain way, especially dorsal flexion, bending the palm down.

Is this because the Lyme or co-infection bacteria is in the wrist or hand and the immune system is attacking, hence the symptoms?

Its not like I woke up one day and my wrist and hand hurt and were blue...it was a progression over months. First, just a slight strain or ache type feeling in the wrist, then full blown pain in the wrist, hand and forearm followed by the discoration and blotchiness.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement