LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Colonics Experiences Please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Colonics Experiences Please
Jamers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I scheduled a colonic because I heard how great they are for some people but Im a little freaked out to do it.

The one bad thing I heard is that they can cause electrolyte imbalances and this can cause problems with the heart ect...

I know quacks say things to scare you but why would they make that up if it never happened?

Just nervous, I don't want to do anything to hurt myself anymore but if it will help, I'm In!

Thanks!

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did it - and I would NOT do it again.

Too much for our system (will wipe out bacteria)
and as you mentioned poses a threat to an already shaky electrolyte imbalance.

I was completely drained for a week afterwards.
I mean utter fatigue that, at the time, I hadn't experienced in over a month.

Imo you can accomplish similar results (if not better re: the liver) from the comfort of your own home with Coffee Enemas.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with enemas is that they only reach so far up the colon. Colonics go much higher and therefore have much more cleansing action.

Electrolytes can easily be replaced with drinks and supplements. NOt sure why a colonic would affect electrolye imbalance, can anyone explain the physiology of this? Doesn't really make sense to me.

I haven't heard of people commonly becoming wiped out from colonics, but then again with the infection and toxicity it's possible that there was a strong detox reaction going on? I don't know, am not a doctor, just wondering out loud...

Were it me I would be doing enemas first to clear out as much stuff as I could before going in for the colonic.

I think coffee enemas are over-hyped on this forum fyi. Yes they have many benefits and yes there is a time and a place for them. My concern would be about liver over-stimulation if doing them ongoing for the longterm. There are many herbs that can be used for detoxing and they all have different benefits.

Linda Rector Page ND has a good list in her book Healthy Healing. The book Foundations of Health by Christopher HObbs also has lots of good info.

For liver detox with "cooling" action, I myself would be inclined to do chamomile plus yarrow flowers together. Coffee enemas would be more stimulating or "warming" as said. It all depends on what a person's system needs at the time, so it's all a matter of balance.

Best wishes, CI ps I felt nothing but very good after doing the colonic I had. But we are all different....

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter did/does colonics as suggested by her LLMD because of fecal backup in her digestive track.

Yes, it was difficult at first and she had to hit it hard, but after she got the inital backup removed, she felt much better.

She just does once a month now and chooses that on her own.

I think it is very beneficial in helping to remove toxins.

Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone I've talked to says they feel so much better afterwards. Even if it does take out the good bacteria, that's so easy to replace with probiotics, kefir, fermented foods, etc. Same as electrolytes, like CI said, just add drinks and supplements to compensate.

My question is, which is the best way to go (and why?), open system or closed system? Any thoughts?

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you guys mean drinks like Gatorade? I don't know of any other electrolyte type supplements.

Good question on the type of system Gary. I'm not sure either.

--------------------

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, all you need to do is add some Himalayan salt to some water or buy some SmartWater. SmartWater is like gatorade without the sugar. Or you could buy a supplement if you wanted to http://www.iherb.com/NutriBiotic-Essential-Electrolytes-100-Capsules/5452?at=0

My doctor told me to just eat a banana before and after colonic. Haven't done one yet but three of my alternative/biological, and even one of my MD's suggested I get one. I plan to get one but in our city the only place to get it done is from a gal who does it in her home.

Not sure what her qualifications are yet. I plan to call her and see what her experience and qualifications are. I do know she uses the open system but I don't yet know which is the best system to use. Hoping others with experience with this will chime in on this.

I did a lot of research on this and can't find too much negative about it. But you need to go with your gut. If you're not comfortable with it then don't do it.

I'm doing coffee enemas for now but look forward to doing a colonic because I really feel it will benefit me. You will make the right choice. Just do your research, ask questions (like you are here) and go with your gut.

By the way, I'm scared too, but I was scared to do coffee enemas and put it off for one year before I finally got the courage to do it. Wish I had done them sooner. But I finally did it when I felt comfortable to do so. Same with you, do it when you feel right about it, or don't do it at all.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a packet of electrolyte mix found in health food stores. No sugar!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a fan of colonics. The hydrotherapist explained to me that the colon is very dry, it doesn't matter how much water we drink. Once the colon is hydrated toxins will pass through more easily.

I've never heard of electrolyte imbalance related to colonics.

I have felt nothing but better after colonics. It's made a huge difference in my lyme treatment.

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seen with my own eyes what was attached to the wall of my colon. It was a black rubber looking piece that seemed to go on forever.

This is too much info but here I go...I had to reach and pull it out. This is called the mucur lining. Years of toxic waste the colon didn't eliminate. Gross, I know, but the truth.

I did not lose this with just colonics alone. I did a 7 day cleanse (I only made it to day 6) with a naturopathic doc who also gave me supps galore to enable the body to survive a major cleanse like this.

She also did colonics. I believe I had 3-4 scheduled that week of fasting. On day 2 of fasting I thought I was going to die.

I called her crying and emotionally, physically, mentally a basket case. I don't know if I ever would this again.

Certainly wouldn't do without naturopath or doc to help. I felt like a new woman for sometime after this. It was back in '04 and I seem to recall good feeling for maybe 2 weeks.

Then the bad guys came out of hiding. They were very upset during my fasting. Very irritated from depriving them?

They just took over the weak territory again. I was so much sicker in those days. I had done tons of abx, plum full of neuro-toxins, the bacteria were in control of me.

When I neared 50 (4 yrs ago) GI issues too much unknowns and had my first colonoscopy I felt good/stronger, less toxic feeling for about a week. Then the bad guys came out of hiding again.

These bad guys are the smartiest, sneakiest, most survival minded...more so than my immune system can handle.

One of these days boys! Bam, I'm going to knock them to the moon.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Laura and map, did you do the open or closed colonic? I'm wanting to do this but trying to figure out which is the best method, open or closed?

Comments?

Gary

Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure what open or closed methods are
The stuff exiting goes out a tube.....so I guess that would be closed?

I have been so impressed with colonics that I bought the home machine. I just do them at home now

--------------------
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feeling ill after a colonic means you are having a detox reaction. These should improve over time. Also it is not a good idea to eat a big meal right before getting a colonic.

Open = you use the toilet to empty into after each fill.

Closed = a tube is attached to you and a pump in a machine drains the water out after each fill.

Electrolytes can be added to the colonic water to help with hydration and electrolyte balance.

I loved the colonics I got last year, wish insurance paid for them because they are expensive.

Contra-indications for doing colonics include the following:

Cancer of the colon or GI (gastro intestinal) tract.
Acute abdominal pain (please call us to clarify).
Recent history of GI or rectal bleeding.
Congestive heart failure.
Uncontrolled hypertension.
History of seizures.
Carcinoma of the rectum.
Abdominal surgery (may not apply to all surgeries).
Intestinal perforation.
Abdominal hernia.
Recent colon or rectal surgery.
Diverticulitis.
Recent heart attack.
General debilitation.
Vascular aneurism.
Renal insufficiency.
Epilepsy or psychoses.
Severe hemorrhoids.
Cirrhosis.
Fissures or fistula.
Pregnancy.
Ulcerative colitis.
Acute Crohn's disease.
Rectal or abdominal tumors.

The above list of contraindications is from http://tummytemple.com/faqs/colon-hydrotherapy/faqcontraindications/

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i'm out, diverticulitis and heart problems and hemorroids...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Well I am going on Tuesday. I will grab some Smart Water and some bananas since I don't have time to order any electrolytes.

Gary-Im doing the closed system. With the open system you have to 'push' like you are having a BM but the closed does it all for you.
Also, I heard the colon therapist Im seeing puts electrolytes in her water, so we'll see.

Thank you all for your input. I will let you know how it goes.

--------------------

chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coconut water has a similar balance of electrolytes to human cerebrospinal fluid, maybe a good idea to drink some of that afterward. Much better than so called Smart Water or GATORADE UGGH!!!!!!

Best, CI

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did combination of both. She would fill and I would hold until I told her to release. The tube you could actually watch as anything came through.

Water needs to be body temp or it can cramp very badly. Little FYI!

After she did this a few times. She'd fill me and tell me to hold as long as I could and then I'd run (not literally) to the 1/2 bath in the room to completely empty.

Gosh, I can't believe that was so many years ago?
7-8 yrs Wow, time flies when you're having fun?

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first thing I was told by Dr.K., now more than a decade ago, when doing parasites -- colonics2-3 back to back. Then slow down. The stuff that came was overwhelming.

There are many posts here about colonics and when searching just found this I posted 5 years ago:

This is one of the first things our doctor taught me:

When laying down flat, feel right and left lower chest. A stressed liver/gallbladder will feel very hard when pressing on it and will rise higher than the left side. You can see it with your eyes.

Don't wait for the pain. Head for colonics, colon cleanses, Liverlife, Livit 1 and Livit 2 (an excellent ayurvedic) from Ayush, do lymph drainages, coffee enemas, Castor Oil packs overnight over the area, bile support, and the many other products that are available.

We have only one gallbladder and when gone, it's gone for good and that has other consequences all over again.

By slightly pressing on the chest area, as good old fashioned doctors used to do when they still did hands-on exams, you will be able to tell the difference between the two sides. I also used to apply my KMT microcurrent to the area - two electrodes in the back two in the front - and that got things moving. Light massage and stimulation also worked for me.

There are ways to help ourselves, if we don't wait too long.

And don't forget to bring it up with your doctor.

Take care.

Feel the chest of your child, partner, etc. and it will tell you what to do. Search for the rest - good info including some very upset people I remember who gave me heck bringing up colonics.
Well, nobody hardly ever talked about parasites back then.

Good luck and do what is comfortable. Nothing works when things are plugged up!

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nothing works when things are plugged up!
I totally agree! That's what would upset me about so many doctors I saw before Lyme diagnosis - they wanted me to do all these liver cleanses and stuff like that, but I was constantly constipated and I just told them, you can't clear a blockage with broken plumbing.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done colonics on and off for 10 years. The only time they have been at all uncomfortable is if I waited too long to have one!

They can actually help (over time) the colon to reshape into a more normal configuration - the pockets can go away.

Alternating warm and cool water is helpful. Cool water does not in itself cause cramping and usually is good for helping mucous out.

Cool water should actually be used for the last fill as it helps tone up the colon.

Having to run to the bathroom during one of these seems rather crude. Closed method with gravity fed machine is what my colon hydrotherapist uses.

I have always felt energized after a colonic.

Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Wasn't crude at all. It was only steps away and it was a way for the colon to completely relaxed on the toilet and let go.

She would say stay there and get comfortable so the colon continues to want to empty.

She also did a ton of massage on my gall bladder and liver with oils while she was working on me. She would try to calm all the GI down with the touch of hand/healing and oils that stimulate.

She moved out of town. My luck. I should find another hydro-colonics person.

Tutu was posting the other day about the dry mouth, dry eyes and dry colon the other day. I'd never considered my colon was dry because I'm a water drinker.

I don't pee all day, so my body needs it. It made sense that if one end is dry so is the other end.

Pam

--------------------

Jamers
Member # 28016

I got my colonic today and here is my experience:

The colonic was not scary at all! No need to worry. Mine was open, the therapist says she puts electrolytes in the water. Also said that the only electrolyte to worry about would be Potassium. This is normally a concern for the elderly but it can be remedied with bananas.

So I ate one before and drank coconut water after, just to be safe.

I felt good for about 1 1/2 hours after then...
I had detox reactions like fatigue, weakness, then really bad headache. This was only bad for about 2 hours then slowly backed down.

I called my therapist and she said since I am so ill and probably have leaky gut syndrome from all the antibiotics that having a detox reaction is suspected. I think it was helpful and will probably do it again, but it did make me feel worse initially.

--------------------

Lauralyme
Member # 15021

It has happened that I initially feel worse.....a detox reaction, then feel remarkably better once things settle down. When I was really sick, my eye had stabbing pain for three hours following a colonic. Unbelievable what these circulating toxins do sometimes.

--------------------
~Japanese proverb

map1131
Member # 2022

Coconut water???? Tell me how to? I have big jar of coconut oil.

Pam

--------------------

Jamers
Member # 28016

Pam, I just bought the coconut water. Its different than the oil.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement