LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Severe abdomen bloating ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Severe abdomen bloating ?
gryphon78
Member # 31930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gryphon78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all I m new here, a brief on myself, was diagnosed with LD about 4 months ago. Been on Amoxi and Zithro for most of that time and have made noticeable if not amazing improvements.

My question I m hoping someone might have an idea on, is in the last few weeks I have had the worst abdomen pain and bloating, to the point of constant pain.

Now it always seems to worsen after taking my doses of ABX, yet when I took a break from those for a couple days the issue did not reslove.

My doctor dosent think its yeast issues though I m suspicious it is, anyway I m just trying to figure something out as its making it very difficult to want to take my ABX.

For what its worth I am religious about my probiotics, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks : )

Posts: 72 | From chico, ca | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter 12 had the very same issues with Stomach bloating (she looked pregnant) and severe stomach PAIN that bounced around.

Took her to GI doc ran many tests all of which were Normal No obstuction, blockage yadda, yadda, yadda...

She too is on azithro and minocycline for lyme. She did test lactose intollerant..

We have been doing a GLUTEN Free diet for the past 4 months and her PAINS have disappeared!!! Although still bloated...she's NOT in as much discomfort.

Stomach issues' could be Bart!

Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marine6624
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marine6624     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch your diet , such things as salad can cause pain in the intestines , a bloating , sharp knife like pain . Mine used to happen about an hour or so after eating , and would last approx. 4-5 hours after as it moved through my intestinal tract .

What your sugar/artificial sweetner intake , avoid them as much as possible !

Posts: 198 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marine6624:
Watch your diet , such things as salad can cause pain in the intestines , a bloating , sharp knife like pain . Mine used to happen about an hour or so after eating , and would last approx. 4-5 hours after as it moved through my intestinal tract .

This happens to me sometimes when eating a salad or other raw veggies. Did yours go away?

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gryphon78
Member # 31930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gryphon78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea I m really watching the sugar, well pretty much none cept for what is naturally in food.

I may have to really start watching the wheat like was said, though with a metabolism as fast as mine I need all the carbs I can get lol

I ve tried changing my diet around a few times lately and nothing really seems to change it.... thanks for all the advice though guys [Smile]

Posts: 72 | From chico, ca | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marine6624
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marine6624     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wheat is not an issue . I have monitored this and it is bulky raw veggies causing a bloating with pain . Mine would come and go , but like I said since I stop bulky salad it has gone away [Smile]

Eat raw Spinach or spring mix much gentler [Smile]
Avoid store bought salad dressings .

Posts: 198 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gryphon78
Member # 31930

Thanks Marine, I m not a huge veggie eater anyway but I do eat a lot of raw ones so that might have something to do with it.
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's the veggies....Try taking a Beano tablet before eating!!

The pains could just be GAS! This helped my daughter Greatly!

Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raw vegan runner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for raw vegan runner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been using enteric coated peppermint oil from Solaray. It works GREAT! Prior to using it I had pain, bloating, etc, etc despite being dairy/gluten/allergen free. This fixed me right up in a matter of days.
Posts: 206 | From In the shadow of a mountain | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like plain old candida to me. are you taking probiotics correctly and sbc?

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gryphon78
Member # 31930

well I m taking probiotics, not sure what you mean by correctly ? If you mean as far from ABX as possible then yes. As far as SBC what is that ?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two hours away from any antibiotics is what kayak means. Make sure you are taking saccromyces boulardii to protect against c.diff.

Gotta be yeast.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gryphon78
Member # 31930

ah yea I m taking both never heard it called SBC I guess.... but yea I m taking more than 2 hours apart and everything, just nothing helps, I figured its yeast must just be really tough yeast
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i never heard it called sbc until last week!!!

Excellent probiotics:

VSL#3
http://www.vsl3.com/order.asp

Theralac
www.theralac.com

Whatever you take, take at least 100 CFU's per day. Wish someone had told me that 10 yrs ago!

Candida diet and elimination:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

http://www.wholeapproach.com/diet/

YEAST SYMPTOMS:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/104816#000000

Stymielymie's thread
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/104860#000015

DIET, DIET, DIET is the key. Then, be sure to follow the 5 step plan outlined below. It was developed by my naturopath. It works.

"Successful control and elminiation of a Candida Albicans overgrowth requires a multifaceted program as described below. Failure to follow ALL the steps simultaneously will result in slow progress and will lengthen healing time significantly. The program should be tailored to the individual and must balance the need to eliminate the Candida and deprive it of its food source while insuring proper nutrition for the individual."

Five Steps to Candida Elimination:

1. You must starve it into submission by eliminating its food source.

2. You must kill it with anti-fungal herbs and supplements. [e.g....garlic, onion, caprylic acid, Pau D'Arco capsules or tea, clove, grapefruit seed extract, olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, tea tree oil, Echinacea, Goldenseal, black walnut, MSM, barberry root, uva ursi, neem leaf, biotin]

3. You must reestablish the proper balance and quantity of probiotic bacteria in the digestive tract. [...multi-strain lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus capsules with FOS should be taken between meals to maximize repopulation of the digestive tract by beneficial bacteria.]

4. You must reestablish proper levels of all B vitamins (yeast free) and utilize other immune enhancing supplements to boost immune system function. [e.g ... B complex vitamins (yeast free), biotin, beta 1-3 glucan, colostrum, maitake mushroom, vitamins A, C, E, zinc and selenium]

5. You must cleanse and heal the digestive tract to promote proper elimination of toxins and Candida and assimilation of nutrients. [e.g...chlorophyll, MSM, omega 3 fatty acids found in flax seed and salmon oils, GLA found in borage, evening primrose and black currant oils. Pantothenic acid, digestive enzymes between meals]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone who has a weakened immune system should be cautious with the saccromyces boulardii.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gryphon78
Member # 31930

Really why would that be philly ??
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm curious too...have used sbc from the beginning and all it has ever done is help me

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme paralyzes the abdominal muscles, causing distention (bloating = fullness to a doctor, so the correct terminology is distention when you are talking about how far your belly sticks out).

Treating the Lyme is the only way to get rid of this, but detoxing may help some.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

quote:
Originally posted by gryphon78:
Really why would that be philly ??

I started looking into it last week after coming across someone who had fungemia. He was taking saccharomyces boulardii and that was thought to be a contributing factor. So I researched it a bit. I came across some studies...not all of which are available for free online.

I did post one of the articles I came across in another thread recently after reading another post. Here it is again. I'll see what others are online and post them.

I'm not saying not to take it. It seems to be fine for most people but I know some on this board are pretty sick. For some...whose immune systems are really compromised, or have multiple comorbidities, I would just be cautious. That is all.

Anyway...here are some links.

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/41/11/1559.full

Background. Saccharomyces cerevisiae (also known as �baker's yeast� or �brewer's yeast�) is mostly considered to be an occasional digestive commensal. However, since the 1990s, there have been a growing number of reports about its implication as an etiologic agent of invasive infection. A particular feature of such infections is their association with a probiotic preparation of Saccharomyces boulardii (a subtype of S. cerevisiae) for treatment various diarrheal disorders.

Methods. We collected published case reports, through May 2005, of invasive Saccharomyces infection by use of a Medline query. Epidemiological and clinical charts and therapeutic strategies were analyzed.

Results. We found 92 cases of Saccharomyces invasive infection. Predisposing factors were similar to those of invasive candidiasis, with intravascular catheter and antibiotic therapy being the most frequent. Blood was the most frequent site of isolation (for 72 patients). S. boulardii accounted for 51.3% of fungemias and was exclusively isolated from blood. Compared with patients infected with S. cerevisiae, patients infected with S. boulardii were more frequently immunocompetent and had a better prognosis. Saccharomyces invasive infection was clinically indistinguishable from an invasive candidiasis. Overall, S. cerevisiae clinical isolates exhibited low susceptibility to amphotericin B and azole derivatives. However, global outcome was favorable in 62% of the cases. Treatment with intravenous amphotericin B and fluconazole, in combination with central vascular catheter removal, were effective therapeutic options.

Conclusion. Saccharomyces organisms should now be added to the growing list of emerging fungal pathogens. Special caution should be taken regarding the use of S. boulardii probiotic preparations.

------------------------------

If you read the next abstract, it does state in the conclusion that complications are rare.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14648435

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement