LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Nerve pain, what is the mechanism?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nerve pain, what is the mechanism?
Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's say many of us lymies suffer from nerve pain... Ok what causes it really? nobody knows otherwise it would be treated...
People who suffer from diabetes also have neuropathy, what causes it? nobody really knows.. Treatment is a trial and error process... Now what if both diseases and cases of neuropathy had similar mechanism? What if it was due to metabollic acidosis? Diabetes is a glucose disorder, easily detectable through blood tests. What could be similar in Lyme that would cause similar results? Could it be babesia, thus less oxygen in blood? If diabetes is well controlled, neuropathy seems to receed, but why is it that no lyme or babs treatment seems to beat neuropathy in our case? ...

Posts: 723 | From Montreal | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had all kinds of nerve pain and I got rid of it with good lyme treatment.

Shingles causes terrible nerve pain. They know the cause. The shingles virus inflames the nerve it attacks. That's what post herpetic neuralgia is. Until the inflammation goes away, the pain won't go away.

Lyme also causes inflammation all throughout our bodies big time. We know it causes inflammation in our brains. I believe inflammation could be the mechanism that causes nerve pain in lyme disease also.

In fact, when I suffered 24/7 with dental or jaw nerve pain (felt like liquid fire flowing down my jaw) a dental surgeon diagnosed my problem as "inflammation." This was before I was diagnosed with lyme disease. That pain lasted for months until warm weather came.

It is difficult to get rid of nerve inflammation, or the inflammation of lyme disease generally. But, there are many things that can be done to reduce it. And, good treatment gets rid of the disease and the inflammation is then gone also.

Besides alpha lipoic acid, Burrascano lists many supplements that will help restore nerves. His list starts on page 29:

"FOR NEUROLOGIC SYMPTOMS- here, the goal is three-fold- supply the metabolic needs, replenish
what has become depleted, and protect the neurons and their supportive cells.

The �required� supplements, above, must be taken, and the items that follow below are considered �add-ons�.

ACETYL-L-CARNITINE- this is taken along with SAM-e. This combination can result in noticeable gains in short term memory, mood and cognition. The Acetyl Carnitine also is said to help heart and muscle function.

Doses: Acetyl-L-carnitine- 1500-2000 mg daily on empty stomach; SAM-e- 400 mg daily with the acetyl carnitine. Positive results may appear as early as 3 weeks; use for 2 to 3 months, but repeat or extend this course if needed. Available in most vitamin stores; Generic acetyl carnitine is okay, but I recommend �Nature Made� brand SAM-e (also available at most vitamin stores).

METHYLCOBALAMIN (Methyl B12)
Methylcobalamin is a prescription drug derived from vitamin B12. This can help to heal problems with the central and peripheral nervous system, improve depressed immune function, and help to restore more normal sleeping patterns. Many patients note improved energy as well. Because the oral form is not absorbed when swallowed or dissolved under the tongue, Methyl B12 must be taken by injection. Dose is generally 25 mg. (1 c.c.) daily for 3 to 6 months. Long term studies have never demonstrated any side effects from this drug.

However, the urine is expected to turn red shortly after each dose- if the urine is not red, a higher dose may be needed or the present supply may have lost potency. The injectable form of this is not available in regular drug stores. It must be manufactured (compounded) by specialty pharmacies on order.

GREEN TEA
Green, but not black or white tea contains some of the most potent antioxidants around (80-100 times more effective than vitamin C). I strongly recommend this to any patient with degenerative changes to the central nervous system. At least four cups daily are needed to reap this benefit, and the tea must be decaffeinated. A nice alternative is �TeGreen� capsules by Pharmanex. They contain 97% pure tea polyphenols and each capsule is the equivalent of four cups of decaffeinated green tea. Take one to three daily.

CORDYMAX
Cordyceps is a well-known herb from Tibet that has been shown in clinical studies to improve stamina, fatigue, and enhance lung and antioxidant function. It also raises superoxide dismutase levels, important to prevent lesions in the central nervous system, which is why this (along with green tea) is essential if neurodegeneration is part of your illness. The positive effects can be dramatic; should be used long term. USP- certified cordyceps is available from Pharmanex as "CordyMax".

CITICHOLINE
Many studies have shown benefits to cognition, especially memory. Benefits are slow to notice, so plan to use this long-term. Dose is 500 to 1000 mg twice a day."

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

If you have not tried these, I suggest you do.

Hope you can get great relief! When I was treating lyme, my lyme doc had me take alpha lipoic acid for my nerve type pain and it worked for me. He also had me use sublingual vitamin B12.

It is now 6 years since I completed my lyme treatment and I am still symptom free, enjoying my life. I have the same life I had before lyme disease.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks TF for this great info. How long did your treatment take for the nerve inflammation to subside? And was it progressive or did it go away suddenly?...
Posts: 723 | From Montreal | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deshi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deshi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have this problem big time. in my arms. I cant bend them, lift heavy things, or type or use them without significant ulnar and median nerve pain all throughout my arm. it got better but now it seems it is coming back. I want to function, but cannot with elbows that swell and nerves that hurt. I would like to know how to combat this to a bearable level.
Posts: 105 | From Ca | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a customer when I worked in a public health setting who consulted me about neuropathy in his toes so bad, that his toes were purple.

I asked him if he was diabetic, he responded that he was not.

I recommended St Johnswort oil (SJW, not the same as the tincture) topically. This is high in flavonoids which are nerve anti-inflammatories.

He came back two weeks later looking for another bottle of it, saying that it had really helped him a lot. I have found the GAIA or Herbpharm products to be excellent.

Coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides (Fats) that are used in epileptic seizure control, said an ND whose lecture I attended. I have found that rubbing it on topically has been enormously helpful to me with inflamed or painful, agitated nerves from lyme. I apply it alongside my spine to be sure it's getting to the nerve root, and to the areas needing attention. For a while I was doing 1 tbsp all over my whole body, every day. Sometimes I had to do several times a day, but it helped a lot.

Lavender oil contains linalool which is anti-inflammatory. I find the Hauschka Talma MOore Lavender Oil to be the best in my personal experience, but the coconut and SJW oils above are even better, I have found. Every person responds to different herbs, so it's good to have the list above to see what *you* respond to best. (This is not a complete list).

Homeopathic Traumeel Oil mixed with SJW oil and applied topically can be very helpful.

CAUTION : SJW internally will interfere with mainstream drug absorption. Topically it bypasses the liver so should not be a problem, but check with your doctor or pharmacist just to be sure.

Homeopathics should not interfere with mainstream drug absorption, but I think the SJW oil and coconut oil are more effective in this situation. However the homeopathics can help a lot of people. Homeopathic hypericum perforatum is derived from SJW, used for nerve injuries and anti-inflammatory. Avena Sativa is a nerve calmer, anti-inflammatory. Aconite napellus is for nerve and tendonitis issues especially where mental fears go alongside.

Magnesium (important for lyme patients, says my LLMD we lymies are deficient), B12 is a good nerve anti-inflammatory (use sublingual or injection is best of all, may require physician's administration for injection), potassium, B6....

Strong! epsom salt baths, for magnesium absorbed through the skin

Milk thistle to detoxify liver and nerve tissues, I recommend the Paradise Herb brand at www.iherb.com or www.vitacost.com (this is not the primary intervention)

See Linda Rector Page ND's book Healthy Healing, she has a page about nerve health and neuralgia. This book is a reference source in most healthfood stores but frankly I think it's invaluable to own one's own copy in the home. Very handy to look up naturopathic self-care for many ailments, detoxification, nutrition info, more.

The above information has not been evaluated by the FDA and does not diagnose, cure or prevent any disease. Drugs and herbs may interact, talk with your doctor. This is not medical advice, be sure to check this out with your doctor before you proceed. I am not a doctor. This is for adjunct support, not medical therapy.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

and does anybody have an idea why xanax alleviate this pain a bit?....
Bugg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a number of studies that show alpha lipoic acid helps the nerve pain of diabetics...they are also looking at ALA to treat nerve pain of HIV....Some chemo patients take ALA to help with nerve pain...

I don't know why more lyme patients don't take it???

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement