This is topic mold-which stuff has to go? in forum General Support at LymeNet Flash.

To visit this topic, use this URL:

Posted by dogmom2 (Member # 23822) on :
moved over a year ago to get away from constant wood smoke and ended up in a house with a mold problem. And I do have the bad mold genes. Now all sensitivities have gotten worse, sound, electric, chemical, food, etc.

So looking for another place and trying to get rid of stuff. Can I keep stuff that stayed boxed up or donate it?

If I wash stuff does it have to be with a certain soap? Or wiping down furniture? I can't be around new furniture either, and used may have mold toxins too, so am thinking of trying to keep the furniture.
Posted by Neko (Member # 46592) on :
I wiped down my furniture with vinegar/borax spray. Anything with fabric or cushions, you need to decide if it's worth contaminated the room was where it was. I'm washing my clothes and getting new bed sheets. Not going to go nuts yet as the contamination was localized to an attic and bedroom mostly.
Posted by Catgirl (Member # 31149) on :
We use thieves oil for mold. Works great. You can wipe your furniture/stuff with it. Michael from Tampa is a good person to ask too. He treated extensively. If you search here you will find his info.

I think someone else used ozone machines. Do a search here, you'll find it. [Smile]
Posted by dogmom2 (Member # 23822) on :
thank you, I don't mind getting rid of stuff, but hate to waste it. Is it okay to donate stuff, only I got symptoms my bf did not, but don't want anyone else to get sick.

Like stuff in boxes, it seems like that would be protected from toxins.
Posted by sammy (Member # 13952) on :
I'm interested to hear what others have to share with you.

I believe that my bathroom may have some mold in it. My walk in shower leaks. I've had a contractor try to identify & fix it. I even put a shower curtain up but the leak seams to be coming from behind the shower wall. It makes my drywall soft and my paint squishy in a 10x 10in space.

With the heat of the shower, yellow liquid runs out of the AC vent.

The AC & heat smell strongly kinda like wet dog when I turn it on for the first time of the season. There is no more smell no that it has been running consistently though. It's electric heat.

I've had our furnace checked & it was perfectly clean.

I live in a condo. It is approx 13years old. Before I moved in, it was vacant for about 2 years. It was in poor condition.

So much is going on in my life though, I just haven't been able to address it.
Posted by sammy (Member # 13952) on :
Hey dogmom,

After my sister got married, they moved to Michigan City, IN to find work. (It is located literally right on Lake Michigan)

She wasn't even there a whole school season. She started getting super anxious, depressed, had crushing fatigue, then started getting flue like symptoms.

She eventually had to go on sick leave & her devoted husband planned to finish the last semester.

They were desperate to figure out what was making her sick & decided that it was the dark dreary wet environment.

So they started packing...

And they were horrified to find...

That the closet was full of black mold.

The kitchen cabinets were full of black mold.

So was the linen closet.

In the bathroom cabinets.

Behind the bed.

Behind the couch...

It was behind EVERY piece of furnature that they owned!!! In every closet & in every cabinet!!!

It was a nightmare!

The owner had apparently known about the mold problem. His way of "fixing" it was to simply paint it when it came back!

My sister is IgE anaphylactic allergic to mold!!! So no wonder she was getting so very sick!

So needless to say, my sister & her husband moved again. They didn't have the money to give anything away. So they cleaned what they could.

Thankfully, this time they moved closer to me!

Now I have a 4 year old niece, 2 year old nephew, and 2 month old twins a girl & boy! How great is that! I love them sooo much!
Posted by lpkayak (Member # 5230) on :
I have a lot of experience with mold. So much to know. There is a facebook group called mold Avoiders that has a lot of info and gives you a free ebook about what to do. However some think they overdo it. I couldn't do everything they said. Good luck. I use ozone. Reach out if I can help

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3