LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Off Topic.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What can we marinate with?

Author Topic: What can we marinate with?
momlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two roasts... one for Christmas Eve and One for Christmas. Usually I marinate with wine, vinegar, coke... and just about anything else I can find in the refrigerator...

Is there anything I can marinate with that is sugar free, gluten free and safe for this diet...

Or should I just stick with a dry rub?

Thanks in advance... off to bake more gluten free sugar free treats.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-
Remember the sea salt and pepper. These really are important and, sometimes, just enough.

Fresh Rosemary is fabulous. Nearly all grocers carry sprigs in the produce department.

Fresh Thyme is also rather magical.

A coating of Olive Oil mixed with herbs and spices will soak in - the same as a liquid marinade. The thick oil helps keep it moist, too.

Avocado oil is also very good.

When the fresh herbs, sea salt and pepper are rubbed in with the Olive Oil, it's the best marinade in the world. From time to time, you might turn the roast if marinading in the fridge.

Let warm to room temperature before putting into the oven and then put in oven as soon as the cold from the fridge has lifted.

Before putting in the oven, you might reapply the juices and herbs that have fallen to the bottom of the pan.

When serving, add a few more fresh herbs for garnish but also, this will freshen up the flavor.

Some dried herbs are usually not as good as fresh but they can be used to add a nice flavor, just far different from the fresh. You might crush a bit and mix with the olive oil.

Dried spices are fabulous, of course.

GARLIC - before you add olive oil to the meat, you might cut open a garlic clove and rub directly on the meat. Then add the olive oil and herb & spice rub.

The inside of a lemon or lime rind also works well for chicken.

A few well placed cuts in meat will allow for the insertion of garlic cloves and herb sprigs.

For a chicken, all good things can go both inside and outside. Onion wedges, scallions and celery are all great for a stuffing - but don't stuff it as it needs room to expand and allow heat to circulate. Keep it loose.

I got the bright idea to stuff a whole onion inside of a small turkey a couple years ago. The turkey never cooked. It had been a bit more frozen in the middle than I thought, anyway and then the whole onion had just insulated the cavity against heat. It took me hours to realize this. Christmas dinner was served without the turkey. It was finally done at at 11 pm that night.
-

[ 12-23-2010, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/find-eat-drink/spices-chefs-love-to-use_b_772205.html

SPICES CHEFS LOVE TO USE

Slideshow of some chefs� favorite spices, mixtures.

1. Chef Ana Sortun cooks Mediterranean-inspired food at her restaurant Oleana in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She loves the spice mixtures from La Boite a Epice.

http://www.findeatdrink.com/Index/Purveyors/Entries/2010/8/12_laboiteaepice.html

LA BO�TE � EPICE - CUSTOMIZED SPICE BLENDS

2. New York's La Fonda Del Sol chef Josh DeChellis likes Pimenton de la Vera (smoked paprika) to add to dishes to give it a Spanish flair.

3. Chef Joji Sumi of Mezze Bistro and Bar in Williamstown, Massachusetts in the Berkshires, melds Asian and French flavors with local, seasonal ingredients. His spice choice: Togarashi.
It's a blend of Asian peppers, citrus, sesame seeds.

4. Chef Jose Garces of Garces Group in Philadelphia and Chicago creates his own spices.

5. Chef Jehangir Mehta of Graffiti and Mehtaphor in New York uses turmeric, chili powder and onions when he cooks his Indian-inspired food.

6. Chef Michael Anthony of New York's Gramercy Tavern opts for simple. Basics like sea salt enhance flavors without hiding them.

7. Chef Joshua Whigham at The Bazaar by Jose Andres in Los Angeles uses cinnamon for his playful and sophisticated cuisine.

Cinnamon is an underused spice. When cooking with cinnamon, it adds an unbelievable depth of flavor to any foods you are cooking.

8. Michelin starred chef Gary Danko of Gary Danko in San Franciscos uses coriander for both sweet and savory preparation.

Coriander adds an intriguing fragrance and character. It plays an important flavor in savory duck confit, as well as other ethnic dishes and spice blends.

FRESH GARDEN HERBS like rosemary are available in the produce departments.

Amazon and cooking sites have contraptions called "herb keeper" but you can make your own.

Trim the stem and store lightly covered with breathing room (cut holes in a paper cup or fashion a paper towel dunce cap of sorts with an open tip or notches cut into a used yogurt cup) so that it does not mold.

Always keep fresh rosemary in your fridge door. It's amazing how much rosemary can enrich your life.

Keep in a glass jar in your fridge door with just a little water at the bottom. Once cut, BASIL does not keep well, though. Or, at least, I�ve not figured out how to do that. I�ve also failed at growing herbs indoors. Sigh.

==========================

www.saramoulton.com

Chef Sara Moulton's site

===========================

http://www.recipesforrepair.com/

Recipes for Repair: 
A Lyme Disease Cookbook

- a wonderful study-friendly website, too.
-

[ 12-23-2010, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Keebler! Awesome ideas! Merry Christmas!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i use sage in anything.....it's especially good on pork.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
moving to off topic

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement