LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » B-12 deficiency -- are you taking enough (I wasn't)? What the doc's don't know...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B-12 deficiency -- are you taking enough (I wasn't)? What the doc's don't know...
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xLLc2rFPFA

[ 03-09-2014, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was EXCELLENT! Everyone here should watch this!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the gluten connection and more. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0da1xrELcA

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing!! I had cut back on my dose and frequency of my B12 shots trying to save some money and started to have a hard time with fatigue.

Back to doing them every day. [bonk]

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daynise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daynise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was awesome. Thanks so much for posting Catgirl!
Posts: 428 | From Midwest | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Me too! The gluten and sugar thing surprised me as well.

--------------------

TX Lyme Mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Catgirl,
Thanks for posting these links, especially the 2nd video about the gluten connection because that video emphasizes the importance of the methyl form of B-12.

In contrast, the first video discusses only the cyano- form of cobalamine, which isn't nearly as good as other forms of B-12 because it is derived from the cyanide molecule, and it can become toxic if you take too much of it.

The first video showed the boy injecting cyanocobalomine, which is red in color, and although he improved, he didn't have a very good outcome towards the end of the video, according to his mother's evaluation. The first video is somewhat outdated because it focuses primarily on pernicious anemia.

Newer thinking about B-12 deficiencies is coming from the CFS community which has been following Amy Yasko's autism protocols. (Yasko recognizes the importance of avoiding gluten too, of course.)

Here's the link to a video by CFS researcher, Rich van Konynenburg, PhD which he gave at an ME/CFS Conf. in Sweden in 2011. It discusses methyl- and other forms B-12.

http://iaomt.media.fnf.nu/2/skovde_2011_me_kroniskt_trotthetssyndrom/$%7Bweburl%7D

I found the link above on the homepage of a CFS Yahoo forum pertaining to Dr. Amy Yasko's methylation treatment. (B-12 is part of the methylation cycle.)
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/CFS_Yasko/

Thanks also to Lymetoo for giving this video an EXCELLENT rating -- or else I might have scrolled on by and not taken time to click on it.

BTW, methyl B-12 is available in an oral (sublingual) form. Injections are better for really sick patients, of course, but they are inconvenient and they require a doctor's Rx. Here's the brand of oral, sublingual methyl B-12 which is preferred by followers of Amy Yasko's methylation treatment program.
http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Methyl-B-12-1000-mcg-100-Lozenges/129

This brand of B-12 dissolves more slowly than other brands. That's supposed to an advantage, even if it is an inconvenience. It also comes in a larger dosage size (5000 mcg.).
http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Methyl-B-12-5000-mcg-60-Lozenges/117

Be sure to read the customer reviews for these products.

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope to watch the second video later today!

TXLM.. I thought the first video mentioned the methyl? It was in one of the graphics. (?)

Faithful.. I've been lax in taking my shots lately and that symptom list sounded like me! I took a shot this morning.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo,
You're right! They did mention methyl B-12 towards the very end of the video afterall. I had had several interruptions while watching it, so I never quite finished the very last part of the first video -- until I realized from what you said about it that I had probably missed seeing that part. Thanks for catching my oversight.

One other criticism of mine though is that the only thing that either of these two videos talked about was "folic acid" -- instead of "folate".

Folic acid is bad because it depletes B-12. Furthermore, folic acid has NOT been proven to prevent neural tube defects either. What is needed is the folate form instead. There's a lot of information about the important differences between folic acid and folate in the links listed in my previous post above.

These two videos are both excellent though otherwise, in spite of their shortcomings, because they do help to create awareness of the severity of B-12 deficiencies.

However, both of these two videos are a little bit outdated because there's so much better, newer information available on both B-12 and on folate that can be found on the internet by searching for MTHFR and for methylation and by using other related search terms. These videos are a very good starting point. Nevertheless, it's equally important to continue to search for the newest materials on this subject as well.

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Jacob Teitelbaum's newsletter today contained an article about using B-12 to treat Alzheimer's and dementia--(1st link, below). The link to an article entitled "B Assays May Be Missing More Than a Third of [Pernicous] Anemia" appeared at the bottom of Teitelbaum's "Alzheimer's and Dementia" article as its reference citation--(2nd link, below).

http://www.endfatigue.com/health_articles_a-b/Alzheimers-b12-dificiency-pernicious-anemia.html

http://www.medpagetoday.com/HematologyOncology/Anemia/33923

The next two links are from NEJM. The first link was found listed as the reference citation at the bottom of the MedPageToday article, and the second link was found at the end of the first article from NEJM.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1204070
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1210169

Since doctors are much more impressed with sources from the mainstream medical literature, it's always a good to take the trouble to chase down such references, so that's why I've included these 2 articles from NEJM as well.

kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was only able to watch a little ways in on the B12 video before the brain went.

So looking for the bottom line...

I do recall taking B12 shots when I was first dx for a short time back in 2003.

did a search and noticed Dr. Mercola has some B 12 spray....

when brain is functioning better I will give that a try.

[ 03-09-2013, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: kam ]

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

If you can read past the lines here, and the video, I simply was not getting enough B-12. Not even 5000 mcg was cutting it. Lyme patients' immune systems are compromised. People on chemo take up to 15,000. Every lyme patient should watch the video. The second one is good too (much shorter).

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Up for more views. Someone here is bound to have this issue!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, do people who don't have fatigue as a major lyme symptom still need more B-12? I am taking B-complex, B-5, and a multivitamin.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

You never know. Be sure to watch the video.. if your attention span is short (I can relate).. then watch the last 12 min or so.

Doctors are not testing properly for this.

You could have a severe deficiency and it might manifest itself mostly in neuro symptoms. For some, only the shots will correct it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like!!! Like!!! Like!!!

B12 is critically important!!!

We cannot methylate without methyl-B12!!!

Without methylation, our immune system, neurotransmitters, detox capacity, antioxidant status, cellular energy and metabolism all suffer dramatic impacts.

Without methylation, we age faster, cannot detox anything (including basic byproducts of protein metabolism), and our genes can decay (mutate; read: cancer).

Every tissue and cell in our body depends on methylation for something...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I click on the video & it says it is private?
Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that just happened to me too
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0da1xrELcA
The link did the same thing to me when I clicked on it. I then did a search for B12 and if you search on youtube type in:
Symptoms of Vitamin B 12 Deficiency Glutenology
You'll find the first link/video.
Nice video! Thanks! I have ALL THAT!
I take B12 shots, and am feeling better with a gluten free diet, but my stomach acid/heartburn has been horrible lately. It's all connected!

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

hadlyme .. that is not the same video... I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xLLc2rFPFA

If Catgirl doesn't mind, I'll fix the link in her post.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Tx Lyme Mom for the recap of the info, that B12 should be in methyl B12 not cyano.

B12 was recommended to me, every other day, to help with brain healing, while taking artemisinin to help clear the brain & kill blebs.

I got the cyano type.

Many thanks and catgirl others for the links.

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. I'll try and figure out what I need to take when anle. Typing this wiht eyes closed and brain barely working this am. ...and inflamed.

Bottom line anyone on what to purchase??

My primary care doc is down the hill....an hour and a half away. I don't have a LLMD.

And rarely see my primary care doc.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen this before but forgot a lot of it. It is something we need to remember.

Animals get b12 from grazing. Since most animals are factory raised on dry lots, they do not graze and they are B12 deficient. Even people who eat meat can be deficient.

If you grow your own root vegetables (organic) and do not scrub and peel them, you get some of the same B12 grazing animals do. But if you are vegan, it is a good idea to supplement it anyway.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember my mom getting regular B-12 shots after being diagnosed with celiac disease.

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8885 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Kam, maybe your Dr would prescribe a vial of methylcobalamin? I give the shots to myself.

The video says that the elderly used to be given B12 shots rather routinely. Now, they do NOT!

Can you say "Alzheimer's?"

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The video that hadlyme posted is also excellent and a lot shorter. It also mentions that a B12 blood serum level test may not be accurate and to get the MMA test and the homocysteine test as well.

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8885 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for posting this!

Have been on methylcobalamin 25mg/ml injections since Sept 3 times a week.

At first, thought it was helping--but am getting scary tired and wonder if this isn't enough? Memory getting worse and fingertips feel odd.

The link says we need 1000 mg/day and wondering how this translates to the injections?

I've had enlarged red cells in last two blood draws.

LLMD rxd the b12 shots back then. New PCP isn't concerned about the enlarged red cells. Thinks this is all thyroid. Very low in Vit D also.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hiker .. Yes, it's also very good. But Lyme patients really need to be on the lookout for the symptoms they mention in the longer video.

Sure sounds like stuff I hear every day here.

Is that all we need to know? The MMA and homocysteine?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Marz:

The link says we need 1000 mg/day and wondering how this translates to the injections?

Wish I knew!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kam, when I was out of town I had forgotten to bring my shots so bought Methylcobalamin B12 at a health food store. Made by Vitamin Research Products.

One dropper is 1000mcg, but just checked their website and it comes in 5000mcg/dropper too.

They put cinnamon in it and it tastes good too.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have methylation issues isn't hydroxocobalamin used with good success?

I take Perque B12 per Dr Ben Lynch's protocol (which is in line with Yasko and Rich Von K)

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up
Posts: 697 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement