LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » kOSHER LAWS AND PROPER KITCHEN TECHINQUES

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: kOSHER LAWS AND PROPER KITCHEN TECHINQUES
stymielymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The jewish custom of keeping kosher
is a custom brought down for many
generations from the time of
the bible.
it is a growing custom among
non jewish people,CATHOLICS and muslems.
what is a custom now was a
necessity to survive in the desert.
what are these laws you may ask,
i'll tell you!!!

1) kosher meat, poultry must be killed
swiftly, with a knife, and upside down to drain all blood. this is to remove any bacteria in the bodies blood.

2) kosher meats are salted, this is to preserve the meats and keep them from spoiling without refrigeration.

3) only fish with scales can be eaten.catfish and carp are not kosher, they feed on remains on the ocean bottom.
All crustaceans, shrimp, lobster,crabs, oysters,
that feed on bottom remains are not kosher.
this prevents disease like ecoli and others from
spreading from floor of ocean to you.

4) only split holved animals are allowed to be eaten.
animals that eat scrap from the ground, ie. pig,
horses, and others are not kosher.this is to prevent mainly trichomonas.

5) can't eat milk and meat together.
this is to prevent spoiled milk product bacteria
from infecting the meat being eaten.
Many others, but these laws were
written 4000 years ago in the desert, without refrigeration, presevatives and proper
cooking temperature.
they were found by trial and error and the error lost.

most of these laws don't really apply today, until madcow came along.
kosher meat cows are only suppose to eat grass or grain, no other foods, ie animal parts.
that's why they now have grain fed chickens.

fish was also salted as a preservative, but Fresh Fish is allowed.

Any meat fish or poultry you eat these days even if grown yourself is filled with harmful bacteria.
salmonella, ecoli, treponemia,tricomonas, mad cow and multiple many more.

PROPER KITCHEN COOKING AND CLEANING

Proper preparation and cleaning of food with gloves on is necessary.
Wash all meats,fish and poultry prior to
cooking. remove bag inside poultry prior to washing.
proper cooking to the right temperature to kill the bacteria in question.
and proper cleanup after cleaning with bleach and paper towels is crutial.
don't use same sponge for counter as dishes.
don't use sponge to clean after cleaning food use disposable towels for the counter top.
let bleach,clorox or generic is fine) sit on the counter or prep area for at least 10 minutes prior to wiping, making sure it stays wet for 10 minutes.
get a spray bottle of bleach for under your sink.

keep bleach away from clothes, wear apron or you will have white spots on clothes.

didn't know i knew anything huh, [lol]
DOCDAVE dept of food hygiene [confused]

ps DID YOU KNOW THAT THE INSPECTORS OF FOOD IN THE ARMED FORCES ARE THE VETERINARIANS.
YES SINCE THERE ARE FEW HORSES LEFT, THEIR MAIN JOB NOW IS FOOD INSPECTION. JUST A LITTLE TIDBIT.

[ 04. January 2007, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: stymielymie ]

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNJanet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNJanet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting info Doc!

How about coming over and cooking me a kosher meal? I'll clean up after you mess up my kitchen. You might want to bring a face mask, eye

protection and latex free gloves. There is a grocery store not far from my house so you can do the shopping. This store advertises that their

meat is never mixed with chemicals or preservatives but that could be after they are slain for consumption. I have been hoping that

the meat I eat has been fed ABX so that at least I am getting SOME SOMEHOW! Now please tell me that chocolate is kosher. I wouldn't mix it with

anything. Just pure dark chocolate for me. Free range! [Wink]

Janet

--------------------
DISCLAIMER:
No information presented above should be considered medical advice or take the place of advice given by a medical professional. Links to other sites are provided merely for ease of research.

Posts: 287 | From Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
only free range chocalate is kosher.

forgot a very strange one cheese is not kosher
because it contains rennet, which is a by product from the cows stomach, enzymes.
its very confusing but rennet is considered meat product, while milk is not .

docdave [dizzy]

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I didn't know cheese was not kosher. Obviously I don't keep kosher. I never thought about rennet.

I was thinking cheese blintzes are kosher dairy. I'm guessing that type of soft cheese like cottage cheese is not made the same way.

I always though the parve cheese in the stores was so you didn't have to worry the milk/meat issue. (Like if you thought about having chicken parm instead of eggplant.) [Wink]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can purchase kosher cheese. Kosher cheese is also vegetarian.

My LLMD told me to stay away from any seafood/fish that is not Kosher. To make sure I don't get food poisoning. I have chronic salmonella, and she said I'll flare whenever I get food poisoning.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doc, you do Brises, too? I hope not on your '165 Trinity on the Atlantic. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

yes there is kosher cheese.
i do not keep kosher either.
cheese with rennet is only not kosher for orthodox and chassidc jews.
conversative don't consider it a problem.

yes i do brises sunday afternoons bring along a
42 inch flatscreen and men all watch the football game and women all yap.
last week, i got so excited when the eagles won,
we'll lets put it this way, this little boy
will still be a little boy when he grows
up.
i hope he doesn't become a lawyer.

docdave [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No offense Doc, as I have often come to your defense, but what the hell does this have to do with Medical info and Lyme Disease?

If at all, this should be in OFF TOPIC.

Next we will have some Muslim talking about Halal Meat...enough, this is NOT areligion board, but a LYME DISEASE board, and posting this on the MEDICAL QUESTIONS is absolutely rediculous and presumptious.

Note: I am NOT against religion, etc., but I AM against using this venue to posture about religious traditions.

I am sure there are enough Jewish Boards that one could give this info to. I want MEDICAL info on LYME DISEASE on LYMENET...and nothing more.

PLEASE...EVERYONE...READ THE TITLE OF THIS SECTION!!!! IF you have this unstoppable urge to give us unsolicited info on other topics, PLEASE use OFF TOPIC...simple request to keep this board in good standing as a source of info on...WHAT???

LYME DISEASE!!!!!!

DO NOT USE MEDICAL QUESTIONS to chew the fat...!!!!

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME!!!!

JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a medical topic.

It is not possible to know how many of us become ill from improper clean-up techniques after handling meat, fish, or poultry. But I would say that the number is high.

I watched a relative rinse poultry in her sink, then take a sponge and clean the sink, and later use it to clean counters after only washing it with dishsoap. Dishsoap will not kill bacteria like salmonella.

According to some of my research, many cleaners, even ones that claim to be 'heavy duty' do not actually kill bacteria, etc. Bleach does 'get' the bugs. Also, grain alcohol is another good option. Paper towels are essential.

There are problems with cross contamination, also. We need to be careful with our utensils when we cook meet. Can't use the same utensil that we have used to turn meat over when it is still underdone or raw. We have to change utensils along the way.

I am not as familiar with Kosher foods, but I do know that it evolved as a result of the desire to keep foods safe.

Since we are all fighting bacteria, etc, we need to be careful that we don't add more to the mix.

Claire

[ 04. January 2007, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: clairenotes ]

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

JRW:
I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU ONE HUNDRED PERCENT THAT THIS IS NOT AN IMPORTANT MEDICAL SUBJECT.

THE POINT WAS NOT ABOUT KOSHER FOODS,
BUT HOW EVOLUTION OF HYGIENE AND PROCESSING OF FOODS HAS PREVENTED, GETTING AND SPREADING DISEASE.

THIS POST WAS MEANT TO TEACH TO UNKNOWING, THAT FOOD PREPARATION HYGIENE,, IS AS IMPORTANT AS
CHECKING FOR TICKS ON YOU AFTER YOU GO OUT.

IT IS PROBABLY MORE IMPORTANT, SINCE MANY OF THESE DISEASE HAVE COME TO LIGHT IN
RECENT YEARS DUE TO IMPROPER HANDLING OF OUR FOOD SOURCE.

JUST REMEMBER ECOLI IN AN IMMUNODEFICIENT
LYMIE WILL KILL THEM ALMOST IMMEDIATELY.
THIS MAY NOT BE IMPORTANT TO YOU ,BUT MANY HERE\
MAY NOT KNOW THAT A HAMBUGER NEEDS TO BE COOKED HOT AND LONG ENOUGH TO KILL ECOLI.

AND HOW ABOUT SALMONELLA IN CHICKENS, DO YOU THINK YOU COULD SURVIVE TWO DAYS WITH SALMONELLA AND LYME???

THIS POST WAS GIVING HISTORICAL INSIGHT INTO THE HISTORY OF FOOD HEALTH, CREATED BY THE BIBLE.
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION, SINCE MANY RELIGIONS ARE NOW ACCEPTING THE KOSHER
DIET TO PREVENT DISEASE.
IT COMES FROM THE SAME BIBLE THAT EVERYBODY USES
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN JEWISH AND CHRISTIAN IS THE NEW TESTAMNET OF JESUS.
THE FIRST BIBLE IS EVERYBODIES BIBLE NOT JUST THE JEWISH PEOPLE.

SORRY NO MORE RELIGION.

DOCDAVE

Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doc, you been guzzling that Manischewitz or Mogen David again? [puke] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've survived about many, many years with salmonella and Lyme.

Salmonella can cause a reactive arthritis similar to Reiter's Syndrome. A few of us on this board have been diagnosed with salmonella induced reactive arthritis along with Lyme.

Be very careful when it comes to food poisoning. Our bodies are sensitive. The Lyme has already broken the camel's back, and any thing else in the load will cause more harm.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

lymelighter
when you coming over for friday meal????

also should throw sponges away at least once on month.
or better yet, use disposable clorox or
lysol wipes to clean counters.

this will prevent cross contamination.
cross contamination from one spot ie chicken to
faucet handle is very easy to do, but very hard to prevent.

docdave [Eek!]

Jenifer
Administrator
Member # 697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While this may be a "medical" topic, the description of the "Medical" forum on LymeNet is: "Medical questions and information related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases."

This topic is being moved to "Off Topic".

--------------------
Jenifer Stolow
LymeNet.Org Webmaster

Posts: 318 | From Upstate New York, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doc Dave and others interested,
Back in the early 70's I was newly married with a child and wife in college to support. My job was working in a beef packing plant.

One week they decided the company could make good money doing a 'kosher' kill. Had the blessed Rabbi there with the blessed sword and did what they do. One swipe of that blessed sword was ALL that was allowed,,,if more 'not' kosher, if not perfect, not kosher,,if anything imperfect, not kosher.Half of the animal,,not kosher!!

The cruelty of the kosher kill,,,I wont even get into here because it is WAAAAAY to disturbing. The memories from that week still haunt me. I have "ZERO" use for any kosher kill to this day,,,I am NOT offending or attacking YOUR religion,,,just what I saw, speaking here.

THEY(company) NEVER did "THAT" again!!! I would 'think' they could refine their beliefs to conform to the 'here and now' of the realities of life!! Kosher beef kill is cruel,,,period,,if ya dont think so,,,go watch!! (And it takes "ALOT" to turn 'my' stomach!!!!)

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil M Martin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil M Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stimie:

You said "only split holved animals are allowed to be eaten." Four-footed animals had to BOTH split the hoof AND chew the cud.

Rabbits chew their cud...certain pellets out of their backsides get re-chewed. Thus they're unclean. Pigs split the hoof but do not chew the cud.

Camels have two toes but are not cloven hoofed.
There is a membrane between their toes, which helps them walk on sand.

Do animals chew the fat too?

Dietarily speaking I'm not kosher but the old Jewish dietary regs help me battle health challenges. Neil

--------------------
Neil

Posts: 697 | From Tucson, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

http://www.kosherquest.org/bookhtml/Illustrations_of_Kosher_Animals.htm

the rabbi that does kosher slaughter is suppose to be an expert and only require one blow with a very very sharp knive. it is suppose to be painless to the animal.

i guess your rabbi must have been a butcher!!!!

docdave [lol]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement