LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Tips/care for receding gums?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tips/care for receding gums?
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any tips, advice, or care to helps stop receding gums?

Mine are really bad and I'm not sure what to do about it. I brush gently using a Sonicare toothbrush that my dentist recommended for this condition.

Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, oil pulling. Plus it has lots of other health benefits. I use organic sesame oil.

Also, it's the only thing that can also help a loose tooth.

Check out oilpulling.com.
[Smile]

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this on a commercial website but it may be useful -

Mr. Shu of Ninomiya Yuri Dental Clinic used far infrared ray in his dental clinic for some years. "I have successfully treated many common dental diseases, for instance, pyorrhea alveolaris, gum inflammation, tooth pain, and muscular spasm." Mr. Shu indicated that the use of far infrared ray is undergoing research. Dr. Akira, Director of the Meitoku Association of Dentists and Dr. Waaataru of the Kawano Dental Hospital also use far infrared treatment on a regular basis for gum inflammation and post dental pain suppression. - 'The Scientific Basis and Therapeutic Benefits of Far Infrared Ray Therapy', Dr. Kyuo.

---

The company Elixa sells a dental applicator. I think it's just red & blue LEDs - not infrared.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is about lasers but I think it could also apply to infrared light in general from other sources-

http://www.humbervalleydental.ca/therapy.html

Benefits of Diode lasers for gum therapy:

The benefits of Odyssey diode laser is primarily because of the specific wavelength of light it produces and the tiny precise point of light delivery. The wavelength of the light ensures that the light will only be absorbed into the pigmented cells and not into soft tissue surface, bone or teeth. This is a major advantage of this laser as it limits the amount of tissue surfaces affected by the laser light. Because of the pigments present within the bacterial cells, it destroys the bacteria living within the gum tissue and thus can be used in treating gum disease.

The laser light is non- ionizing or non-DNA altering and thus has no risk of irreversible tissue changes.
The tiny point of light delivery also focuses the light in a tiny precise point and thus minimizes the amount of changes to the surrounding tissue also known as collateral damage.

The primary use of a soft-tissue laser is the modification or removal of intra-oral soft tissue. The photo-thermal effects of the laser�s energy allow us to modify tissues and control bleeding at the same time by coagulation and therefore little or no bleeding is encountered during the procedures The post-operative response of the laser care will usually produce a cleaner and healthier surgical site with less discomfort when compared to alternative methods of surgery. Laser has a desensitizing effect on the tissues and therefore the procedures tend to be associated with minimal pain. Soft tissue lasers enable minor surgical procedures and decontaminate the area at the same time and therefore there is less chance of infection.

The laser also promotes healing for infected and irritated tissues. Since there is a favorable response to laser treatment, the resultant healing is less complicated and often shorter when compared to traditional techniques. In many cases, the laser can also be used to treat deep gingival pockets that harbor bacteria and cause gum disease. An additional benefit of dental diode laser technology is its ability to reduce the pain and longevity of cold sores and fever blisters

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can be caused by grinding your teeth at night, in which case a night guard will help.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can be caused by grinding your teeth at night, in which case a night guard will help.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty sure this is a symptom of folic acid deficiency. Might want to research that.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are they receding because of pockets?
Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've thought about trying oil pulling (actually bought some sesame seed oil) but am concerned that if it really does detox like it says it does it might pull beneficial meds out of my system. Any thoughts on this?

I would like to find a dentist that uses laser treatments. Seems there are not many around here. I used to have a Waterlase dentist but he moved to NY a couple years ago.

Don't have any other signs or symptoms of bruxism but I'll have to keep that in mind make sure it's not something that I'm doing!

I also take a good amount of folic acid the active form in my b complex, multivitamin, and RX Metanx. I'm getting 6mg from the Metanx, 400mcg from the B complex and 500mcg from the mvit. Sound OK?

I do have a collagen disorder that predisposes me to receding gums so it is not surprising that I have this problem. I just don't want it to get worse. I don't want to lose my teeth. I would really like to find a way to help heal the gums if possible. Not sure if that is possible.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Thankfully no, no pockets or visible infection.
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammy -- Sounds like enough folic acid unless you are taking meds like bactrim or daraprim which deplete folic acid in order to try to kill babesia. Hubby takes 5 mg folic acid per doc to balance out his methylation cycle.

Not 100% sure if you have an active babesia infection if that is just feeding off the folic acid you are taking and it is not available to your body. Not really sure how to determine if that could be the case or not.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Babesia is a big problem for me too.
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It takes eliminating the toxic metals from the jawbone thus helping perfusion and lack of oxygen before any infection can be cleared and more permanently so. Then you will get a handle on any of the multiple infections that are part of Lyme. Dental toxins from root canals are probably the worst, but detoxing metals and chemicals is a good start.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I have started using is a hydrogen peroxide mouthwash after flossing and brushing, as often as possible just after eating.

There is a commercially available formulation.

If you want to make your own, it must be diluted to 3.5% or less FOOD GRADE Hydrogen Peroxide, not the stuff you can get in a normal drugstore.

BetterHealthGuy has data about dental treatment at his website.

I have seen data about using a very, very diluted clorox-type bleach mouthwash, but haven't fully investigated this.

Oral bacteria that cause gum disease ARE spirochetes, according to my dentist.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Where there are toxic metals, there are spirochetes. No exception.

Learned today at a K. seminar that it takes the spirochete 2 seconds from mouth to penis!

Can't prove it, sorry!

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RE oil pulling, since most do it first thing in the morning before breakfast, it should not pull out any meds. Just wait entil afterwards to take you morning stuff.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

If oil pulling can help detox/pull meds then it will remove beneficial antibiotics no mater when I try to fit it into my schedule.

I'm on some antibiotics that must maintain a constant trough level in the blood stream to be effective. I can't start detoxing/ pulling the meds out. My body already processes meds too quickly and I have a hard time keeping these doses high enough.

I was kinda hoping that you all would tell me that there is no science behind the detox theory of oil pulling... that it would just help moisturize the mouth and that's what helps heal the gums [Smile]

I know that would go against all the testimonies of the people on the oil pulling sites online but that would help me so... guess I have to put that remedy on hold for now.

sammy
Member # 13952

Gigi, you mentioned dental metals and toxins in the jaw? I only have a couple composite fillings in my mouth. Never had braces or any other kind of dental work. What kind of detox thinking about?

I've had a heavy metal challenge test through my LLMD and different heavy metal hair test through an ND, both came back with no metals. Are there any other tests that I should ask for?

sammy
Member # 13952

CassA, did you have inflammation of your gums (gingivitis) or were they just receding?

I don't have inflammation, my gums are just pulling away, receding.

My dentist told me that I didn't need to be using a mouth wash because I already brush and floss well. He just told me to keep taking good care of my teeth and drink lots of water.

Said I don't need a mouth wash because I don't have gingivitis or bad breath. I thought that was kinda nice of him to say and weird at the same time.

Thank you for the hydrogen peroxide rinse tip. I'll have to check out the better health guy's website for more info.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

I was interested in this so I looked into it.

FYI -

http://www.breathproblems.com/reverse-receeding-gums.html

Is It Possible To Reverse Receeding Gums?

Can you really reverse receeding gums? Let�s find out.

Receeding gums that expose the root surfaces of teeth is a common condition in adults over the age of 40 but may also start in teens. This term refers to a loss of tissue resulting in the exposure of the roots of the teeth.

A major cause of this tissue loss is brushing your teeth with too much pressure. Studies suggest that 50-90% of people brush with too much pressure.

You are not alone if you�ve ever tried to reverse receeding gums. You may be looking at this issue if you�ve started to notice that your teeth look longer than they used to. Receeding gums can be prevented with consistent and thorough oral hygiene habits.

You�re off to a good start if you�re a regular brusher and flosser.

If you�re looking to take a dynamic approach to reverse receeding gums and its related conditions, however, you�ll have to take some extra measures.

Sometimes receeding gums may occur because your gums are very thin and fragile. They are also a danger sign of gingivitis, infections and periodontal disease.

If your dentist concludes that you have some bone loss or that the gums have receded from the teeth, the customary treatment is a rigorous deep cleaning, non-surgical technique called scaling and root planing (SRP).

The FDA approved a fairly new drug in the arsenal against severe gum disease called Periostat in 1998 to be used together with SRP.

Besides SRP, other types of treatment for receeding gums include:

■Homecare techniques with soft toothbrushes, flossing and other aids
■Antibiotic gels
■Surgical procedures to replace and regenerate lost tissue.
Before receeding gums can be treated, fillings and crowns that do not meet properly should be corrected, and tooth grinding and clenching should be stopped. The teeth may become sensitive once the gums have receded.

Certain toothpastes may provide some relief, and nutritional supplements such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin B complex, and vitamin C are sometimes prescribed for prevention of decay and repair of gum tissue.

Your teeth are intended to last a lifetime, contrary to popular belief. Most herbalists and natural healers advocate using warming, astringent, connective-tissue-healing herbs to enhance and maintain oral health.

Herbs such as amla that support the healing and development of connective tissue when taken internally will always benefit the gums. Turmeric capsules, goldenseal rinse, and nightly packs of a paste of turmeric powder, licorice root and Vitamin E can help solve the problem of receeding gums.

-----

http://www.doctoryourself.com/gums.html

Gum surgery is the last thing you want your dentist to tell you that you need. But that's exactly what Kate's dentist told her.

"I'd really like to avoid it," she said. "The very idea of getting my gums cut into makes me queasy."

"You are on friendly turf here," I replied. "Dentistry in general makes me weak in the knees. Maybe that stems from my boyhood, when our dentist didn't believe in Novocain, or at least believe in taking the time for it. Gum surgery sounds especially unpleasant."

"They've already scheduled it," Kate said. "They'll do the procedure next month. I'll do it if I have no choice, but I'd sure like to avoid it."

"Well, you can always fall back on surgery if nothing else helps. Since you have to wait for it anyway, you might as well see if you can improve your gums in the meantime."

"How?" said Kate

"Two things come to mind," I said. The first is comfrey."

"Is that an herb?"

"Yes," I said. "Comfrey has a 400 year history of wound healing. It is favorably mentioned back in Turner's Herball of 1568, Gerard's Herball of 1597, Parkinson's 1640 Theatrum Botanicum, and Tournefort's 1719 Compleat Herbal. There have been monographs on comfrey throughout the centuries, and one of the active ingredients, allantoin, is found in salves and lotions today."

"Can I just buy some capsules at the store?" Kate asked.

"Yes and no," I answered. "You can buy comfrey capsules, all right, but they tend to contain dried comfrey leaf. Traditional herbalism tells us that the leaves are best used fresh, beaten into a poultice, and applied externally. Leaves taken internally, as with swallowed capsules, have little benefit, and negative side effects are much more likely. Comfrey, like medicinal herbs in general, is more a medicine than a food. It needs to be used appropriately."

"What part do we want, then?"

"The root," I said, "is the part we want to use. The root, tradition says, is for internal use, and the root is not to be taken raw. Instead, you make a decoction of the comfrey root. A decoction is basically just a boiled tea."

"And how do you make that decoction?" said Kate.

"First you have to take a bit of root, maybe a few inches of it, and wash it under water. Cut the root up, like you would a carrot, into slices or chunks. Put the pieces into a Pyrex or stainless steel saucepan with a cup or two of water. Bring it to a boil, boil it for five to ten minutes, and then let it sit and cool. The result is a dark-brown, not particularly bad tasting tea. A cup or two every other day will probably be enough."

"Where do I get comfrey root?" Kate asked.

"Probably at most herb stores. I got mine fresh from a farmer who was trying to get rid of it. Comfrey grows like a big weed: very fast. If you mow it down or try to plow it under, it just comes back. Even a little bit of fresh root will grow a new plant. I'm here to tell you, there is nothing to growing your own comfrey. Cheaper that way, too."

"Is that it?"

"Well, not quite. Another approach you might consider is topical use of vitamin C. In other words, direct application of the vitamin to your gums."

"That sounds a bit weird," Kate said.

"It really does," I admitted. "However, vitamin C is so closely involved with wound healing in general and gum integrity in particular that it merits special attention. Vitamin C works as an anti-inflammatory agent. It also is essential for building collagen, the protein "glue" that literally holds your cells together."

"I know that vitamin C is good for my gums," Kate said. "I'm already taking 1,000 milligrams of vitamin C a day. Why hasn't that helped?"

"Two reasons come to mind: either its not enough, or its not sufficiently concentrated where you need it most."

"But vitamin C is an acid: ascorbic acid, isn't it? I can't go putting that all over my gums and teeth."

"True enough. The trick is to use a non-acidic form of vitamin C called calcium ascorbate. Topical calcium ascorbate will not sting even sore gums. You can obtain it as a powder, and spread about half a teaspoon on the gum surfaces. It has a bit of a metallic aftertaste, but its quite bearable. Hold it for about ten minutes, then rinse."

For two weeks, Kate did exactly that, plus drinking the comfrey decoction. However, she did not cancel her gum surgery.

After a pre-op examination, her dentist canceled it.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Sparkle - and others,

Good information here. I've been wondering that about vitamin C re: acid.

I also have to wonder if I might not have SCRUVY. since it's so hard to eat citrus fruits because they burn my mouth. I don't have candida but those who do also can run a risk of SCRUVY from lack of vitamin C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy

Scurvy

=================================

Some key things that have helped me (but I am not out of the woods yet with my mouth or lips):

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/search/search.php?refine=y&keywords=Sea+Buckthorn+oil

Sea Buckthorn Oil

Do not spit out. This is like gold and very nourishing. I use 8 oz. a month and transfer to a one ounce bottle with a dropper.

You can read more about the benefits at academic sites (not just sales sites) and PubMed. It is helpful for mouth ulcers.

It is orange and can stain the teeth a bit but it's helping me SAVE my teeth from ulcers and major receding gums.

It is very soothing. And the fatty acid composition is unique with one particular omega that is mostly also just in macadamia nuts.

Just in case: Do NOT use tooth whitening stuff - it's very caustic to the mouth tissue and the tooth enamel. Teeth are not supposed to be snow white, anyway.

Baking soda (always melted and not too much) works very well.

=========================

First brush with baking soda that has had time to melt on my toothbrush. It can scratch teeth if it is not melted and that just takes seconds, really.

Tossing out ALL toothpastes has really helped. Even the "natural" ones would burn and irritate but, of course, avoid SLS - sodium laurel sulfate and the like.

I've been using Seed-a-Dent for my final brush (then rinse). It is a combination of grapefruit seed extract and other things but they are not making that any more.

There are similar GSE liquids.

I also use a Sonicare toothbrush but it's so loud and that is just torture but it still works so nicely on the mouth.

My routine at night:

Rinse, do a water tornado a few times in your mouth - Brush - floss - brush - waterpik. Sea Buckthorn oil then to let soak in.

after lunch, I'll brush and swish a tornado or two (just my term for the action of really moving water through my mouth). Actually, it's good to do that many times each day with dissolved SEA SALT in warm water.

===========================

WATER PIK

============================

Of course, systemically addressing spirochetes and all esle.

Rife and Light treatments seem a good idea, too.

As others say, heavy metal and infection attention necessary.

Andrographis

For me, andrographis has been the best help, too. I'm been on and off of that and my mouth is MUCH better when taking it. Study Buhner's book "Healing Lyme" for more detail on that and then search PubMed as there are many medical abstracts about it.
-

[ 12-04-2011, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Another current thread from "Lymedin2010"
-

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=113151;p=0

Spirochetes in the mouth - video links
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate all your suggestions, you've given me so much to think about.

I have been taking vit C 1,000mg so maybe I should try doubling that dose. That would be easy and it would probably help my immune system too.

Sea buckthorn also sounds promising. It is supposed to support healthy collagen. Since I have weak collagen (genetic condition) this would be a huge benefit for me!

Keebler, do you swish with the sea buckthorn oil or apply it to your gums with your finger or q-tip? Do you use it once or twice a day?

Thanks again everyone! You've shared so much good information, you will help many more people than just me [Smile]

GiGi
Member # 259

Any of the 90 different types of Catscratch Disease/Bartonella cause the teeth to deteriorate from the inside out, without any cavities = calcification of the pulp from the inside narrowing the pulp channel leading to cavitations in the jaws.

It was many years ago at the start of Lyme for me:
I broke off four teeth all at once and that started the end of my teeth. I treated mostly with non-abx and no longer suffer from Lyme.

Treat parasites first. I followed all of Dr. K.'s regimens.

Get familiar with the Lyme Cocktail that addresses many problems together, with one drink that you prepare early and take over the rest of the day.

If you live on this planet, toxic metals are part of the problem. A big part, even if just passed down from Mom, type of work and lifestyle.

I have never seen one person that was not also felled due to toxic heavy metals. And some of the 200,000 chemicals to which we are exposed! also play a big role.

Detox, detox, and lighten the burden. I have posted many protocols that address all of this.

Take care.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

I had to have a laugh about this "2 seconds from mouth to penis"... oooh kinky (LOL)

I tested low for mercury on several occassions but I think it's an issue in any case. We are all being exposed to unnecessary toxic metals.

I do think the parasites or pathogens cause damage that needs to be addressed. Unless you get rid of the pathogen - you will still have issues.

The oil pulling didn't do much for me but I will look into sea buckthorn.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sammy,

You asked: "Keebler, do you swish with the sea buckthorn oil or apply it to your gums with your finger or q-tip? Do you use it once or twice a day?" (end quote)
---

NO. Do not swish it. It costs a fortune. It's a rich therapeutic oil, a food, nutrients. Your brain will thank you for this as much as your mouth.

I also would not waste even on drop on a Q-tip and the Q-tip cotton can cut the gums.

This is why I transfer from the larger bottle to a smaller one with a dropper. You may first buy just the 2 ounce bottle with a dropper and see how that works for you.

I've just gone to using 8 ounces a month and the larger bottle is less expensive but not good to open and chance spilling 6-8 times day. The larger bottle also does not have a dropper.

I swish with warm salt water, rinse . . . have a nice drink of water and then add a dropper (or even a few drops) of Sea Buckthorn oil so that it can soak in. Especially before bed.

You want it for your whole body, too, not just your mouth.

Hold your head way over the sink and try to keep the dropper from touching mouth - and keep any drops off your clothes. Have a paper towel to prevent any from getting on counter but, if it does, wipe it off quickly.

I keep the smaller dropper bottle sitting inside of the cap of a spent spice bottle. That keeps the counter top free of any oil migration.

There are other brands and I've used one other that was twice the price. Be wary of really cheap brands - not all are what they say or may be processed in detrimental ways.

My methods are just PART of an overall protocol.

The soothing nature of Sea Buckthorn oil, though, has nearly saved me from suicide just from the pain of burning mouth year after year. Still, I have so much more to attend to about this.

As for other oils, I tried them all. Nothing worked, whether topical or with oil-pulling. Now swishing with coconut might still be helpful but I did not find it to solve much for me.

Sea Buckthorn oil was really my last resort for a topical aid that would also have deeper effects. The brain LOVES it.
-

lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must have had about 3-4 teeth that chipped before I started treatment and I'm sure that had to do with lyme and company. The dentist commented on it and fixed them. Next time I went in the hygienist was surprised that my gums had really tightened up and the pockets were gone. I'd had pockets for a long time.

As I had put down that I was on doxycycline, they told me that another use for doxy is to treat problem gums. My gums are a little receded but not bad says the dentist. Probably better than normal for my age. If I recall correctly, I believe they told me that the receding had reversed to a degree on doxy.

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Years ago a dental hygienist told me that a possible problem with getting your gums cut down (gum surgery) could be permanent pain. Maybe procedures have improved but be careful.
GiGi
Member # 259

To answer Sammy's old question above: There is no lab test that tells with certainly whether you are metal toxic or not. Some will release the toxic metals. Some don't. And if the number gets lower, there is no way to tell if any are hiding and stuck, while the body has lost its ability to release them.

If you have lived on this earth for a while and/or were nursed by mom, assume that you are. In 15 years I have not met a sick person who isn't.

Energetic testing it the best way to tell.

Take care.

CSS
Member # 34634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gums began to recede after years of using the sonic care toothbrush. Turns out I was applying to much pressure and the bristles were to stiff. It is really easy to be overly aggressive with the sonic care.

Went out and bought the softest toothbrush I could find and switched to a baking soda/hydrogen peroxide toothpaste. Gums stopped receding.

Posts: 22 | From California | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't read all the posts but just want to add Co Enzyme Q10 is very good for gum disease. Here is a link:

http://coenzymeq10benefits.net/coenzyme-q10-benefits-gum-disease-treatment-and-prevention

Xylitol, a natural sugar substitute, is also good for preventing plaque build up which contributes to cavities and gum disease. Here is link:

http://www.xylitolcanada.com/media.htm

Be sure to brush your teeth up and down, not sideways. I like the mechanical tooth brushes. Flossing regularly or using the water pik is important.

But when you get over 40, expect your gums to recede some. The dentist can fill in the exposed roots making them look more natural (and less sensitive).

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

For more possibilities:
http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/receding_gums.html

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Friends,

Thanks for an enlightening discussion! I always find out something I can use for myself (or help others find out about or avoid, in some instances!!).

So far, for me, the brushing with baking soda and then using mouthwash of very diluted hydrogen peroxide, at least twice a day, as soon after eating (and before bedtime). It seems to me that at least I have arrested the decline, and perhaps saved my brain from more invasions!!

I'm interested to try the buckthorn. I'd been taking adrographis several years ago, when I was following Dr. B's protocol from "Healing Lyme." At that point, I wasn't paying much attention to the state of my mouth.....

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had gums go from completely normal and healthy to recessed over night! I have no pockets, gingivitis etc. and my gums will spontaneously swell up and bleed.

It is usually around one or two teeth at a time. My dentist is baffled.

I now use a waterpik once or twice a day and sometimes I put baking soda and perixide in it or salt water. Occassionally Colloidal Silver or Listerine as well.

I floss once a day also. I am sure its somehow related to Lyme and coinfections! And I wear a retainer to keep my teeth straight so I know it is not from grinding....

A waterpik is about $50.00 and a great investment!

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement