LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Any MTHFR updates out there?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any MTHFR updates out there?
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just want to check in and see if anyone has had their follow-up tests or doc appts. Or if anyone is making any progress in this area.
Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am getting a consult with the dr on MTHFR.net this week so will let you know. I tested one with one gene and one with the other , high homocysteine, trouble with sulfurs, so hopefully should be interesting. My LLMD is a DaN autism dr and also knows about this stuff but want to talk to this guy because he has what I have and all his family...
Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have any tests done. I just started the Simplified Protocol... I felt it was doing something. I had an increase in pain so I slowed it down a bit. I take the protocol once every few days.

I think it was mobilizing toxins. I feel that it's important to do some detoxing prior. I may have metals - so, I'd like to do some chelation first.

I'm still looking for a good dentist to replace my 2 amalgams. After that, I'll be able to chelate.

So - there are alot of steps, potentially. I do think the vitamins can mobilize toxins just like KPU does.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DH and kids are all now on low doses of Thorne's MethylGuard Plus. I don't want to give them more, because they are also on lyme or anti-babesia protocols, and I don't want them to start too many things at once.

If I did I wouldn't be able to tell what is a herx and what is a reaction.

But I do think they need at least a base level of the right form of vitamins.

How are you doing?

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent off the methy cycle panel test for the 30 mutations about a month ago. It will take two more months to get the results. I am on the simplified protocol until then- and a vegan diet. I am anxious for the results but have to focus elsewhere until they come!

Taking the vitamins helped me but it is not a cure. I understand what is going on a lot better and know more about what my "special needs". GABA for instance is a life saver when you tend to OD on excitotoxins.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
still waiting on my testing results. should be back by second week in May. Not doing any part of the protocol until I see heartfixer doctor to guide me with regards to my results.
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sk8ter - how did your phone consult go? (if you don't mind sharing, or if you prefer, send me a PM please:)

Garden -Hello, btw [hi] how are your kids doing on MethylGuard Plus?

neff - I know it's in the other threads somewhere, but can you please refresh my memory on where you can get the additional testing done for the 30 mutuations, plus how much? Will they include treatment guidelines? Do you have sulphur issues by the way? For me, GABA gave me weird brain zapping, head buzzing sensations.

I NEED to get a handle on this MTHFR stuff. I had initial testing with a local doc and I am homozygeous (if I spelled that right.... it means I got the double whammy, one gene from each parent.) It explains so much of why I struggle.

I want to run all of this stuff by my docs, but they don't seem to know everything about it.

Thanks friends.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

up
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

up
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I received my Yasko results the other day. I was not surprised by my results. In fact, blood tests verify some mutations, and symptoms verify others.

As I suspected, I have a crack in my genetics that does not produce enough or allow me to process glutathione. When I tried glutathione pushes, I experienced whole body flushing and ^ blood pressure.

Also have ++on MAO A, meaning that I inherited a gene from both parents that makes one prone to anxiety, depression, ocd- all of which I've had problems with.

In all, I had 4++ mutations and 12 +- mutations. The first mutation to repair is the CBS C699T mutation. If one has this mutation without repairing this, all other pathways will not benefit.

The Yasko results come via CD with results, explanations of what your mutations mean and her recommendations for repair. I find this information invaluable.

I am seeing Dr. Roberts (www.heartfixer.com) in the beginning of June in order to get his assessment and guidance- it's all too complicated to go alone.

FYI- It can take up to 2 years for repair and one should expect healing responses along the way. What has been recirculating in my/our bodies, should potentially start dumping out- including viruses and bacterial infections.

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are you treating the CBS mutation feelfit? He advises a vegan diet low in foods that have sulfate, like cabbage. Are you doing that? I have not gotten my results yet but I am trying to follow that diet which is similar to what Dr. F suggests.

I take the supplements for CBS and MTHFR. I should probably get my test results in another month. I think the diet is helping.

I did 4 days of chloroquine and had to quit all drugs. It may have helped to trigger a thyroid flair because I quit sleeping. When I realized the antibodies I was told I have as well as the thyroid nodules was probably hashimoto's disease, I researched that - what an eye opener.

I always thought my thyroid was going from hypo to hyper but was told by a stupid doctor it was impossible. That is what exactly happens with hashimoto's. And of course these auto immune diseases are connected to the mutations. My son has type one diabetes which is related to hashimoto's and celiac.

So more revelations. I quit all drugs a week ago and all of my symptoms are gone or better. The stabbing pains in my joints are gone. My fatigue is better even though I have not been sleeping well. My temperature is more stable. I started LDN and am tolerating it much better. I mix my own.

Maybe I can get well after all. Dare I hope?

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Thanks feelfit and neff for sharing. Right now I feel so overwhelmed....lots of sizzling, tingling symptoms....recent tests results that are freaking me out, etc. I feel like I am not thinking clearly because I am overwhelmed.

If I may ask...
feelfit - how much was your testing? Do you mind sharing your protocol? Also, how much is visit to see Dr. Roberts? Do you think he's one of the best? (Would be a long drive for me.)

Neff - same to you, if you don't mind. (Not sure if you saw my post above:) So glad you are feeling better!! Would love to know what you are taking.

Is there a downside to taking supps for CBS upregulation and mthfr? (I have sulphur issues).

I wonder if I would have an issue with Glutathione IV??

My initial testing showed I'm homozygeous. My recent bloodwork showed high B12, and low homocysteine.

Thanks for taking the time to share. If you prefer, send PM. Appreciate it.

feelfit
Member # 12770

Tammy, the protocol is specific to my genetics. I would share what was recommended to me if I thought that it would help you- but it's far to complicated and all of our protocols will be unique to us individually.

The testing was 495.00 (not covered by ins.) However, you receive 4 free supps with that and a protocol and a pdf book on all the mutations (valued at 100.00). None of that interested me [Smile]

As I recall, if we have sulfur issues, we also have probs. with B's- not sure. This is all very complex.

Dr. Roberts (heartfixer) takes insurance. He requires that all lab work, heart work-ups, and any genetic testing be sent to him beforehand so that he is prepared for your appt. and has developed a plan.

For me, I could never, ever figure it out myself and as I understand it, there are going to be some very uncomfortable times while repairing the mutations. Dumping toxins is never fun.

I understand the feeling of being overwhelmed. I don't know if this will be the answer, but I do think it is an important part of the puzzle.

I hope that your sizzling and tingling calms down.

This genetic testing is not only MTHFR that is only one of 29 mutations.....If you have high b, I would first ask if you are supplementing. Looks like your body may not be processing the b-12?? Blocked pathways make it all just 'sit' there.

You can consult with Dr. Ben via internet....but you have to test through him, i think.

Neff- I know you can get better- you're already feeling better and you've just begun!! Hang in there and keep fighting- i think the finish line is in sight.

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Tammy, here is the link for the test. It takes 3 months to get the results. I am anxiously waiting my results.]
http://www.holisticheal.com/health-tests/nutrigenomic-testing

Thanks for the encouragement Feelfit. I believe you are on the right track too. I would like to consult with that doctor by phone if he does it. It seems like it would not be necessary to travel as he is not giving abx - just supplements and diet. Right now I follow his guidelines.

Tammy if you have trouble with sufates, then you probably have the CBS mutation. This is the site of the doctor and his recommendations. It corresponds with what Dr. F is finding so you would be hitting the biofilm FL1953 too if you keep the fat low.

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

The reason I would go with the doctor on this site, the one feelfit is going to see, is because he recommends a vegan diet. Yasko limits meat and Ben does too but they do not encourage vegan. I believe this doctor is right about vegan.

--------------------

Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Did you both get tested thru the same place? Or is it coincidently the same price?

Feelfit - it's a shame that the recommendations they make based on the testing are not enough. Didn't realize it would need additional doctor visits and input. But it makes sense I guess. (Far drive for you?)

I know it is specific to each individual, but I am curious to know what you are taking. Do you mind sharing, or can you send me a PM?

Also, neff, what are you taking?

I need to do more on this, but in the meantime, perhaps it wouldn't hurt to start taking low doses of some things that may help. Even if I were to order test now, it would be months before I would know. I need to do something now.

There is so much on my plate right now, I am rather overwhelmed. I need to feel better.

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sublingual B6/PLP/P5P will bring homocysteine down. Cheap. Source Naturals makes it. Called "Coenzymeted B6". Easy to take and works right away. Need sublingual because our stomach acids destroy the B vitamins (not those naturally IN FOODS).

L-Methyfolate (if one can't convert folic acid to L-Methyfolate) is available OTC too. Metagenic's "FolaPro".

Dr. Oz re: MTHFR:

http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/tanya-edwards-md-med/underlying-causes-depression

Linking MS and MTHFR:

PMID: 21190091

I have many more links and yes, I believe a damaged gene can make it harder for some persons to get well. But our genes don't determine our destiny. We just have to figure out how to work around the problem.

What forms of folic acid do we measure?

1. Pteroylmonoglutamic acid (UMFA) With the increased consumption of supplements and grains fortified with folic acid (based on the US Recommended Dietary Allowance), folic acid excess and UMFA are an emerging concern.

Unmetabolized Folic Acid (UMFA) in the blood.

2. 5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid (5-MTHF) In addition to UMFA, levels of the most predominant active folate in serum, 5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid (5-MTHF), is measured. Low levels are indicative of folate deficiency and are associated with a separate set of health conditions.

Metametrix Clinical Lab
3425 Corporate Way
Duluth, GA 30096

YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siKbaGqcdJU

Dr. Richard Lord discusses laboratory evaluations for synthetetic vitamins. The discussion focuses on the differences between Vitamins D3 and D2, and 5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid (5-MTHF) and Unmetabolized Folic Acid (UMFA).

I have many more links. My son has a LOT of the listed links to a MTHFR (damaged) gene problem...starting with...get this...tongue tied at birth! Should have been our first "warning sign".

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Marnie, that is a lot of great information. I am glad Dr. Oz us aware if MTHFR and is alerting the public but depression is only part of it. Too bad he did not get into all the diseases associated with it.

Feelfit and I took the same test. She was the one who directed me to the site.

I hope the recommendations that come with the test results are enough to get me started. I don't know if I will need further help.

For MTHFR, I am taking methylfolate. I also take the B12 just to be safe. For CBS which I am pretty sure I have, I am on a vegan diet. I have the dip sticks to measure sulfate and mine is 1600, as high as it gets. The diet will help with this. I also take RNA, which I just ran out of. I should get yucca. GABA helps me stay calmer.

I am taking the neurological health formula which is basically a vitamin/mineral. I take phosphatidylserine which helps depression, dementia, healing etc. I take a few drops of molybdenum which is often missing. I take CoQ10 and ALA with ALCAR. Also vitamin D3.

--------------------

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you imagine what might happen if a fetus inherits a defective MTHFR gene and can't process folic acid...

and the pregnant mother ups her take of SYNTHETIC folic acid?

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Babies can be born with spina bifada, cleft palette, tied tongue, prone to autism etc.

When I was pregnant with both of my children I did not take synthetic vitamins. I took brewer's yeast. I did not know any different then. That is just what I did.

--------------------

feelfit
Member # 12770

Yaskos results include a clear cut plan. The plan, however is all supplements that are sold through her site. If you don't have a problem with that, you should be 'ok'.

I think they also offer phone support.

To be honest, I don't want to deal with it myself. I have too many mutations and I imagine that I'm going to be travelling a rough road. I'll let Dr. Roberts pave my way.

My parents live in Metropolitan Detroit, so Toledo, OH is only 45 minutes from them. So Dr. Roberts is very do-able for me.

Manybites, I think that knowing these genetic things for the sub-set of us who stay very sick on treatment is important. This is only my opinion, some would beg to differ.

I can't comment until I do the work- but I will say that many things are falling into place with me.

Neff, I am not following any plan at this moment. waiting for my appt.

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Marnie's Dr. Oz link explains a lot. My poor mom and brother both have bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.

I am heteroxygous for the C677T mutation and negative for the A1298C mutation in the MTHFR gene. Do I still need to supplement for this?

[ 05-07-2012, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Catgirl ]

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

We need �methyl� groups.

Certain MTHFR defect = can�t get methyl from folate (can�t convert folate -> L-Methylfolate) -> need to get methyl group from betaine (which gets its methyl groups from choline).

Choline levels drop = �fatty liver��up goes inflammation.

Fatty liver = (liver enzymes) �increased CYP4A expression with a ***decrease in CYP4F ***genes may promote the progression of steatosis to steatohepatitis.� (Sorry unable to link.)

From fatty liver to inflamed fatty liver.

"�catalytic ability of CYP4Fs to ***inactivate*** pro-inflammatory LTB4" (good thing when CYP4F is UP, not down!)

leukotriene B 4 (LTB4), a potent chemoattractant involved in

prompting inflammation.

CYP4F (Cytochrome P4504F) enzymes metabolize endogenous molecules including leukotrienes, prostaglandins and arachidonic acid�.oops�what if CYP4F is DECREASED?

CYP4F down (driven down by choline deficient fatty liver) = inflammation up.

LOW choline = fatty liver. Impacts renal functioning too!

Also excess glucose converted to palmitic acid + delta-9 desaturase (= Stearoyl-CoA desaturase ) = Palmitoleic acid (***Omega 7 fatty acid***) = palmitoleate (high concentration in the liver).

Omega 7 looks like one of the "good guys".

It is a common constituent of the triglycerides of human adipose (fat) tissue.

Palmitoleic acid supports cell regeneration which maybe why the liver cells can regenerate really fast (after damage from drugs).

AST and ALT levels (high) = suspect choline deficiency.

GREAT (!) liver info. site at Tuberose.com re: liver detoxification.

Try to find the link. I am unable to post the direct link here.

List of nutrients that help/are involved is amazing.

Answering the question above:

"Methlyenetetrahydrofolate reductace (MTHFR) is a key enzyme in the metabolism of homocysteine.

Mutations in the MTHFR gene have been reported as causes of hyperhomocysteinemia. The most common MTHFR mutation, C677T, is present in the homozygous state in 5-10% of the general Caucasian population.

In homozygous individuals, this results in a thermolabile variant of the enzyme with decreased activity.

Individuals homozygous for the C677T mutation are predisposed to developing hyperhomocysteinemia, particularly when deficient in folate."

Shoot...I can't link that quote. Find it. Kimball Genetics MTHFR DNA test

Then...on the internet "Google" this:

Foods high in folate

Let food be thy medicine...whenever possible.

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie

Based on parts of your post... Organic Lecithin Oil is very beneficial for the liver.

I can't remember the country... but they use lecithin oil to dissolve gallstones (aggressive therapy - 3 tbsp or more per day, with lemon, etc)

Lecithin provides choline, phospholipids, phosphatidylserine, and more.

I started it recently and like it. Take it right off the spoon.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Just had a free consult with the lab that did my MTHFR testing.

With me, it seems NOTHING is cut and dry. The lab that performed the test was Health Diagnostic Laboratory. The lady was very nice in reviewing my info.

I am homozygous for MTHFR (meaning I inherited a gene from each side of my family.) Puts me at higher risk....

From the lab's perspective... they are most interested in seeing if this is affecting homocysteine levels, putting patients at higher risk for heart disease, etc. (She did not know about it affecting glutathione levels, sulphur sensitivity, etc. And said there seems to be a lot of controversy out there related to MTHFR. She said she will try to get me more info if she can and will get back to me.)

Well, for me my homocysteine was normal, which is good. Only if homocysteine is elevated, they THEN test folate levels and B12 levels in the blood. They didn't do this with me because my levels were normal, but I had my doctor run these tests separately. GOOD THING I DID. Because my
B12 was high, as was my folate. In this case, she said I SHOULD NOT supplement as it could be problematic to do so.

She said my results were not typical.

So there you have it.....

To be on the safe side, make sure, regardless of your MTHFR results, have your folate and B12 levels checked before supplementing.

Also was told never to take regular folic acid because my body does not have the protein to break it down. Whole foods contain the methylated version of folic acid that we want.

I was hoping to hear, just take this and that and your problems will start to fix themselves. Very disappointing. Oh well.....

ralphi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ralphi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm heterozygous (one copy) for A1298C. BUT normal homocystine.

No increased clotting risk, so far as my doc has told me, just more trouble with toxins and can only tolerate about half the normal dose of some drugs (but I knew that anyway from experience).

It is great to have affirmation that I'm sensitive to meds, though! So many docs over the years told me I was just imagining my reactions to drugs...

Posts: 330 | From TN | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Tammy you need to consult with someone else!

Just because you have high levels of B12 and folate in your blood does not mean you are assimilating it - could be just the opposite.

"Actually, if we flood you with folic acid that you cannot use, we can block absorption of the sparse 5-methyl folate present in your diet, "

If you have low homocysteine, it probably means your have CBS upregulation. 90% of patients test positive for this mutation. Read about it here:

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

CBS, Cystathionine Beta Synthase, operates up to ten times normal, converting homocysteine to cystathionine.
The excess cystathionine generates sulfur breakdown products (sulfates and sulfites) which stimulate fight or flight response,

Ammonia is produced from dietary protein. With CBS there is more ammonia than the system can handle. It takes 2 BH4 molecules to process one ammonia molecule so BH4 is depleted.

BH4 is necessary to generate neurotransmitters, dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine as well as nitric oxide, our key vasoprotective molecule. So having the CBS mutation sets you up for neurological, psychological and cardiovascular diseases.

Sulfite is overproduced in the CBS up regulation. Sulfate is less toxic than sulfite but it will stimulate the adrenergic flight or flight limb of the autonomic nerverous system and stimulate a cortisol stress response, revving you up into an unrelenting biochemical overdrive.

Also affected, Hydrogen sulfide which produces brain fog,
Alpha-keto gluatrate which leads to excitotoxictity.

This is all very complicated so getting an expert to help you understand and treat is really important.

--------------------

feelfit
Member # 12770

you guys keep talking about MTHFR. This is where you are getting confused. MTHFR is only one mutation.

To only look at it, in some cases, would be akin to trying to repair boat leaks with bubble gum.

Glutathione, and sulfur issues are determined by different genes.....here is an example, I have mutations in:

MTHFR
VDR TAQ
VDR FOK
MAO A
ACHT
MTRR
BHMT
CBS
SHMT
NOS

Do you see what i'm saying? MTHFR is only one of many mutations. You could have another mutation that does not allow you to process B vitamins- thus, fixing the MTHFR could do more harm than good, initially.

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nefferdun,

What are the precursors to BH4?

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie, I had no idea the body could accumulate unmetabolized folic acid (Dr. Lord's presentation-above link). Thank you for posting this. My doc wants me to see a cardiologist. Now I know why.

The Kimball link you suggested is also a good one (below).

Thanks Marnie!

http://www.kimballgenetics.com/tests-mthfr.html

Foods...

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/folic-acid-foods/

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About bh4-

http://www.life-enhancement.com/article_template.asp?id=841

-

http://me-cfsmethylation.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115

-

*Note - homeopathic...

http://www.nutrimedical.com/products.jhtml?method=view&product.id=4013

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

I just ran across info. that helps make this clearer:

... heterozygous (1 copy of C677T) and homozygous (2 copies of C677T) MTHFR mutations.

The biggest differences in recommendations between these two types of mutations are:

1. folic acid needs to be avoided more seriously by homozygous (2 copies) individuals

2. the amount of *methylfolate* required for homozygous (2 copies) mutations is greater

3. the blood thinning requirement is greater for homozygous (2 copies) individuals

http://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutation-basic-protocol/2012/02/24/

So having TWO copies of C677T - TWO of the same (homozygous) - really changes the picture.

I've also read where B12 is the real workhorse.

It looks like MTHFR is a pretty COMMON mutation, but certainly additional mutations further complicate the situation.

I can't help but wonder if pushing extra *synthetic* folic acid (prenatally) is helpful or harmful. Does it LEAD TO genetic alterations?

Marnie
Member # 773

BH4...interesting!!!

BH4 is an enzyme that is used to make serotonin, dopamine, thyroid hormones, melanin and to

detox ammonia.

It is recharged by folate and/or niacin and/or vitamin C.

With certain combinations of the MTHFR gene, some people have a limited supply of BH4.

Those people can probably be identified as those who have tendencies towards depression, low energy, all-or-nothing focus, hypothyroid (even subclinical), are pale, and may have elevated blood ammonia.

These people will do best on small amounts of very high quality protein, and lots of methyl folate.

Tetrabiopterin seems to be a common misspelling, and is generating a bunch of google hits, so I'll include that here, too for those of us who can't keep *that* many syllables in our heads at once. [Wink]

Reasons to Suspect

If you have low dopamine AND low serotonin AND low thyroid function (even subclinical). If you have high blood ammonia. If you have MTHFR polymorphisms.

Sources
The main way to increase BH4 is by recycling it with folate, niacin and/or vitamin C.

New BH4 can be made from the purine GTP, so high purine foods may be helpful.

Also, the body makes ammonia when it processes protein, and the BH4 pool is depleted when it detoxes that ammonia.

Limiting dietary protein to the RDA is the most effective way to keep ammonia levels reasonable.

http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/bh4.php

ralphi...my son...same situation! He too cannot tolerate normal doses of ALL drugs. Oh my gosh...what I've learned her from you all maybe what I've been looking for a long time (to help him).

feelfit
Member # 12770

!!!!! yay, Marnie!
nefferdun
Member # 20157

I am one of those people that just tries to put things together by intuition and the way they appear to fit, but this is one time I am going to follow the directions! That will be hard enough.

I agree with Sparkle, you need the test to get the whole picture. It is a lot more than just MTHFR or even that and CBS. It is extremely complicated like chemistry. You can't isolate the mutations because they are totally interactive, producing different outcomes and requirements.

We are used to a linear approach taking X to treat Y. It does not work that way with this because it is not linear. It is a tangled web that needs an expert to unravel. Even most doctors do not have the intelligence to be able to put all of this together. That is why it is not mainstream.

--------------------

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Wow, fabulous link Marnie (the one that clears up differences between 1 or 2 copies of C677T). You find the best stuff!

I've been taking way too much methylfolate and folic acid). I'm surprised my doc didn't say anything about this. Maybe it's different for people with lyme and company, as lyme tends to suck all the nutrients out of us? I wonder if we need just a little bit more.

I'm with you on the synthetic folic acid (prenatally) and wonder if genetic alterations could occur too. The word synthetic just doesn't sit well with me anyway. But I loved his webcast.

--------------------

Marnie
Member # 773

MTHFR = methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (NAD(P)H) - NADPH dependent.

So I set about to find out if Bb is impacting NADPH levels. Nope. He impacts NADH.

NADPH and NADH...

While the Staphylococcus aureus and Borrelia burgdorferi CoADRs exhibit strong preferences for NADPH and NADH,

respectively...

PMID: 18399646

So...staph likes NADPH, but Bb likes NADH.

NADH and NADPH are reduced forms of NAD+ and NADP+, meaning that they have been "reduced" by

*gaining* electrons.

The difference between NADH and NADPH in terms of their composition and structure is a single phosphate group.

NADH (Bb's favorite) participates in catabolic reactions, reactions that break down molecules to release energy,

while NADPH participates in anabolic reactions, reactions that consume energy in order build up or synthesize larger molecules.

NADH is found in mitochondria (powerhouses of the cells), NADPH is not.

(My note here...if Bb is stealing NADH - made all the time - from the mitochondria...)

NADH is a coenzyme that incorporates niacin and involved in the Krebs cycle. Has been used to relieve jet lag and as a treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome. No known precautions when the daily dosage is kept at 5 mg or lower.

Every living cell, from bacteria up to human, contains coenzyme nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH), a coenzyme critical to cellular energy producfion.

Cells that use the most energy, such as brain and muscle cells, also hold the highest amounts of NADH.

Human heart cells, for instance, contain a whopping 90 mcg of NADH per gram of tissue.

NADH is involved in the synthesis of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the body's primary intracellular energy source.

When NADH is oxidized in cellular energy-producing organelles called mitochondria, it forms water and energy.

This energy is preserved as ATP. Every energy-consuming reaction requires ATP, so the more NADH a cell has available, the more energy it can produce.

To keep up with the cellular demand for energy, the body continuously synthesizes NADH (a process that involves niacin, a B-complex vitamin).

NADH is a co-enzyme which plays an important role in cellular energy production and

Stimulates dopamine production.

In previous trials, NADH has been shown to improve cognitive functioning in Alzheimer's, Partkinson's, and depression.

NADH dramatically boots production of the neurotransmitter dopamine, a chemical messenger vital for short-term memory, involuntary movements, muscle tone and spontaneous physical-reactions.

It also meditates the release of growth hormone and dictates muscular movement. Without enough dopamine, muscles stiffen.

NADH is the most powerful antioxidant.

Conversely, co-enzyme Q-10 has a positive redox potential, and therefore is not an antioxidant at all.

It can become an antioxidant in the body if it is reduced. This reduction is achieved only in the cell and only by NADH.

(My note...CoQ10 carries hydrogen into the cells if I recall correctly. Without sufficient NADH, this may impact hydrogen transport.)

This fact implies two consequences: the intake of commercially available CoQ10 is not very meaningful unless the organism has sufficient amours of cellular NADH available to reduceCoQ10 and make it an antioxidant.

Even highly conditioned athletes have a measurable NADH deficit.

If you take commercially available CoQ10 without an equivalent does of NADH, you may

deplete the cell from NADH and thereby make the cell

energy deficient and prone to degeneration.

Thorrized, CFS is nothing more than lack of chemical Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP-cellular energy), which provides power to the body.

Chronic infections, stress, and other ailments tend to deplete the chemical.

NADH is the chemical that jumpstarts the production of ATP in the body's cells. NADH is known to trigger energy production through ATP generation.

How Oral Stabilized NADH(ENADAlert 10mg, quick acting/lozenge)

ENADAlert is the new quick acting, fast dissolving lozenge form of stabilized NADH(nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide).

NADH is the chemical that jumpstarts the production of ATP(cellular energy) in muscles.

Therefore the more NADH a cell has available, the more energy it can produce, function and live longer.

NADH is the co-factor of more than 1000 enzymes in our bodies, NADH is cellular fuel for energy production, plays a key role in DNA repair and cell regeneration, enhancer of the cellular immune system , a stimulator of dopamine, adrenaline and norepinephrine biosynthesis.

http://www.pathealthlabs.com/whatisnadh.htm

Stealing ours? Replace?

Whoa...food for thought!

sparkle7
Member # 10397

http://www.farnorthsaunas.com/drspooner-glaucoma

Sauna therapy may act to increase heat shock protein Hsp90, which is induced by even modest heating of mammalian tissues. Hsp90 interacts with specific proteins that increase the availability of a compound called tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4).

This in turn may lead increased levels of a compound called nitric oxide (NO) which is produced by an enzyme in the blood vessel linings called eNOS (endothelial nitric oxide synthase). NO is a key regulator of blood flow. NO availability is reduced early in vascular disease states, such as hypercholesterolemia, diabetes and hypertension, and throughout the progression of atherosclerosis.

This is a result of both reduced NO production and increased NO consumption by oxygen free radical. eNOS enzymatic activity appears to be determined by the availability of its cofactor BH4 (tetrahydrobiopterin). When BH4 levels are adequate, eNOS produces NO; when BH4 levels are limiting, eNOS generates superoxide, contributing to vascular oxidative stress

and endothelial dysfunction. BH4 bioavailability is determined by a balance of enzymatic synthesis and recycling, versus oxidative degradation in damaged endothelium. Augmenting vascular BH4 levels by pharmacological supplementation, by enhancing the rate of biosynthesis or by measures to reduce BH4 oxidation have been shown in experimental studies to enhance NO bioavailability.

Sauna, by stimulating the production of heat shock proteins increases the availability of BH4 through synthesis and recycling.

There are a large and rapidly increasing number of diseases that are associated with BH4 depletion and these may be candidates for sauna therapy.

Such diseases as glaucoma, hypertension, vascular endothelial dysfunction, multiple chemical sensitivity and heart failure are thought to be helped by sauna therapy. Chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia may also be helped and there are others that may be good candidates for sauna therapy.

Marnie
Member # 773

Review for others:

1.With certain combinations of the MTHFR gene, some people have a limited supply of BH4 (enzyme needed to make many neurotransmitters, etc.)

2.Hsp90 interacts with specific proteins that increase the availability of a compound called tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4).

"Some immunogens (i.e., BBI36/38) were more reactive with sera from mice than Lyme patients,

while additional membrane proteins (i.e., FlaB, P66, LA7, and Hsp90) were recognized more strongly with sera from patients diagnosed with early-localized, early-disseminated,

or late (chronic)-stage Lyme disease."

http://iai.asm.org/content/74/7/3864.short

Heat shock protein 90 (HSP90) is a highly conserved molecular chaperone that

facilitates the maturation of a wide range of proteins (known as clients).

Clients are enriched
in signal transducers, including kinases and transcription factors. Therefore,

HSP90 regulates
diverse cellular functions and exerts marked effects on normal biology, disease and
evolutionary processes.

http://web.wi.mit.edu/lindquist/pub/PDFs/Taipale2010NRMCB.pdf

Another review time:

Hsp90 (beneficial) helps proteins to "mature". Hsp90 (with the help of other proteins) increases the availability of BH4 (beneficial enzyme, a protein), but those with the MTHFR problem have a limited supply of BH4.

So in lyme, the body (fighting) is trying to increase BH4 via Hsp90, but those who have a MTHFR problem have limited supply of BH4.

[ 05-09-2012, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement