LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » UTI Treatment Question - Macrobid???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UTI Treatment Question - Macrobid???
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwick25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I believe that I might have a UTI. I am not currently on any antibiotics for Lyme & Coinfections....only supplements.

I'm wondering whether the drugs used to treat a UTI are safe to take. If they are steroid based?

I want to make sure that if I need an antibiotic, I am taking one that is safe for someone with Lyme.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
jwick25

[ 09-09-2013, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: jwick25 ]

Posts: 711 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get frequent UTI's. I have been on Keflex, Cipro, Levaquin, Bactrim in the past.

You might flare on the antibiotics since they also kill off co-infections (ex. Bart). I always felt like I had the flu on Levaquin, but now I know it's because I had Bartonella.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They will probably do a dipstick test in the office.
If it shows positive for a UTI of somesort, they will likely give you an antibiotic such as cipro or bactrim.
Maybe also a pill to take that will numb your urinary tract for 24 hours so you are more comfortable.

I don't believe any of the above are steroidal.

Laxmom is completely right-you may flare a coinfection.

But UTI's should not be left alone, especially in a patient battling lyme and co.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwick25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I just found out my doctor is calling in Cipro.

I don't yet know how many days I'll need to treat.

I am very concerned about flaring. I am wondering....do you mean that I might notice symptoms only while on the Cipro....

....or that the Cipro might send me into a full on flare up that I would wind up having to treat again???

I do have Bartonella/Babesia.

I have been trying to cure naturally (apple cider vinegar, cranberry pills, lots of water, etc.) but am not really gettig anywhere.

Not getting worse....just not getting better either, and I know it's important to not let this type of infection go on.

I have been off antibiotics for over a year and a half. I would hate to get sick all over again because of a UTI. [Frown]

[ 09-03-2013, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: jwick25 ]

Posts: 711 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been off all antibiotics for 8 months, and last week had a cold get worse and worse, yesterday, walk- in

clinic said 'bronchitis' although my cough is not bad, and lung x-ray clear- $20 for Azithromycin Z-pack, I bought it, (sort of laughed at the dose, after LLMD's dosing)

debated... will my Lyme flare? Bart.? I wasn't on that much Azith. in the past...

But I am taking it. I'm fine. Your situation sounds much more in dire need of an antibiotic- I'd for sure take it if I were you-

We have to move on with life, and if another medical infection presents itself, get it treated. My take.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah jwick, you need that antibiotic. Untreated UTI's can lead to kidney infection then lead to much worse...you don't want any of that.

I meant you might notice symptoms while on it. I felt fluish on it one time, yet nothing the next.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely take it!! You don't need a kidney infection!!

Just watch for any issues with your joints or muscles and don't do any strenuous exercise for a month or so.

Also up your magnesium intake to protect your muscles and tendons. (quinolones deplete magnesium and that is why your tendons can have issues)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Thank you all so much for your responses. They are truly helpful!

I will only need to take Cipro for 5 days (2 pills each day).

I think you're all correct. For something like this.....you have to treat. I read so many things about people curing UTIs without antibiotics and think...

...why can't that work for me? Although sometimes your symptoms might seem to disappear....yet you could still have an infection.

surpise: I'm so glad you're doing well on your Rx. Hope you're feeling better soon!

lax mom: I'm relieved to know you only felt differently while on the medication.

GretaM: Thanks so much for your advice!

Lymetoo just gave me an excuse to not exercise....and I love it! [Smile]

Hopefully, being on this Rx for just a short time won't put me at high risk for any tendon issues.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] ... only for one month!!

What has kept UTI's away for me for 3 1/2 yrs is taking D-Mannose twice a day. No problems since then. I used to get them way too often!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Lymetoo.....you said "a month or so."

As far as I'm concerned, "or so" can mean anything I'd like. LOL!!!! [Smile]

I used to take D-Mannose when I was on antibiotics. I'll have to start that again. I'm so glad you mentioned that.

[Smile]

OtterJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OtterJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jwick, the Cipro can help fight things like bart or lyme which may be causing the UTI. I have had

repeat infections of the bladder which I understand is an issue for about 1/3 of lyme patients. Cipro

is my go-to drug when I have infections that they can culture out. I think that inflammation caused

by lyme or coinfections set us up for e-coli, staph and other things that we might ordinarily shake

off. I agree that mannose powder might help-- though it didn't help me.

Posts: 482 | From Oregon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jwick, I had recurring UTI's or at least what I thought were UTIs. Long story short, my UTI symptoms turned out to be from parasites. I was so thrilled to discover this. Parasite meds and herbs have gotten rid of what I thought were UTIs.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Thanks, OtterJ and Catgirl!

I'm glad I only need to be on this for 5 days. Yesterday afternoon, I got hit with some heavy fatigue. Other than that, all is good.

The infection is already clearing.

I want to ask my LLMD about parasites. I mentioned it once, and at the time, he did not think we needed to address it as I had a lot going on.

Maybe now that things have calmed down, it might be a good time to ask again.

Can I continue my probiotic while on Cipro? I know that is a silly question, as any time we are on antibiotics is the best time to take them. I need to call my pharmacist to ask about timing.

Catgirl: I don't want to get too personal....but would you mind advising how long it took for your parasite treatment to eliminate the problem?

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a couple of rounds of the parasite meds (bilt, pyrantel, iver, albenza, alinia) and it went away. Also salt/c when not on meds. All the itching, burning urine, and pain was gone. Less frequency urinating now too.

Parasite treatment is an on going thing. These things have been growing comfortably in us our whole lives (just my opinion), and everything and everyone has them. They are part of nature, and they are everywhere. Lyme patients just seem to have more of them. I don't think they are a problem though until the immune system gets knocked down by lyme and company, toxins, etc. Then you have to knock them back (just like lyme).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Thanks for the information.

It's such a gross thing to even think about....but the reality is....if I have them, I want to knock them out as best I can.

Glad to hear several of your symptoms are gone. We have enough to deal with! [Smile]

Catgirl
Member # 31149

You're welcome. :)

--------------------

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Ok...quick update.

Last night, I took pill #5 out of #10. Just as I was excited to be halfway through treatment...

...My thighs (fronts) began to get very sore and crampy. They stayed that way for a few hours. I put some heat on them which seemed to help a bit.

I wouldn't say it was intense, but it was bad enough to keep me awake for about an hour after going to bed.

I'm going to call the doctor this morning, but wanted to toss this out and see if anyone happens to know....

Is this a normal side effect, or do I now have to worry about that tendon issue Cipro can cause? If I wind up with a permanant issue over 5 little pills.....grrrrrr.

If I have to stop the med....not sure what would happen next. I don't want the infection to return.

Thanks....

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The front of the thigh doesn't sound like tendon to me, but I could be wrong.

Are you taking magnesium away from the Cipro?

I have a confession- earlier I said I started Azith after being off antibiotics for 8 months and I was 'fine'

Well, the next day or so, after the Azith. had been building, I got hit with herx.

I am finishing my prescription- upping detox- I should be taking it easy more- I push myself too far -

Anyway- IDK. I haven't stopped treating these last months- doing herbs and treatents for parasites and yeast.

But I got a whopping horrid headache / migraine that screamed Bart. or some infection.

Hope you are doing okay-

--------------------
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Hi surprise....

My doctor advised to stop the Cipro (I last took it last night), push a lot of liquid and rest. He is not prescribing another drug for the UTI at this time (might not even be necessary).

Come Monday, if I still have symptoms, I should call back.

I still have the cramping, though not quite as bad as last night.

I'm taking a cranberry supplement in the meantime....just to make sure everything is in check with urinary tract health.

My hope is that no permanent damage has been done and I will feel better the longer I am off the Cipro.

I hope you're hanging in there as well. Those herxes are just the worst.

Oh....no magnesium for me.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take probiotics, even after you are off of all antibiotics. Take them two hours away from abx.

Now you need to increase your magnesium supplementation due to taking Cipro, which depletes magnesium. That is why you get the side effects from the quinolones and other drugs. (when you do not take enough mag)

Consider D-Mannose PILLS, not the powder. So much easier and that way you get a more consistent dosage. I buy NOW brand from Swanson's Vitamins. Very inexpensive.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by jwick25:

Lymetoo.....you said "a month or so."

As far as I'm concerned, "or so" can mean anything I'd like. LOL!!!! [Smile]

-

[Big Grin]

Stay away from heavy exercise as long as your muscles or tendons are painful. I would do one month for sure even if you have no pain.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Thank you, Lymetoo! [Smile]

I actually do take probiotics daily...year round....regardless of whether on antibiotics.

I'll have to look into magnesium supplements. Meanwhile, I'll try to eat magnesium rich foods (fish, bananas, etc.). Thank you for this advice.

I'll get some D-Mannose as well.

Now I just have to hope that everything will fall back into place.

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

So I ordered D-Mannose pills. Should have them soon.

I've been drinking a lot of water all weekend....as the doctor requested.

I feel like some UTI symptoms might be coming back. I also still have leg (thigh) discomfort....although not quite as bad.

I am so scared that this is all going to cause my Lyme to come out of remission. What if the leg pain is from that?

Or, could the Cipro have killed off some Lyme bacteria....which caused a herx? Could that be what I am experiencing? I stopped the drug late Thursday and have no idea how long it stays active in your system.

Wondering if it could still be killing something off?

Anyway, I just needed to vent a bit. [Frown]

This is all so stressful. I have been in remission for almost 2 years...! If I have to go through that nightmare all over again all because of a UTI.....grrrrrrrrr!!!!!

I just want the doctor to fix this so that I can get rid of any infection and build my immune system back up.

At this point, I want to get tested to make sure my kidneys are ok.

Sorry....it's just been a worrysome couple of days. [shake]

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Hello,

My doctor now wants to prescribe a drug called Macrobid. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Doing an online search scared me to death as so many people have claimed to take this drug and wind up with serious issues (lung, etc.).

I am also going to give a sample to confirm the problem at hand (UTI).

I wish he would just give me Bactrim. I know I can take that drug without side effects.

Should I ask him to switch?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I THINK Macrobid is similar to Bactrim. Have you looked it up to see?

I would not worry about any of these drugs causing a relapse of Lyme. A herx is much more likely.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Thanks, Lymetoo. [Smile]

I actually asked if the doctor could prescribe Bactrim...if he thought it would be effective.

He was nice enough to do so. I just want to knock out this infection once and for all. I feel much more comfortable taking a drug that I have used before and tolerate well.

It's a relief to know the way I am feeling might just be a herx. I have been so anxious about this. Then I realized....anxiety is one of my big symptoms when I deal with this.

Hopefully, the Bactrim will do the trick, and I can be on my way to feeling better.

My legs still hurt, which I think is weird, but I can always follow up with the doctor if it continues.

Thanks for the support. [Smile]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

"old thread alert"

D-Mannose info:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/04/20/a-simple-natural-treatment-for-urinary-tract-health.aspx

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

rowingmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 41213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rowingmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D-Mannose works wonderfully. I stocked up after our last go-round, 7 years ago, and haven't needed it since.

--------------------
13 yo DX PANS/Tourette's/Asperger's/ADHD treated for Igenex positive bartonella/IND lyme with 2 years of abx treatment. Weaned off abx April 2013 at 80% improvement. Continuing with Buhner bartonella/babesia protocols. Aug 2014 99% improvement.

Posts: 265 | From Canada, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

I am also taking it regularly, but recently realized yeast and constipation were giving me UTI symptoms.

Still keeping the D-mannose, thank you for information.

--------------------
doing okay!

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If d-mannose doesn't work for you or seems not to be strong enough to fight the infection(like myself)....

try Berberine. Fantastic stuff. Be ready for a yeast, fungi, maybe some bacterial dye off and a pretty strong herx for the first month.

I started low at only 400mg and oh my, herxed for 3 weeks strong. Went to 800mg and have made progress in so many areas.

Berberine rocks!!!!!!

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement