LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » small dose predisone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: small dose predisone
lymewreck36
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewreck36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone here taken or are you taking extremely low dose predisone to keep an autoimmune disease at by whilst simultaneously treating tick born diseases?

Very important, as I believe I am having a mixed autoimmune adverse reaction to my meds. Been happening a very, very long time, over the years, and has become unbearable.

Resembles sjogren's in many ways with drying of mucus membranes. Lessens steadily when medication is withdrawn, but then babs/lyme pull me under in no time.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Mary

Posts: 1032 | From North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would stay away from all steroids, period.

i had shots in my spine before i knew i had lyme. big mistake..

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewreck36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If only it were that simple. I have been staying away from the predisone for 10 years while treating lyme, and adverse drug reactions/autoimmune reactions taking me down. I can no longer tolerate any lyme/babs meds at all.

So what will kill you faster, the tick born diseases or the predisone?

Mary

Posts: 1032 | From North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Interesting quote Randibear. How true.

"Within the veil of nature there is always a touch of sorrow."

Who said that?

As the years have progressed, I have found that sorrow lines so many things. Like three daughters with chronic lyme/babs.

Mary

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's from my favorite movie, jodhaa akbar. it's an indian film and that's in one of the songs they sing.

if you get a chance to see it, you can get it from netflix.

beautiful beautiful movie.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, and many on here, are on low dose cortef...30mgs max and it will not affect lyme. It is the LLMD's who are prescribing it to help with low functioning adrenals. It is a miracle drug for so many who take it

I do not feel that your LLMD would say ok to it knowing it would hurt you. Feel better

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was put on low dose cortef for weak adrenals. My LLMD gave it to me. I'm on 10mg a day. When I don't take it I have more trouble with cranial nerve pain, Raynaud's and Sjogren's.

All caused by Lyme, I'm sure.

Have you been tested for Sjogren's?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewreck36
Member # 4395

I looked up oral cortef and found the following listed, along with discussions of severe weight gain because of the medication. How is your body handling this?

"If you have any of these other conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take hydrocortisone:"

�liver disease (such as cirrhosis);

�kidney disease;

�a thyroid disorder;

�diabetes;

�a history of malaria;

�tuberculosis;

�osteoporosis;

�a muscle disorder such as myasthenia gravis;

�glaucoma or cataracts;

�herpes infection of the eyes;

�stomach ulcers, ulcerative colitis, or diverticulitis;

�depression or mental illness;

�congestive heart failure; or

�high blood pressure

lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Also, a detailed list of possible side effects looks like a nightmare.

What kind of dosing are you taking? Is it a very, very low dose, and does that help a lot.

Right now I have no quality of life. I live in Europe, but not forever, and I can't even walk around a city. WE have purchased my first wheelchair......great, but Europe is NOT wheelchair friendly. Rome was a nightmare, but Barcelona was very doable.

Anyway, My girls are getting older, and I'm plagued by thoughts of not living to see my grandchildren.

Please share experiences with the oral cortef. And thanks so much again for all your answers.

Mary

lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Also, a detailed list of possible side effects looks like a nightmare.

What kind of dosing are you taking? Is it a very, very low dose, and does that help a lot.

Right now I have no quality of life. I live in Europe, but not forever, and I can't even walk around a city. WE have purchased my first wheelchair......great, but Europe is NOT wheelchair friendly. Rome was a nightmare, but Barcelona was very doable.

Anyway, My girls are getting older, and I'm plagued by thoughts of not living to see my grandchildren.

Please share experiences with the oral cortef. And thanks so much again for all your answers.

Mary

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement