LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Liver / Spleen - Coartem ./ Daraprim - Update #1

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Liver / Spleen - Coartem ./ Daraprim - Update #1
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw my ID doc for a follow-up today to discuss some issues as he's a good diagnostic physician outside of my LLMD.

On a physical exam, he noticed my spleen and liver seem a bit enlarged. He's concerned about infection and doing a bunch of follow-up labs. My blood pressure also has been very high even 3-4 days off Coartem/Daraprim, but this stuff has a long half life.

Now I admit I'm a bit nervous these meds caused some damage. Hopefully it was worth paying to play this game.

Is this normal for these meds? On my CBC and MCP labs a week ago, all labs were perfect. This was BEFORE taking these new meds. My LLMD tests these 1 x month. I have just felt horrendous lately as I've posted on other threads.

Never a dull moment, huh?

[ 12-18-2010, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: seekhelp ]

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/\
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

/\
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek, did your ID doc include a CBC and metabolic panel when he checked your follow-up labs? If not, give him or your LLMD a call to get them repeated. I'm sure that they would be willing to order it for you if you told them your concerns.

Also did the doc think that 3 days of meds could have caused your enlarged spleen and liver or more likely caused by ongoing infection?

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bartonella specifically causes enlarged liver/spleen

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

I had no idea about that Derek. Thanks for the heads up.
seekhelp
Member # 15067

No, he did not order that Sammy. I was surprised. He's looking for infections as my fingernails have some splinters in them too which he says is a sign of an infection.

He thinks it could go either way - meds may have caused issues or ongoing infection. I think he knows in his heart Babesia and TBIs are an issue, but he doesn't have the guts to treat it hardcore. He's afraid of liability probably. He's a good diagnostician, but Rxing experimental drugs is risky as we all know.

An out-of-state LLMD 700 miles away is pretty useless when acute issues happen. One needs a back-up plan!

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Wow, this Coartem/Daraprim combo opened the flood gates of hell. I'm kind of regretting it. [Frown]

I still feel terrible. Very fatigued, my arms were so heavy last night and this afternoon it was scary. I keep getting chest pressure on and off that feels like regurgitation at times. I'll feel weak at times too. My whole body is just aching like crazy. Pains in my arms, legs, neck, hands, etc.

I'm wondering if my swollen liver is causing this. Maybe I should pump up the milk thistle? I took my Inflammacore powder earlier.

I have an echocardiogram scheduled Wednesday, which is probably good. Upper GI Monday. Fun week, huh?

Either my Lyme is flaring being off Abx for a time now due to my C-Diff suspected infection, I really made some bug mad, or none of the above. I have not had the very heavy arms for some time. I was hoping it would never come back.

Not sure what to do......

feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
symptom flare??? I have huge problems with the chest pressure on and off. Always mimics a heart attack.

heavy arms and aching too..whenever i start a new med, it's a given.

not saying it's not your liver though seekie. your labs are good? Milk thistle, dandelion tea, NAC...all good for liver...pump it up [Smile]

good luck on your tests.

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Yeah, that's the scary part Feelfit. It's a given one day I'll just die of a heart attack as I constantly brush it off or my wife thinks I 'cry wolf.' The symptoms are very scary.

It may be a flare or lyme out of control due to no meds. I'm guessing the first. I may just have awakened Babesia, but not hurt it much with the med protocol.

I don't have labs yet after the meds. I'll probably call my LLMD next week if it continues and mentioned the swollen organs to see if they want more labs. My ID doc ran a plethora of labs relating to viruses/infectious diseases (inc TBIs). We'll see how it plays out.

Sometimes I figure if this is it, so be it. [Frown] Sad way to be, but after 3 years it gets demoralizing.

djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek-

You seem to have an issue w/ Rx drugs in general which would speak to general toxicity as your body is having a hard time processing the drugs.

I was this way at apoint in time also. It took a lot of detox and diligence to change the chemistry in my body.

Tipping the balance from being in an overly toxic state due to metals, fungi, and bacteria to general well-being is a long term process.

I would look to more alternative treatments and herbs such as ACV, Pekana for detox, GSE, OLE, and the like.

Best

Derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek, watch out for Babesia particularly with the enlarged spleen. An RBC-protozoa like Babs can sometimes tax the spleen as it processes the "broken"/mis-shaped red blood cells. I'd ask the doc to run an RDW (red blood cell distribution width; it's a typical part of a CBC panel), ferritin, and definitely a complete metabolic panel.

I really hope everything gets better!

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement