LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme Vasculitis and Turmeric (curcumin)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme Vasculitis and Turmeric (curcumin)
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wish this press release gave more details -- especially the dose of turmeric.

Bea Seibert
-----------------------------------------------

http://www.mmdnewswire.com/press-release-6975.html

February 10, 2010 (MMD Newswire)

-- The daughter of a two Romanian physicians, father a cardiologist and mother a neonatologist, remembers being bitten by something in 2001 when Ana Ciobanu was only 6 years old. She developed headaches for the first time in her young life, which continued without help from standard interventions.

In 2008, she was scratched by a cat and developed some skin lesions but because she had no other symptoms a year went by before she was diagnosed with Bartonella henselae, the cat-scratch disease.

In April 2009, she was scratched by and owl and became so ill she was completely bed-ridden - it was then that she was also diagnosed with Rickettssia conori, Babesia and then Lyme.

She began to walk again after one month of IV antibiotics but progress was slow. She began receiving hyperbaric oxygen treatments and experienced tremendous improvements and resolution of her headaches after just 20 treatments.

She was being treated at the Hyperbaric and Diving Medicine Centre Constantza, Romania but she developed such severe Lyme vasculitis (see attached article) that she went into full circulatory collapse (no blood pressure).

It was then that Dr. Ciobanu contacted Lyme and hyperbaric oxygen experts in the USA for help. Dr. Stoller, Medical Director of the San Francisco Institute for Hyperbaric Medicine as well as the Hyperbaric Medical Center of New Mexico, immediately recommended that Ana be placed on therapeutic doses of Curcumin (the healing component in the spice turmeric).

Both Dr. Stoller and his nurse in San Francisco, Gayle Link, RN (an expert in treating Lyme in her own right) recommended that Ana resume hyperbaric oxygen at a lower pressure than she had been getting treated and last week a trial treatment went well. Ana will resume her treatments on February 12th.

The Curcumin rapidly brought down the high levels of inflammatory biomarkers (cytokines) and Ana made a full recovery

The San Francisco Institute for Hyperbaric Medicine is the only hyperbaric treatment facility in San Francisco treating Lyme disease, just as The Hyperbaric Medical Center of New Mexico is the only facility treating Lyme in New Mexico.

Lyme disease is an international problem and calls for international cooperation.

Ana's mother can be reached at [email protected]

The first two movies made on Dark-field Microscopy showing the Lyme infection before hyperbaric oxygen therapy can be obtained at: http://dl.transfer.ro/Transfer_ro-26Jan-3a44b7dfc01014.zip

Gayle Link RN, Director of Nursing
San Francisco Institute for Hyperbaric Medicine
www.sfhbo.com
tel 415-513-5813
cell 415-269-1498
185 Berry Street
Suite 4801
San Francisco, California 94107

Medical Director Kenneth Stoller, MD, FACHM
www.hbotnm.com

###

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think my computer has enough memory to watch the movie. If anyone watches this could you post about it.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Have read elsewhere that turmeric is not real well absorbed. Supposedly adding black pepper improves absorption.

Bea Seibert

D Bergy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used 1000 mg of Turmeric and Ginger in capsule form, three times a day to bring down inflammation from Crohn's if that gives you a rough idea of dosages needed to begin to bring down inflammation.

I could have used more, as this was about 70% effective by my estimation.

The Ginger has similar properties as Turmeric, and supposedly helps the body absorb other supplements.

I also was taking a double dose of Krill oil, which also helps inflammation.

Turmeric is hard to absorb.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by D Bergy:

Turmeric is hard to absorb.

Okay, this might explain why I had loose stools.

I used this:
Source Naturals, Turmeric Extract
http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Turmeric-Extract-100-Tablets/1421?at=0

Or would there be another explanation?
Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is possible that it could cause loose stool. I never noticed any particular reaction to it, other than decreased inflammation.

The tincture I used for a short time, actually killed some visible parasites that I did not know I had at that time. The capsules never had that effect.

Another possibility is that the antibacterial action is causing the loose stool. I would think a pretty high dose would have to be used to cause that reaction. It also would end at some point as the bacteria is reduced.

For a more anti-inflammatory effect you can take 100% Curcumin instead of raw Turmeric.

It is more expensive because it is processed, but the curcuminoids are the working part of the Turmeric as far as inflammation is concerned.

I have used both, but now that inflammation is no longer a problem, I just use regular Turmeric. I also use other supplements that are anti-inflammatory in nature such as Pycnogenol.

I think Turmeric is one of the most important supplements for anyone to take. It has amazing properties concerning health and disease prevention that are too numerous to list.

Here is a book of studies done on Turmeric and Curcumin

http://mccormickscienceinstitute.org/assets/Aggarwal_book.pdf

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing! I'm going to need to take this more often. Thanks for posting this, Bea!

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fantastic vascular inflammation is a big issue of mine-time to up my tumeric dose and add some more ginger. Thanks!
Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement