LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » PIRIFORMIS Syndrome Pain in Butt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PIRIFORMIS Syndrome Pain in Butt
daystar1952
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone here been diagnosed with piriformis syndrome? This is where you can have pain in the rear.

The piriformis muscle spasms or forms a knot and can pinch the sciatic nerve. I am experiencing a relapse and it is difficult to go from a sitting to a standing position and to walk well.

Rolling over in bed is also an issue. I am trying trigger point therapy and stretches but that can take a while.

I am wondering if people think or have had experience with muscles seizing up in certain areas for seemingly no reason...like in the back or butt.

Do you find it goes away like other symptoms and comes in cycles depending on where the bugs are partying?

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have it but I always think of Magnesium for muscle cramps. Have you tried Magnesium?
Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes....but somehow I don't think I am getting enough. 250 mg a day...think it should be more?
Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did have it and it was made much worse by trying to use a rebounder.

I had treatment from a physio, and the best thing I found for it was to stand with my back against a clear room wall and put a tennis ball between me and the wall at waist height immediately to one side, rolling the ball laterally towards the hip five or six times, then placing the ball just below the first starting position and rolling it across to the side again.....and so on down to mid-buttock.

Repeat the procedure on the other side of the back. This gives a firm pressure massage that really helped me-

Hope it helps you too.

[ 07-29-2016, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: ukcarry ]

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ART, active release technique can usually help this. Usually done by a chiropractor. Sometimes the piriformis can become attached to the sciatic nerve and the ART breaks the adhesion so the nerve doesn't flare as easily.

My BF had this done and it took care of the problem in 2 sessions, this was several years ago.

Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ergonomics - check the seat in your car (if a bucket style seat, this could cause the problem),

and other chairs you use as for the pressure distribution.

How you get in and out of a car matters, too. You might consider FELDENKRAIS or ALEXANDER methods of somatic therapy.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Thanks so much everyone...very helpful. I was starting to take artemisinin and maybe that stirred things up. I read her somewhere that babesia may cause piriformis issues. Also I wonder if leaning slightly forward when sitting at the computor can stress the piriformis?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh goodness... I need more than 1000 mg of mag a day just to keep me moving.

Yes, I had piriformis. It kicked my butt!! [Big Grin]

I finally got rid of it by going to a sports medicine doctor who ordered the correct therapy. NO LONGER an issue now and I am grateful.

One thing that really helps is working out on an ergometer bike. It's amazing at keeping muscles in the lower back, hips, etc all toned up.

Hope you find the key for you .. look on You Tube.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daystar1952:
Also I wonder if leaning slightly forward when sitting at the computor can stress the piriformis?

-

I don't know, but part of my problem was created when I had to sit a LOT due to painful feet.

Keep moving!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"difficult to go from a sitting to a standing position and to walk well.

Rolling over in bed is also an issue."

I took a week long course taught by a chiropractor who was also a homeopath and the small amount of information you have typed above fits the homeopathic remedy

Lycopodium (made from Club Moss). It can be found in the health food store for about 7$. I would start with a 6c, the lowest potency, just because it is the most gentle.

Good luck!

Homeopathic Magnesium phos 30c is good for any muscle cramp.

But I really would start with Lycopodium as it fits so closely what you describe.

Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Computer chair. A high backed rolling desk chair with foot rest so you can put your feet up a foot or so and tilt back at various degrees - frequently through time sitting.

A lumbar support and a neck pillow also help. Chair arms also help but if you have a good wrist support and the right height / angle for your keyboard / keypad, you might not need the arms.

And if your head and neck are strong with good energy, you might not need the high back / neck support pillow.

This is the only way I could possible even be at a computer for even more than five minutes -- with every couple minutes changing (even if just slightly) of the pressure points with the tilting back and forth that such a chair provides.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister (does not have Lyme) had excruciating pain in her lower back and leg, to the point where she couldn't sit. She had Prolotherapy treatment done by Dr. Hauser and it definitely helped her.

Here is the doctor's YouTube video and explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNATQaWdMm8

Here are some links on Lymenet a few years ago about Piriformis Syndrome and Prolotherapy:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123705;p=0#000010

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good chiropractor can check out your bone alignment and may be able to relieve the pain.

If the muscles are just tight, then I suggest taking some magnesium.

Also, I put myself in a pool for 9 months and stretched out all my tight muscles in weekly sessions. Initially I took pain med, and then in a month's time, as I was starting to feel better, I could do the stretching without pain med.

stretched out all my tight muscles successfully in 9 months time!

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daystar1952:
Also I wonder if leaning slightly forward when sitting at the computor can stress the piriformis?

Yes. I'm a Pilates instructor, so from that perspective ....

Sitting shortens the hip flexors, which affects the psoas muscle. The psoas goes from the top of your thigh bone to the first 7 vertebrae of your spine. It's the "tenderloin" in an animal (the filet mignon from a cow). It's supposted to be supple, not tight. Sitting shortens this muscle, which pulls on the lower back when you stand up. That's why standing up from a chair can pull on your lower back.

The periformis is in your butt. It's the one muscle that goes over your sciatic nerve. If it's tight, you can have periformis syndrome. The figure 4 stretch can help.

Once I rode in a rental van straight through from Ohio to Florida. My periformis spasmed during the trip from sitting in that uncomfortable seat. I got sciatica really bad for three months. Never again will I sit that long! The figure 4 stretch and a heating pad helped, but I had to wait out the spasm.

If you're sitting a lot, it's likely not the only muscle that's tight, it's just the only one hitting the sciatic nerve.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re,Magnesium, I take 250mg in the morning and 250mg at night and about an hour before bed, I take one Magnesium Optimizer which has 100 mg of Magnesium. Also, I was having terrible muscle cramps in my legs (Charley horses) and found that it was being caused by calcium displacement. I was taking Calcium Carbonate

which is poorly absorbed by the body and when I switched to Calcium Citrate, the Charley Horses stopped. But all of this might not apply to your situation.

Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

If you take ANY calcium at all, then you need more magnesium.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

daystar1952
Member # 3255

Well guys...thanks so so much for all the great advice. I'm looking into all of it! If one is weak from other things, they tend to sit a lot. Would lying down be better I wonder? for example instead of reading while sitting maybe lying would be better. I also have a rotated hip which I guess enters into it. Why does life have to be so complicated?? : > )
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the rotated hip probably plays into it. I used to have a rotated hip due to Lyme. Pilates, massage, and chiropractic fixed the hip and frozen shoulder.

Having the hip in a more open position might be better. Also, get up and walk around at least every hour. And stay hydrated.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also did PT when I was weak after an accident. I think we can take small steps to strengthen and move even when we are weak and we will get gradually stronger.

I also had to stretch out my tight muscles.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yes, definitely get up frequently. I agree that lying down would be better, but even then, keep getting up as often as you can.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement