LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pulling out a tick

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pulling out a tick
doshey
Member # 46853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doshey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm asking on behalf of my nephew. About 2 months ago He found a tick attached to himself. He pulled it out himself. He went on one month of doxycycline.

He now has a very small round thing with a small black dot in it. This is where the tick was found on him.

I think it's part of the tick left in him. Can that be? Is it an issue? Any advice would be appreciated.

Posts: 71 | From NYC | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scary!! Can you take him to urgent care?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This happened to me years ago. If you are not patient and just pull the tick off, the mouthparts will remain in your body. You will see a lttle black thing inside of you when this happens.

If you gently pull on the tick for a few minutes until it decides to withdraw its mouthparts, then you don't end up in that situation.

Now, knowing better, I use a tick remover to keep the pressure on the tick until it removes its mouthparts. This way, the whole tick, alive, is removed and nothing is left in you.

But, years ago before I knew what I was doing, I had my hubby pull a tick off of me. Then, I had to go in search of a doctor who would take out the mouthparts.

It turned out it was not easy to find a doc to do it. It is a minor surgery. Not all types of doctors will do it. For example, my primary care doc would not do it.

I went a few days looking for a doc who would do it. Then I happened to have my regular exam with my gyn so I asked him if he knew which kind of doctor would do it. He did it for me.

It took time. First, they put an anesthetic cream on the spot. Then, you wait about 20 minutes for it to work. Then the doctor inserted a tool something like long tweezers to try to get out the mouthparts.

He tried and tried and became very upset that they would not come out. I explained that they are barbed like a fishing hook. So, they will not pull out like a splinter. In fact, I had tried digging it out right after it happened and I had the same experience as the doc.

So, finally, the doc used a tool that scooped out the flesh there. Like an ice cream scoop. He took out all the flesh including the mouthparts. Then, he cauterized the area. When he was finished, it looked like someone had burned me with a cigarette.

So, it is no small thing to get this taken out. I know one guy who left his in his leg and said that from time to time over the years the spot acts up, but then it settles down again. Other than that, he just has the small bump or a spot where it is.

I don't know if it really is an issue to leave in the mouthparts, but I didn't want them in me.

I sent my tick away to be tested and it tested negative. So, that may also be a consideration.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doshey
Member # 46853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doshey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!!! Would a dermatologist remove it??
Posts: 71 | From NYC | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that can be a head piece- a part of the tick. Since he got the doxy that's good!

I can't advise him what to do, but if he were my nephew I would have him soak the body part (where it is located) in some warm epsom salt bath water to soften the skin around it. May be easier to be in a bathtub when soaking.

Treat it like you would for glass or splinters in your foot, etc. The salts would help draw it out.

If it is somewhere on his head, of course, no soaking his head in a bucket of water. OK?

While the skin is soft, I would see if the tick piece can be removed with tweezers if it hasn't come out yet. Yes, or no...

I would then use a warm water clear rinse, dry it, pour some hydrogen peroxide on it, pat it dry with a clean towel and put some antibiotic ointment on it (Neosporin, or similar antibiotic cream).

It may eventually work its way out by itself, but if he wants it out of there now that is one option.

Here are easy to follow instructions on how to properly remove a tick (for the next time). There is also a link near the top of the page with a one minute video on how to remove the tick.

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/ticks

Good luck!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I was writing when you last posted.

Yes, a dermatologist could do that. Personally, if it were me, I would try the other option first, saving me lots of money and inconvenience, and if that didn't work I'd repeat the procedure the next day.

If it still didn't work- and I am a bit stubborn and don't mind digging for it- if it was on me, I would leave it and wait till it worked its way out. (I don't like doctors much these days.)

But, that is your decision to make. (Or his.)

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doshey, my dermatology office just told me that Blue Cross/Blue Shield has a new rule this year: if the dermatologist does any procedure that breaks the skin, then it is a charge of $150 for the patient. This is even if the deductible has been met for the year.

Each time the skin doc breaks the skin, $150 charge for the patient. That $150 will include the copay for the doctor visit.

So, it is evidently a new "surgery" payment procedure for dermatologists if the patient has Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

So, if your nephew wants to go to a dermatologist, he may want to call the office first and talk to the billing department to find out what it will cost him to have the mouthparts removed. He may be shocked by the cost. So, better to find out in advance and factor that in.

He has had the mouthparts in him for 2 months now.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I'm sorry to hear this. I don't have a link but recall reading - and our state lyme network founder has told me this, too.

In one of the Eastern European countries, it is required procedure for any patient with mouth parts embedded to have them removed as, they consider, these parts (if infected) can just about "forever" keep transmitting infection -- whatever infections the tick may have been carrying.

[My use of quotes and my paraphrasing.]

Under sterile conditions:

Yes, a sharp little surgical scalpel and proper antimicrobial substance required topically -- and keeping the incision site clean later, frequent bandage changes) - and maybe a numbing agent for the office procedure. Depends on how deep or how much skin might have grown over it.

If there is any question as to if the darkening is / are tick parts, a doctor's office will have a high powered lighted magnifying glass or eye wear to properly see before making any moves.

It could be a scab but don't take any chances. If you have a good magnifying glass, that might help but after a couple days, the mouth parts could also turn rather mushy and deformed so I'd not count on being able to figure it out.

As for anyone at a doctor's office who might say "oh, he took a month of doxy" it would be covered, well, not necessarily as the Rx may not actually get to where the bite site is. And doxy does not cover all the bases as to possible infections on mouth parts.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Even if he sees a doctor for this "mark" - he should see a LLMD as soon as possible. I hope that is possible. Or assertively address lyme / other potential TBD in some other way.

Tell him to take photos in natural light from various angles for his safe keeping.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Keebler,

You may have missed it, but he already took 30 days of doxy for the tick bite.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Yes, aware that he took a month's worth of doxycycline. And then, a month later, this round skin issue with darkened center (that dark center may or may not be tick mouth parts).

But it sounds like it could be an EM rash around that - or infected and it requires attention from a LLMD at this point for further determination - beyond the action of ASAP examining to see if tick parts.

As we all know 30 days' doxy is very often not enough and monotherapy can cause lyme to become even more established systemically after the Rx is stopped. It also does nothing for many of the possible coinfections that should be assessed.

It seems a LLMD would be a good move for consult.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You did not mention fever or other symptoms, yet, just good to know about this in any case or for possible future need.

Regardless of if lyme / tick . . . or in addition to / instead of are always things to consider.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sepsis-deadly-infection-is-a-race-against-time/

SEPSIS: Deadly infection is a "race against time"

By Ashley Welch - CBS News - August 23, 2016

Five years ago, Dana Mirman noticed a small bump on her shoulder that she thought was an insect bite. Within 24 hours, her shoulder became extremely swollen, she was experiencing flu-like symptoms, and had a fever of 104 degrees.

Her husband brought her to the emergency room, where Mirman was quickly identified as a patient in septic shock.

The bump on her shoulder turned out to be an infection, which had become cellulitis (a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissue) and then sepsis when the infection got into her bloodstream.

Having been perfectly healthy up until this point, she was shocked to learn her diagnosis. . . .

[Full article at link above]
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Staph or MRSA might also be considered with any skin eruption.

http://www.thebrothersmedia.net/health/2013/12/symptoms-of-mrsa-on-the-skin.html

Symptoms of MRSA on the Skin

Excerpts:

. . . A Sore or Boil

. . . first signs of an MRSA infection of the skin may be a hard, painful pimple, sore or boil . . . .

. . . A Skin Eruption or Abscess

MRSA infected skin eruptions are sometimes confused with spider bites. MRSA infections may also begin as rashes that itch and are scratched with the fingers, which deposit the bacteria from the skin into the wound. . . .
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement