LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Breathing trouble / blood gas test results

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breathing trouble / blood gas test results
sickofsick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofsick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
13 year old has had trouble getting a breath for months. Also frequent yawning. No doctor has been as worried about this as I am, including in the ER. Recently we have seen a neurologist who is very concerned. Blood gas test shows

low tCO2, low HC03a, low pCO2(T), high AaDO2, and pH is high

Anyone experienced this? He is trying to get us a consult with a pulmonologist.

I still believe this is part of the lyme picture. Also concerned about possible hypercoagulation. They are having lots of trouble getting a vein these days.

I really need an experienced LLMD. Around here we are relying on healthcare that understands bits and pieces but I often feel I know more than them.

tick bite 6/10
sick since 9/10
12/10 diagnosed

11/29/10 Quest Western Blot reactive IgM band 23
12/30/10 Quest Western Blot totally negative
2/23/11 Igenix Western Blot IgM band 41 IND, band 66 +, IgG band 41 ++. All Coinfections negative

yesterday electradermal testing detected babesia and bartonella. Earlier one showed Erlichia

I have seen spirochete form in blood with dark field microscope. Also intracellular somethings

Maybe these coinfections are showing up??

Abx for first month 100 mg doxycycline, cats claw
Abx second month 2000 amoxycillin, 100 doxycycline, small dose flagyl

nutritional IV': mostly vit C, HCL, hydrogen peroxide

Samento & Cumanda

Any thoughts appreciated!

Posts: 312 | From Utah | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure how this would be related to lyme but I can tell you what info I know concerning blood gases. I'm no expert so take the information as you will.

In looking at these results, you have a high pH and low CO2. The high pH suggests alkolosis and the low CO2 suggests respiratory. So this looks like respiratory alkolosis.

This can be from several different things such as fever, increased anxiety, or pain....to the more concerning issues such as heart problems, and hypoxia.

It is actually the most common form of acid base imbalance and commonly seen in chronically ill patients. The good news is that is rarely life threatening and treating whatever the underlying condition is should resolve the issue.

What was her pH? If it isn't higher than 7.5, then you don't do anything. You can run into even more problems if trying to correct the situation some times. You need to correct whatever the underlying stimulus or cause of the problem is.

In this case, it could be related to the lyme but in what way? I'm not sure. I do wonder if she is getting air hunger; possibly from babesia? If she was getting that sensation, it could be that she gets anxious (who wouldn't? It is scary!) and breathing rapidly which could lead to decreased CO2 levels which causes the pH to rise and we see a resp alkalosis.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

I just tried to do a quick search on google to see if there was any info on babesia and resp alkalosis. There is but it is wit dogs! I do have to leave for work soon but I can ask to see if this is a possibility.

She also has a low bicarb which I would say means she is partially compensated. This is the body's way of trying to correct the problem.

Also, that her pH was high would suggest this is an acute situation. In people who have chronic resp. alkolosis, their pH is most often normal.

What was her paO2? You didn't mention that.

I would definitely try to get in a see someone who can follow up and maybe get another blood gas soon. Hope that you can find some answers!

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bearlythere
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bearlythere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a resp. therapist for 21 years before I got sick. What Philly78 said is accurate as far as resp. alkalosis.

It is very indicative of hyperventalation although the cause would have to evaluated by a good pulmonary doctor.

Many factors could contribute, as stated by Philly 78 post.

It also would be helpful if you had the Pao2 value to check for hypoxia.

Posts: 131 | From Maryland/USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the symptoms of respiratory alkalosis and would frequently hyperventilate. I didn't have that test, but I had breathing tests since my sister is asthmatic. It was determined that I was hyperventilating.

I used a brown paper bag for it when I would really have issues. I learned to breath out, and hold my breath out. That would help.

Mine was caused by babesia.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickofsick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofsick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. Here are the exact abnormal readings:

pH 7.529
HC03a 19.6
tC02 20.3
pC02 24.0
HC03a 19.3
02Hb 71.3
02Sat 72.8
AaD02 51.8
p02(T) 37.9
ct02(a)14.5

Pa02 not on this report

Hoping to see someone in the next few days.

Posts: 312 | From Utah | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement