LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » why is biaxin helping my headache?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why is biaxin helping my headache?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i gave up and said wth and went back on biaxin.

i'm taking the florastor twice a day and tons of probiotics including critical care and theralac.

but here's what's so strange. i've been on it for three days, 500 twice a day, and my headache is actually improving.

today i had a couple of hours with no pain. it just feels like pressure now and bad ear ringing but the debilitating excruciating pain is gone along with the swelling around my ears and temples, and the nausea and dizziness seem to be getting better too.

so why in the world would the biaxin help when nothing else would? even vicodin wouldn't touch this headache and the dosage was only about 125.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
?? don't know

Tomorrow you'll be back in the hospital with gut pain. [shake]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joshzz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joshzz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had severe headaches as I was getting worse. Changed antibiotics and things got better for sometime. I believe it's just the bacteria causes inflammation, headaches etc., and abx can relieve it as they treat the illness
Posts: 107 | From new jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally believe Biaxin has strong anti-inflammatory properties which makes people feel better not due to killing Lyme, but because of this.

You have C-Diff and did this? Be careful!

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek,

Do you have any sources to back that up? That's the first I've heard of antibiotics having anti-inflammatory properties. I'm curious if there are others that have this effect?

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.chronicprostatitis.com/abx.html

Immunomodulatory & Anti-Inflammatory Properties

At the 2002 European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, a paper was presented showing antibiotics have anti-inflammatory properties in addition to their traditional antimicrobial effects.�

Excerpt:

. . . Clarithromycin [Biaxin] is thought to be effective in chronic sinusitis by reducing gene expression of proinflammatory cytokines and adhesion molecules from nasal mucosa at the transcriptional factor level, thereby exerting an anti-inflammatory effect on nasal mucosa. . . .

. . .

. . . See "Key Paper on Antibiotics as Immunomodulators" (in Miscellaneous section) at the International Prostatitis Research Foundation website. This 36-page paper puts to rest any doubt that antibiotics are indeed both anti-inflammatories and immunomodulators. . . .

"The use of antibacterial agents as anti-inflammatory drugs falls into four categories: . . . .

-------------

Antibiotics: More than just "bug" killers

Critical Care Medicine Volume 25, #8, 08/97
Dr. Larry C. Casey MD PhD

Selected quotes:

There are at least three different ways by which antibiotics may affect the immune system:

a) by causing the release of endotoxin;

b) through the regulation of cytokine synthesis; and

c) by inhibition of components of the immune response, including chemotaxis, lymphocyte transformation, delayed hypersensitivity, antibody production, phagocytosis, and oxidative metabolism of phagocytes. . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, i got scared. stopped it today.

i'm just too afraid. really i mean it time!!!

besides the doctor gave me zocor and i read i can't take it with abx and he wants my cholesterol down.

so no more biaxin for me.

and yes i'm having stomach pain, which i still say is the pancreas.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trigal2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trigal2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with seek' My LLMD also said Biaxin has anti-inflam. effects.

It is possible that that Biaxin is taking care of something other then or in addition to lyme.

Biaxin is a great abx. for sinus infections...WHen I first started taking it it knocked out a nasty sinus infection prior to hitting any lyme issues.

Posts: 376 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trigal2:
[QB] I agree with seek' My LLMD also said Biaxin has anti-inflam. effects.

See Keebler's post above.

Randi.. the pancreas never likes antibiotics.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biaxin has some of the strongest anti-inflammatory properties of any abx around.

If it helps the pain (not neccecarily in your particular case) than I'd continue using it.

Biaxin is a great abx for Lyme. It's a powerful protein synthesis inhibitor unlike most of the cell wall inhibiting penicillin drugs Rx'd to most Lyme patients.

The only issue currently facing Biaxin users is the overuse of the drug thereby making it less effective as more and more of the general population are exposed to it.

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad to hear that your headache pain is improving.
Reducing inflammation is probably why.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

unfortunately the doctor gave me zocor and said no more biaxin -- they contraindicated.

so it's a question of the biaxin or the zocor. and my cholesterol is through the roof.

so looks like i'm off biaxin and maybe it's a good thang. i've had c. diff and like tu says, better not run the risk i guess.

kind of like playing russian roulette.

--------------------

karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
biaxin is also a treatment for heliobacter pylori
and the heliobacter causes headache and a lot of bowel problems - you have both

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement