LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Abnormal Blood Work, kidney concerns?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abnormal Blood Work, kidney concerns?
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just got back my blood work and im slightly high on two things that point to kidney disfunction.

BUN/Creatinine Ratio 22 high 8-19 normal
potassium, serum 5.4 high 3.5-5.2 normal

i did some research and high levels of both point to kidney dysfunction. there arnet terribly high but still to have two like this is kind of concerning. other things can cause high levels of one of the other but to have them both seems bad to me. my dr is aware of the results obviously and hasnt contacted me.

i also tested slightly high for glucose,serum

any thoughts? am i just worrying for nothing?

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Begin by drinking more water. Any chance you aren't consuming that much?

Your doctor might eliminate some medications if you are on any.

That is all i know but maybe some others will have some thoughts.

Go get some water!!!

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dehydration is a possibility listed for those problems but i thought i drink enough water. maybe not. ill drink more.

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you muscular? Do you lift weights? If so, that will make your creatinine higher than the average and your BUN/creatinine ratio higher also.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

im mostly muscle but thats because i have 0 fat on me. i do not have big mussels. i have a somewhat physical job but dont lift weights.

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

TF just had a thought;

im taking medication for testosterone deficiency since i tested at 1/3 to 1/10 the normal levels. do you think this could be what is causing higher creatine levels?

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that could be it based on the following website:

http://www.drugs.com/ppa/testosterone.html

This is what it says under "Adverse Reactions"

Hepatic
Alterations in LFTs, cholestatic jaundice, hepatocellular neoplasms, peliosis hepatitis.

Lab Tests

Topical gel

Decreased HDL, elevated AST or ALT, elevated cholesterol, elevated HDL, elevated testosterone, elevated serum creatinine, elevated triglycerides, elevated total bilirubin, elevated cholesterol/LDL ratio, elevated glucose, hyperlipidemia, hypokalemia, and elevated hemoglobin or hematocrit (6% to 9%)."

Notice "elevated serum creatinine." That will automatically elevate your BUN/creatinine ratio.

THen, near the bottom of the page it says:

"Metabolic-Nutritional

Increased serum cholesterol, retention of calcium, chloride, potassium, sodium, and water, electrolyte changes (eg, calcium nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, sodium), increased weight (postmarketing)."

Notice "retention of ... potassium."

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

thanks TF!

so it doenst necessarily mean its causing kidney problems, is it bad to have potassium retention? is this just a side effect that i should tolerate of is it causing me more problems i should be concerned about?

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

TF
Member # 14183

For creatinine, they take your sex, age and weight and refer to a chart that tells them the average amount of muscle mass a man your age and weight generally has. Based on that amount of muscle mass, they determine (from a chart) a creatinine normal range for you.

If you have more muscle mass than the chart expects, then your creatinine will be higher than their normal range.

That is the case with my husband. They don't expect a man of his age to have much muscle mass. That is really a shame because it just tells us how out of shape the average man is.

Since you have muscle and no fat, your creatinine could be above the normal range just for that reason. Then, you start taking testosterone and that raises your creatinine a few more points.

Since my husband takes a medication that can cause kidney damage, the doctor who prescribes that med wanted his kidneys checked. (His internist didn't think it was necessary. But, you know how doctors don't want to be sued, so they order more tests.)

So, he had to see a kidney doctor and do a 24 hour urine collection test that measures ACTUAL creatinine levels rather than doing the chart thing I mentioned above. As soon as the kidney doc walked into the room, he said to my husband, "I see you are a muscular guy." (Neither of us would have thought so.) Then, he told us that his kidneys were perfectly fine and that the 24 hour urine collection test was the proof. My husband just has more muscle mass than they expect for a man his age.

So, in your case, if you are worried, you can ask for the 24 hour urine collection creatinine test. That is the only way to get accurate readings on creatinine.

Since you haven't heard from your doc, I guess he isn't worried about it.

You can call the office and ask if he has seen the blood test results. If he has, then that should put your mind at ease.

Perhaps the doc who is prescribing the testosterone can tell you the point at which he will become unhappy with the levels. Then, if you ever reach that point, he may want to lower the testosterone dose a little to make your levels go down a bit.

If your kidneys were fine before testosterone, it stands to reason that the testosterone has raised these blood levels, just as the website says it will, rather than to conclude that now, coincidentally, your kidneys are not fine. The only question is how often should you retest and at what point will the doctor want to adjust the testosterone if the levels continue to increase.

That's how I see it anyway. But, I am not a doctor.

Regarding potassium, the only concern I have ever heard of is low potassium. You are in big trouble if it goes low. So, I doubt a potassium reading slightly above average will bother any doctor.

Regarding glucose (blood sugar), you didn't tell your reading for that. I imagine your doctor will monitor this because if you get too high of a blood sugar reading, that indicates diabetes. Then, he will likely lower the testosterone and see if the sugar level goes down.

My husband recently started using the testosterone gel, so I am interested in seeing what it does to his blood level readings. We will get his results on March 16.

Just so everyone knows, my husband never had lyme disease.

JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

thanks for all the good input TF.

didnt that website say that it raises glucose levels as well? my glucose was 100 with 99 being the top end of normal so im not too concerned.

yeah finding out what is an unacceptable range and then waiting till i get there to get concerned is appropriate i feel.

my LLMD is the one who tested and prescribed my the cortisol (something like that) and testosterone cream. he says that those who fix hormonal problems tend to get better faster as it helps your whole body including the immune system.

please keep me up to date on your husbands progress.

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Wily, I don't want to side track your thread, but with all that info TF provided, I gotta ask a question:

What does that say about a 27 year old with a BUN of 8 and creatinine of .95? That seems awful low, and I'm 170lb, can bench close to 200lbs.

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nettle leaf for kidney support, may help to excrete uric acid and other wastes, read here:

http://christopherhobbs.com/database/?details&type=herbs&name=Nettle

Dandelion leaf (not the root, that's different and works more on the liver) is a diuretic which replaces potassium that is excreted in the urine, so it can help to balance the mineral, according to David HOffmann in his book Medical Herbalism.

Vitex or Chaste Berry: It's not wise to mix this with hormone drugs, but you could ask your doctor if s/he thinks under his/her supervision if you could use this. It not only balances female hormones, but male ones too because it works on the adrenal-pituitary axis, according to David Hoffmann in his book Medical Herbalism. Again don't try this on your own if you are already doing a hormone drug:

http://www.healthy.net/Materia_Medica/Chaste_Berry_Herbal_Materia_Medica/185

I think to detox and strengthen the liver is always wise in any hormone or blood chemistry balancing program. The liver breaks down many substances in the blood, including blood sugar, hormones as well as metals, chemicals et al:
http://www.healthy.net/Materia_Medica/Milk_Thistle_Herbal_Materia_Medica/247

About excess potassium: Causes fluid imbalance and therefore changes in blood pressure, affecting the heart. Is it something to just live with in excess? I would say no.

You can read more about potassium here www.healthy.net or look at Earl Mindell's The Vitamin Bible of the 21st Century, a handy home reference in an alphabetized quick-read format.

The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and do not diagnose, cure or prevent any disease. Drugs and herbs may interact, talk with your doctor.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

thanks for the info ci

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

TF
Member # 14183

Wolfed Out,

I never looked into low creatinine. But, I did a quick web search and found this:

"Low blood levels of creatinine are not common, but they are also not usually a cause for concern. They can be seen with conditions that result in decreased muscle mass."

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/creatinine/test.html

This same website also says the following:

"Other drugs, such as cephalosprins (cefoxitin), may increase creatinine concentration without reflecting kidney damage."

So, people taking Ceftin, for example, could also get elevated creatinine levels that are totally harmless. (This is for Willy.)

Here is another site for you, Wolfed Out:

"Having a low level of blood creatinine indicates nothing more than an efficient and effective pair of kidneys."

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/liverandkidney/203123.html

So, if your doc is not worried about it, neither would I.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement