LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » will one baby aspirin a day make gastritis worse?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: will one baby aspirin a day make gastritis worse?
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stopped my aspirin and ibuprofen a week ago cuz i am dealing with gastritis

Now im.a little worried cuz it was prescrubed for my heart

Is the reason they tell u to take it to thin the blood or something else?

I take ginko...do u think that will thin my blood enough?

Ty. Its really hard to get thru to primary

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Q: "will one baby aspirin a day make gastritis worse? "

Yes. A friend of mine nearly lost his life due to one baby aspirin a day when his stomach literally broke open, bleeding from the inside . . . he was in a coma and really nearly died. He asked all of us to share this detail so that no one else needlessly go that route, or beyond.

you say that it's hard to get through to your primary doctor but if that's who's got you on the aspirin, he / she is not likely going to have advanced in knowledge and scope all of the sudden.

There are other ways to support the heart without the risk of stomach bleeding that even one baby aspirin can cause. Many other ways.

It's good that you stopped ibuprofen as that, IMO, is very dangerous for the blood vessels, it causes constriction of blood vessels for the entire body (and that also stresses kidney function which, in turn, stress the heart).

What good is it to try to thin blood if also taking an agent that constricts blood vessels? And thinning the blood is not always a good thing, anyway.

Addressing why your blood may be "thick" is what matters most. It often is with lyme. Yet, so many safer ways to address it than with aspirin.

Gingko may or may not be good for you but best to consult with a LL ND to be sure. It may be too stimulating to the CNS if you have adrenal issues. Sure was for me.

Other things to consider asking a LL ND to see if they are right for your body at this point in time:

Magnesium. Hawthorn. Read all you can about how to support the heart in a healthy fashion from the work of Stephen Sinatra, MD . . . . good links here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=077325;p=0#000000

CARDIAC INFO & SUPPORT
-

[ 01-24-2015, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
While gastritis is a major contraindication for aspirin . . .

Another factor to consider as to why aspirin is contraindicated for those with lyme: leaky gut.

Lyme, alone, often causes leaky gut. the inner layer / coating of the stomach can be severely compromised, allowing food (or whatever we put in our stomach) and that's really foreign matter to go from stomach into the blood stream and that is never a good thing.

Aspirin further compromises the integrity of the entire stomach lining.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If your doctor failed to tell you this (as someone who has gastritis), it would sure have me wonder just how good a doctor he / she is even for something so basic - and how safe my life would (not) be in his / her hands.

http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/01/a-hidden-danger-of-an-aspirin-a-day/?_r=0

A Hidden Danger of ‘an Aspirin a Day’

The New York Times - February 1, 2010

An Underappreciated Risk of an Aspirin a Day

-By Neena Abraham, M.D.

If your physician has suggested you take aspirin to reduce your risk of heart disease, it is important to remember that even small doses of daily aspirin — including “baby aspirin,” at a dose of 81 milligrams daily — can increase your risk of ulcers and bleeding.

It is important to remember that all Nsaids, including over the counter aspirin, have the potential to damage the tissue of the gastrointestinal tract.

Damage can occur anywhere, from mouth to anus.

Over-the-counter doses of aspirin, or buffered or enteric coated aspirin preparations, do NOT eliminate the risk of developing an Nsaid-related ulcer.

Your risk for bleeding is still two- to four-fold greater than if you were not taking the aspirin product at all.

. . . [full article at link above.]
-

poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't win for losing it seems.

H pylori causes ulcers. Wondering how many people taking aspirin have it.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes

gingko should help

I thought you couldn't take ibu and aspirin together?? It's a double whammy.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know butdocsdont get it

Their palm pilot says if you have high lipids you need one baby aspirin a day

I guess the palm pilot doesnt know about the ibu

The doc knows. But he cn only read...not. think

Im glad to know about ginko

What else thins blood

I take fish oil and e for heart also

And what exactly is that baby aspirin supposed to do

In a few sentences if possible

My eyes are real bad with burning and tears

Ty all

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
garlique..but with meals.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
you may not WANT to thin your blood. It's a dangerous assumption that is what's needed. However, something called rouleaux is very common for many with lyme. Detail below about that.

It will do no good to thin the blood if the blood vessels themselves are all "tight" so to speak.

I'm sorry but "a few sentences if possible" does not help with the information base we all need. If you can't read, get a trusted friend with a keen and interested mind to get the best Sinatra book and read to you.

Watch some videos, etc.

Still, to just assume your blood needs thinning can be a dangerous assumption. The brain may not like that if it's not what's needed.

I know it's frustrating to not be able to read but it's just impossible to figure this out with just the tiniest pieces of detail. It takes some reading and, if at all possible, a doctor who DOES "get it." Just because the ones you've been to to date do not, don't assume there is not that kind of doctor out there.

It's best to gather a wide range of materials to study, so that you can compare and contrasts ideas, approaches and understand the questions / solutions in depth. And, often we can't do that alone but that still does not mean it's safe to then just settle for the quickest sound byte.

One step at a time.
-

[ 01-24-2015, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Key concepts:

INLFAMMATION is a major & frequent matter for the heart & blood vessels.

Aspirin can help decrease inflammation BUT it has high risks. And, for you, it's off the list due to gastritis.

There are much safer options, including but not limited to: turmeric; garlic; hawthorn; magnesium . . . .

[but raw garlic and even garlic capsules can irritate gastritis, best to avoid garlic right now.]

Key concept: IMPAIRED CIRCULATION / CONSTRICTION -- too many jump to conclude that means the blood must be thinned. Do not just jump there. It may or may not need that. The rest of the body may not need that, especially the brain.

You can have the fibrinogen levels checked, etc. to see if you have "sticky blood" as many with lyme do. The best helper there, IMO is Prickly Ash Bark.

Blood vessel health is a very intricate dance that involves many factors, though. I hope you will be able to sort through the Cardiac thread, scroll down to find some key articles, books, etc.

MERCOLA's site is also very good for educational presentations. www.mercola.com

Search results there for "heart" -

http://search.mercola.com/results.aspx?q=heart
-

[ 01-25-2015, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Now, there is a time that an aspirin can be life saving. If someone has a heart attack, as soon as possible. That can saves lives.

And magnesium is also something to consider, see articles here about the heart, calcification (another key concept in heart health) & emergency assistance:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM - LINKS sets

Just one of many relevant articles from that set:

http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/magnesium-the-ultimate-heart-medicine

Magnesium – the Ultimate Heart Medicine
-

[ 01-24-2015, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.tahomaclinic.com/blood-viscosity-physics/

Physics of Blood Viscosity

Excerpt:

THICKNESS

Two other terms require further definition. The first is “thickness”, which is made up of total volume of blood cells (hematocrit), the deformability of red blood cells and other blood cells, and plasma viscosity.

(All of these are biophysical—not biochemical—measurements, as is “thickness”)
STICKINESS

The second parameter is “stickiness”, which includes

red cell aggregability into rouleaux (greater at lower blood pressure/diastole),

the presence of fibrinogen,

and the physico-chemical behavior of platelets.

(While some of these measurements are biophysical, others are biochemical.)

For these reasons, the measurement of “systolic” blood viscosity is the measurement of thickness, while the measurement of “diastolic” blood viscosity it measurement of both thickness and stickiness.
-

[ 01-24-2015, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginko causes reflux for me, and I can't take it.

I had to stop taking Excedrin for pain, as it was causing reflux and belching and pain, which are symptoms of gastritis.

Excedrin is half aspirin, so when I took that I was halving my daily dose of tylenol.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re the doctor .. We don't have to do everything they say. Just sayin' .. if you can't, you can't.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Indeed. Why keep going to a doctor who gives bad advice & puts your very life at risk?

Some information here was in the NYT article above but there are also some things I'd not read before, questions to explore about aspirin and the eyes & pancreatic cancer.

The research citations are listed in the article.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Aspirin---Useless-For-Heart-Health-and-Stroke-Prevention-and-Causes-Major-Complications&id=2527830

Aspirin - Useless For Heart Health and Stroke Prevention and Causes Major Complications

- By Michael Teplitsky - June 25, 2009

Excerpts:

. . . Early studies with aspirin showed absolutely no benefits when it came to preventing heart attacks.

Then one study which used Bufferin (aspirin and MAGNESIUM) showed that while the number of fatal heart attacks was not reduced, there were 40% fewer non-fatal heart attacks in people taking Bufferin.

This is the reason why doctors recommend aspirin for prevention of heart attacks.

It is almost certain that MAGNESIUM was responsible for Bufferin's benefits, not aspirin.

Magnesium is well known for its positive effect on heart and blood vessels. But it was completely ignored and aspirin came out a winner.

A review published in Lancet on May 30, 2009 analyzed the results of previous studies that used aspirin to prevent heart attacks and strokes. They looked at 6 studies that evaluated 95,000 people for an average of 7 years.

People taking aspirin did not have any benefits.

They had just as many heart attacks, strokes, and vascular deaths as people who did not take aspirin. But they had significantly more bleeding complications, especially gastrointestinal.
. . .

. . . This is true whether they take regular or baby aspirin.

And don't think that "buffered" aspirin is any better when it comes to gastro-intestinal bleeding.

A study in Lancet found that the risk of bleeding was 2.6 times higher in people taking 325 mg or less of regular aspirin compared to people not taking any aspirin.

The risk in people taking "buffered" aspirin was 3.1 higher. In people who took more than 325 mg of regular aspirin a day the risk was 5.8 times higher, while in those taking buffered aspirin it was 7.0 time higher.

In other words, people taking buffered aspirin actually had higher risk!

. . . people who used aspirin for 10 or more years had over 40% higher risk of developing cataract . . .

. . . Aspirin use has been linked to macular degeneration, . . .

. . . A study of over 88,000 female nurses found that those who took 2 aspirins daily for 20 years had a 58% increase in pancreatic cancer vs. those not taking aspirin.

Pancreatic cancer is now #5 cause of cancer deaths and the number of cases have gone up a lot in recent years. Is aspirin to blame? . . .

. . . Aspirin can trigger asthma attacks in people who are sensitive to it. Studies show that regular use of aspirin can damage your kidneys and your liver.
-

[ 01-24-2015, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Thank god ginko doesnt give me reflux

Im just not sure what the rational is to have everyone with high lipids take aspirin

If i knew that it would be easier to make decision not to take it

Thanks

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Aspirin lowers clotting so helps prevent heart attack

Its ok to take ibuprofen 30 min after aspirin if you take aspirin once a day

You shoyld not take aspirin less than 8 hrs after you took ibu

This is from.web md

Also you should not take aspirin if you have an ulcer

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I have had excellent docs in my life, but i find as time goes by it is harder and harder to find them

I need a doc to write a few necessary prescriptions so i cant go without one

This particular doc was very lyme friendly 2 1/2 years ago when ifound him

After our local hospital was taken over by mass gen and the affordable care act started he changed drastically in what he believes as bout lyme

I have been looking for another doc but they all seem to be the same

And right now i am dealing with acute gastritis and not taking ibu or aspirin while i get worked up to see what is really goung on

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I sure would not believe web.md on this, not at all. According to the Lancet studies & some other excellent sources, web.md is wrong on this matter.

I hope you can go back up and read some of the articles about the misconceptions with aspirin and the heart - not at all what we've been told -- or as advertised.

There are also many other ways to help improve our blood vessel & heart health. So many other ways.

Related matter: No magic time period on this. Ibuprofen causes constriction of the blood vessels. Not a good idea for anyone who desires proper circulation.

Back to risks of even baby aspirin:

http://suzycohen.com/articles/even-baby-aspirin-has-risks/

Even Baby Aspirin Has Risks

By Suzy Cohen, Registered Pharmacist - Feb. 28, 2012

Excerpts:

For every heart attack that aspirin therapy prevents, the London study says, it causes two “bleeding events.”

This study is not the first to show potential dangers with long-term use of aspirin. We’ve known for decades that aspirin can harm the delicate lining of the digestive tract.

And if you read my Drug Mugger book, you’d know aspirin is a drug mugger of vitamin C which you need to keep your arteries elastic, and potassium which is needed for healthy blood pressure.

. . . What exactly do the researchers mean by “bleeding events”? By definition, these events could include hemorrhagic stroke, bleeding from ulcers, and bleeding from the lower gastrointestinal tract.

These are pretty serious conditions; impending signs of a “bleeding event” may include abdominal pain or heartburn. . . .

-------------------------

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/08/04/daily-aspirin-side-effects.aspx

FDA Reverses Its Position on Daily Aspirin

Dr. Mercola - August 04, 2014

Excerpts:

On its website, the FDA now says:

"FDA has concluded that the data do not support the use of aspirin as a preventive medication by people who have not had a heart attack, stroke or cardiovascular problems, a use that is called 'primary prevention.'

In such people, the benefit has not been established but risks — such as dangerous bleeding into the brain or stomach — are still present."

. . . Studies Show Aspirin Is a Dismal Failure at Preventing Heart Attacks

The following table lists, chronologically, a sampling of studies showing that taking aspirin may do more harm than good. . . .

CHART at LINK above - and full article with much more detail.
-

[ 01-25-2015, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Ibuprofen constricts blood flow. This can pose problems.

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/analgesicnephropathy/

National Kidney & Urulogic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC)

Analgesic Nephropathy (Painkillers and the Kidneys)

Excerpts:

. . . Analgesic use has been associated with two different forms of kidney damage: acute renal failure and a type of chronic kidney disease called analgesic nephropathy. . . .

. . . Some patient case reports have attributed incidents of sudden-onset acute kidney failure to the use of over-the-counter painkillers, including aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen sodium. . . .

. . . A second form of kidney damage, called analgesic nephropathy, can result from taking painkillers every day for several years. . . . .

. . . Ibuprofen may also increase the risk of chronic kidney damage, . . .

----------------------------------------------

Excerpt: "But at the same time, the drug constricts blood flow."

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/16/us/kidney-peril-found-in-the-pain-reliever-ibuprofen.html

Kidney Peril Found in the Pain Reliever Ibuprofen

(AP) April 16, 1990 – The New York Times

Excerpts:

The popular pain reliever ibuprofen can cause kidney failure in people with mild kidney disease, according to a new study.

A three-year study on the drug was reported today in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine. . . .

. . . gave participants above-normal doses of 800 milligrams of ibuprofen three times a day - the equivalent of 12 ibuprofen tablets - for up to 11 days.

After eight days, three women developed kidney failure, which reversed when ibuprofen was discontinued. The remaining nine women, who received ibuprofen for 11 days, showed changes in kidney function but did not develop kidney failure.

After recovering, the three women were given 400 milligrams of ibuprofen three times a day, equivalent to normal doses of the drug.

Two of the three again developed kidney failure but recovered when the ibuprofen was stopped.

Ibuprofen relieves pain by interfering with the body's production of prostaglandin, a substance involved in inflammation. But at the same time, the drug constricts blood flow.

Normally, the change poses little risk if used for a short period.

But for those whose blood flow to the kidneys is already reduced by kidney, heart or liver damage, flu, or aging, ibuprofen could lead to acute kidney failure. . . .

- Full article at link above.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Re: aspirin triggering REYE syndrome in children, and in also in some adults, be sure to consider that. REYE can be fatal. Good to know what we need to know ahead of time for those we love.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reye_syndrome

Reye syndrome

Excerpt:

. . . Aspirin

There is an association between taking aspirin for viral illnesses and the development of Reye syndrome.[10] . . . .

. . . The serious symptoms of Reye syndrome appear to result from damage to cellular mitochondria,[12] at least in the liver, and there are a number of ways that aspirin could cause or exacerbate mitochondrial damage. . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Another consideration is that aspirin / acetylsalicylic acid is ototoxic and can lead to tinnitus - that may not be reversible - and other hearing issues / hearing loss.

Consult the work of Neil G. Bauman in his 3rd edition of "Ototoxic Drugs" and his websites.
-

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey sugar plum,

Are you using a coated baby aspirin, like Bayer? Here is one (300 tablets) for $17. (Cheaper at Walmart and on Amazon.)

http://tiny.cc/ygqt7x

Green tea thins blood- use the decaf kind.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Even if the aspirin is coated, there can still be other things to consider. It's still going to be ototoxic, for example . . . etc.

To reduce inflammation, to help our arteries, etc., there are many other choices.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Coated aspirin mentioned here - and it's NOT helpful:

http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/01/a-hidden-danger-of-an-aspirin-a-day/?_r=0

A Hidden Danger of ‘an Aspirin a Day’

The New York Times - February 1, 2010

An Underappreciated Risk of an Aspirin a Day

-By Neena Abraham, M.D.

If your physician has suggested you take aspirin to reduce your risk of heart disease, it is important to remember that even small doses of daily aspirin — including “baby aspirin,” at a dose of 81 milligrams daily — can increase your risk of ulcers and bleeding.

It is important to remember that all Nsaids, including over the counter aspirin, have the potential to damage the tissue of the gastrointestinal tract.

Damage can occur anywhere, from mouth to anus.

Over-the-counter doses of aspirin, or buffered

** or enteric coated aspirin preparations,**

do NOT eliminate the risk of developing an Nsaid-related ulcer.

Your risk for bleeding is still two- to four-fold greater than if you were not taking the aspirin product at all.

. . . [full article at link above.]
-

[ 07-14-2016, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement