LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How long before herx on Rifampin???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long before herx on Rifampin???
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 5 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. [Smile]

I've just started Rifampin for the treatment of bartonella. My LLMD also says it treats the cyst form of Lyme? But I'd like to know what you all have experienced as far as herxing on Rifampin...

I've been on Doxy before, but it stops bacteria from reproducing, while Rifampin actually kills them. So I'm wondering whether that will cause a different type of herx than what I've previously experienced...

Also, how long did it take before you began herxing on it? I want to know generally what to expect, if at all possible. When I was on Doxy the herx was immediate.

Today after my first dose of Rifampin my legs got very weak, and I was shaky, and dizzy. Nothing too ununusual. Now my feet are sweating, out of all the random things...! (I'm also concerned about any possible babs symptoms coming to surface after we get the bart levels down, but that's another thing entirely.) I'm mainly really nervous about the bart herxing that's to come since my symptoms are so exceptionally neurological. [shake]

(I also have a health blog if anyone would be interested or keeps up with that type of thing, but I'd ask that you PM me for the address because I don't like to post it everywhere!)

Thanks for any and everything,

little olive

--------------------
Myalgic encephalomyelitis, 2002 | Viral onset, following Hep B vaccine
Lyme since '06 | Bartonella since '08 (cured) | Mycoplasma pneumoniae since '08
IGeneX: IgM 31IND 34IND 41+ | IgG 39IND 58+ 41+++
IgG deficiencies and MTHFR 677TT mutations

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would hit me hard starting anywhere between day 2-4. Continued herxing daily for 30 days.

Head pressure/swelling/headaches daily for 2 weeks. My soles have been sore for many years but the rifampin made them more painful.

Everyone is different. You will see how your body handles it soon.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks map, that's helpful. Today is day two, so we'll see!

My legs are much much weaker than my arms, which usually only happens during my Lyme flares, so I'm not sure which bacteria is creating that response. I've heard people say babesia affects the top half while bartonella has an affinity for the bottom (leg pain, shin pain, feet)? I'm unsure of how true that is, though. Hmmm I'm rambling [Smile]

Did your psychiatric symptoms gets worse with any significance?

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up

--------------------

Sheryl777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost immediate herx for me. Day 5 and no letup for the worst headaches of my life.
Posts: 258 | From Spokane, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

So far I've been unable to walk, had two severe headaches, low fever, a general feeling of sickness, mood swings (though mild in comparison to some of the worse ones I've had), tremors, and dystonia. This is day four for me.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement