LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hydration Supplements

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hydration Supplements
kms1990
Member # 41700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kms1990     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All,

I have had lots of issues with hydration and staying hydrated throughout my herx reactions. It has caused me what I think many unnecessary ER trips and high heart rates. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on rehydration supplements that can be added to water.

I am currently getting IV saline 2 times per week to help with this, but want to add to my protocol instead of just drinking a gallon of water a day.

Thanks!

Posts: 70 | From New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Emer-Gen-C has a good packet of minerals / electrolytes that is free of all the junk in most of the other hydration products on the market.

A gallon of water a day sounds like a lot if you do that every single day. Too much water can actually cause dehydration. While I've needed a gallon a day at times, most days, 3 quarts seems to be my magic number.

Have you had your electrolytes / minerals checked to see if something is out of balance?

Getting good fresh vegetables and low glycemic fruits like dark berries? I think your nutrients are best accessed from foods.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.emergenc.com/products#specialty-formulas.electromix-35

HYDROMIX packets - by Emergen-C

I have reservations about this for 3 reasons, though.

1. is not certified gluten free

2. maltodextrin could be from any source, maybe potato, maybe corn. And likely GMO if it does not say it's not.

3. "Natural Flavors" can be MSG in disguise and too excitatory / even toxic to our tender nerve cells.

But it's still far better than most of what's out there. I just think food is far better source of nutrition, always.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
While real foods are still my preference and far more economical, I think I just found one far better for a packaged option.

http://www.ultimareplenisher.com/grape-90-serving-canister/faqs/

ULTIMA REPLENISHER - Balanced Electrolyte Powder

FAQ - Excerpts:

. . .

Q: Does Ultima contain soy, gluten, MSG, stimulants, sugar or any artificial ingredients?

No, no, no, no, no and NEVER.

. . .

Q: Does Ultima Replenisher have any artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners?

No, no and no! It is very important to us that we use no artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners. We also do not use any stimulants (like caffeine) and our products are all gluten-free, vegan, and use only 100% non-GMO ingredients.

. . .

Q: What is non-GMO maltodextrin?

The 'good’ maltodextrin found in Ultima Replenisher is different from the maltodextrin found in many foods, soda and sports drinks. Ours comes from non-GMO rice grown in Wisconsin.

It is a complex carbohydrate with chained molecules. Users benefit from low osmolarity, complete solubility and easy digestion.

A small amount of carbohydrate enhances rapid digestion in the stomach and is critical for the small intestine’s absorption of nutrients like calcium, chromium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, selenium, zinc and phosphorus.

Too many carbs slow the process, but no carbs prevents this vital process from happening at all. The amount of carbs in Ultima creates the correct balance.

. . . .
-

kms1990
Member # 41700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kms1990     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler,

The ULTIMA REPLENISHER looks great. I will give that at try.

I drink a gallon because it really helps and: "Today, the IOM liberally recommends an even higher volume of total daily water intake: 3.7 liters (15 cups) for the average adult male and 2.7 liters (11 cups) for the average adult female." !!

Most people don't realize how much our body needs a day I think. America is chronically dehydrated!

Posts: 70 | From New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used Ultima. Now I'm using Vega because I like the taste better. I get dehydrated easily and it helps.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking MegaHydrate and it has made a tremendous difference in my life. I couldn't tolerate an entire capsule and had to split the powder from one capsule into two capsules.

But I take one in the morning and one at night. Before, I was drinking a ton of water but it didn't really quench my thirst.

Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paleogal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paleogal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending if for you it's sodium or potassium related, coconut water might also be a good choice. Cocohydro makes a powder version that seems reasonably priced:

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Coconut-Original-9-7-Ounce-Package/dp/B0043OGJK4/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1461976031&sr=8-1&keywords=cocohydro

this helped me (and too many bananas to count) when I had crazy heart palpitations that we figured out were caused by low potassium.

Posts: 243 | From Southern Arizona | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement