This is topic Need info on Dr. J in MD. in forum Medical Questions at LymeNet Flash.

To visit this topic, use this URL:

Posted by 17hens (Member # 23747) on :
If anyone here has personal experience with him and are willing to share with me, please pm me and I will reply with the questions i have.

[ 05-11-2010, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: 17hens ]
Posted by seibertneurolyme (Member # 6416) on :
You may or may not be aware that this doc has some ongoing issues with the medical board in Maryland. Regardless -- many docs charge for letters or notes to insurance companies etc -- vastly different price ranges.

Personally -- In this situation I would go for the appointment if that is what it took to get the required note for work -- but the note may not read as the patient would like if the diagnosis is somewhat unclear.

And then I would be looking for another doc who will diagnose and treat based on a clinical diagnosis. Due to the recent IDSA ruling I think it could be very difficult to get any insurance company to pay for even 28 days of IV antibiotics without a positive test result.

Unfortunately IGeneX testing is not positive for everyone -- but if the diagnosis is unclear or the patient wants more definitive testing then I would get this done. When making appointments with docs it is always good to find out in advance what labs they use -- the nurse or office staff should be able to provide this info.

I do know one other patient of this doc who had a big snafu trying to get IGeneX testing from this doc. Since it is not a lab he frequently uses that can create problems.

Feling worse after 4 weeks of orals would not be unusual. That shouldn't be the basis of switching docs at this point -- but other issues could be more significant.

This is hubby's LLMD -- just down the street. But he is not super aggressive and may not be willing to go the IV route for the patient either.

If the patient is totally sold on IV's then there is at least one doc in the D.C. area who is what I consider one of the blasting docs.

The patient needs to make a decision as to what they can reasonably afford and whether they can wait at least 3 - 6 months to see significant improvement with orals and then possibly switch to IV or just continue with orals. There are no guarantees with IV treatment of course.

I know from experience with hubby that it is much more difficult to make decisions and get treatment without definitive tests.

just thought of something else -- a positive SPECT scan or even the ER records if they diagnosed heart block could greatly help with getting insurance to pay for IV treatment -- but again it could be limited to 28 days.

Bea Seibert
Posted by 17hens (Member # 23747) on :
Thanks for the info, Bea.

I don't think she's sold on IV. Your explanation makes sense.

I know her husband was laid off last year and she has a really good job, although she's lost so much work due to sickness, she's inches away from being laid off too. Which of course means no income and no health insurance.

[ 05-11-2010, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: 17hens ]
Posted by lou (Member # 81) on :
I am wondering if this is too much information to be posted on a public website, where it is known that the opposition comes to collect stuff to use against us. My suggestion would be to ask for feedback from his patients, and then privately tell the details. It is obvious from your post who this is, and that is not a good thing. Everyone on this board needs to be careful about what they post. You are fairly new to lymenet and maybe don't realize this.

And it is confusing to me why she needs a doctor if she ran a triathlon. She was sick, now well enough to run the race, so why is she now seeing a lyme doc?
Posted by 17hens (Member # 23747) on :
sorry, lou, i'll change the wording of my question and ask for people to pm me.
please let me know if you think i should change it further.
she ran a triathalon last summer and has been sick from oct.'09 until present.
Posted by lou (Member # 81) on :
Good job, hens. Hope you get the feedback you need.
Posted by 17hens (Member # 23747) on :
Wow, so many responses and so much helpful insight!

You guys are awesome!!!!


Thank you all!!
Posted by kimp (Member # 19339) on :
sent private message.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3