LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » The new 'ladies' vaccine for cancer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The new 'ladies' vaccine for cancer
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No this isnt about "ME"

I have daughters and I have grand daughters and I dont know too much about this,,,but I wish them NOT to have a preventable cancer or other diseases.

They keep saying they should be vaccinated before they become sexually active. Good plan!! I agree, for best results. "IS" there some benifit IF they are active?? IF they havent gotten the said virus YET. Or do you test them reliably to see if they do,then vaccinate?? Or just get the shot and hope???Anyway even IF active???

Or once active,,,always too late?? I can not see why that would be the case, dunno, I guess I dont fully understand. Anybody care to help me here???

I would strongly lobby for the shot,,,dont think it will make them any different(willing to HAVE sex) than otherwise,,,like all the contoversay. I personally think it SHOULD be mandated like some states have done,,,otherwise too many people will NOT do it and wait till too late!!! The 'poor' people will suffer,,,again!!!

Ask somebody that lost a loved one to cancer,,,they would have given anything to have that person back,and risked more!!!

Not looking to stir controversay here,,,just looking for a proper education,,,educate me please,remaining --just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not buy the idea that such a shot will cause girls to become promiscuous. People who advance this argument against the shot seem to be pretty primitive when it comes to sex. They say the same thing about sex education, condoms, anything at all that pertains to sex. The problem is that even with this vaccine, there are still a lot of STDs to be worried about. Like AIDS for instance and syphilis.

My problem is with mandating it. I think the govt should only mandate treatment of diseases in certain circumstances, namely that it will prevent epidemics in more easily contagious diseases. Also, it is my understanding that several shots are needed and it costs hundreds of dollars. That is going to hit the poor people pretty hard, not to mention the uninsured.

The other thing is that we don't know what kind of adverse events will occur when the vaccine is used in millions of people, not just in thousands in clinical trials. Look at the lyme vaccine. The trials were not very good scientifically, then adverse events showed up when it went to a larger group.

This is why it is a good idea to avoid being first in line for new things. May still be a lot of bugs to be worried about, things to fix before it is as good as it should be.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou,

That was my exact thoughts also.

Guess where a number of us would be today without that magic sugar cube from years ago,,,when polio vaccine was first out.

Then again my next thought was the lyme vaccine,,,they thought was good,,,and was worse than nothing!!! How do we KNOW which is which???

I guess I can wait for my granddaughter as she isnt quite that old.. BUT my primary concern would be daughters, who have started their lives,,,just wondering IF its too late for them to gain protection from the cancer,,,or it 'might' help them if NOT already exposed to the virus??? just a dad trying to figure out what helps my kids!!!being--just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that is a good question to ask the experts. Will it do any good after a woman is sexually active? Lots of people will want to know the answer to this one! Saw a guy interviewed on TV last night who suggested it wouldn't be much use for these women.

And another good question you asked: how do we tell when a new thing has problems and when it doesn't?

The first polio vaccine administered failed. It had only one strain covered, when the one that finally worked had three strains (if I am remembering right). And as you probably know, there is still an argument about whether live or killed viruses are better for vaccines. Thus the squabble between Sabin and Salk.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Here is the scoop on other women and this vaccine:

"Why are just females ages 9 to 26 approved for vaccinations? What about men, babies and older women?

Merck and Co.'s first wave of research trials for Gardasil involved women ages 9 to 26. So, when the FDA approved the vaccine, it stuck with this target demographic. The good news is that Merck is currently working to expand Gardasil's audience. The company is now testing the drug's efficacy, safety and immune response in women ages 26 to 45 and in males ages 9 to 26. All of these trials are in the latter stages of research, according to Wambold. When, and if, the science proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Gardasil is safe for these populations, new FDA approvals will follow.

Vaccinating newborns is an entirely different story. Here, the most important question is n't, ``Is the vaccine safe and effective?'' but ``How long will Gardasil's immunity last?''

Because the HPV vaccine is relatively new, scientists are still uncertain if Gardasil's immunity will last a lifetime or if booster shots will be required. Because of this uncertainty, there's a chance that vaccinating a newborn could result in a loss of HPV immunity by the time the child reaches an age of sexual activity. This scenario is possible, but unlikely, according to preclinical trials (Merck is currently testing the drug's staying power). As a result, scientists at the CDC have recommended that parents wait until their daughters reach age 11 or 12 before being immunized. "

MORE HERE:

http://health.msn.com/womenshealth/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100154748

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thinking is that as long as women get pap smears, they're pretty safe. However, fewer and fewer people are able to afford such checkups!

I have serious doubts about the safety and effectiveness of ANY vaccine. I really object to the mandate too.

Don't know what to tell you, don....but I'm not impressed by this whole thing. Smells of money and greed to me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you TuTu, smells of something or other.

Yes, you should have a vaccine if you are sexually active, with more than one partner. Most women aren't--little girls definitely aren't!

[ 07. March 2007, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: meg ]

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I got my little girl the chicken pox vaccine when it first came out. Now I find out that its only good for ten years or so, leaving her vulnerable as an adult when it's more problematic. Is there a dark underbelly of this new life-saving vaccine?

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw the commercial again

"GARDISIL the only vaccine for the 4 types of human pappilloma virus that MAY guard against cervical cancer"

--------------------

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vaccines suck.

there should be a national campaign to stop this violation of rights. what's more invasive than having cooties and toxins injected into your bloodstream? you should have a free choice.

mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a grandmother of six granddaughters, ages 2 to 12 - my vote is NO! An emphatic NO! And I am a cancer survivor.

They are wanting to mandate that 12-year old girls be given this vaccine. This cancer is caused by a virus. Most 12-year-olds are not sexually active and are barely developing!

What will this vaccine do to their development? How will it affect their ability to conceive later on down the road?

Luckily, the State of Indiana is not mandating that young girls have to have this vaccine. It is still being debated whether or not to mandate that parents be given the information.

And I think that is great! A parent should be able to decide if their child be given this vaccine.

Why did they not come up with a vaccine to prevent or cure the virus? A girl does not have to be promiscuous to get this virus. It only takes one time with a partner who has the virus.

So why not find a vaccine that prevents the spread of the virus?

A vaccine to prevent contagious, communicable diseases, such as measles, mumps, polio, etc., that prevents wide-spread outbreaks is one thing. My mom had polio. I did not. I did have measles. I did not have mumps.

And there are many children who have had awful consequences to having had children's vaccines.

I just have a hard time believing that enough research has been done on 12-year-olds! My daughter and son and daughter-in-law also feel this way.

I think the better thing to do is to spend money on teaching abstinence and ensuring that all women can afford to have pap smears.

I just have a hard time with drug companies putting out drugs and vaccines only to have to recall them later. They have already made enough money that lawsuits do not put them out of business, although lives have been destroyed or taken.

This virus is not something that can be spread quickly throughout the community by a cough or a sneeze or a fever.

--------------------
here's hoping today is better than yesterday and tomorrow is even better!

Posts: 239 | From Evansville, IN | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Forgive me if I'm indelicate here, but isn't this the same virus you get if you are exceedingly promiscuous??
Uhhh,NO!! I wrote about how my daughter got it from her boyfriend in this thread.
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=051820

She clearly knows when she got it and from whom. It just takes once with someone who has it for it to be passed on. Doesn't mean for sure you will get it but you certainly can get it and fairly quickly.

According to my ob/gyn, the new recommendations are that testing be done as a matter of routine for HPV. I recently had the test and I don't have HPV. I don't really know how reliable the test is but I don't have any symptoms. I don't know if one can be asymptomatic with the infection. The symptoms are awful from what I hear, not to mention the possibility of cervical cancer.

I think first checking to see if one has it or not is wise before having a vaccine.

BTW - my understanding is that once you have it, it can re-activate at any time. There is no cure.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yashin
Member # 11159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yashin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already have the virus and possibly cancer of the uterus so maybe you need another point of view. It should be just like a vaccination for the other diseases, mandatory.
Posts: 33 | From newenglandusa | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Member # 22

Terry, I had never read that thread before, and did not know she contracted it. I'm sorry--my comment was not directed at you OR your daughter.

I do think that its safe to say that multiple partners will INCREASE a person's risk of contracting any sexual disease.

Merck stops campaign to mandate Gardasil

--------------------

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Meg, I didn't think you were directing that at me or my daughter. I agree that the more partners you have, the more likely you are to get a partner who has it but again I want to make the point that one does not need to be exceedingly promiscuous to contract HPV. It is prevalent and one need only make contact once with someone who has it in order to get it.

I didn't know this disease was so stigmatized. I think it's a mistake to stigmatize any disease, whether it's sexually transmitted or not. I suspect this is partly why some illnesses don't get the attention they should, people are too embarrassed to talk about them or advocate for them.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just a quick fact - over 80 percent of sexually active people have some form of HPV. most forms are asymptomatic, but you can still spread HPV even if you don't have symptoms. HPV is extremely sexually contagious (as the statistic suggests), and condoms and other safer sex barriers don't necessarily protect against its spread.

that said, most HPV doesn't cause cervical cancer - only 'high-risk' strains, most (or all? not sure) of which are asymptomatic; ie, don't cause genital warts.

i, too, am skeptical of vaccines. i definitely think the vaccine should be made available, parents and girls and women should be educated about it and a lot more research should go into it. but yikes, it definitely should NOT be mandatory.

yearly pap smears for sexually active girls and young women are a must, and in my opinion the most effective way to prevent cervical cancer (along with STD prevention and safer sex education, of course).

[ 17. March 2007, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: heiwalove ]

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once you get a positive pap it is to late, you may have hpv. The problem is that men do not have any symptoms from this disease and carry it without knowing it.
I know two women that have this disease and they both wish the vaccine was available when they were younger.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement