LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Toxoplasmosis. Want to start daraprim?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Toxoplasmosis. Want to start daraprim?
karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I have toxo, especially in my eyes.
It is confirmed by ART and other methods but not by bloodtest.
Is there a specific lab to test for toxo?

I think toxo has to be treated by daraprim and a folate.
Is anyone on daraprim?

I am also positive for the Fry bug FL 1953 which is toxo+malaria.

For my eyes I started with silver and now tobramycin.Not yet better.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mepron will treat toxo. There are antibody tests
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a lot of issues with my eyes too. I'd get the toxo blood tests to confirm before just believing ART for everything. The drugs are pretty hardcore used to treat it and come with side effects. I just feel too many people put all their faith in this ART. I know many disagree with me.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have your doctor call this lab about testing your blood:
http://www.pamf.org/serology/ (They won't talk to patients).

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timaca,
thank you so much, you have so many great ideas.
My doc will order it, I think it is a send out.

Seekhelp,
I agree. I take all alternative tests as an idea and go from there. But I also do different alternative test and if they all come up with the same disease we need to dig deeper.

Maybe they cannot see the difference between toxo and the Fry bug FL1953.
The eye problem is serious, we need to solve it.
Toxo causes blindness. What are you doing?

Merrygirl,

interesting that mepron works. Have you tried it? My doctor gave me mepron but I didn't take it as I have no babesia.
Never heard that mepron treats toxo, thought only daraprim.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I have read toxoplasmosis is usually treated with Daraprim plus a sulfa med or clindamycin or zithromax or Mepron. It is usually a combination. Doctors prescribe a folate med with the combo to help prevent deficiencies.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a new study going on for Toxo---

wanting patients to give blood/free testing for everything else,etc.

You may be able to find it...Turns out the old tests were immunoassay and like Lyme were wrong. They have told thousands it was old infection---Not.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested PCR whole blood positive for toxoplasmosis, by VIPdx. Quest did a blood test, and it was negative. VIPdx then reran the test, and confirmed a positive result.

I went to the eye doctor to be ensure toxo hadn't affected my eyes, because like you, grainy/blurry eyes were one of my main symptoms. He confirmed that my eyes were not affected.

We treated toxo for six weeks prior to treating babesia with daraprim, zithromax and/or clindamycin (I'm allergic to sulfa meds) and folinic acid. If I were to do it again, I would just supplement with folic acid, as the folinic acid is very expensive, even with insurance, and it turned out way too strong and more than I needed, and had to cut way back.

I don't know if I have toxo, babesia, malaria, the fry bug, or some other protozoa/parasite. All I know is that I have significantly improved (70%) with all the meds that they cover; daraprim, clindamycin, zithromax, tindamax, mepron and lariam.

Hopefully you will see major improvements as well. My eyes are almost completely better now. What have you already treated with, and have you seen an opthamologist? I too believe in ART and electro-dermal testing to confirm what is good for my body. Try muscle testing daraprim (written on a piece of paper) and see how you respond (Don't think I'm crazy, it works).

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Wow, so much help.
I looked at the study but I think you need to be in one of the cities.

nspiker,
not thinking you are crazy, I am doing all of these myself. And if they all show the same results it might be right.I copy your post and will try
daraprim, clindamycin, mepron and lariam.(tinda helped me a lot and azithro is on my list, I herx a lot on azithro)
I know about the sulfa and the folate.

Good to know you improved so much.

Thank you all so much, really happy I posted for help.
Karen

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked on it for someone else.

They said if you are positive they will let you draw at any blood supply site...

Her tests were old so she needed retesting...

Haven't heard back...

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people have been expoosed and habevantibodies to toxo. they say it causes a benign illness if
that. it made me very sick. It could have been lyme evrn though i was.negative. you can get toxo from infected cat feces, gadening and undercooked meats etc..... it can cause cysts in your brain.not good for those immunocompromized people especially with hiv.

It id also bad for pregnant women, and unborn babies.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement