LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Iodine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Iodine
purplehaze
Member # 40385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for purplehaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is the best way to consume iodine to treat a deficiency?
caps, tabs, tincture or other?

any help greatly appreciated

Posts: 69 | From Ireland | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Find out your numbers first with a good test. This is important.

Get Thyroid tests, too. There are certain ways to do that so read up on that aspect.

You should also get a good intracellular calcium test before supplementing iodine, too.

It's important to not just go and start taking an iodine supplement until you have your levels tested.

If you have a naturopathic physician (or was might be equal to that in Ireland) they would be the kind of doctor who would know much more about all this.

However, for those with lyme, seaweeds can be too neuro excitatory due to their natural MSG / glutamate. So that's not advised as a good source of iodine for those with lyme.

The links to products here may not be the same you can get in Ireland.

Consider all dietary sources as you figure your daily intake, too. If you all of the sudden start eating seaweeds, any iodine supplement might need to be decreased.

If you take ANY supplements, be sure to read the labels to see if there is any iodine / iodide added. If so, that needs to be figured into your daily intake.

Even if the supplement might not list iodine / iodide, search each ingredient so as to be sure what kinds of things in there might naturally contain iodine / iodide. You'd need to know to figure that in, too.

A topic I'm studying these days. From my file notes:

http://tahomaclinic.com/2011/01/iodide/

Iodide – One Mineral Can Help A Myriad Of Conditions

Jan 8, 2011 | Dr. Jonathan V. Wright's Articles

SSKI / potassium iodide

Excerpt 7/8 of the way down:

IODINE, IODIDE, WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE?

Iodine is a basic element, as are calcium, zinc, oxygen and other elements.

The word “iodine” usually refers to two iodine molecules chemically “stuck together” (I2), just as the word “oxygen” usually refers to two oxygen molecules “stuck together” (O2).

Since iodine is more reactive, and therefore more likely to cause problems, iodine is usually used as “iodide”, a word which refers to one iodine molecule combined with another molecule such as potassium (KI) or sodium (NaI).

In chemical terms, such molecules are called “salts”; the best known salt is sodium chloride (NaCl), a “salt” of chlorine (Cl2).

The “SS” in “SSKI” refers to “Saturated Solution Potassium Iodide”.

Other medically useful forms of iodine include “Lugol’s solution”, invented by Dr. Lugol of Paris in the 1840s, which contains a mixture of types of iodine and iodide, and “di-atomic iodine”, which is another name for iodine, but usually prepared as a solid in a capsule instead of a liquid.

https://www.tahomadispensary.com/Articles/Bernards.html

Bernard's Solution

Be sure to read full article, and note: USE SATURATED SOLUTION OF POTASSIUM IODIDE SAFELY!!

There are three “hazards” to using Saturated Solution of Potassium Iodide: staining, allergy, and a very small possibility of thyroid suppression with longer-term use of “too much”.
-

[ 04-27-2016, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Iodoral tablets work very well for me at the physiological replacement dose of 12.5 mg per day - my ND cautions not to go over that dose and the articles below explain why.

http://www.clinicaleducation.org/seminars/david-brownstein-md-thyroid-health-and-iodine/

Dr David Brownstein MD: Thyroid Health and Iodine Therapy

http://www.optimox.com/iodine-research

Iodine Research

http://www.drbrownstein.com/Iodine-Why-You-Need-It-p/iodine.htm

Book: "Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It”

- by David Brownstein, MD

Find articles / books by both by Guy E. Abraham, MD and David Brownstein, MD

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/127312#000000

Dec. 2013 IODINE discussion thread
-

[ 04-27-2016, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Are you still taking the OxyEarth you wrote about in your thread below? If so, I would NOT take any iodine supplement. I hope you are not still taking this, though, for several reasons.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/130530?#000000

OxyEarth - November, 2014
-

bluelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like tabs over drops...better that dessicated thyriod..using standard process

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I struggled with iodine until I learned how to muscle test (it's easy, youtube). The thyroid doesn't want the same amount every day, even though modern medicine doses people out with the same dose every day.

Some days I only need 3mg (pill form), other days I need 6mg. Once in a while I need 12mg. It's different every day.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
purplehaze
Member # 40385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for purplehaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you Keebler, Catgirl, and bluelyme

Keebler, actually I didn't actually take any of that OxyEarth at all

you mentioned doing a test, what is the simplest Iodine deficiency test that one can do themselves?

Posts: 69 | From Ireland | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
testing / how to determine if you need this and how much? I can't say. The articles cover that, start with the one by Jonathan Wright.

But I'd sure first read all you can from Brownstein's articles and books. Then be sure to consider what's naturally (or in supplements you take) in your diet currently.

There are so many excellent links from TX Lyme Mom so be sure to scour those, too.

[ 08-16-2016, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lugols on arm...see how quik it absorbed...google lugols test... i agree with catgrrl on dosing tho

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
purplehaze
Member # 40385

I applied iodine about the size of a jam jar on inside of forearm last night [about 11pm] got up from bed about 3am and it had completely vanished

I interpret this as me being low on iodine levels so I guess it time to act on this

TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link to the most complete iodine protocol on the internet that I know of. It's based on the work of Dr. Guy Abraham, upon whom Dr. David Brownstein based his writings about it.

The person who composed this protocol is a former patient and student of Dr. David Brownstein. She used to moderate the Iodine Yahoo forum which is now closed. She now consults with patients privately long-distance, which naturopaths are allowed to do legally:

http://steppingstonesliving.com/resources/downloads/

Dr. Guy Abraham's research showed, and Iodine-Literate doctors have confirmed, that iodine will chelate out heavy metals -- Hg, Pb, As and a couple of others which I can't think of -- which can be measured in the urine.

There is one major precaution about starting the Iodine Protocol and that is to start selenium first, at least a couple of weeks ahead of time, in order to prevent the possibility of a flare up of Grave's disease (hyperthyroidism), in case a person might be undiagnosed with that condition.

The best form of Se is this one because it is the most absorbable and the most bio-available:
http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Se-Methyl-L-Selenocysteine-200-mcg-100-Veggie-Caps/47817

Se is a "Goldilocks" nutrient -- not too little, not too much, but just the right amount. Too much Se is toxic. Never take more than 400 mcg/day -- never more than 2 capsules per day.

Iodine-literate docs have discovered that iodine is best taken 5 days per week, with 2 days off. Otherwise, the receptor sites stop accepting iodine.

Oh, I remember the other important precaution now. You might experience symptoms of bromide detox for the first week to 10 days after starting iodine. There's a simple remedy for this which is explained in the Iodine Protocol Guidelines.

Here's another link to a similar resource about iodine supplementation:
http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iodineindex.html

Here's a link to Iodine-Literate health practitioners:
http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/ipractitioners.html

One more thing: The Iodine Protocol Guidelines explain why that skin test for iodine sufficiency doesn't work very well. It's OK for screening, but not reliable enough to depend on it completely.

That's all I can think of right now. I hope I didn't forget anything important because I'll be off-line for the rest of this weekend - big family celebration.

Oh, yea. One more thing: If you spill iodine, then vitamin C will oxidize it and remove the stain. Whatever you do, do NOT take it with vit C though for the same reason because ascorbic acid inactivates it (partially) and makes it (somewhat) less useful to the body.

PS -- I'm editing to add that Dr. Jonathan Wright doesn't know doodly-squat about iodine. He's very smart about most things, but the real iodine gurus are Drs. Guy Abraham (now deceased) and Dr. David Brownstein.

PPS -- The book by Lynne Farrow, "The Iodine Crisis" is authoritative, but fun to read because of her simple and clear writing style. (She's a college prof. who really knows how to explain complicated ideas clearly and simply.
http://www.amazon.com/Iodine-Crisis-What-About-Wreck/dp/098603200X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1461974564&sr=1-1&keywords=Lynne+Farrow+iodine

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
purplehaze,

I don't know how to interpret that but wanted to caution that iodine can be a bit stimulating. I've done best with it in the mornings.

Too much - or too late in the day - and you could be buzzing around like a moth in a flame.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
TX Lyme Mom,

Thanks for those excerpts. I really enjoy reading the works of Brownstein and Abraham. Fascinating. With the new month approaching, I'm hope to finally buy Brownstein's book that has been on my wish list a long time.

The other one you suggest looks good, too (Lynne Farrow, "The Iodine Crisis).

You can find more of B & A's writings at the Townsend Letter website, too.
-

purplehaze
Member # 40385

Hi Keebler and all,

I just got an iodine loading test done
a person is deemed iodine sufficient when your body excretes 90% or more of the original 50mg load

I have a reading of 68% thus considered iodine deficient

in your opinion what would you consider the best way forward for me now?

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
oooh, those kinds of questions make me nervous. I'm more of an "overview" "all things to consider" kind of person.

For specifics, it's really best to be guided by a doctor with this kind of knowledge. At the very least, be sure you get your hands on

everything about this written by both Abraham and Brownstein.

See all the links I posted & links others have posted, too. Hope you can get the books. Your library system might have them - or a university library.

Iodoral tablets work very well for me at the physiological replacement dose of 12.5 mg per day - one per day. Don't know of your sources in Ireland.

But if this is in a multivitamin or some other supplement formula you might be taking, don't duplicate.

Whatever you do, you would start slow and not go over the physiological replacement dose, no matter how low that test may seem.

It would take time to get where you need to be and - just stay within a safe dose range. To go over a certain range could cause immune system problems and thyroid dysfunction.

And other tests should be done, looking at your thyroid functions, etc.

While the test you took is one snapshot in time, don't make all your decisions around that. This might fluctuate and one test may not be able to "consider" all the nuances.

Again, Do not go over the physiological replacement dose of 12.5 mg a day unless your doctor determines something different after a good assessment.

That dose also needs to consider dietary sources.

Best to first consult a naturopathic doctor (or what someone with that kind of education and focus might be called in Ireland).

Good luck.
-

[ 07-08-2016, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

purplehaze
Member # 40385

Keebler,

thank you so much, greatly appreciated

my question was a very difficult one to answer
sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot

some thyroid tests done over last 6 weeks
free T3 and free T4 are within range

yes there are naturopaths here

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Oh, you didn't put me on the spot. You need to ask the questions & you need answers. I just have such a hard time writing a clear sentence the last few days that maybe my words seemed more like it when I side-stepped that question.

I hope you find the detail you need. In the meantime, see if Iodoral tablets are available to you. I like that and it can be cut in half quite easily. I hope you can get the books, too.

If you include any seaweeds in your diet, that should be considered as it's high in iodine. It's a typical suggestion to get more iodine in one's diet. However,

Separate issue: seaweed is also very high in its own MSG and may be very over stimulating to many with lyme.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Check all supplements and assess diet (and anything that comes into our bodies for:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/113775?#000000

Topic: Amino Acid Information Link

See post: Caution: Aspartate; Glutamine / Glutamate; and Phenylalanine (3 excitatory amino acids that can be wrong for us when added as supplements, beyond a normal dietary level)

Seaweed has its own natural MSG and can be very excitatory, even toxic to nerve fibers for those with neuro-lyme.
-

MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a couple years ago, I remember my ND-minded-MD telling me that somewhere around 9mg/day could turn off thyroid function, so he said to not go that high. He said historically that had been the treatment for hyperthyroid.

Currently my pendulum has me on 1/2 of those 12.5mg tablets per day.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Michael, a very helpful comment, glad you shared that.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
From another thread, Tincup posted:

Easy to understand, very informative. Covers many of the symptoms we have and provides simple, cheap and easy to do solutions.

In my opinion, everyone should read it.

http://joannebrophy.com/programs/iodinetherapy.htm
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/minerals/iodine

IODINE - Linus Pauling Institute
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Regarding the physiologic supplement dose range, MichaelTampa shares his thoughts in another thread:

" . . . Note that there is some mis-info above, as 12.5 mg is way way above the USRDA, 8333% of it, as it happens. I believe the USRDA is 150 mcg, which is 0.15 mg. (USRDA is not magic or anything, but just to be accurate about what it is.)

Some do take it with the intention of increasing concentration of iodine in tissue, most commonly breast tissue, and decrease odds of cancer.

Others take it for thyroid.

Do note that taking too much iodine can also turn off thyroid hormone production. From what I have heard, it is possible that 12.5mg could be enough to do that for some people."

-- end MichaelTampa's post from:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=101103;p=0

Topic: Iodoral-anyone use it
-

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am no expert, but from what I've read taking something like Lugol's can affect the thyroid in a negative way. I've been incorporating seaweed into my diet for iodine in order to get it from a food source.

I have dulse flakes, which are salty tasting, and I use it on my food. It has a high iodine content from a food source.

I also use the nori that you wrap sushi in either to make a "fruit" sushi" or just plain as a snack.

I also eat wild caught fish (cod is especially high) and navy beans.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Good point that seaweed can be a nice way to incorporate iodine in a more complex food approach.

Seaweeds can have some nice characteristics. To be sure that overstimulation does not occur, however, it's good to know about its glutamate / glutamine influences -- and how to keep that in balance.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/113775?#000000

Topic: Amino Acid Information Link

See post: Caution: Aspartate; Glutamine; and Phenylalanine (3 excitatory amino acids that can be wrong for us when added as supplements, beyond a normal dietary level)

Seaweed has its own natural MSG and can be very stimulation to some nerve cells. Start low and slow - and see how it goes.

For anyone with a seizure disorder, it may be best used only with other foods and only in small amounts - or avoided, depending upon individual reaction.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement